• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Post Season |OT| BYOB

Yeah I don't understand why they do that with MLB TV. I mean, I understand it's due to multimillion dollar deals for broadcasting rights but if this sport is so concerned with shrinking viewership/attendance the first step would be to make sure fans in local markets can actually watch their team on the service.

prag16

Banned
Personally I feel there is no team in the NL that can stack up against any of the 3 AL powerhouses, especially if Boston or Houston makes the World Series. They decimated the NL the past two years.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/mlb/stats/interleague/

But anything can happen in a short series as well.
I agree, the NL is fucked. I'm a little biased, but hell, I'd have more faith in the Mets than these teams due to the starting pitching. Their starters have been insane since the ASB. Last I checked Wheeler was just as good as deGrom during that time. Thor and Matz were damn good too and even Vargas was serviceable. I'm actually excited about the young core on offense too for next year. Conforto, Nimmo, Rosario, McNeil, Alonso.. But the Wilpons will 100% fuck it up by blocking Alonso and not spending on bullpen studs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I agree, the NL is fucked. I'm a little biased, but hell, I'd have more faith in the Mets than these teams due to the starting pitching. Their starters have been insane since the ASB. Last I checked Wheeler was just as good as deGrom during that time. Thor and Matz were damn good too and even Vargas was serviceable. I'm actually excited about the young core on offense too for next year. Conforto, Nimmo, Rosario, McNeil, Alonso.. But the Wilpons will 100% fuck it up by blocking Alonso and not spending on bullpen studs.

Mets are going to have a good pitching staff with young studs. If they focus on getting some quality offensive bats, they will be a contender for sure.

prag16

Banned
Mets are going to have a good pitching staff with young studs. If they focus on getting some quality offensive bats, they will be a contender for sure.
They need a catcher, but outside of that I'm not sure they even need bats, assuming they get anything decent out of Cespedes. That horrendous bullpen is the main concern. Gsellman and Lugo are keepers, but burn the rest of that shit down. At least two stud FAs are needed. But the Wilpons suck so they'll instead spend the money on a declining Murph to block McNeil and some other washed up corner outfielder.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They need a catcher, but outside of that I'm not sure they even need bats, assuming they get anything decent out of Cespedes. That horrendous bullpen is the main concern. Gsellman and Lugo are keepers, but burn the rest of that shit down. At least two stud FAs are needed. But the Wilpons suck so they'll instead spend the money on a declining Murph to block McNeil and some other washed up corner outfielder.

I meant a younger replacement for someone like Bautista who is getting up there. I bat like him in his prime along with what you mentioned would jettison that team.

cr0w

Old Member
Hou’s good, really good. I wouldn’t be surprised or pissed if they repeat.

It's hard to believe this is the same team from just a few years ago. I went to so many half-filled games during their losing seasons, and the entire town seemed to forget it had a baseball team. A hell of a turnaround, and it's been really fun to watch. I'm a Cubs fan first, as they were my first baseball love growing up in Chicago, but I moved to Houston in 2000. It's been a great couple of years, even if the past two World Series have taken about a decade off my life.

Colorado and Atlanta both facing elimination at home today. I think Colorado can push a game 4 today but it's the end of the line for the Braves.

Heckuva bullpen meltdown by the Rockies. Just a bad series altogether, zero offense from one of the best teams at scoring in the league. Congrats to Milwaukee though, they're proving to be a fun team to watch

Yikes a bases loaded 2 out walk to the pitcher. Never a good sign. Walker can't find the zone

Edit: holy shit the umpire powered up Acuña

Last edited:
Crazy end to the game tonight, Braves somehow manage to live to play another day. We got ourselves a full day of baseball for Canadian Thanksgiving tomorrow so I'm thankful for good excuse to ignore my family and watch TV ;)

We're underway in Cleveland! I think the Tribe can pull out a win today against Keuchel, most of the team has hit him pretty well in the past so if they can string together a couple hits here and there they should be able to put some runs on the board. Around the league I think it's probably the end of the line for the Braves, Rich Hill had their number the first game and those older guys that stay effective usually prey on young hitters inexperience. If LA gets to the Braves bullpen early it's probably GGs because they should be pretty taxed. As for Boston vs New York, I'll give the advantage to the Yankees. Not sure how much faith I have in Nathan Eovaldi, he's never been one for consistency.

bigedole

Didn't see this thread until now, holding out hope for the Yankees as a life long fan, but I'm expecting Boston to win in the end. The studs on the Yankees are so young though, the future looks good. A couple more seasons of experience and they're going to be crazy.

