• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile gacha game 'Blue Archive' inadvertently takes down Korean Videogame Rating agency

Pejo

Sources are only on Twitter and in Korean news sites for now, but essentially:

• Ratings board tries to classify game as 18+, basically a death knell for a game in the genre
  • Devs fight back, ultimately splitting the game into 2 versions, one censored to meet the 16+ rating and the other with all content as is
  • Fans file a petition in disagreement
  • The petition results in an internal audit, since it's a government agency.
  • Finds evidence of corruption, ignorance of duty, and embezzlement
  • Caught people in the agency mining bitcoin on duty and using internal data for profit
  • Agency shut down.

Here are the sources I could find:

I mostly find this funny as I detest censorship, but apparently the main story of the game itself is essentially about taking down corrupt individuals.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Thanks for the info! After the Sewol tragedy I knew that Korea had some problems with corruption. But this is huge too. I hope that it will be fixed soon and cleaned well. I have seen this agency used for info about launch dates for some games. So I believed it to be all above board. The irony...

Madonis

Gacha games are horribly predatory money sinks but I guess that's one good thing this one was able to do.

turntables GIF

Sources are only on Twitter and in Korean news sites for now, but essentially:

• Ratings board tries to classify game as 18+, basically a death knell for a game in the genre
  • Devs fight back, ultimately splitting the game into 2 versions, one censored to meet the 16+ rating and the other with all content as is
  • Fans file a petition in disagreement
  • The petition results in an internal audit, since it's a government agency.
  • Finds evidence of corruption, ignorance of duty, and embezzlement
  • Caught people in the agency mining bitcoin on duty and using internal data for profit
  • Agency shut down.

Here are the sources I could find:

I mostly find this funny as I detest censorship, but apparently the main story of the game itself is essentially about taking down corrupt individuals.

Guess that means no more official "leaks" for unannounced games. 😔

Top Bottom