• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 21 is coming to Game Pass on day 1 (April 20)

Three

the open floodgates GIF

Edit:

Sony has movie rights, those game rights were like a miracle and is hanging by a thread. Before this it was a firm thread i would of believed because of how successful the game was but now...now Marvel can ask why MLB can and they don't. AFAIK at least, anyone it's welcome to correct me if there is info suggesting Sony secured Spiderman game rights somehow.
If anything it would just mean no Spiderman game made by Insomniac anymore. It would become some Square Enix or Activision game like Avengers or the previous Spiderman games.

Last edited:

Keihart

If anything it would just mean no Spiderman game made by Insomniac anymore. It would become some Square Enix or Activision game like Avengers or the previous Spiderman games.
Why? Sony didn't mind keeping MLB in PS Studios, why would they want to stop working on Spiderman?

reksveks

Sony has movie rights, those game rights were like a miracle and is hanging by a thread. Before this it was a firm thread i would of believed because of how successful the game was but now...now Marvel can ask why MLB can and they don't. AFAIK at least, anyone it's welcome to correct me if there is info suggesting Sony secured Spiderman game rights somehow.
Yeah don't think it's ever come out completely or confirmed buts it rumoured that Disney got back the ability to use Spider-man in the MCU for the game rights but this hasnt been confirmed yet. The issue for marvel could be that it could be a similar issue to the deal with Fox, where Sony is able to just renew the license as long as they are producing games. No one really knows.

If I was a license holder, I would be interested in seeing how much Microsoft is willing to pay me for gamepass or exclusively.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Why would they have to refund preorders if that happens? Wtf. Did xbox refund preorders when it was announced for gamepass? PSNow is just gamepass for playstation.
I meant canceled pre-orders if they put it on PS+.

Three

Why? Sony didn't mind keeping MLB in PS Studios, why would they want to stop working on Spiderman?
San Diego studios has sport franchises . MLB The Show is their bread and butter for years without it I think they would really struggle. If MLB went shopping for other studios it would have been bad for them finding a franchise or project.

Insomniac have other game franchises like Ratchet and Clank and they can move on to other IPs. It all depends on if Sony see it as worthwhile creating a game on competing platforms. With insomniac games I don't think they will if they lose the exclusive licence but who knows, I could be wrong and they might not mind.

I meant canceled pre-orders if they put it on PS+.
Oh. The person you replied to said PSNow though.

Last edited:

Calverz

I have never played a baseball game but i will download this in gamepass and play for about an hour to help the numbers look good and encourage sony to release more games on gamepass. Hell bring gamepass to my ps5. That would be dope.

ManaByte

Yeah don't think it's ever come out completely or confirmed buts it rumoured that Disney got back the ability to use Spider-man in the MCU for the game rights but this hasnt been confirmed yet. The issue for marvel could be that it could be a similar issue to the deal with Fox, where Sony is able to just renew the license as long as they are producing games. No one really knows.

If I was a license holder, I would be interested in seeing how much Microsoft is willing to pay me for gamepass or exclusively.

It had absolutely nothing, zero, to do with "game rights". Spider-Man still falls under Marvel Games, which is 100% Disney still. The Sony-Marvel deal came down to Sony wanting to use Tom Holland in their universe of Spider-Man villains to kind of force their crap into the MCU (which is why Keaton's Vulture is in Morbius). Marvel agreed to share Spider-Man in that way, Sony is happy, and the deal continued. Videogames had nothing to do with it.

The game exclusivity came down to Marvel Games offering Insomniac & Sony to make an exclusive Marvel game and they could select any character they wanted. Insomniac chose to do Spider-Man.

MacReady13

Yes, but if you're playing Outriders, you obviously have Xbox Live, which means you can convert all of your Xbox Live subscription time into Game Pass Ultimate for a dollar (up to 3 years).
What? Please explain this to me in detail...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Let your gamepass sub expire. Buy 3 years of Xbox live gold. Use cd keys or some other online retailer to get it for $40 instead of $60.

Then go to the gamepass ultimate page to resub and it should let you upgrade your Xbox live subscription for a dollar. It has to be the gamepass ultimate not the regular gamepass. If you don't see the option, contact Microsoft support and they should do it for you.

It was a temporary offer back in August of last year but Microsoft never really ended it so it presumably still works. I'd confirm by doing some more research but that's basically how it works.

Jaysen

Banned
Microsoft runs a promo for new Game Pass members that gives them one month for a dollar. If, however, you already have Xbox Live Gold, it will ask you if you’d like to convert all your remaining XBL Gold time into Game Pass Ultimate. Since you can only have three years of Gold stacked at any one time, the most Game Pass Ultimate you can get for a dollar is 3 years.

Sony is of course part of the deal as the developer and had a say. I think Sony is making some good money out of this.

Is it the right move? Different question but I think this looks like a good one for everyone involved.

You dont know that. You just speculating and im doing same. If they not publishing, so MLB is the one getting bigger share of money imo

Gatox

Banned
MLB The Show '21 was announced on Xbox. My first response was; I will try it if it's on Game Pass! They said it was impossible, never ever going to happen. Some felt so sure and said they will eat their sock if it happened...

Ha Ha Lol GIF by Space Chickens In Space
So now the question is did he eat the sock.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not yet, but he'd better be or otherwise a perm ban if I understood correctly. Here is the thread if you're interested. MLB The Show 21 announcement trailer. Confirmed PS5 & 4. Xbox One and Series S & X | NeoGAF
You can save this post. If The show ends up on gamepass i will eat a sock and show the video. Can you imagine a sony game being on gamepass? The gaming world would have a meltdown.

Yo mate, make sure you create a thread for this as I don’t want to miss it.

