• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 21 is coming to Game Pass on day 1 (April 20)

This is huge.

We need a bomb-dropping emote reaction for this type of thing. Damn, just DAAAYUUUMMMNNN!!

giphy.gif

If this is what MLB wanted, to get the game into as many hands as possible quick, I wouldn't be surprised to see it on PSNow. Maybe that announcement is forthcoming.
That would be great for PS peeps, depends on if MS has service exclusivity (if they do, most likely timed) or not.

And yeah, this will be one of those games probably with a limited-time rotation in the GP service, but the cool thing is those on Xbox with GP can buy the game at a lower price while it's in the GP service.

MiguelItUp

While I'm no sports fan I know people are excited about this. So I'm happy for those folks! Pretty wild news.

Also, the logo train on this trailer got my world turned upside down, haha. So wild.

Gediminas

Banned
people are totally delusional if they think that Sony had no say to this. Sony had all of the power to do this or don't.
they choosed to be well paid for this move by m$, simple as that. only question, how much sony got paid by m$.

Great stuff , wouldn’t surprise me if Avengers quickly follows. MS is upping the momentum with Gamepass, now sort out Games with Gold.

Allforce

I realize most of this forum is a console war battleground but if you really look at this from a business perspective everyone wins. Most of all San Diego Studios.

1. MLB paid what is likely a huge amount to Sony (and then Sony to San Diego Studios) for them to develop an Xbox version. SDS has the chops to do this since they've been at it so long and they get a huge financial boost.

2. MLB eats all the cost of publishing and distribution of the Xbox version. Producing discs, shipping, marketing, retailer specific deals, etc.

3. The deal between MLB and Sony has to include some provision for profit sharing of any of the Ultimate Team stuff, which is where the big money is made. I'm sure SDS is involved here as well and gets a cut and now has 2x or 3x the userbase to sell microtransactions to.

4. MLB recoups a large part of that payment to Sony to develop the XBOX version by taking a huge payment from MS to toss it on Game Pass.

Bottom line is everyone basically making a fuckton of money with this deal, PR be damned. With San Diego Studios set to probably have their most profitable year to date in the history of the company. We all lament how devs are treated nonstop but this is probably a great deal for them and ensures they stick around for a long time.

Spokker

One thing I suspect is that at least with MLB seemingly calling the shots, I think they are enabling the game to have even more big name legends. I can't prove it, but the legend reveals have been awesome this year, and they aren't even done. Pedro Martinez, Hank Aaron, Fernando Valenzuela and more.

Topher

Gold Member
Lol Sony are a multi billion dollar company. Trust me, they would rather of avoided the embarrassing PR on this one, over a couple of million payout (if they even get anything, with the Xbox version being publishd by MLB).

If that were truly the case they could have easily just let MLB give the game to someone else to develop. Remember, the driving force behind all this is money and this is not a Sony owned franchise.

Last edited:
I realize most of this forum is a console war battleground but if you really look at this from a business perspective everyone wins. Most of all San Diego Studios.

1. MLB paid what is likely a huge amount to Sony (and then Sony to San Diego Studios) for them to develop an Xbox version. SDS has the chops to do this since they've been at it so long and they get a huge financial boost.

2. MLB eats all the cost of publishing and distribution of the Xbox version. Producing discs, shipping, marketing, retailer specific deals, etc.

3. The deal between MLB and Sony has to include some provision for profit sharing of any of the Ultimate Team stuff, which is where the big money is made. I'm sure SDS is involved here as well and gets a cut and now has 2x or 3x the userbase to sell microtransactions to.

4. MLB recoups a large part of that payment to Sony to develop the XBOX version by taking a huge payment from MS to toss it on Game Pass.

Bottom line is everyone basically making a fuckton of money with this deal, PR be damned. With San Diego Studios set to probably have their most profitable year to date in the history of the company. We all lament how devs are treated nonstop but this is probably a great deal for them and ensures they stick around for a long time.

Yeah, it’s not some zero sum game, everybody is making bank but it’s still surprising though.

Thirty7ven

Banned

The hell are yoou talking about?

San Diego ain't winning shit because, hey hello, it's a Sony studio. You think they are getting a new contract or something? They don't work on a game by game contract, they are part of Sony.

