• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA General |OT| We just wanna bang GAF

SleepDoctor

Banned
I love Masvidal but am disappointed for Burns as I thought he looked awesome against Woodley and would like to see him ride that momentum.

Should still be a great fight and I'm sure Masvidal will turn up in shape. Usman is a tough match up for anyone though. Will be interested to see how Masvidals TDD holds up against such a powerful wrestler.

Burns looked good but Im not sold as he fought an unmotivated, on his way out Woodley. Its more a case of him turning up for the biggest fight of his career and Woodley probably took it like an easy fight.

Masvidal is a very underrated wrestler and plenty of guys that have rolled with him have said that. Remember he trains with Yoel who is a monster of a wrestler and silver medalist in the Olympics.

JimiNutz

Banned
Burns looked good but Im not sold as he fought an unmotivated, on his way out Woodley. Its more a case of him turning up for the biggest fight of his career and Woodley probably took it like an easy fight.

Masvidal is a very underrated wrestler and plenty of guys that have rolled with him have said that. Remember he trains with Yoel who is a monster of a wrestler and silver medalist in the Olympics.

This is good analysis and I suppose you are right about Burns in the sense that Woodley didn't look his best at all and maybe didn't take the fight seriously.

I know Masvidal has really good TDD and that's a great point about training with Yoel. Especially as Yoel is an incredibly strong and explosive wrestler. If Masvidal is used to dealing with that beast regularly then Usman probably won't really surprise him with his power. On the flip side Usman definitely hasn't faced a striker of Masvidals quality when you look at his body of work.

SleepDoctor

Banned
This is good analysis and I suppose you are right about Burns in the sense that Woodley didn't look his best at all and maybe didn't take the fight seriously.

I know Masvidal has really good TDD and that's a great point about training with Yoel. Especially as Yoel is an incredibly strong and explosive wrestler. If Masvidal is used to dealing with that beast regularly then Usman probably won't really surprise him with his power. On the flip side Usman definitely hasn't faced a striker of Masvidals quality when you look at his body of work.

Exactly, if you look at the Colby fight you see how bad his striking really is. He got rocked multiple times. A lot of people, including the judges iirc actually had the scoring in Colby's favor.

The difference with his other fights is his striking is more successful because of the threat of a takedown. So it opens up his strikes. If Masvidal can successfully defend most takedowns in the first two rounds, it will set the tone for a very short night for Usman imo.

JimiNutz

Banned
Exactly, if you look at the Colby fight you see how bad his striking really is. He got rocked multiple times. A lot of people, including the judges iirc actually had the scoring in Colby's favor.

The difference with his other fights is his striking is more successful because of the threat of a takedown. So it opens up his strikes. If Masvidal can successfully defend most takedowns in the first two rounds, it will set the tone for a very short night for Usman imo.

Yeah I agree and expect Masvidals striking to be a considerable step up. Like you said it really comes down to how well Masvidal deals with the grappling.

Even if Usman doesn't take him down I imagine he will try to keep Masvidal against the cage, allow him little space and try to frustrate and grind him out. I'm expecting Masvidal to catch Usman relatively early though.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Yeah I agree and expect Masvidals striking to be a considerable step up. Like you said it really comes down to how well Masvidal deals with the grappling.

Even if Usman doesn't take him down I imagine he will try to keep Masvidal against the cage, allow him little space and try to frustrate and grind him out. I'm expecting Masvidal to catch Usman relatively early though.

Im hoping its something as brutal as the Askren ko. Yea I expect Usman to try stalling as much as he can. I wish there yellow and red cards like in pride for shit like that.

JimiNutz

Banned
Im hoping its something as brutal as the Askren ko. Yea I expect Usman to try stalling as much as he can. I wish there yellow and red cards like in pride for shit like that.

