• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 21 announcement trailer. Confirmed PS5 & 4. Xbox One and Series S & X

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
If you could capture the energy wasted on complaining about the Xbox port and nitpicking the performance differences between consoles, you could generate enough power to sustain one of the floating baseball cities from the Power Pro series.

The last MLB: The Show I played was 2018 on my PS4 but I didn't have PS Plus so I couldn't play online. I'm super excited to get my hands on this game and try BR and Diamond Dynasty.

CamHostage

Going multiplatform, and then that whole trailer made of realtime game footage... what a time to be a baseball fan. 🧢
(Nope)
It’s great the Xbox is getting this... I hope this doesn’t bite them in the ass though. Going multi platform the same time as releasing on next gen consoles seems like a bad idea.

I don't think it would. There was a time that they had PS4, PS3, and PS Vita versions at a time. And most of the work for one platform generation set will be conducive to either console, so although SIE San Diego aren't operating on an engine like Unreal or Unity that comes with platform support, as long as they're doing PS4 and PS5, X1 and XSX should be mostly be in line.

MLB The Show 21 is coming out a month later than the 2020 game (they usually ship in March, not April,) but I would guess that has more (if not all) to do with COVID than the Xbox versions.

Shame (for me, at least) that they're not doing a Switch version though. If Vita was still a supported platform, or if they had a mobile version, maybe Switch could have been viable project this year (hopefully they'll expand again and add Switch in 2022.)

Last edited:
These games look great...wish we could get a similar quality product but for a good sport.

I kid, sort of.

Baseball is great, but if the NFL, NBA and NHL want to switch over and give their licenses to Sony, we'd likely get much better sports games.

Neil Young

Hopefully it's a true next gen update. Best baseball game ever but I stopped buying it the last couple of seasons as the changes were miniscule. I'd play as the Red Sox in season mode and nothing was changed. Same background pics, commentary, animations etc. It seems, like most modern sports games, they've concentrated their resources to the ultimate team stuff. I can't blame them as that makes the money but I don't play that mode.

CamHostage

I must have missed something. When did MLB The Show go multiplat?

The expansion of the license was announced in 2019, with the first multiplatform games in the series planned to be released for "as soon as 2021" (which is now being met, with day-and-date launch instead of staggered release. That's good, as Sony might have contractually been able to be a PlayStation-first launch but didn't pull any of that power play.)

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I hope this doesn't happen, but I suspect some of my more zealous XBros will go with whichever narrative is applicable. After all console wars are serious business.

let them fight fighting GIF

Bo_Hazem

Banned
MLB and Xbox fans get to experience the best baseball video game of all time, and arguably the best sports game out there today.

This is a good thing for gamers.

Damn, if Sony could make a football game that's less floaty than FIFA games, especially you find PS5 ads all over the place in stadiums and so.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Damn, if Sony could make a football game that's less floaty than FIFA games, especially you find PS5 ads all over the place in stadiums and so.
The thing is, they tried making several other sports, it did not pan out. From my time spent there, it’s a special groups of baseball purists on the dev team, some ex players, etc..

They have a “special group” that just clicks for this sport that can’t be replicated with other sports. They have pure baseball passion in their blood over there.

You would need the same type of “lightning in a bottle” developers for other sports to replicate their output. It’s a rare group.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The thing is, they tried making several other sports, it did not pan out. From my time spent there, it’s a special groups of baseball purists on the dev team, some ex players, etc..

They have a “special group” that just clicks for this sport that can’t be replicated with other sports. They have pure baseball passion in their blood over there.

You would need the same type of “lightning in a bottle” developers for other sports to replicate their output. It’s a rare group.

That will be easily done. FIFA games are so bland, with all due respect to the US but it's not where you can grasp its passion. If it's done it should be done in the UK. Plenty of pundits and ex players would happily engage.

They already occupy the global mindset, and football deals like the biggest sport event in the world, UEFA Champions League, since 1997-present. They can also buy the Winning Eleven/PES IP from Konami, if that's achievable.

MastAndo

Gold Member
The last MLB: The Show I played was 2018 on my PS4 but I didn't have PS Plus so I couldn't play online. I'm super excited to get my hands on this game and try BR and Diamond Dynasty.
Same here. I'm tempted to pick up The Show 2020 to hold me over, since I saw it was on sale very recently for $10 - it's back up to $60 now though. :/

element

I hope Xbox fans enjoy paying for a $70 game that's infested with micro-transactions
Have you actually played The Show?

It has the least in your face micro-transactions among all the sports titles, let alone Ubisoft titles.

You can honestly create a god squad without spending a dime and a casual grind.

