• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 21 is coming to Game Pass on day 1 (April 20)

I knew it was right to get an xbox this gen. I'm not interested in this MLB game in particular but I knew xbox would be coming in hard with the bathesda purchase and gamepass push. I'm so glad I made this choice to switch.

If and when Sony comes out with some great announcements and Pro consumer services I'll happily switch back. I don't get why people tie themselves to one company.

im so glad I didn’t make the switch

there’s literally nothing for me to play on the Xbox or GamePass I care about

Keihart

Yeah, just like the Bethesda acquisition & BC & Japan studio shutting down while Microsoft is growing their own Japanese one’s while Sony’s other subsidiary (Namely Sony music Japan) are either making exclusive games for the Switch (Emiya family) or completely multiplatform games (Kimetsu no Yaiba), overlapping the entire Sony gaming business with absolutely zero synergies or collaborative efforts like every single gaming company out there

lets face it, this whole shitshow pretty much began with this

BZ2pyFw.jpg

While the deal itself was good (as azure is competent for gaming) Keep in mind that SIE executives (PlayStation executives) were completely blindsided by this shitty deal, so there’s a big chance that Phil Spencer (who worked hard on The gaming aspect of Azure since 2014) was pretty much present in that deal that sealed the fate of the PS brand, WHILE NONE OF PS EXECUTIVES WERE (Which is why i think Shawn Layden left)

The reason why Sony Corp HQ in Japan did this was probably either that

1-Sony’s New CEO Kenichiro Yoshida wanted SIE to move on from Platform making into eventually becoming 3rd Party.

OR

2- He’s Seriously the most Spineless CEO I’ve ever seen lmao.

Source : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...microsoft-blindsided-its-own-playstation-team
I think that the theory of Sony wanting to become mostly a publisher/dev makes more sense every day that goes by, kinda crazy honestly.

Think you guys are too strung up on the fact that they're not publishing the Xbox version

They weren't the publishers for Death Stranding or Detroit either, but they're absolutely getting money from those

its completely dumb wishful thinking on their part that somehow Sony gets screwed here when the reality is they are going to make a ton of money and gets tons of exposure in the future for the MLB series.

they were given a great opportunity by MLB to be completely exclusive and own the entire sport to themselves by being multiplatform, and how Phil opened up the pocket books to make it day 1 on GamePass which isn’t going to be cheap

Sony definitely getting paid big time on MLB this year $$$$

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
I'm not playing outriders or MLB and I'm not going to buy Returnal now either..... what Jim Ryan and all the other clowns running PS must realize is, that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

It doesn't feel fair that he is charging 80 euro for new games and giving away once exclusives to the competing platform to be played at 15 dollars or less.

I won't be buying any more games on PS5 till this changes and if it continues to get worse on PS5, I'm just moving to PC. I won't even sell on the PS5's, I'll just box them up so nobody can buy games for them.
This is some smooth-brained, infantile type shit. Friendship ended with Sony because they're putting a game on Game Pass, perhaps even unwittingly. Good grief.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
its completely dumb wishful thinking on their part that somehow Sony gets screwed here when the reality is they are going to make a ton of money and gets tons of exposure in the future for the MLB series.

they were given a great opportunity by MLB to be completely exclusive and own the entire sport to themselves by being multiplatform, and how Phil opened up the pocket books to make it day 1 on GamePass which isn’t going to be cheap

Seems like people who work for Sony are also hopeful that they may get paid more because of this deal. Why else would anyone care about who gets paid?

splattered

MLB may be the last game I buy for quite some time after this, and only sticking with it cause it's my most played game last year, but as a Sony gamer these last two moves are crap for us. I know many here don't actually play sports titles, but MLB is a system seller on the playstation and has been for years, so it's not like this was some little indy game that who cares about hitting GP. I'm expected to drop 70-100 bucks while Xbox guy who wasn't going to buy the game gets to play it for basically free...and I'm not supposed to be upset about that?

