• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 21 is coming to Game Pass on day 1 (April 20)

Banned
Everything Is Fine GIF by memecandy

Last edited:

Nubulax

Unfortunately, I also feel that MLB The Show will just turn into another derivative, stale sports franchise. This year's version looks barely upgraded. There's zero next gen features, and the animations haven't been meaningfully improved in ages.

There's probably less incentive for Sony to really make a standout, world class baseball game now that they are the only game in town and will sell on every platform.

Which is very unfortunate for the series.

If its just multiplat now I find it hard to believe it wont just turn into what Madden or any other sports franchise has become. Its easy to just make a yearly release with not many changes and still make tons of $$$... same with something like COD. I used to play Madden every single year for like 15 years but havent touched it in a long time now as its just more of the same imo and sometimes even worse

Last edited:
If its just multiplat now I find it hard to believe it wont just turn into what Madden or any other sports franchise has become. Its easy to just make a yearly release with not many changes and still make tons of $$$... same with something like COD

Yah, i think that's what it will come to. Bare minimum effort each year. Sad, because I want a really fluid, next-gen looking baseball game. They made great strides on PS3 but PS5 so far for the series looks highly disappointing. Oh well. I just hope Sony uses San Diego to make new games like they are rumored to be doing.

InDaGulag

Yeah i rememebrer a lot of people at the time were saying Marvel was stupid with this deal, as it means Sony pretty much keeps the license for life, as long as Sony do something with it.
If i remember right though, this was at a time before the whole Marvel movie series, and there were rumours that Marvel were in financial dire straights. It would explain the situation i suppose.

Marvel was on the verge of bankruptcy in the 1990s. Hence the explosion in licensed merchandise, games, and TV shows during the era. They were desperate for cold hard cash.

And well it's hard to imagine today, but back then, superheros outside of Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Spider-Man, and Hulk were not popular. Even then Batman and Superman films were considered to be dead or dying in the 1990s. Nobody saw the comic book movie explosion of the 21rst century coming.

Fun fact: To acquire financing to establish Marvel Studios and begin their ambitious Avengers idea, Marvel put up the copyrights for Doctor Strange and Black Panther as collateral. That's how desperate they were back then. So well in hindsight the Sony-Fox movie deals seem terrible, they made sense for a company trying to avoid collapse.

Unfortunately, I also feel that MLB The Show will just turn into another derivative, stale sports franchise. This year's version looks barely upgraded. There's zero next gen features, and the animations haven't been meaningfully improved in ages.

There's probably less incentive for Sony to really make a standout, world class baseball game now that they are the only game in town and will sell on every platform.

Which is very unfortunate for the series.

Will turn into? It’s already turned into a barely upgraded yearly franchise. It’s been stale for years. There’s no difference between being the only sim baseball franchise on one platform versus two platforms, it’s just more people to sell your yearly roster update to.

Even before they were the only game, they felt no pressure to be amazing because the 2k games were terrible.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
If its just multiplat now I find it hard to believe it wont just turn into what Madden or any other sports franchise has become. Its easy to just make a yearly release with not many changes and still make tons of $$$... same with something like COD. I used to play Madden every single year for like 15 years but havent touched it in a long time now as its just more of the same imo and sometimes even worse
What? When it was only in one console it was an art piece, full of emotion and driven by the developers' passion? Oh my lol.

Ozzie666

Interesting how both will profit from the digital currency sales for The Show. From what I understand there is a pretty big amount of people who juice up their players. Maybe not on the level of FIFA, but it could be substantial for Sony and to a lesser degree Microsoft.

Also the game may only be on Game Pass for a limited time. Get people hooked and ready for next years installment.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Interesting how both will profit from the digital currency sales for The Show. From what I understand there is a pretty big amount of people who juice up their players. Maybe not on the level of FIFA, but it could be substantial for Sony and to a lesser degree Microsoft.

Also the game may only be on Game Pass for a limited time. Get people hooked and ready for next years installment.
That's the name of the game. Cash.

The console makers know the user base is stodgy enough not to transition, so if they partner up they both benefit. And for naysayers, pretty sure a baseball game isn't going to be the difference anyway.

MLB: The league gets more exposure instead of one console base of PS gamers

Sony: Make money off Xbox disc sales and GP partnership money

MS: Gets a sports game to help it's library including a known game for GP

Gamers: Xbox and PS gamers get to play baseball including cross play, so that the online pool of gamers will last longer

Looks like a quadruple win.

Only way it's bad is if eco system warriors are right and Sony is going to lose a shitload of gamers who transition to Xbox and GP because they are pissed their annual baseball game is now on another platform.

Show of hands for PS gamers. How many of you are that pissed you are going to dump PS and get into Xbox due to a baseball game?

Last edited:

Dthomp

I've played the show every year the last 4-5 years, and the only thing I'm concerned about is the amount of xbox folk who will blindly throw money at the stubs in game thinking it's like Madden, and in turn making SDS turn their great game mode into another MUT driven strictly by $$$.