Desudzer10

It's been a PS exclusive for as long as it's been a franchise. I seriously doubt they'd be able to optimize it better on the XSX, especially the first time doing it for a different console. So if it runs better on the PS5 i won't be surprised. Xbox should just be glad that it finally has a baseball game for it. I think MLB 2K13 or so was the last real baseball game it had. RBI is a complete joke and super mega baseball is just a fun little arcade game(i do like it). Besides MVP 05, the Show every year has been the best baseball game ever and continuing to improve it.

Aenima

Hopefully this will slowly became a trend and more and more 1st party games will start being multiplatform even if they have a time exclusive period.

The moneymaker is the software not the hardware. So the more ppl that can play your game no matter what platform they own, the better.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That will be easily done. FIFA games are so bland, with all due respect to the US but it's not where you can grasp its passion. If it's done it should be done in the UK. Plenty of pundits and ex players would happily engage.

They already occupy the global mindset, and football deals like the biggest sport event in the world, UEFA Champions League, since 1997-present. They can also buy the Winning Eleven/PES IP from Konami, if that's achievable.
When I said “can’t be replicated,” I didn’t mean that other sports can’t find that special dev house cohesion, magic, I meant they couldn’t replicate the same beauty that is The Show in their basketball games and the like.

These guys live, breathe, eat, sleep, baseball. It’s a special group in that regards.

It’s not that easy to have that combination of talent and “they just get the sport” all in one.

Would love to see other sports games mirrored like their model, for sure.

Can we make a GAF Rule that no "Tatis Jr. Slander Will Be Tolerated"

Dude is about to be the face of the league. Insane talent.

Flip It Home Run GIF by San Diego Padres

Last edited:

CamHostage

Official pre-order page on Xbox.com, with a little bit of info.

Capabilities
*Xbox Live local multiplayer (2-4) *Online multiplayer (2-8) *Xbox Live cross-platform multiplayer *Xbox Live local co-op *HDR10 *4K Ultra HD *60 fps+

Description
OWN THE SHOW
Experience faster, deeper and more intense moment-to-moment match action on the field, with a variety of game modes for all you rookie players and returning seasoned vets.
• Lead your Ballplayer to Road to the Show and Diamond Dynasty glory as a two-way star.
• Enjoy revamped Franchise and March to October modes, with easy onboarding and tools.
• Face your friends on PlayStation 4™ or PlayStation 5™ with cross-platform play*
• Play as all-new Legends.

(LOL Sony, not fixing the description text to include all platforms. Sony version doesn't mention Xbox yet either.)
(Also funny, the Xbox site says "Published by: MLB" instead of Sony Interactive Entertainment. So, still a little bit of territorial pissing, maybe, but the PS logo is on the box; we'll see when Psychonauts 2 comes out what XGS looks like on a PlayStation box, if that game does come to retail. Strange days...)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Capabilities
*Xbox Live local multiplayer (2-4) *Online multiplayer (2-8) *Xbox Live cross-platform multiplayer *Xbox Live local co-op *HDR10 *4K Ultra HD *60 fps+

Description
OWN THE SHOW
Experience faster, deeper and more intense moment-to-moment match action on the field, with a variety of game modes for all you rookie players and returning seasoned vets.
• Lead your Ballplayer to Road to the Show and Diamond Dynasty glory as a two-way star.
• Enjoy revamped Franchise and March to October modes, with easy onboarding and tools.
• Face your friends on PlayStation 4™ or PlayStation 5™ with cross-platform play*

(LOL Sony, not fixing the description text to include all platforms. Sony version doesn't mention Xbox yet either.)
(Also funny, the Xbox site says "Published by: MLB" instead of Sony Interactive Entertainment. Still a little bit of territorial pissing, maybe, but the PS logo is on the box; we'll see when Psychonauts 2 comes out what XGS looks like on a PlayStation box, if that game does come to retail.)
March to October is a fantastic mode for those who no longer have time for full franchise seasons. Fantastic mode.

Can we put Mike Trout on the cover already and stop snubbing the best player in the game?

I was hoping this would come to the Switch this year for some baseball on the go but I guess I'll wait until next year and just keep playing 20.

D.Final

Banned

Capabilities

Description
OWN THE SHOW

(Also funny, the Xbox site says "Published by: MLB" instead of Sony Interactive Entertainment. Still a little bit of territorial pissing, maybe, but the PS logo is on the box; we'll see when Psychonauts 2 comes out what XGS looks like on a PlayStation box, if that game does come to retail.)
I see something like this before
I can't remember when

I really hope they have updated the graphics and physics this year. I want physically based leather gloves so bad. so the ball can actually react lie a real baseball. I also really hope they have added player collision physics as this is something that has been missing for years.

ManaByte

Apparently the Collector's Edition (with the steelbook and hat) is current gen on disc, with a download code for next-gen.

Top Bottom