• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 2020 |OT| Juan more year until it comes to Xbox and PC

Welcome to The Show 2020

mlb-the-show-20-standard-edition-physical-boxart-01-ps4-14jan20-en-us

Cover Athlete is Javier Baez Short Stop for the Chicago Cubs. One of the leagues best players.
giphy.gif

Release Date : March 17th 2020 *March 13th if you preorder any edition except the Standard Edition*

What is MLB The Show 2020?

It is a baseball game. It is annual release. Every year being better than the last. It builds upon and improves from last years game. I'm gonna run down some of the new things for this year. Perhaps next year when it goes multiplatform we will revamp the OT since we will have new players accessing this great game who previously didn't before. So lets being

Will Online Franchise Mode return this year?
The question that comes up first every year. The answer is... No, Yes, well sort of.

MLB The Show 2020 will have Custom Leagues. You can have up to 30 players. The creator of the league will decide the number of teams, the number of games, the playoff structure, and whether the league will use MLB Teams or Diamond Dynasty teams. Games can be played in any order. Teams eliminated from playoffs can still challenge other teams to games.

So it isn't exactly Online Franchise mode, but it kinda is.

How is online play? Is it any good? I had problems in previous years?
IDK. It was fine last year. I haven't played this years yet. GAF will let you know when we know.

What are stubs? What do you do with Packs?
Stubs is the currency in the game. You can use stubs to buy Packs or buy individual cards. Packs work just like Baseball Card Packs you opened as a kid. Packs have cards you get at random. Packs include players for your Diamond Dynasty team and equipment (bats, gloves) for your player

So what else is new in MLB The Show 2020?

First step system
Throw to Home Meter
700+ new animations
Extreme Catch indicator
Button Accuracy Meter
Perfect Timing Perfect Contact batting

Something that is new is relocating MLB Teams!!!
But it is basically exactly how you already create your Diamond Dynasty Team. While you can create a new Logo, Team Name, and City, you can't build your own stadium or anything.

Minor League Rosters for all 30 teams is now in the game! They even face scanned over 1,500 of those players.

Here is all the companies that will be in MLB The Show 2020. Talking equipment the players wear. Cards you get in packs to improve your team or RTTS player
New-items-768x428.jpg

The modes you need to know is

Road to the Show. Create a player and only play his plays (batting, fielding, Pitching) So if you are a Left Fielder, you only play when you are either batting, running the bases, a ball is hit to you.

Diamond Dynasty. Like Fifa Ultimate team. Reason the franchise will soon go Multiplatform

Online Custom Leagues. Sort of Online Franchise Mode

There are more but those are the big ones.

Thats pretty much it for now GAF. Of course I will update the OP and the Thread when important news is release. We will have a NeoGAF Custom Online League for anyone interested.

Enjoy the Show GAF

giphy.gif

Lets talk The Show. Any questions, leave them below​

Last edited:
I have not yet seen any information confirming Preload of the game.

However I do have reason to believe Preload will be available 3-11-2020. I'll update when I have heard or download starts.

Digital Deluxe. I'm going to keep 1 Micky Mantle from the diamond choice packs for myself, and sell 1 next week when the price skyrockets.
I only got that for early access. My Diamond Dynasty team will consist of all 2020 Nationals, I buy them off the marketplace.

I’m currently right at the end of season 2 of my Rockies franchise in MLB 19 (had to wait for OSFM 2.0 roster to drop). Am 4 games behind the Dodgers for the Divison, almost locked for the wild card (missed playoffs in year one). This might be the first time I import a save and just continue franchise forever, really invested in this one, wanna see where I can get Noly and Trev on the all-time lists for their 3B and SS.

I have always been primarily a sports gamer at heart and The Show is, for my money, the best simulation in the market. My system is, for each turn through the rotation I play a full game full control for game 1, then I player lock game 2 (either Trev or Nolan), then quick manage game 3 where I either control pitching and sim batting (or vice versa the next time, then player lock game 4, quick manage game 5 (Switch side from game 3), repeat as the order turns over again.

The stats are amazingly satisfying. I won’t waste your time but it’s amazing how realistic you can get it and the variety of game scenarios you see play out.

