• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Pitcher breaks finger playing video game

PooBone

Oakland Athletics' Jesus Luzardo suffers broken hand while playing video game

Oakland Athletics left-hander Jesus Luzardo suffered a broken throwing hand while playing a video game before Saturday's start, manager Bob Melvin told reporters Sunday.

Luzardo, who took the loss in the 8-4 defeat to the Baltimore Orioles, bumped his hand on a table while playing the game, Melvin said. The Athletics staff determined Luzardo could pitch, but an X-ray showed a hairline fracture in his pinkie after the game.

The Athletics have placed Luzardo on the injured list and recalled left-hander Adam Kolarek from their alternate training site.

Oakland is getting first baseman Matt Olson back in the lineup Sunday. Olson had missed three straight games after being hit in the left eye by a ball that ricocheted off the L-screen during batting practice Thursday.

Luzardo, 23, gave up six runs on five hits, two walks and two wild pitches in three innings against the Orioles, although only three runs were earned. He is 1-3 with a 5.79 ERA in six starts this season.

Any guesses on which game?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Any guesses on which game?

It's a bogus story.

Professional athletes sign contracts prohibiting them from participating in certain activities due to injury risk.

He probably got his finger jammed playing basketball, which he wasn't supposed to do, so he told everyone it was from videogames.

Spokker

I know I worked my fingers hard on those NES track and field games. And Double Dare had some mini-games that had me going hard on those buttons.

I wouldn't be surprised if I had some undiagnosed hairline fractures over the years. When a button needs to be pushed repeatedly, I can somehow put myself in a trance my whole body tenses up and I push that button really fast. My wife doesn't understand how I do it, so I win at any kind of button mashing game.

StormCell

It's a bogus story.

Professional athletes sign contracts prohibiting them from participating in certain activities due to injury risk.

He probably got his finger jammed playing basketball, which he wasn't supposed to do, so he told everyone it was from videogames.
Yeah, because this story sounds so much better... To me, it reads as follows... Major league pitcher breaks hand punching a table in frustration while playing a video game.

FrankWza

Yeah, because this story sounds so much better... To me, it reads as follows... Major league pitcher breaks hand punching a table in frustration while playing a video game.
It’s not about how it sounds. They have certain activities that they’re not allowed to do put in their contracts. Like skydiving and motorcycle riding.

StormCell

It’s not about how it sounds. They have certain activities that they’re not allowed to do put in their contracts. Like skydiving and motorcycle riding.
How about punching water coolers in the dug out?

Yes, I'm not dumb and understand there's a lengthy list of activities they're not supposed to do (such as motorcycle riding), but most of these guys are dumb enough to throw a game controller across the room and punch a wall or a TV.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
6a0115709f071f970b0133f4b385e2970b.png

The Alien

Banned
Not the oddest baseball injury reported.

A few years back, Tom Glavine was injured while ironing his shirt. Suffered 3rd degree burns. Apparently tried ironing his shirt while it was still on!!! 🤪

FrankWza

How about punching water coolers in the dug out?

Yes, I'm not dumb and understand there's a lengthy list of activities they're not supposed to do (such as motorcycle riding), but most of these guys are dumb enough to throw a game controller across the room and punch a wall or a TV.
I’m just saying. He might have done it doing something else and saying this doesn’t cost him money or doesn’t possibly trigger a clause in the contract.

Top Bottom