Didn't see this thread until now, holding out hope for the Yankees as a life long fan, but I'm expecting Boston to win in the end. The studs on the Yankees are so young though, the future looks good. A couple more seasons of experience and they're going to be crazy.

Welcome to the thread! I also think it's a bit too early for the Yankees to win a series, especially with an inexperienced manager. But another season or two and it's almost guaranteed. Should be another great game tonight

Another disappointing season for the Indians in a lopsided fashion. I wonder how many seasons that team has before the door closes on them. Oh well, on to the NL game

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Good read from one of the locals on the Indians

Going off that article, 162 games and than to suddenly be swept in the first round SUCKS. I’m going to miss watching the Boys of summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good read from one of the locals on the Indians

Going off that article, 162 games and than to suddenly be swept in the first round SUCKS. I’m going to miss watching the Boys of summer.

It can be shitty but these series haven't even been competitive, the Indians and Rockies would have been down 3-0 and I highly doubt they'd have put up a win anyway. Also RIP Braves, they got a bright future ahead of them when the young hitters mature a bit.

Finished with the Canadian Thanksgiving and just started watching as the Red Sox piled on runs. Yikes. If I'm Boston I'm hoping for a win tomorrow because I don't want David Price potentially starting a game 5

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It can be shitty but these series haven't even been competitive, the Indians and Rockies would have been down 3-0 and I highly doubt they'd have put up a win anyway. Also RIP Braves, they got a bright future ahead of them when the young hitters mature a bit.

Finished with the Canadian Thanksgiving and just started watching as the Red Sox piled on runs. Yikes. If I'm Boston I'm hoping for a win tomorrow because I don't want David Price potentially starting a game 5
I got Red Sox winning it all, in the World Series VS I don’t know who but I got them winning their 4th World Series in new millennium.

I admittedly turned the game off last night because it was a blow out and I was tired from all the turkey so I missed the Brock Holt cycle, so congrats to him on doing something that's never been done before.

Even after last night I think the Yankees can prolong the series. Sabathia comes up big in these situations and Porcello is meh. Hopefully not a blowout on either side though, I want a good competitive game tonight.

We're back in action with the NLCS starting tonight. Dodgers vs Brewers. I'm going to give this one to the brew crew as I think a Kershaw meltdown is imminent. That Atlanta start doesn't mean much to me as they're a bunch of rookies that got carved up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We're back in action with the NLCS starting tonight. Dodgers vs Brewers. I'm going to give this one to the brew crew as I think a Kershaw meltdown is imminent. That Atlanta start doesn't mean much to me as they're a bunch of rookies that got carved up.

I'm leaning towards the Brewers as well. Not sure how they will fare in the long haul with starting pitching by committee, but their bullpen is nice however.

The game has changed as well.

Last edited:
Another close game last night due to a wild last couple of innings. If I'm Craig Counsel I'm not sure about putting Jeffress in high leverage situations, he's been walking a tight rope the whole postseason and does not look good. Also the errors last night by the Dodgers were baffling.

I'm on my phone so I can't look up advanced stats but I'm taking Milwaukee again tonight even though some of LA probably has decent numbers on Miley from his days in Arizona. I'll take Boston as well even though I think Houston is going to win the series. It's probably going to go down to who gets into the other teams bullpen first so the Sox got to let Sale pitch deep into the game if he's effective

I've had a cold kicking my ass the past few days so I haven't been around but I've still been watching the games! Today I think I got the Red Sox (even though it's already started) I just think Boston is going to do a lot of what we saw in the first inning, just slapping singles and doubles against Keuchel. Full out small ball game today.

Meanwhile out in LA I'll take the Brewers. Dodgers struggled against lefties in 2017 and it carried over a bit to this year. Gio Gonzales should be able to further frustrate an already frustrated Dodger offense.