Yeah you really need a good ref that's not afraid to break them up if position isn't being advanced. Pride fights were generally always entertaining and the yellow card system was interesting. I think having fights in a ring helped as well as they'd just fall through the ropes and have to get reset anyway. Definitely seemed a bit harder to stall there.

GymWolf

There is no defense against a guy that literally lift and slam you on the ground.

And lol at usman being rocket multiple times against colby, usman was fresh like a rose after the 4 round while colby had a broken jaw, we can argue that jorge hit far stronger than pillow punches colby but he also deosn't have nearly the same wrestling ability or takedown defense and he is not a natural welter like colby.

You can train with hulk but that doesn't mean that you can beat a lesser but still strong as fuck opponent.

Let's see how it goes.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
There is no defense against a guy that literally lift and slam you on the ground.

And lol at usman being rocket multiple times against colby, usman was fresh like a rose after the 4 round while colby had a broken jaw, we can argue that jorge hit far stronger than pillow punches colby but he also deosn't have nearly the same wrestling ability or takedown defense and he is not a natural welter like colby.

You can train with hulk but that doesn't mean that you can beat a lesser but still strong as fuck opponent.

Let's see how it goes.

Ok Idk what fight you were watching or if you saw the whole fight. Usman got cracked a bunch of times and Colby's jaw was never broken, they thought it was. And both guys were gassed by the 4th.

You probably have never trained or maybe had a fight in your life if you believe that as well. You might need to rewatch the fight.

GymWolf

Ok Idk what fight you were watching or if you saw the whole fight. Usman got cracked a bunch of times and Colby's jaw was never broken, they thought it was. And both guys were gassed by the 4th.

You probably have never trained or maybe had a fight in your life if you believe that as well. You might need to rewatch the fight.
the jaw was broken, some media showed the radiography and i watched that fight 2-3 times, usman got hit by some clean shot and it was a bit rocked, but not completely rocked, far from that, he never even tried a takedown during these "rocket" moments so you know that it was nothing too dungerous for him.

and i trained a lot in my life for various sports (judo, basket, tennis, swimming, body building), i still train to this day, and usman was tired but not completely gassed, maybe you have to watch more matches with actual exausted fighters like most of heavyweight fights or maybe my english is more shitty than i thought and tired and gassed are the same exact thing :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
the jaw was broken, some media showed the radiography and i watched that fight 2-3 times, usman got hit by some clean shot and it was a bit rocked, but not completely rocked, far from that, he never even tried a takedown during these "rocket" moments so you know that it was nothing too dungerous for him.

and i trained a lot in my life for various sports (judo, basket, tennis, swimming, body building), i still train to this day, and usman was tired but not completely gassed, maybe you have to watch more matches with actual exausted fighters like most of heavyweight fights or maybe my english is more shitty than i thought and tired and gassed are the same exact thing :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

He was not fresh like you said and yes he was rocked. You said he wasn't at first. And none of them went for tds cuz when you have wrestlers at that high a level they usually cancel each other out and just waste energy for nothing.

Ive trained in plenty disciplines but right now im just into fitness and a little boxing. May pick up mma again when time frees up.

Edit: this fight is a different story. Masvidal doesn't have any wrestling credentials so Usman will look to exploit that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

He was not fresh like you said and yes he was rocked. You said he wasn't at first. And none of them went for tds cuz when you have wrestlers at that high a level they usually cancel each other out and just waste energy for nothing.