"With San Diego Studios set to probably have their most profitable year to date in the history of the company."

Uh, so... Sony should go third party?

GHG

Gold Member
So Sony are taking cash from Microsoft to launch their games on Gamepass now?

Is Jim Ryan stupid?

For the shareholders.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
So Sony are taking cash from Microsoft to launch their games on Gamepass now?

Is Jim Ryan stupid?

He's either stupid or bad at his job, same shit.

Steve Jobs was right, these companies rely on product people to achieve success and then once they achieve it they have a knack for putting the marketing guy in charge and then the whole thing becomes driven by marketing heads who know dick shit about products.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Wait a minute...are you trying to tell me profits are the goal here?

They are probably testing how sales are affected by gamepass I think. But your right Jim Ryan needs to go sooner rather than later

We are not even a year into PS5 yet. Sony will have great games coming, Nintendo too and hopefully Xbox sorts it’s first party out. Isn’t that what benefits us, competition for our money?

Not having a go at you or anything, maybe Sony will focus more on PS Now in the months/years ahead.

This is now what xbox is known for!since xbox doesnt sale much games these days “i think”

ppl going foward are gonna only get xbox for game pass or most ppl will atleast.

the conversation will be “xbox is only good for gamepass” which isnt a bad point to make .
The way its going itll be known for this

Dane

Wtf, even the next gen version which is a paid update from PS4 to PS5 owners is going to be on Gamepass, even Xcloud for Android which sony doesn't have yet on PSNOW.

What's next? The game visual quality being the best on Xbox?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Are they seriously charging $70 for a yearly sports game?

But yes, genius move from MS. I think even in their wildest dreams Sony didnt see this coming. I think this elevates Gamepass as a service since now we can say third party titles can come out on Gamepass on day one. If its MLB today then why not Fifa next year?

Not to mention the flex move by Phil. He is basically saying hey, I can force you to release a game on my platform and then I can essentially launch it for free and there is not a goddamn thing you can do about it. Fascinating stuff.

I know some Sony fans will get upset over this, but I just find this stuff so interesting. Imagine if this wasnt a MLB game. Imagine If Naughty Dog was making a Star Wars exclusive and all of a sudden Disney decided to force Sony to launch it on xbox and then MS decided to make it free. 4-5 years of dev time of their most talented studio. $50-60 million spent on dev. Another $50 million on marketing, only for MS to get it for free. You could write a movie on this.

EDIT: If MLB can force Sony to launch a game on Xbox and then make it free on Gamepass then so can Marvel. Goodbye Spiderman PS exclusive?
It really is. Very ballsy and such a flex move by Phil. Kudos kudos!

But you know what -- and this is just my personal opinion -- but I have always thought that Jim Ryan is very ruthless. And if he is on top of something, he'd just bury the other guy. That's how I've always seen him.

With this move, Phil has turned out to be more "ruthless". Now I'm so, so, so interested in this battle.

If my perception of Jim was correct, then this should hurt his ego (especially if that bypassing Sony and striking the GP deal with MLB is correct, which I believe is). In that case, I'd grab my popcorn and wait for his response. If Jim doesn't respond at all in the next few months, I'd say my perception of him was wrong. But I feel like a storm is coming. "I can feel it in my scrote." lol

GHG

Gold Member
He's either stupid or bad at his job, same shit.

Steve Jobs was right, these companies rely on product people to achieve success and then once they achieve it they have a knack for putting the marketing guy in charge and then the whole thing becomes driven by marketing heads who know dick shit about products.

Yep.

In terms of the dynamics unfolding at the moment the start of this gen feels very similar to the start of the 360/ps3 generation. The saving grace for Sony is that the hardware seems to be well sorted this time. But everything else? The momentum is swinging away from them and they only have themselves to blame.

Every decision that is being made at the moment seems to be heavily based around money and it's at the expense of people who own PlayStation platforms. There's nothing wrong with making lots of money of course, all companies strive to do exactly that, but the question for consumers ultimately becomes what are we getting in exchange?

Right now it looks like an increasingly raw deal.

That's Gamepass for User more Money more Games such Outriders or MLP coming Day One... But it's also great to see Sony and MS are not in a Battle. I hope we can see in the Future more Games from Sony on Xbox and Vice versa... 🤗 The First step is here👌

Top Bottom