I'm not sure if ALL the blame here should be on Jim, but he's done enough....or I guess not enough not to be kicked to the curb. I don't hate Gamepass, but I've been a game player/collector since the NES era, I like owning my stuff and I don't need a library of games to choose from to try something new, I have them on shelves to try, and while it may seem dumb of me, I skipped Outriders that I was going to buy because of the Gamepass deal, why should I spend money on a game that the other guys get for free? By the time Outriders leaves gamepass there won't be a playerbase anyway so it's not like these cheap fucks are actually buying every GP game they enjoy, I can't see why I should foot the full price bill to play the game on my Playstation.

I think you'll see more and more resentment from PS fans (myself included) towards Sony for this, in what you said the opposite reaction. Getting fucking Oddworld is not the same as you letting a big Sony game like MLB end up on GP.

Optics just aren't good right now if you play on Playstation, but that's enough of my rant. I'll still play a ton of the game, but can't see myself buying any of their AA overpriced games like Returnal if this is the way they are gonna keep treating us.

**Please MLB new fans, don't look at this being free and buy stubs instead, this game is NOT Madden Ultimate Team, you can get every card in the game with no extra money spent**

I'm not a big sports fan but i HAVE enjoyed soccer and baseball games in the past... i will give this a shot on Gamepass and if i like it i will buy it. A lot of games i just jump straight to purchasing regardless of my GPU subscription.

Zoro7

Banned
Microsoft has been spending big recently. Fair play to them. This has to impact the price at some point. Be it today or in a few years time.

Seems like people who work for Sony are also hopeful that they may get paid more because of this deal. Why else would anyone care about who gets paid?

why would I care that Xbox gamers now get to play MLB on GamePass? Good for them, not like I can’t play it on PS5 if I want. Buying an Xbox with a GamePass sub isn’t free.

the profits from this may fund more studio acquisitions or game deals, so in theory it could be a good thing for Sony gamers

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I think i am gonna go to pc anyways. I just don't know how to do though in this climate
Pre-builds are actually better deal this time around, but prepare those $$$ Shit is going to be expensive, but honestly? This is the worst time to buy a PC, everything is expensive as fuck.

splattered

I wouldn't buy a PC right now, if you want a decent rig its super pricey as a pre-built, and separate parts to build your own are hard to find or overly expensive. You're better off being lucky and getting a PS5 or XsX if you can find one.

DaGwaphics

Think you guys are too strung up on the fact that they're not publishing the Xbox version

They weren't the publishers for Death Stranding or Detroit either, but they're absolutely getting money from those

There is a big difference between having a say and getting paid. One doesn't require the other.

So while I would assume Sony is getting paid on DS and Detroit, I doubt they have much, if any say in anything regarding them on PC after the exclusivity period ended. Seems like the console exclusivity was permanent however.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I dont give a shit about Gamepass. I buy 1-2 AAAA games a year and I pay full price for them.

Elios83

Yeah, just like the Bethesda acquisition & BC & Japan studio shutting down while Microsoft is growing their own Japanese one’s while Sony’s other subsidiary (Namely Sony music Japan) are either making exclusive games for the Switch (Emiya family) or completely multiplatform games (Kimetsu no Yaiba), overlapping the entire Sony gaming business with absolutely zero synergies or collaborative efforts like every single gaming company out there

lets face it, this whole shitshow pretty much began with this

While the deal itself was good (as azure is competent for gaming) Keep in mind that SIE executives (PlayStation executives) were completely blindsided by this shitty deal, so there’s a big chance that Phil Spencer (who worked hard on The gaming aspect of Azure since 2014) was pretty much present in that deal that sealed the fate of the PS brand, WHILE NONE OF PS EXECUTIVES WERE (Which is why i think Shawn Layden left)

The reason why Sony Corp HQ in Japan did this was probably either that

1-Sony’s New CEO Kenichiro Yoshida wanted SIE to move on from Platform making into eventually becoming 3rd Party.

OR

2- He’s Seriously the most Spineless CEO I’ve ever seen lmao.

