• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 21 is coming to Game Pass on day 1 (April 20)

Spoog

Banned
I’ve never even heard of MLB before but people seem to think this is a pretty big deal so I’m confused 😂

darthpaxton

Neo Member
If this is what MLB wanted, to get the game into as many hands as possible quick, I wouldn't be surprised to see it on PSNow. Maybe that announcement is forthcoming. Maybe that will happen at a later date due to a contract with MS etc. PS+ would be a bit of a different story. Once you give it away there your sales are kind of done, because everyone can keep those forever. With GP/PSNow you can do a limited time thing like RDR2.
The MLB doesn't make that decision, Sony does. The MLB did make the decision on Xbox because they're publishing the game there, but Sony still oversees publishing on The Show.

Cravis

Eddy Murphy Popcorn GIF

Aenima

Isent this game published by MLB on Xbox? So Sony and Jim dont have any saying in this.

What i wonder is, if this will start a bad relation beteween Sony and MLBthat might make stop developing MLB games.

Its a curious one for sure.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The MLB doesn't make that decision, Sony does. The MLB did make the decision on Xbox because they're publishing the game there, but Sony still oversees publishing on The Show.

If MLB is publishing the Xbox version directly (as listed in that screenshot above, I haven't verified that info), than they have control over this type of deal. Is MLB publishing all of the non-Sony versions of the game? If yes, that was probably a contingency of the new agreement Sony signed with MLB.

Edit: didn't read your full post earlier, doh!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lmfaoooooooo.

im here for the melt downs, and i think this is pretty great for customers (on xbox) at least. But man Jim is just doing everything he can to piss off the playstation community. Our first party exclusive game that players on our competitor can play with a subscription but you guys who bought our hardware have to pay 70 bucks. Lmfao you cannot make this shit up!
Not to mention the fact that Sony's own first party studio didnt put any effort into improving visuals for next gen. Like Fifa and NBA2k did back at launch.

So First Party Studio who shouldve gotten access to next gen specs years ago.
6 Months Of Extra Dev Time After Launch of New Consoles.
No Visual Enhancements.
We do get an xbox port developed from the ground up on Xbox's 4 consoles.

6sQlSGE.gif

NBA2K21-credit-2kgames@2000x1270-1.jpg

Sony First Party Studio's first sports game:

MLB-The-Show-21-screenshots-23.png

Umbasaborne

Banned
Not to mention the fact that Sony's own first party studio didnt put any effort into improving visuals for next gen. Like Fifa and NBA2k did back at launch.

So First Party Studio who shouldve gotten access to next gen specs years ago.
6 Months Of Extra Dev Time After Launch of New Consoles.
No Visual Enhancements.
We do get an xbox port developed from the ground up on Xbox's 4 consoles.

6sQlSGE.gif

NBA2K21-credit-2kgames@2000x1270-1.jpg

Sony First Party Studio's first sports game:

MLB-The-Show-21-screenshots-23.png
Yeah thats embarassing too, honestly this years fifa and nba 2k look absolutely unreal

SammyNerve

Neo Member
I bought a PS4 for MLB The Show 17. I never, ever thought I'd be thinking new Xbox for MLB The Show 21,....wowzers!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is such a 4D chess move by Microsoft -- doing the GamePass deal with MLB, who is the publisher of the game, totally bypassing Sony. Bravo!

Now Sony is left with two options:
  1. Charge $70 from PlayStation users and feel the backlash.
  2. Make it free on PS+ and lose all the money they were going to earn from sales.
My God, what a calculated move by MS. Checkmate!

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They are the publisher and the studio behind it. So they are getting paid.
They aren't publishing on XBox.

Of course they'd be getting paid though; via their publishing agreement w/ MLB.. but I am wondering if Sony even was asked about the GamePass thing.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
They aren't publishing on XBox.

Of course they'd be getting paid though; via their publishing agreement w/ MLB.. but I am wondering if Sony even was asked about the GamePass thing.

Probably not. MLB made the deal and I wonder if this deal was in the works for a while when renegotiations were happening a year ago.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Isent this game published by MLB on Xbox? So Sony and Jim dont have any saying in this.

