• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 21 is coming to Game Pass on day 1 (April 20)

Zoro7

Banned
Obviously Sony agreed to some kind of publishing agreement for the Xbox port. They accepted whatever those terms were a year or two ago.

The only thing unusual about the whole thing is why didn't Sony just publish the game themselves via SIE. MS has published games on other platforms, it's not a big deal.
That is a point. I’m not sure. Could it be they didn’t want their name on a day one gamepass game? Or is MLB slowly moving away from Sony. We will find out I guess.

I hate replies like this. Why should anyone care how much money Sony or Microsoft makes? Just because Sony can get away with it doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do for their consumers.
Because people are more than just gamers and people who only play and care about the most beneficial for them.
The broad impact behind business decisions might interest people. Some people might be shareholders. Investments and competition is also directly correlated to the games you get and can play.
So why not talk about it?

Yes it's stupid, that Sony "get's away with it", but it is the reality we live in.

Withnail

Because it makes no sense. If Sony developed the game, MLB can’t go and publish it elsewhere without Sony’s permission or they’d have done it by now. It’s business.

Do you know what publishing means? It means MLB paid for an Xbox port which they then own the rights to and can do whatever they want with.

It looks like a huge value for gamers but I don’t think Sony cares much. Like all other sports games, MLB prices are constantly slashed soon after release. Show 2020 has been $20 new for months.

This is a little different though because it’s been forever since there’s been a real MLB game on Xbox. But this is probably good for Sony.

1. They make money off the deal
2. It exposes their new (to Xbox) franchise to Xbox users
3. It builds a following for future games
4. They make $$$$ off Stubs MTX (basically Show’s version of MUT

He gets too much heat. Sony are still killing it in terms of great games being put out on PS5 - what are Xbox doing in that regard? I'm yet to see anything I would class as a colossal fuck up by Jim. I lose no sleep over a baseball game.
I'm sorry, I have a PS5 since launch and there's no games to play. I've been playing PS4 games this past 5 months.

He doesn't know anything. He's just pandering to one segment of fans and telling them what they want to hear for forum clout.

Exactly. As unthinkable as it might seem, my take is that Sony is getting nothing significant, if anything at all, from the Game Pass deal since it was struck between Microsoft and MLB. An argument that says "don't worry, this isn't as bad as it looks because Sony is DEFINITELY making bank off this Game Pass deal" is not one with any merit because of the unique circumstances at play here. For there to even be an Xbox version at all some serious power moves had to have been made in negotiations between Sony and MLB, ones Sony clearly did not like. The reason I suspect Sony gets nothing at all from the Game Pass deal is if they had any say at all, it would never be in Game Pass in the first place, much less day one, which tells me they had no decision making power here.

Not only that, MLB being the publisher is more significant than people appreciate. The 70% from sales on Xbox are very likely to go directly, or more heavily, to MLB rather than to Sony is my belief.

We don't know the specific details of the MLB and Sony relationship prior to multi-platform, and we certainly don't know the full details now, but what we do know and have clear evidence of is that MORE power is on the MLB side in this arrangement than on the Playstation side where platforms other than Playstation are concerned. If anyone doesn't believe that, why are we at this many pages in this thread? MLB is the Publisher instead of Sony and we are in a thread about MLB The Show 21 going to Game Pass day one, all versions of the game (last gen and next gen), and even available for Xbox Cloud Gaming streaming on Android devices for Ultimate subscribers. This is as complete a Game Pass deal as one you could imagine going to a Microsoft first party.

From there, however Sony is compensated for the sale of each copy on Xbox or derives any kind of benefit from the Game Pass deal comes entirely down to what arrangement MLB has with Sony, and how Sony and/or their studio will be compensated for the work they've done to make the Xbox version. Long story short, Sony's hand is much weaker pertaining to this deal than people think. Going further, I would argue that if this deal goes to MLB's satisfaction it won't be the last time we see MLB The Show appear day one on Game Pass. I suspect this could be a regular yearly tradition from here on out.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
Do you know what publishing means? It means MLB paid for an Xbox port which they then own the rights to and can do whatever they want with.
Without giving a penny to Sony? Sony would need to be the biggest mugs on the planet to sit there and take that.

549jy2.jpg

MaulerX

How can we know?

Aren't there contracts where a developer is payed a fixed amount instead of a per-sale deal?

That's the thing, in this instance we really don't know.

For Game Pass deals, MS pays a publisher a lump sum. It is not done on a per-download basis. So MS paid MLB a set ammount. What MLB does with that money is anyones guess. They might give a cut to Sony or maybe not.