Even with minimal changes every season, MLB has been the best sports game BY A LARGE MARGIN. Diamond Dynasty is fun, and can be 100% done without spending a dime unlike 2K and Madden, so as long as they don't get rewarded with people dumbly buying stubs it should be another great season in Diamond Dynasty.

I'm left feeling a little bit upset at this whole deal as a Sony gamer, and honestly almost none of the ideas of what happened here sit well. Either Sony got a $ from Microsoft and are just flat out giving the finger to longtime buyers on their console, MLB worked this deal without letting SDS/Sony know about this (Weak if true), or most likely something in the middle.

I will say as some were talking earlier, SDS does hold all the cards in future iterations of this title. They have been the only company making quality sports games for years. IF anybody here thinks EA or 2K could throw together a baseball game half as good as the show, they are kidding themselves.

theclaw135

Banned

The console makers know the user base is stodgy enough not to transition, so if they partner up they both benefit. And for naysayers, pretty sure a baseball game isn't going to be the difference anyway.

Gamers: Xbox and PS gamers get to play baseball including cross play, so that the online pool of gamers will last longer

Only way it's bad is if eco system warriors are right and Sony is going to lose a shitload of gamers who transition to Xbox and GP because they are pissed their annual baseball game is now on another platform.

Show of hands for PS gamers. How many of you are that pissed you are going to dump PS and get into Xbox due to a baseball game?

A lot might. Sony rose from a plucky contender to reign undefeated in baseball. Every other MLB game series active when they obtained the license (1993) is long since dead and buried.

The revived RBI has no association with either its origins in Family Stadium, or Warner who sold the RBI name to MLB.

Last edited:

Dthomp

I won't be dumping Sony, but I can say from browsing Twitter and Reddit for a while seem to be plenty of players who have been willing to cancel preorders on their playstations since it's basically "free" on GP.

Also just pointing out since GAF seems to forget they aren't the majority, but to sports gamers this is a potential huge deal as many only buy 3 or so sports games a year and this move could easily take somebody who buys a Sony system into the other park because it's basically free.

I don't think this has as much to do with it being MLB, it has to do with Playstation gamers being annoyed that they appear to be getting the short end of the stick from a game/franchise that is known for and made by a Sony studio.

Nubulax

What? When it was only in one console it was an art piece, full of emotion and driven by the developers' passion? Oh my lol.
Well ive never played it nor care about baseball so I wouldnt know but Madden started going downhill pretty quick once they had zero competition and had to make a ton of different versions every year. Maybe it will be an exception but we will see

I also give zero fs about it being on Xbox too. For sports games its kind of shitty to limit it to one console and its the only sport to do so for years unless im mistaken? For people who love baseball im glad they dont have to factor that in their console selection choice anymore if they also like to play baseball games. Im actually shocked it was exclusive only to PS for this long and MLB didnt demand it be everywhere from the get go

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Will turn into? It’s already turned into a barely upgraded yearly franchise. It’s been stale for years. There’s no difference between being the only sim baseball franchise on one platform versus two platforms, it’s just more people to sell your yearly roster update to.

Even before they were the only game, they felt no pressure to be amazing because the 2k games were terrible.
yeah, I think I mentioned this in another thread but as someone who buys these games every other year, the upgrades have been shoddy at best. I swear I cant tell you what improved from year 1 to year 7 gameplay and visuals wise. i am sure they add features here and there but as someone who thought the MVP 2005 game was better than all of their ps3 entries, they struggled to get the visuals and pitching and hitting right for years until the ps4 came out and finally gave the visuals a decent boost.

they still failed to deliver a big improvement on visuals they had promised way back in 2013.

yesqqk2c.gif

7 years and two new consoles later, this is the best they can do:

MLB-The-Show-21-screenshots-23.png

this franchise has become a joke.

MacReady13

Please explain it to me as I'm not seeing the advantage of a subscription service, but how is it good for gaming with Game Pass making games like this available day 1? Obviously you still have to pay for the subscription, and I realize it is cheaper than owning the game for a few months at least, but you are still only borrowing the game and not really owning it. Don't renew your subscription and you can't play. What am I missing? Am I just not moving with the times? I know games can still be purchased owning game pass as well...

theclaw135

Banned
Please explain it to me as I'm not seeing the advantage of a subscription service, but how is it good for gaming with Game Pass making games like this available day 1? Obviously you still have to pay for the subscription, and I realize it is cheaper than owning the game for a few months at least, but you are still only borrowing the game and not really owning it. Don't renew your subscription and you can't play. What am I missing? Am I just not moving with the times? I know games can still be purchased owning game pass as well...

Game Pass for console is $120 yearly. Less money than two full-priced current gen $70 games.

ManaByte

Honestly I can see MLB buying Sony San Diego from SCEI. Sony San Diego's other PS game is rumored to be cancelled, so they're still solely The Show developer. MLB buys them and keeps them developing the game multi-plaform.