LOL quite frankly all of this is a bunch of nonsense.
Kenichiro Yoshida is a really great, focused and down to earth CEO that is making Sony a really strong company financially, the whole group has never been in such a positive shape since the glorious days of the analog electronics era. If Sony in the future will be able to make more investements it will be because of this financial stability.
And it's ridiculous to think that he doesn't care about their most successful and most profitable division because of Emiya Family on Switch!!!!:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: (I had to google it right now....). The company is having record sales, record profits, record subscription and software sales under him.

Let's face it, some guys are really too emotionally invested into this bullshit and really insecure.
They want to feel like executives care about them or are handling the business according to what they want to see, when they want to see it.
The whole complaining about things like Japan Studio being closed (as if Sony never closed unprofitable and unsuccessful studios like Japan studio before while behind the scenes they're basically doubling the developing teams at most of their other successful studios) or the constant "Omg they need to buy an other publisher as soon as possible so that I can feel protected being part of the brand!!" is simply ridiculous.
None of this has any impact outside of a bubble of (too much) invested fans. Just like no one gives a fuck in the real world about playing with PSP games in 2021. Not to mention PSVita, that people didn't care about when the system was alive :messenger_grinning_sweat: it's all unconsequential drama.
Just like what happened with MLB today, besides the bad PR blow they were not prepared enough to foresee, this adds nothing to a problem that Sony already had and has been obviously preparing to face mig-long term behind the scenes and that is a transition to a different business model that inolves trying to be profitable with games subscription services.

Last edited:

reksveks

There are different kinds of publishing deals. Sometimes the publisher literally buys the game from the dev and the dev never gets another penny. Other times profit is shared but the dev has no say in how the publisher sells/markets the game. Still in other cases the dev retains some control over how the game can be sold, etc.

If Sony was in complete control of this port, they would have published it themselves (like MS has done on PS and Switch). The fact that MLB is publishing it hints at some loss of control. Sony brass could be completely livid over this deal and yet still get paid under the agreements in place. Or they could be pleased as punch, we don't know.
Mainly to the other people, it's okay to say we don't know the contracts and rules
Why on earth wouldn't they have a say on a product they own?
Cause they don't own it. More specifically the license.

Guilty_AI

I think i am gonna go to pc anyways. I just don't know how to do though in this climate
Just saying that if thats your reason to go PC, you'll regret it.

Many said it before in other threads about PS games being ported, but PC gaming and console gaming have different audiences, with good reasons.

DaGwaphics

It's not like they can take the games and publish it themselves if Sony isn't happy. They'd need to start the whole process all over again if they want to cut ties.

Compromise is going to work both ways in this case.

I'm sure they have some kind of standing agreement that covers multiple seasons. It looks like that includes MLB publishing the non-Sony ports, obviously this was something that Sony was okay with. The GP deal is likely something separate entirely that Sony either was or wasn't in the loop on and is either mad or happy about. In either case, I'm sure they knew this was coming before today.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pre-builds are actually better deal this time around, but prepare those $$$ Shit is going to be expensive, but honestly? This is the worst time to buy a PC, everything is expensive as fuck.
Yep. Everything is sold out. I dont see how anyone is even able to buy a PC unless they settle for poor cards that offer worse performance than the ps5 and xsx.

I joined a discord group. Followed people on twitter. Been checking different stores and websites and I just cant find anything. I would love to see just how many of these 30 series GPUs have been sold because while Sony has sold 7.5 million PS5s, I refused to believe more than 1 million of these 30 series cards are in circulation at the moment.

reksveks

That doesn't mean they don't own the games. If MLB were to lose Sony they'd lose the games and everything else that entails alongside it.

This isn't a onesided discussion
1) we don't know the terms of the licensing deal but it's possible that Sony have to produce games under the term of the license.
2) if Sony was to be removed, yes MLB would probably be unable to make another game called The Show using the current engine however they would also have the option to license out the MLB name again to EA/Take2.

Haven't bought an MLB game since Triple Play 98 on PlayStation One but seeing MLB The Show 21 on Game Pass Day fucking One, oh man, I may be playing a baseball game for the first time since then.