The overall point is that not only did Sony have no say on the matter, they may not be getting that Game Pass money. As MS's payment was to MLB, not Sony.

Agent X

Shrewd and calculated move by Phil Spencer.

Game being published by MLB meant he could go directly to them and negotiate the Game Pass deal. He was able to effectively bypass Sony as they had no say in the matter (not being the publisher). Kudos to him for seeing and seizing on the opportunity.

Now obviously Sony had to know about the deal and they're obviously getting paid but they effectively had no say on the matter. This is one instance where money doesn't matter as much as optics. If they had a say this would never had happened as they're now facing a massive backslash and taking a nightmarish PR hit. No amount of money can make up for that.

It was certainly a clever tactic for Microsoft to negotiate their deal with the publisher of the Xbox One/Series X/S versions of the game.

If Sony wants to do something similar to satisfy their fan base, then they ought to negotiate a deal with the publisher of the PS4/PS5 versions of the game...whoever that publisher happens to be.

I honestly think they will put this on PSNow so it looks better. PSNow doesn't have that many subscribers so it isn't going to effect their sales much, but would still fix the optics problem. LOL

That's their best bet. They've already announced their PS Plus games for April, but have yet to announce their PS Now additions for the month. Their workers are probably off for the weekend, but it would be great for them to make this announcement Monday morning. It would surely be an excellent way to retain the new subscribers that took the "1 month for $1" deal last weekend.

Disco Elysium came out 4 days ago. Returnal is out in 4 weeks. If you're really gonna complain about the lack of games during the launch window of a game console during a pandemic, you probably shouldn't have bought the console.
Sure, let's blame everything on the pandemic, nice excuse. Why people keep bringing up Disco Elysium? Do you realize that game came out in 2019? Returnal looks like an indie game. There's no triple AAA game coming out in a long time. The only game you might look forward to is Ratchet and Clank.

MrS

Banned
Sure, let's blame everything on the pandemic, nice excuse. Why people keep bringing up Disco Elysium? Do you realize that game came out in 2019? Returnal looks like an indie game. There's no triple AAA game coming out in a long time. The only game you might look forward to is Ratchet and Clank.
So the issue is your taste in games, not the actual content they're putting out then? Oddworld and Destruction Allstars are both free games. You gonna play either of them? Compare Sony's output with the competition, lets see how they've been faring during the pandemic in terms of 1st party output. With TLOU2 and GoT, Sony comes out on top handsomely.

Last edited:
So the issue is your taste in games, not the actual content they're putting out then? Oddworld and Destruction Allstars are both free games. You gonna play either of them? Compare Sony's output with the competition, lets see how they've been faring during the pandemic in terms of 1st party output. With TLOU2 and GoT, Sony comes out on top handsomely.
Not taste, quality. Those games are free because they couldn't even sell them if they wanted to.

You're telling me I'm supposed to be happy with the thrash they release?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Mate I buy my games. I don't want them attached to a service I have to keep paying for to play.

I'm clearly talking about on PlayStation. They don't want to lose billions when Sony has finally turned things around after the ps3 gen nearly put them out of business.

Paying to own games on PlayStation is good. The likes of god of war, horizon, TLOU, ghost of tsutshima, gran tourismo and ratchet are worth buying day 1 and if not they get really generous sales after launch.

Nintendo are the same obviously minus the generous sale prices. I don't expect them to turn into a charity where I get all that day 1 for $1 a year.

MS do that because like I said they've lost so much relevance. Destroyed last gen and this gen the sales are going the same way. Ps5 is in far higher demand.
Where can you get it for $1 for a year?

Diddy X

Kinda shitty move from Sony to their users but it's not like they are not getting the game only now other platforms are also geting it and cheaper but that's life.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I have a feeling this is going to push Sony to release the game on ps now. Which would be good for ps now.
Idk, that would be a huge loss. They would have to refund pre-orders too. At least with Xbox they are getting paid.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It was way back in 06. It was mlb license was available to Sony,Msoft and Nintendo after 2k deal expired. EA for nfl and 2k had the 3rd party MLB until around 2011. That was the turning point in video game history for sports. It shifted everything and nothing has been the same since. Just like PES losing rights and being the better game. Konami makes a superior pro baseball game that is Japanese only. It’s a better engine than SDS. Oh well.
Edit: I meant too that EA would swoop in or even take2. As soon as they were allowed