And then of course people will say the game is shit since it's not a bullet point for list warz.

DaGwaphics

Most games are on the service for more than enough time for the average consumer to be done with them and moving on. If you are someone that likes to revisit a lot of different games, maybe GP isn't the perfect fit. Though, even there, it can be a great way to inexpensively try before you buy and you do get the discount.

For me personally, outside of a few favorites I generally just complete the primary campaign/quests etc. and just move on to something else.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Why they wouldn't? Sony ( or San Diego, whatever) will get a cut of each copies sold on every platform, even if is on Gamepass, so yes, Sony surely got a cut of Gamepass deal. There is no bypass like you said in previous posts
My point is that MLB (the publisher on Xbox) would definitely have given some % of money to Sony/SanDiego (depending on the agreement). But I don't think Sony would have any say in the decision whether to make the game available on GamePass or not.

Live scenes from Jim Ryan's office:

0d1a71fc48fde7bfe84b49fec4720e27.gif

Why do you take these things so personally? It's a shitty baseball game. If the deal wasn't good for Sony from a monetary perspective, it wouldn't have been made.
Do you realize that You are under the assumption that bad decisions can't be made? Is Jym Ryan infallible?

reksveks

MLB forced it on GP, but not PS Now. Ok.

You sure seem hard up on blaming MLB, then just admitting Sony agreed to it and took some MS money.
The argument being made is its a possibility that MLB forced it on GP cause they are getting paid. Whether Sony gets 30% or X amount of that or if they had any legal right to block the deal is something that we don't know.

reksveks

Yeah, a licensing deal where Sony gets a cut out of every Xbox game sold. Not very difficult. Some people live in a fantasy where MLB strong armed Sony into making it multiplatorm or else they'd just take it elsewhere.

It takes two to tango. MLB doesn't want to be left dry having to get another studio develop a baseball game from the ground up with no pedigree when Sony has been putting in the work to make it great for over a decade and a half.

In fact, that's why MLB wanted to do this deal to begin with. RBI baseball was garbage and selling like shit in comparison. Sony had PLENTY of leverage in this deal, whatever it is.
Again, I am not arguing that there is the likely possibility that Sony ain't getting some money out of this deal. I am saying it is likely that they didn't have any legal right to block the deal, they might have had some influence via threatening to break the likely terms of their licensing deal. It is okay to admit that there are unknowns here.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
I haven't gotten The Show in a couple of years (and not at launch since like 2016) so I had pre-purchased this for PS5 but after this news I canceled my pre-order on PSN (I do wish they'd make that experience easier like how on Xbox I can just do it from my order history without having to chat with support)

while I love baseball, I never play The Show more than 20-30 hours mostly in Franchise or Road to the Show modes so I'll play it on GamePass instead even though I'm more of a fan of my PS5 than the Series X so far (if I was going to sink hundreds of hours into it doing things like Diamond Dynasty I might still stick with PS5 between the DualSense and more friends likely to play it there)

given MLB is publishing it on Xbox I highly doubt that Sony themselves negotiated this deal or really had any say in it (plus they probably aren't thrilled with it given I'm probably not the only one who will play it on Xbox through Game Pass instead of buying it now) but boy are the fanboys (for both sides) behaving poorly in response to this news, I'm looking forward to the console wars BS settling down somewhat as we get further into the new generation

Nubulax

Game Pass for console is $120 yearly. Less money than two full-priced current gen $70 games.
Game Pass Ultimate is $15mo/$180 yr if you want to be able to play online with gold which I have to assume most people would buy over just gamepass right? Unless you want to spend even more money for Gold and GP seperate

Again, I am not arguing that there is the likely possibility that Sony ain't getting some money out of this deal. I am saying it is likely that they didn't have any legal right to block the deal, they might have had some influence via threatening to break the likely terms of their licensing deal. It is okay to admit that there are unknowns here.

Of course they have a legal right, Sony can just stop making The Show and re-org the studio into making other types of games or supporting other studios.

That’s not in anyone’s best interest though. Yes, there are unknowns, but it’s not rocket science to see that Sony is getting something out of this arrangement. It’s their studio.

Megatron

You know they don't get to keep the games, right? They don't own Outriders or this, it won't be on GamePass permanently. Don't they leave after a few months?
A few months is rare, many stay on much longer than that. But be honest, how much longer after this year are you REALLY going to want to Play MLB The Show 21? When it comes to annual sports titles, the Pearl clutching about the game eventually leaving the service is hilarious.

Kagey K

Banned
Even if it's only 3 months. It's still 3 months more than on PSNOW lol.
It’ll probably be on sale for half price at least twice before it leaves too, if previous years are to go by.

If it doesn’t go on sale before that it’ll prove that Xbox is actually holding the value of games longer with Game Pass instead of devaluing them.

Top Bottom