What i wonder is, if this will start a bad relation beteween Sony and MBL that might make stop developing MLB games.

Its a curious one for sure.
This is MLBs decision and in the end I believe what you said is right. Depending on how long Sony studios Contract is with the MLB, I can see Sony pulling out from production going forward.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is such a 4D chess move by Microsoft. Bravo!

2. Make it free on PS+ and lose all the money they were going to earn from sales.
Are they seriously charging $70 for a yearly sports game?

But yes, genius move from MS. I think even in their wildest dreams Sony didnt see this coming. I think this elevates Gamepass as a service since now we can say third party titles can come out on Gamepass on day one. If its MLB today then why not Fifa next year?

Not to mention the flex move by Phil. He is basically saying hey, I can force you to release a game on my platform and then I can essentially launch it for free and there is not a goddamn thing you can do about it. Fascinating stuff.

I know some Sony fans will get upset over this, but I just find this stuff so interesting. Imagine if this wasnt a MLB game. Imagine If Naughty Dog was making a Star Wars exclusive and all of a sudden Disney decided to force Sony to launch it on xbox and then MS decided to make it free. 4-5 years of dev time of their most talented studio. $50-60 million spent on dev. Another $50 million on marketing, only for MS to get it for free. You could write a movie on this.

EDIT: If MLB can force Sony to launch a game on Xbox and then make it free on Gamepass then so can Marvel. Goodbye Spiderman PS exclusive?

Last edited:

Mmnow

"Xbox can't afford to not release Bethesda games on PlayStation."

MLB:

Seriously though, this makes sense. For Xbox it bolsters their sport offering on Gamepass - which will have I think every major sports title by the end of May - and MLB launches their game with a safety net. PlayStation will get money out of the deal no doubt too.

Everybody wins.

Last edited:
I bet Sony is pissed. MLB is calling the shots here, it's pretty much out of Sony’s hands.

That's the way it works with sports games. If you don't have the rights to the MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, etc, you don't even need to bother making a sports game. So, you do what they say.

At least this is a chance for Sony to demo on GamePass a small taste of the quality of Sony first-party studios.

wOs

You know they don't get to keep the games, right? They don't own Outriders or this, it won't be on GamePass permanently. Don't they leave after a few months?

...and most people are done playing the game by then. If not those are the people also willing to buy it less than retail as it has been out for awhile.

I bet Sony is pissed. MLB is calling the shots here, it's pretty much out of Sony’s hands.

That's the way it works with sports games. If you don't have the rights to the MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, etc, you don't even need to bother making a sports game. So, you do what they say.

At least this is a chance for Sony to demo on GamePass a small taste of the quality of Sony first-party studios.

Why Sony would be pissed? Surely they ( San Diego devs) received some part of the money from MS for GamePass release

Last edited:

jm89

Whenever I think of jim ryan I see that gif of jim carrey putting his hands in his ears and going lalalalala in dumb and dumber.

Regardless of who did end up making the decision, this is embarrassing as it was created by an sie studio.

I’m not buying the defence that poor little Sony was hoodwinked by the mean old MLB. I mean, I don’t believe for one second Sony dreamed this up (unless they have completely lost their minds) but... negotiate better.

If they were strong armed during renegotiation and caved that’s bad, if they didn’t read/realise what was in the contract and it happened to them that’s even worse! It’s either one of those things or they just didn’t care though?

Can’t figure this one out at all. Other than well played Microsoft. It’s not even really about the game itself (baseball) but the message. Oh, the message...

Papacheeks

Banned

Would not be surprised if a new deal is made by next year. Sony is the soul reason MLB:the show is consistently good. So if they went with another studio, good luck having the quality control every year.

Kerotan

This is such a 4D chess move by Microsoft -- doing the GamePass deal with MLB, who is the publisher of the game, totally bypassing Sony. Bravo!

The fanbase is on PlayStation and will continue to buy it. Sony are not in a position where they have to lose billions to become relevant again. They are already relevant, healthy and booming. They will continue selling games full price and not on a pass day 1.

Jaysen

Banned

Having a bad day, champ?

Top Bottom