But EA had the most incredible baseball engine ever. Even when they got the nfl deal, their game was inferior to 2k.
Good job gamepass such a great deal
Eh

fatty

Yeah, just like the Bethesda acquisition & BC & Japan studio shutting down while Microsoft is growing their own Japanese one’s while Sony’s other subsidiary (Namely Sony music Japan) are either making exclusive games for the Switch (Emiya family) or completely multiplatform games (Kimetsu no Yaiba), overlapping the entire Sony gaming business with absolutely zero synergies or collaborative efforts like every single gaming company out there

lets face it, this whole shitshow pretty much began with this

BZ2pyFw.jpg

While the deal itself was good (as azure is competent for gaming) Keep in mind that SIE executives (PlayStation executives) were completely blindsided by this shitty deal, so there’s a big chance that Phil Spencer (who worked hard on The gaming aspect of Azure since 2014) was pretty much present in that deal that sealed the fate of the PS brand, WHILE NONE OF PS EXECUTIVES WERE (Which is why i think Shawn Layden left)

The reason why Sony Corp HQ in Japan did this was probably either that

1-Sony’s New CEO Kenichiro Yoshida wanted SIE to move on from Platform making into eventually becoming 3rd Party.

OR

2- He’s Seriously the most Spineless CEO I’ve ever seen lmao.

Source : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...microsoft-blindsided-its-own-playstation-team

I‘m kind of out of the loop with what all is going on. Not sure what the dates in the picture mean so when I tried to click on the article it is behind a paywall.

Anyone able to summarize why the Playstation brand is in “trouble”?

I’m ticked with the PSN store going away and started poking around the gaming section here and it led me down the rabbit hole to this thread.

quickwhips

I‘m kind of out of the loop with what all is going on. Not sure what the dates in the picture mean so when I tried to click on the article it is behind a paywall.

Anyone able to summarize why the Playstation brand is in “trouble”?

I’m ticked with the PSN store going away and started poking around the gaming section here and it led me down the rabbit hole to this thread.
Sony is fine. This doom and gloom talk is silly.

fatty

Sony is fine. This doom and gloom talk is silly.

Yeah I agree, that is why I put trouble in quotes.

But I am trying to understand the concern.

I get it with MLB the show, and how it is now part of Gamepass where it is a game developed by Sony. And I’m part of the minority who cares about the pre PS4 gen games no longer being available to buy, even if I know it won’t affect Sony. But for me, who loves gaming back to the PSOne, it sucks.

I guess I’m wondering if there is anything else I’m missing.

A Sony Computer Entertainment Studio developed Video Game released Day 1 on Game Pass? It's a great Time to be alive on this Planet :D

Thanks, Jim Ryan :)

BTW: I really don't know why Jim Ryan gets hated lately because I think Jim Ryan is doing a great Job ;)

Neofire

Lol publishing rights do not work like that however since MLB owns the MLB trademark band such that gives them right to do whatever they want with it in that regard. If Sony didn't want to develop the game anymore MLB would have to contract another develop and use another name for the game and not "MLB the show"

Jaysen

Banned
Ok. Btw. i've never said that MLB will never appear on GP, just showed my doubt about it. Two different things.

Anyway. Just precisely what i've expected. Sony will get a cut from this deal, but they didn't negotiate it.

Z7eSQBR.png
That's the same idiot whining about layoffs at Bethesda. Layoffs that haven't occurred. Or may never occur. But you can bet if one person leaves, he'll be shouting about how MS ruined another company.

Jaysen

Banned
They blame everything on the pandemic. Dualsense controllers breaking? Pandemic. An OS feature list that took huge steps backwards from last gen? Pandemic. No storage increase options available? Pandemic. No cold storage of PS5 games? Pandemic. Requiring PS+ to backup game saves? Pandemic. Only a fraction of the media apps making their way from PS4 to PS5? Pandemic. Coil whine and fan noise? Obviously the pandemic's fault.

They blame everything on the pandemic. Dualsense controllers breaking? Pandemic. An OS feature list that took huge steps backwards from last gen? Pandemic. No storage increase options available? Pandemic. No cold storage of PS5 games? Pandemic. Requiring PS+ to backup game saves? Pandemic. Only a fraction of the media apps making their way from PS4 to PS5? Pandemic. Coil whine and fan noise? Obviously the pandemic's fault.
Wait, they still haven't fixed that?

MacReady13

Exactly. You rent full-games (not demos) and if you really like a game, they give you the option to buy it, with a 20% discount. How can anyone be against that?
So I get the 1 month subscription for 1 dollar and I can purchase Outriders for 20% less?