What a great fucking day!!! Can't wait to see what's next...maybe Nier Replicant, BioMutant or even Resident Evil VIII: Village!!! Let's go baby!!! Like I have said for over a year, Microsoft and Phil Spencer are no longer fucking around. PS fanboys had their laughs and jokes for the last decade but are now sitting in the corner crying and in some cases (on resetera) are even questioning why own a PS5??? And here I always thought it was all about the games. I guess not. Oh well.

What a great start to my six day holiday weekend!!! Whooooo!!!

GamePass now is 4 years old and what GamePass did for XB1 against PS4?? Big migration happend from PS4 to XB1? People stopped buying PS5?? I think you need to relax and sit back and think.

They will lose sales on consoles and this game, and credibility on PS community. A game made by Sony is now better offer on his rival. Much PS4 were sold by this franchise, now could move more Xbox units, I think this a disaster for Sony on marketing

Lose sales on consoles globally? MLB didn't do shit outside of US

Last edited:
I'm sure they have some kind of standing agreement that covers multiple seasons. It looks like that includes MLB publishing the non-Sony ports, obviously this was something that Sony was okay with. The GP deal is likely something separate entirely that Sony either was or wasn't in the loop on and is either mad or happy about. In either case, I'm sure they knew this was coming before today.

I doubt Sony wouldn't have been in the loop on gamepass, or maybe the contract is just a blanket fee so they didn't need to talk to Sony. I.e x% of revenue (including gamepass) will go to Sony

Otherwise, that just sounds like a legal battle waiting to happen

Stuart360

lol i love this. Microsoft would of gladly paid $30mil for this kind of PR. Sony would of paid the same to NOT have this PR against them.
There is only one 'winner' here with this deal. Just look at some of the replies from the forum mafia to this news, and the web itself.
In fact i wouldnt be surprised if we have Youtuube vids of fanboys burning their PS5's soon, thats how bad the web has reacted to this.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I doubt Sony wouldn't have been in the loop on gamepass, or maybe the contract is just a blanket fee so they didn't need to talk to Sony. I.e x% of revenue (including gamepass) will go to Sony

I would suspect they do have some kind of profit share based on a percentage. Which would result in a situation where they may not have wanted the title on GP but didn't have the control to stop it, but would certainly still get their cut regardless. We really have no idea, it's not like they make these publishing agreements public.

If Sony did specifically want the title on GP, they should quickly announce it on PSNow or PS+ because the optics are terrible at the moment, tbh.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean they don't own the games. If MLB were to lose Sony they'd lose the games and everything else that entails alongside it.

This isn't a onesided discussion
If Sony got really stupid and decided to end their game licensing agreement with the MLB, it would take less than 24 hours for EA, 2K, or possibly even Microsoft to acquire the rights. The MLB is the one in the power position, not Sony lol.

Such a weird ‘defense’ to suggest Sony didn’t know about this.

I mean, I guess the reality is, do you want to think they are just that stupid, or would you prefer to realize they don’t give a fuck about your feelings? It’s one or the other - and some are choosing the first option? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Which would result in a situation where they may not have wanted the title on GP but didn't have the control to stop it, but would certainly still get their cut regardless.

I agree with that. You get a fairly compensated but we decide on publishing/distribtion

The scenario where they for example only got revenue from hard sales and not gamepass (which influences hardsales just sounds mad dodgey to me

Last edited:
If Sony got really stupid and decided to end their game licensing agreement with the MLB, it would take less than 24 hours for EA, 2K, or possibly even Microsoft to acquire the rights. The MLB is the one in the power position, not Sony lol.

Sony is the only one that has been able to make a good MLB game in like, decades

it’s in the MLB’s best interest to not only keep Sony making the games., but also double down on them everywhere

Sony is absolutely getting a cut on each one sold and through GamePass

I think you need to re-think what it means to build a game up from scratch at a new studio, it isn’t easy. Nor is it guaranteed to not be a flop. MLB doesn’t want another RBI baseball series selling like shit

Top Bottom