Schmick

Let your gamepass sub expire. Buy 3 years of Xbox live gold. Use cd keys or some other online retailer to get it for $40 instead of $60.

Then go to the gamepass ultimate page to resub and it should let you upgrade your Xbox live subscription for a dollar. It has to be the gamepass ultimate not the regular gamepass. If you don't see the option, contact Microsoft support and they should do it for you.

It was a temporary offer back in August of last year but Microsoft never really ended it so it presumably still works. I'd confirm by doing some more research but that's basically how it works.
I'm already a GPU subscriber. If I let that expire can I take advantage of this promo?

Last edited:
That's the same idiot whining about layoffs at Bethesda. Layoffs that haven't occurred. Or may never occur. But you can bet if one person leaves, he'll be shouting about how MS ruined another company.

Actually

He is a 3rd party dev, why he should't whining about layoffs.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm already a GPU subscriber. If I let that expire can I take advantage of this promo?
Yea, I'd caution against buying 3 years gold though cos it adds an extra month on auto renew. So I let everything expire. Bought 2 years gold codes and a six month one. Applied it, bought one month of GPU for 14.99 and then it upgraded me to like 29 months gpu

Jaysen

Banned
Actually

He is a 3rd party dev, why he should't whining about layoffs.
Because layoffs happen all the time. When a game sells well, layoffs happen. When a game bombs, layoffs happen. Whining about acquisitions because a layoff may occur down the line is just stupid. We have no idea how many jobs may have actually been saved by MS acquiring Bethesda.

Jaysen

Banned
Not only is that story from a decade ago, but it states they’re hiring people. The same thing that happens at development houses across all industries.

Last edited:
Scraping the barrel here to complain, especially when the link to this info from nine years ago.

Oh, no problem. It is easy to google "Bethesda layoffs". Immediately it will show results

A bad one. It’s designed solely around rewarding people with small amounts of points for buying games.

I'm European and using US acc. I have actually over 4000 points and technically i can buygift cards, accessories etc. But of course, i can't because i'm not US citizen

Because layoffs happen all the time. When a game sells well, layoffs happen. When a game bombs, layoffs happen. Whining about acquisitions because a layoff may occur down the line is just stupid. We have no idea how many jobs may have actually been saved by MS acquiring Bethesda.

It is not stupid if some of your colleagues got fired. Anyway, poster above :
"That's the same idiot whining about layoffs at Bethesda. Layoffs that haven't occurred. Or may never occur."

Actually, layoffs happened. Don't claim then they didn't.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oh, no problem. It is easy to google "Bethesda layoffs". Immediately it will show results

That's Marriott Hotel doing layoffs at their head office in Bethesda, Maryland.

Jaysen

Banned
I don't think I've ever earned enough points for anything through it.
I have spent a lot on PSN in the past and at the end of the year was lucky to have enough points to get a 10 dollar PSN card. Meanwhile with MS Rewards I get 20 dollars of Amazon credit a month.

That's Marriott Hotel doing layoffs at their head office in Bethesda, Maryland.

LOL. Copied wrong link. Yeah, will take an L for that, but nevertheless, layoffs happened. Little more than 5 years ago

Last edited:
I have never played a baseball game but i will download this in gamepass and play for about an hour to help the numbers look good and encourage sony to release more games on gamepass. Hell bring gamepass to my ps5. That would be dope.

Sony isn't releasing a game on Xbox, nor will they. MLB is releasing their game on Xbox. Sony has no choice in the matter of they want the MLB license.

Jaysen

Banned
And? So what. Poster above claimed that layoffs never happened at Bethesda, but they did
What a load of shit. Nowhere did anyone say layoffs never happen at Bethesda. I said layoffs happen everywhere no matter if a game or product is successful or not, so attributing any future layoffs at Bethesda to Microsoft negatively is disingenuous garbage.

What do layoffs at Bethesda in 2015 have to do with MS?

Nothing maybe. IIRC Matt said that layoffs might happened, not "it happened".

Also layoffs happened year before

What a load of shit. Nowhere did anyone say layoffs never happen at Bethesda. I said layoffs happen everywhere no matter if a game or product is successful or not, so attributing any future layoffs at Bethesda to Microsoft negatively is disingenuous garbage.

Why it would be a disingenuous garbage if layoffs happened before, but it would not happen under MS? You are contradictory

FrankWza

Sony isn't releasing a game on Xbox, nor will they. MLB is releasing their game on Xbox. Sony has no choice in the matter of they want the MLB license.
Sony didn’t have MLB exclusivity. Microsoft and Nintendo were allowed to make a game if they wanted. This deal was to keep 3rd party devs(ea/2k) out. The real question that nobody is asking is how it’s possible that over 15 years, neither of the 2 other console manufacturers were able to develop an MLB game.

Leyasu

Banned
Sony didn’t have MLB exclusivity. Microsoft and Nintendo were allowed to make a game if they wanted. This deal was to keep 3rd party devs(ea/2k) out. The real question that nobody is asking is how it’s possible that over 15 years, neither of the 2 other console manufacturers were able to develop an MLB game.
It's a sport that is not really cared about outside of NA and Japan. Perhaps sony saw value in it whilst the others didn't?

FrankWza

It's a sport that is not really cared about outside of NA and Japan. Perhaps sony saw value in it whilst the others didn't?
Ok. That excuses Nintendo....maybe a console manufacturer with a predominantly
American user base would thrive if they made an MLB game. Maybe it was lost in their huge amount of first party output over that time?
The countries where baseball is the most popular aren’t in NA or Asia.
Huh? They both have leagues that have licensed baseball games for their countries pro leagues.

Top Bottom