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
So I get the 1 month subscription for 1 dollar and I can purchase Outriders for 20% less?
Yes, but if you're playing Outriders, you obviously have Xbox Live, which means you can convert all of your Xbox Live subscription time into Game Pass Ultimate for a dollar (up to 3 years).

onesvenus

Because it makes no sense. If Sony developed the game, MLB can’t go and publish it elsewhere without Sony’s permission or they’d have done it by now. It’s business.
Well, one thing is not having permission to publish it in Xbox, which I'm sure Sony knew because they developed the game. Another thing entirely is them having a deal where they were payed to develop or having a deal where they got money per copy sold. That's what we don't know.

quickwhips

Yeah I agree, that is why I put trouble in quotes.

But I am trying to understand the concern.

I get it with MLB the show, and how it is now part of Gamepass where it is a game developed by Sony. And I’m part of the minority who cares about the pre PS4 gen games no longer being available to buy, even if I know it won’t affect Sony. But for me, who loves gaming back to the PSOne, it sucks.

I guess I’m wondering if there is anything else I’m missing.
I would be more inclined to buy a ps5 with backwards compatibility that would be there for next gen if promised...I'm not buying shit 6 times.

Agent X

I have a feeling this is going to push Sony to release the game on ps now. Which would be good for ps now.

Idk, that would be a huge loss. They would have to refund pre-orders too. At least with Xbox they are getting paid.

Many longtime Sony fans feel that they're being treated like second-class citizens. The common perception is that this is a "Sony" game, regardless of who is acting as publisher or who struck the deal.

Putting MLB The Show 21 on either PS Now or PS Plus would be a monetary loss for the short term, but it would also regain the trust of their loyal customers, and prevent them from considering a change to a competing console and its ecosystem.

Sometimes, it is necessary for a business to make a small sacrifice now, in order to achieve long-term benefits.

Keihart

Yo, if this was MLB...what's stopping Marvel from demanding the same for a future Spiderman games?
There is a lot more demand for Spiderman than MLB as a brand, so i would suspect Marvel would have an even a stronger position to bargain from, not to mention, Marvel has no interest in keeping Spiderman games exclusives.

Really looks like we might have Imsomiac doing multiplat Spiderman games with Sony's money in the future.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yo, if this was MLB...what's stopping Marvel from demanding the same for a future Spiderman games?
There is a lot more demand for Spiderman than MLB as a brand, so i would suspect Marvel would have an even a stronger position to bargain from, not to mention, Marvel has no interest in keeping Spiderman games exclusives.

Really looks like we might have Imsomiac doing multiplat Spiderman games with Sony's money in the future.
Yep i brought this up yesterday. Sony has shown they can be bullied into launching gamepass exclusives on other consoles by fucking MLB. Marvel is taking notes.

If Marvel doesn't do this, their shareholders will ask why. It's a no brainer at this point.

reksveks

Licensing deal for spiderman games is probably different. Don't know if it's a perpetual license but if so, it gives Sony the power to keep that character effectively exclusive.

Keihart

Yep i brought this up yesterday. Sony has shown they can be bullied into launching gamepass exclusives on other consoles by fucking MLB. Marvel is taking notes.

If Marvel doesn't do this, their shareholders will ask why. It's a no brainer at this point.
the open floodgates GIF

Edit:
Licensing deal for spiderman games is probably different. Don't know if it's a perpetual license but if so, it gives Sony the power to keep that character effectively exclusive.
Sony has movie rights, those game rights were like a miracle and is hanging by a thread. Before this it was a firm thread i would of believed because of how successful the game was but now...now Marvel can ask why MLB can and they don't. AFAIK at least, anyone it's welcome to correct me if there is info suggesting Sony secured Spiderman game rights somehow.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Kinda funny you say penny’s a month, work out the upgrade cost and it’s the same as PSnow a year 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
If only Sony had a rewards program that let me earn enough points each month to negate the entire cost. It’s hard to complain about Game Pass when it’s essentially free.

Three

Why would they have to refund preorders if that happens? Wtf. Did xbox refund preorders when it was announced for gamepass? PSNow is just gamepass for playstation.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
If only Sony had a rewards program that let me earn enough points each month to negate the entire cost. It’s hard to complain about Game Pass when it’s essentially free.
Well that’s Sony’s fault, Microsoft do some amazing offers like that to get you to try it out

Top Bottom