It's been pretty wild seeing catchers go through multiple sets of signs with no runners on. Sign stealing is fine if a runner on second can figure out the sequence but all this digital age bullshit has got to stop.

Anyway I missed the end of the Brewers vs Dodgers last night. Way too tired and sick for an extra innings affair on the east coast. Good news is I feel way better today and have almost kicked this virus.

I'll take the Brewers today and the Stros to even things up. Oh and fuck Manny Machado. He's always been suspect but his actions this series only confirm he's a dick.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's been pretty wild seeing catchers go through multiple sets of signs with no runners on. Sign stealing is fine if a runner on second can figure out the sequence but all this digital age bullshit has got to stop.

Anyway I missed the end of the Brewers vs Dodgers last night. Way too tired and sick for an extra innings affair on the east coast. Good news is I feel way better today and have almost kicked this virus.

I'll take the Brewers today and the Stros to even things up. Oh and fuck Manny Machado. He's always been suspect but his actions this series only confirm he's a dick.

When he was with Baltimore he flew under the radar for a lot of his antics. It really blew up with he slid into Pedroia cleats up... then there was the time when he threw his bat on a fake late swing to the third baseman, etc..

Someone is going to knock him on his ass if he keeps it up.

The dude is bushleague shit.

Last edited:
Yeah I remember the Athletics stuff from a few seasons back, I'm pretty sure he intentionally hit the catcher in the back of the head with his swing. He seemed to behave a bit better after that incident but its come back full force these playoffs. He hit Kratz with a backswing the other night and just walked out of the box. Doesn't even acknowledge what he did, total dick move.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There's been some huge plays in the outfield in both these series. Shit got intense last night

For real. The save most definitely went to Benny Biceps in that one. Kimbrel needs to get his head on straight and find the strike zone again! I can't handle the anxiety he gives me.

Last edited:
For real. The save most definitely went to Benny Biceps in that one. Kimbrel needs to get his head on straight and find the strike zone again! I can't handle the anxiety he gives me.

Truth, Kimbrel has been ass in this post-season. If we make it to the WS and Steven Wright returns I wouldn't mind to see him getting a longer closer role. Like you pitch Brasier in the 6th, Barnes in the 7th and Wright in the 8th and 9th.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Truth, Kimbrel has been ass in this post-season. If we make it to the WS and Steven Wright returns I wouldn't mind to see him getting a longer closer role. Like you pitch Brasier in the 6th, Barnes in the 7th and Wright in the 8th and 9th.

I could not agree more. Brasier has been the unsung hero out of the bullpen this post season. Barnes has been pretty solid as well.

I have a feeling if they go to the WS and Wright is back, it may help with Kimbrel. Seeing a knuckler setup before that 98MPH sometimes can have a good impact, even if he is a little outside the strike zone still.

We are 4 almost 5 games in, and they keep talking about Astros Bullpen, yet, their BP has been letting them down, and the Sox have stepped up solid.

Last edited:
I could not agree more. Brasier has been the unsung hero out of the bullpen this post season. Barnes has been pretty solid as well.

I have a feeling if they go to the WS and Wright is back, it may help with Kimbrel. Seeing a knuckler setup before that 98MPH sometimes can have a good impact, even if he is a little outside the strike zone still.

We are 4 almost 5 games in, and they keep talking about Astros Bullpen, yet, their BP has been letting them down, and the Sox have stepped up solid.

For all the talk about the Golden State Astros, the Red Sox has flat out been the better team during the entire series. I disagree a bit about Kimbrel because he's missing his pitches by a LOT and then he's faced to just put things in the zone. I'd consider shutting him down, but I'll be glad if he and Cora prove me wrong.

Kimbrel looks like another dude who has a case of the postseason wily nilys. He's all over the place in the strike zone. I'd agree with not using him in close situations, he's barely made it out of a few potential disasters.

Anyway game 5 time. I've been wrong about Houston but Verlander vs Price I got to take Houston at home. They wouldn't lose the series at home would they?

Congrats to the Red Sox on advancing to the World Series. I can't imagine either the Brewers or Dodgers standing much of a chance against them so it should be time to plan another parade in a week or so.

Top Bottom