• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 21 is coming to Game Pass on day 1 (April 20)

Leyasu

Banned
Ok. That excuses Nintendo....maybe a console manufacturer with a predominantly
American user base would thrive if they made an MLB game. Maybe it was lost in their huge amount of first party output over that time?
With their paltry amount of studios until recently, I don't think that it would have made much sense to tie one up making a baseball game.

What was the answer to the "real question" of why no one else made a baseball game anyway?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Matt from Reee

My understanding (which I’m not presenting as facts, just what I’ve heard) is:
  • The MLB effectively strong armed Sony into making The Show multi platform. They wanted more revenue from more platform sales but also didn’t want to fuck up the good thing they already had, so they offered SIE the right carrots and sticks to make that happen.
  • Since MLB is the publisher on Xbox, the GP deal was worked out with them. Sony obviously earns money from the deal, but they weren’t the primary negotiating party.

VAVA Mk2

PW3gLR7.gif

Schnauzer

I am really passionate about this topic. I'm just going to discuss how I personally feel about it.

I am a MLB the Show fanboy. It started with MLB 2006 the Show. I have always bought a PlayStation day 1 since MLB 2006. Up until this point, I had no desire in the Xbox. I have a nice PC, and didn't see the value in the latest Xbox.

This changes that. MLB The Show 21 is not coming to PC. If this happens again next year, I will add the latest Xbox to my collection. Xbox will just become a subscription service machine. I will be buying less games in the hopes that they eventually come to Game Pass... I will never buy a Bethesda game day one again. I will wait for the eventual GamePass release.

I personally will spend less money on gaming. My gaming habits will change. Based on my own reaction, I do not understand how this is good for the industry.

Interfectum

I am really passionate about this topic. I'm just going to discuss how I personally feel about it.

I am a MLB the Show fanboy. It started with MLB 2006 the Show. I have always bought a PlayStation day 1 since MLB 2006. Up until this point, I had no desire in the Xbox. I have a nice PC, and didn't see the value in the latest Xbox.

This changes that. MLB The Show 21 is not coming to PC. If this happens again next year, I will add the latest Xbox to my collection. Xbox will just become a subscription service machine. I will be buying less games in the hopes that they eventually come to Game Pass... I will never buy a Bethesda game day one again. I will wait for the eventual GamePass release.

I personally will spend less money on gaming. My gaming habits will change. Based on my own reaction, I do not understand how this is good for the industry.
You will spend less, some will spend more, others will spend that haven’t before via PC, streaming or Series S.

They aren’t after your game sales, they are after a ton a GP subs.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I think that last point is a very good point, but at the same time we have to realize that the games going to gamepass wouldnt have been big sellers. Outriders was never going to do Destiny numbers. No one had even heard of this game until the Digital Foundry faceoffs were posted. At best, it wouldve sold 1 million each on both consoles lifetime. maybe more if the world of mouth had been good. MLB sells a million every year. That's $60 million. Not really that much money for someone like Microsoft.

We are seeing Netflix, Amazon, HBO and Disney get into massive bidding wars on mediocre stuff like Knives Out sequels. I mean I like the movie but someone spent $450 million on two sequels for it. Why? I was reading an article about how these big streaming services HAVE to spend so much money because they HAVE to keep their subscribers from cancelling their subs. So in a way, its good for consumers and developers because companies will end up in a bidding war just to get content on their platforms. Its really no different from producing expensive exclusives like TLOU2 to sell playstations. The only difference is that now you have to dramatically increase your content production because instead of offering a few exclusives over a 7 year console cycle you now have to do it on a monthly basis.

If MS paid $60 million for MLB The Show which they probably didnt, but lets assume they did, they can literally write it off as part of their content production budget. Gamepass has 18 million monthly subscribers. Thats a $180 million being made every month. They can easily afford MLB The Show.

Netflix plans to spend $19 BILLION on new content in 2021. Thats almost $2 billion a month. They also have 200 million subscribers so their budget is around $2 billion. Guess what they are spending all of it on new content because THEY HAVE TO. If they dont disney, hbo and amazon will steal their subs.

Schnauzer

The hypocrisy is amazing.

I saw someone use the term rentpass in a thread about Sony's rental service. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What are you guys talking about? Are you implying that I care about the Avengers or have PSNow? When did it become cool to belittle people with false accusations around here?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
What are you guys talking about? Are you implying that I care about the Avengers or have PSNow? Is it cool to make up stuff?
I don’t know was it you I was referring to? I honestly didn’t even look at the name. If it was I made no implications as to whether or not you cared about those things.

I was making an observation about the irony of calling Gamepass Rentpass in a thread about PSNow, and that is not “just making up stuff.”

Interfectum

What are you guys talking about? Are you implying that I care about the Avengers or have PSNow? When did it become cool to belittle people with false accusations around here?
I think you are looking at the wrong reply string as they aren't referring to your post.

Excess

It isn’t easy. Konami has the current best engine. SDS is 2. MLBs rbi is a very, very distant 3rd. Another reason they needed to go to Sony.
I unironically miss 2K.

I remember the game had so many bugs, and the graphics looked like they were from 2004, but I think the gameplay was superior to Show, specifically the motion pitch system and analog swinging. I absolutely dominated in online play. Good times.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Unrelated to the game, but.... lol

San Diego Padres star Fernando Tatis Jr. suffers partial shoulder dislocation on hard swing, will undergo MRI​

leo-j

Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man as a game. They own partial rights to the movies. They made a deal to get the game rights years ago.

Andodalf

Banned
Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man as a game. They own partial rights to the movies. They made a deal to get the game rights years ago.

They do not own the game rights, Disney does. They have some agreement to use the license, seemingly exclusively for AAA games (so mobile games are fine) which was negotiated in tandem with spider being in the MCU

lefty1117

Gold Member
Man between this and American Truck Simulator (they recently released Texas AND Wyoming) I am totally set for gaming for the next period of time

Top Bottom