My minor league system is pretty Garbo though, maybe I’ll start fresh with a new team in 20. Liking the Twins

Long Live The Show

One of my favorite games to have Spotify on in the background and just chill while playing. Time melts away, hours fly by

I’ve got a great set of gameplay sliders with mostly just minor tweaks here and there to best reflect realistic results and a great custom camera angle that help lay off the low breaking balls. Customization is the area that The Show destroys every other major sports title. I wish Madden offered this many different ways to play (bring back QB vision cone for those who want to use it). Options are good. Options are always good. The Show gives you options

Last edited:
Still no custom leagues or adjustable season length for single player.

:(

That is my biggest complaint regarding The Show. I tend to enjoy franchise type experiences most in sports games, and playing a franchise in The Show is just punitive to anyone - with or without a "life" or anyone who just wants to, you know, play other games sometimes. It just demands devotion to its black hole time sink.

Honestly for me The Show is best in local multiplayer where you can play a game, series or World Series with a friend. It shines in its condensed form, but it loses a fair bit of its luster in the grind it can ask within many of its ways to play.

Having said all that, I've sunk thousands of hours into Out of the Park, so, for me, that's just the better baseball game. It does such an incredible job of building a baseball universe tailored to how you want to play.

I'm not trying to crap on The Show, because I do love it. But I just find it hard to love it in the way that I would like.

And I didn't enjoy March to October mode either. The sporadic form left me pretty disconnected.

Liking the Twins

Good man! :)

Last edited:

Dthomp

I'm excited, just wish I was better at the game. Stupid old man eyes.

Also, what Diamond players are folks here taking from the Pre-Order Pack or Packs? I'm really not sure who I want, but leaning towards at least 1 Braves pitcher, and maybe Mo....IDK so indecisive

I'm excited, just wish I was better at the game. Stupid old man eyes.

Also, what Diamond players are folks here taking from the Pre-Order Pack or Packs? I'm really not sure who I want, but leaning towards at least 1 Braves pitcher, and maybe Mo....IDK so indecisive
I'm taking 1 Micky Mantle for my DD team and selling 1 on the market. People over pay the first few days and one of those diamonds could be anywhere from 300-500k stubs in the first few days.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Did you catch the virus?

Also, my order from Best Buy for the MVP edition hit some shipping delay. They don’t provide any additional info except to say.. if we don’t get you your order by Apr. 12, we will refund you.

I hope you’re OK!

Darklor01

I had a fun battle with Best Buy this morning. I won.

Shortest version:
They sent an Email there was a delay. I call, they say, no it'll arrive today and to disregard. They give a Fedex tracking number. I ask, did it ship and is it on it's way. They say yes. I called Fedex, they say they don't have the item from BB so not likely and they can't provide an update since they don't have the item. I call BB and explain. We go back and forth a bit...
I make them create an order for in store pickup today for that version with a $0 balance. I have them create a case ID that IF I get the item which is nowhere right now, which I've already paid for, I'll return it, get the refurn reference the case # and they can re-charge me the $.

They did.

Dthomp

Had some crazy luck with my special edition packs and rewards. 1st pack, pulled Trout :) Sold him to fund my Dodgers collection and get that sweet Piazza. Thru the rest of my extras packed Degrom, Charlie Morton, J.T Realmuto, and George Springer. Now if only I could freaking hit the ball and not blindly swing at everything.

There seems to be almost too much content to know where to start for me. Did the Tebow map, started 1st Inning Map, did a few of the Eck moments.

Ballistic

Had some crazy luck with my special edition packs and rewards. 1st pack, pulled Trout :) Sold him to fund my Dodgers collection and get that sweet Piazza. Thru the rest of my extras packed Degrom, Charlie Morton, J.T Realmuto, and George Springer. Now if only I could freaking hit the ball and not blindly swing at everything.

There seems to be almost too much content to know where to start for me. Did the Tebow map, started 1st Inning Map, did a few of the Eck moments.

Darn casuals, always getting all the good stuff!:messenger_beaming:

Ballistic

my best pulls came from my twitch packs, freeman and kersh. Been playing regularly since 17 and can't sniff a Trout, while every else around me has crazy pack luck.:messenger_loudly_crying:

Darklor01

I had a fun battle with Best Buy this morning. I won.

