• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Considering Beginning a 100-Game Season in June, Realigning the League into 3 10-team divisions

ManaByte

Gold Member

Major League Baseball officials have become cautiously optimistic this week that the season will start in late June, and no later than July 2, playing at least 100 regular-season games, according to three executives with knowledge of the talks. They requested anonymity because the plan is still under consideration.

MLB is considering a three-division, 10-team plan in which teams play only within their division – a concept gaining support among owners and executives. It would abolish the traditional American and National Leagues, and realign the divisions based on geography.

EAST

• New York Yankees and Mets, Boston Red Sox, Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Blue Jays, Tampa Bay Rays, Miami Marlins
WEST

• Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels, San Francisco Giants, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners
CENTRAL

• Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox, Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Detroit Tigers

The Astros and Dodgers in the same division!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Is there still talk of containing games to Arizona ballparks and spring training parks?

My first bet was the season would be cancelled but I guess any baseball is better than no baseball even if it’s a really gently setup for one shortened season

Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese trade me Acuna NOW

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Is there still talk of containing games for Arizona ballparks and spring training parks?

My first bet was the season would be cancelled but I guess any baseball is better than no baseball even if it’s a really gently setup for one shortened season

Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese trade me Acuna NOW

No they'll be playing in their own ballparks. The realignment is done to limit travel. They'll only play within their division.

It's time

The good teams will still rise to the top with a little extra pressure of less games

ehhhh, probably, but it does feel odd to me that the sport most romantic about its traditions is going to play a season so truncated and mutated. Ballpark differentials, road stretches, a lot of what makes the baseball season special going out the window (based on the plan I heard about). But I guess it’s better than nothing

(edit: okay if everyone is playing in their own park I feel better about it)

Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese

Trade me fucking Acuna NOW MOTHERFUCKER

Last edited:
So if someone finishes the 100 game season with .400 batting average or record low ERA (just spitballing here, not saying it’s likely, 100 games is still a lot of games) does it go in the history books with an asterisk? Will stat fiends still factor in this seasons’ numbers when compiling average year to year stats (homers, strike outs, etc) or will it just kinda be a phantom season stat wise, historically? Individual stats still count toward a player’s career numbers, obviously (Like if someone were to hit their 300th home run, for example) but total league wide stats are put in a different category when referencing historical average seasonal output?

neobiz

ehhhh, probably, but it does feel odd to me that the sport most romantic about its traditions is going to play a season so truncated and mutated. Ballpark differentials, road stretches, a lot of what makes the baseball season special going out the window (based on the plan I heard about). But I guess it’s better than nothing

(edit: okay if everyone is playing in their own park I feel better about it)

Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese

Trade me fucking Acuna NOW MOTHERFUCKER

I get it but times change

They ain't riding a GrayHound or Amtrack outta town so I'd rather truncate the season and PLAY BALL

KRod

Neo Member
I could see them doing that, but they would probably have to play games without the crowd. At which point it would be meaningless for the teams to travel too much, so it would be better to have the games all played in venues around the same area to limit unnecessary travel

KRod

Neo Member
So if someone finishes the 100 game season with .400 batting average or record low ERA (just spitballing here, not saying it’s likely, 100 games is still a lot of games) does it go in the history books with an asterisk? Will stat fiends still factor in this seasons’ numbers when compiling average year to year stats (homers, strike outs, etc) or will it just kinda be a phantom season stat wise, historically? Individual stats still count toward a player’s career numbers, obviously (Like if someone were to hit their 300th home run, for example) but total league wide stats are put in a different category when referencing historical average seasonal output?

Probably not, considering many of those records that are still standing today are from the late 19th century and early 20th century, when they played fewer games. Like literally, the single season batting average record is held by Hugh Duffy from the 1894 season

ManaByte

Gold Member
I could see them doing that, but they would probably have to play games without the crowd. At which point it would be meaningless for the teams to travel too much, so it would be better to have the games all played in venues around the same area to limit unnecessary travel

They were going to play them all in the spring facilities. But some big name players objected to playing the season away from their families, and since Manfred is the union's complacent bitch; they're going with this plan.

KRod

Neo Member
They were going to play them all in the spring facilities. But some big name players objected to playing the season away from their families, and since Manfred is the union's complacent bitch; they're going with this plan.

So is the plan then to still have them travel to the regular stadiums, but without the crowds?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Came here for Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese expert opinion. Was not disappointed.

Interesting times but personally I think people should (cautiously) get back to playing games, living life, and forging ahead.

Interesting times but personally I think people should (cautiously) get back to playing games, living life, and forging ahead.
My concern is first for pitchers. Are they gonna have another Spring Training? Are they at least gonna have an advanced notice of when to be ready in order to build up? Are they gonna expand rosters to include more pitchers for the first part of the season?

Its one thing to step into a game and not hit because you dont have your timing, Its another to think a Starting Pitcher can step on the mound and throw a 100 pitches in a start. Assume you can't and have to go to Bullpen early often in the beginning. Then Relief Arms are overworked early. Also if the virus is a concern, do you want to keep calling up guys from minors...

Maybe hold off on the 3 batter minimum and allow the roster expanded to 32.[/USER][/QUOTE]

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
My concern is first for pitchers. Are they gonna have another Spring Training? Are they at least gonna have an advanced notice of when to be ready in order to build up? Are they gonna expand rosters to include more pitchers for the first part of the season?

Its one thing to step into a game and not hit because you dont have your timing, Its another to think a Starting Pitcher can step on the mound and throw a 100 pitches in a start. Assume you can't and have to go to Bullpen early often in the beginning. Then Relief Arms are overworked early. Also if the virus is a concern, do you want to keep calling up guys from minors...

Maybe hold off on the 3 batter minimum and allow the roster expanded to 32.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I like this especially when most games would be rained out at this point in time and not having a season would be the worst when baseball is such a special American sport.

Yeah. The part of me that misses baseball (and sport in general) welcomes a return of any kind.

The stat freak in me is twitching uncomfortably at the idea. :p And baseball, of all sports, has such hallowed records tied to a long-term consistency in season length.

Would be weird for sure. But baseball is full of oddities, and that's part of what makes it beautiful imho.

Where will these games be played though? I think the every team in Arizona rumor from a few weeks ago is fantasy island. My best friend works for the Cleveland Indians and he thinks no season at all this year.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Where will these games be played though? I think the every team in Arizona rumor from a few weeks ago is fantasy island. My best friend works for the Cleveland Indians and he thinks no season at all this year.

The article explains it. 3 ten team divisions. Games played in the home ballparks. They only travel and play within their division.

Amory

If MLB gets going before other sports, it'll be the first time in a long time that I consistently watch baseball games.

It ain't my favorite game to watch, but any port in a storm

Top Bottom