Ive trained in plenty disciplines but right now im just into fitness and a little boxing. May pick up mma again when time frees up.
he was lightly jumping\dancing while returning in the corner after the end of the 4th round, that is not what i call a gassed man, but just looks his facial expression after the face off at the center of the ring, you can't fake that if you are really exausted, he was not fresh but it was still pretty aggressive in the 5th round and he knocked colby on the ground for 2-3 times, call his condition what you want but it was not gassed like blades was 2 week ago, not even close.

for the TK stuff, dude usman tried multiple takedowns against woodley, a better and stronger wrestler than colby and this was even before everyone realized that tyrone was not there that night, he still tried in the first 2 rounds, i'm pretty sure that him not trying takedowns on colby was not dictated by the fear of failure, that guy can probably ragdoll everyone at will in that division, he is unlikable as it come but he is a specimen.

i always want to start with some light mma, but i already did enough damage to my body throught the years with my work and bb, i don't know if i can sustain yet anither sport with major strain on the articulations and such.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
he was lightly jumping\dancing while returning in the corner after the end of the 4th round, that is not what i call a gassed man, but just looks his facial expression after the face off at the center of the ring, you can't fake that if you are really exausted, he was not fresh but it was still pretty aggressive in the 5th round and he knocked colby on the ground for 2-3 times, call his condition what you want but it was not gassed like blades was 2 week ago, not even close.

for the TK stuff, dude usman tried multiple takedowns against woodley, a better and stronger wrestler than colby and this was even before everyone realized that tyrone was not there that night, he still tried in the first 2 rounds, i'm pretty sure that him not trying takedowns on colby was not dictated by the fear of failure, that guy can probably ragdoll everyone at will in that division, he is unlikable as it come but he is a specimen.

i always want to start with some light mma, but i already did enough damage to my body throught the years with my work and bb, i don't know if i can sustain yet anither sport with major strain on the articulations and such.

Its called a "poker face". Fighters do it a lot. Sometimes they even refuse to even sit between rounds to give off the impression that their fresh to their opponent. They get rocked too sometimes and play it off and their opponent doesn't realize it so they don't push for the finish either.

Woodley hasn't used his wrestling in years though. Thats the big difference, he's just not the same hungry fighter he used to be. He fell in love with his overhand right (the only punch he basically kept throwing at Burns).

Usman himself is a specimen. He says he walks around at 4% body fat. His striking is just very green. Im expecting ap heavy lay and pray strategy from him.

GymWolf

Its called a "poker face". Fighters do it a lot. Sometimes they even refuse to even sit between rounds to give off the impression that their fresh to their opponent. They get rocked too sometimes and play it off and their opponent doesn't realize it so they don't push for the finish either.

Woodley hasn't used his wrestling in years though. Thats the big difference, he's just not the same hungry fighter he used to be. He fell in love with his overhand right (the only punch he basically kept throwing at Burns).

Usman himself is a specimen. He says he walks around at 4% body fat. His striking is just very green. Im expecting ap heavy lay and pray strategy from him.
he used his wrestling to fuck up till after the punch to the face, in that fight he looked extremely good and that was the last fight tha usman watched before their fight.
again, i'm pretty sure that usman wasn't scared of wrestling with colby, he just knew that colby was a pillow punchers and he choose to prove a point to all the people who called a boring fighter.

i think he is gonna stand a little to prove a point and then he is gonna wrestlefuck him into oblivion.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
he used his wrestling to fuck up till after the punch to the face, in that fight he looked extremely good and that was the last fight tha usman watched before their fight.
again, i'm pretty sure that usman wasn't scared of wrestling with colby, he just knew that colby was a pillow punchers and he choose to prove a point to all the people who called a boring fighter.

i think he is gonna stand a little to prove a point and then he is gonna wrestlefuck him into oblivion.

Till is overrated and has no grappling. Not really a good example. He just timed a td under Till's left straight. When he last was really using his wrestling was in Strikeforce.

Look at all the the wrestler vs wrestler fights. They usually end up brawls like that or are just a lot of clinch work. They've both even said they were aware of each other's wrestling credentials.

With Masvidal it would be opposite. Wrestle him to exhaustion then maybe strike a little.

TthcjP5.gif

GymWolf

gastelum you idiot...

lol benavidez.

edit: holy fuck at those body kick from this fiziev guy:messenger_grimmacing_
ooof this guy is legit, let's see if he can finish diakiese in the third.

Last edited:
Top Bottom