Shortest version:
They sent an Email there was a delay. I call, they say, no it'll arrive today and to disregard. They give a Fedex tracking number. I ask, did it ship and is it on it's way. They say yes. I called Fedex, they say they don't have the item from BB so not likely and they can't provide an update since they don't have the item. I call BB and explain. We go back and forth a bit...
I make them create an order for in store pickup today for that version with a $0 balance. I have them create a case ID that IF I get the item which is nowhere right now, which I've already paid for, I'll return it, get the refurn reference the case # and they can re-charge me the $.

They did.

Just got this shipping notification from Best Buy through FedEx that the shipped version should arrive in about a month.
BB-20the-Show-MVP-Tracking.jpg

Picked up at store for $0 today.
20the-Show-MVP-Picked-Up.jpg

My best pulls so far were Aaron Judge, Mookie Betts, and J.T. Realmuto. All on my DD squad with my preorder bonus diamonds (Mantle and Smoltz) got some decent golds as well. Need some more lefty pop, so I'm probably gonna try and grab Harper on the market.

Last edited:
Finished year 2 of my Rockies ‘chise with 97 wins, 4 games behind LA

Lost wildcard game to Braves, Acuna hit go ahead solo shot off Oberg in the 9th and Greene closed it out, lost 5-4, heartbreaker, had a 3-0 lead early

25-20 so far in year 3, imported my save over

signed Charlie Morton and Carlos Santana in the off-season.

Traded Ryan McMahon and my AAA catcher to Pirates for Joe Musgrove and Edgar Santana to bolster rotation and bullpen. McMahon had won a gold glove in year 2 and OVR climbed to 87. Musgrove has been good, Edgar Santana getting rocked. His attributes looked good on paper

Top prospect Brendan Rodgers took over for McMahon at 2nd, has “A” potential and already 80 overall, 23 years old. Struggling at the plate a little but gonna be a 90+ player in a couple seasons

prospect Sam Hilliard is main guy off the bench, huge power. Josh Fuentes fills in for Nolan if rest is needed.

Trevor Story has huge season in year 2 (49 hrs, 128 RBIs) but is only at 7 homers and 24 RBIs so far. Nolan and Blackmon are crushing so far tho. Carlos Santana has 12 jacks but hitting .244 overall so far

Fucking love this game

with the right settings, sliders, camera angles, it feels like playing a real game

Battling those pesky Nats (the bane of my existence Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese , for wildcard position, but it’s early. Lot of season left

Fuck The Dodgers

oh and Raimel Tapia is a beast in this game, dude always performs way above his ratings for me

Last edited:

Ballistic

At this point, I believe the devs dev kits were juiced during the dev tournament because balls that are die at at the wall. Once you hear that ball was well hit, you may as well throw your controller because it’s getting caught. Moments are still there own difficulty.

Dthomp

I don't think I've ever seen a patch for a game take me from loving it to considering shelving the game as quick as todays patch has. Hitting was FINALLY good for a change, NOPE everything is just at guys now. Instead of constantly on a yearly basis nerfing hitting, why don't they improve the god awful pitching?

Basically to get my 300PP I need to just play conquest all day, cause I can't play at a high enough level for online, and Showdown is beyond dumb hard after the update. Just shaking my head at SDS terrible decision making again

Finally finished year 3, got sidetracked with JRPGs

finished with 101 wins, still 12 games behind the Dodgers, who are basically unbeatable at this point

Hosted the Nationals in wild card round and finally won one! Won 2-0, Marquez and Mad Max pitched gems

So I’m onto the NLDS for the first time....against the fucking Dodgers

welp, fun while it lasted

Finally finished year 3, got sidetracked with JRPGs

finished with 101 wins, still 12 games behind the Dodgers, who are basically unbeatable at this point

Hosted the Nationals in wild card round and finally won one! Won 2-0, Marquez and Mad Max pitched gems

So I’m onto the NLDS for the first time....against the fucking Dodgers

welp, fun while it lasted
What difficulty

Top Bottom