• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2021 Off Season Discussion Thread : Don't think, it can only hurt the Ballclub

Sorry. I haven't had the motivation to make a thread and refuse to make an OT until I know the specifics of the upcoming season. It is what it is.

But we have had big news and need a space to share it and discuss it. So on greyshark greyshark on R Rock And Roll and on StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige and on DeepEnigma DeepEnigma and on B Bladed Thesis too

We have Josh Bell going to my Washington Nationals and Blake Snell going to the Padres.

I use https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/ a lot and find them to be up to date and on top of things. https://www.baseball-reference.com/ for statistics

But I can't deny the Covid situation has zapped my enthusiasm, both for last season and the "upcoming". Otherwise I would have celebrated the Josh Bell trade.

Anyway here we are. At least MLB The Show is still coming and for the first time Multiplatform this year I believe.

washington nationals GIF by MLB

Last edited:
The dads are said to be the front runner for Ha Seong Kim too, they're all in AF. Jays might still be in contention but I have a feeling SD will outbid them.

And yeah, my enthusiasm is gone. Don't know if I'll even get MLB.TV this year but am contemplating The Show 21

Edit: Padres have signed Kim and are now in trade talks with the Cubs about Yu Darvish. Preller making moves

Last edited:

MC Safety

Don't mind me. I'm just holding out for Steve Cohen delivering a good year for the Mets.

He's already got the right idea(s). Hire Sandy Alderson, restock the farm team, and spend (wisely) where needed.

Hopefully, the Mets can move past the New York Mess phase of the team's existence. It was a mistake to hire Brodie Van Whateverhisnamewas. He might have developed into a good GM if he'd had some oversight. But instead the guy got to run free, which led to the Mess' giving up a great prospect in what was a salary dump for the Mariners. Brodie also spent liberally (for the New York Mess, that is) on sweetheart deals for his former clients, and those turned out as well as you'd expect.

Steve Cohen is a big twitter guy, and he went on today to praise the Padres for the team's acquisitions. He also noted the Mess don't have the flexibility the Padres do because the team's cupboard is bare.

I figure I'll ask here instead of sifting through Gaming (yes, I know search is an option but I refuse to necrobump)

Bought the show 20 onsale for $10. I think the last show I played was 13-14 so I've been out of it for awhile. Anyway I'm doing Road to the show and I'm getting the impression they just want me to swing at everything? I usually look for a pitch in a certain spot until I'm down to my last strike. So there's a runner on first and I don't want to hit into a DP which means I'm looking for something up. Pitcher comes in low and tight on me which I spit on. But the game makes me lose vision points for taking a strike? Happens anytime I don't swing at a pitch, I lose vision points. I guess it's because it's the start of the game they just want you to swing since everything thrown is a strike but still, am I missing something here?

Also if you take off on a 3-2 pitch with 2 outs you lose base stealing attributes? How do I show???

Dthomp

Sorry. I haven't had the motivation to make a thread and refuse to make an OT until I know the specifics of the upcoming season. It is what it is.

But we have had big news and need a space to share it and discuss it. So on greyshark greyshark on R Rock And Roll and on StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige and on DeepEnigma DeepEnigma and on B Bladed Thesis too

We have Josh Bell going to my Washington Nationals and Blake Snell going to the Padres.

I use https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/ a lot and find them to be up to date and on top of things. https://www.baseball-reference.com/ for statistics

But I can't deny the Covid situation has zapped my enthusiasm, both for last season and the "upcoming". Otherwise I would have celebrated the Josh Bell trade.

Anyway here we are. At least MLB The Show is still coming and for the first time Multiplatform this year I believe.

washington nationals GIF by MLB
Still no news on the Show this coming season, but it seemed the last I saw that I thought it was going to be hard for them to have multiplat this season, more likely next season. I think between the license and COVID and seeing how it seemed to effect their ability to do anything other then release packs this last year that I think this will be a lazy year with minimal changes until we get a true mulitplatform option, and more importantly a proper full next gen PS5 version. I'm right there with ya on Covid, basketball is my first love and I just can't get into it or any sports right now. Maybe this year I'll finally get a Minnesota Twin other then Rod Carew and Killabrew...GIVE ME KIRBY!
I figure I'll ask here instead of sifting through Gaming (yes, I know search is an option but I refuse to necrobump)

Bought the show 20 onsale for $10. I think the last show I played was 13-14 so I've been out of it for awhile. Anyway I'm doing Road to the show and I'm getting the impression they just want me to swing at everything? I usually look for a pitch in a certain spot until I'm down to my last strike. So there's a runner on first and I don't want to hit into a DP which means I'm looking for something up. Pitcher comes in low and tight on me which I spit on. But the game makes me lose vision points for taking a strike? Happens anytime I don't swing at a pitch, I lose vision points. I guess it's because it's the start of the game they just want you to swing since everything thrown is a strike but still, am I missing something here?

Also if you take off on a 3-2 pitch with 2 outs you lose base stealing attributes? How do I show???

Didn't play much RTTS this last season, but I'm not sure they have it programmed to realize taking pitches is good sometimes. If you are in the minors or the beginner tutorial stuff, you're just better off swinging, you tend to crush everything in that mode. I think with the 3-2 count thing, if it's ball 4 it wouldn't be a stolen base, and I'm not 100% sure on baseball rules but on a strike 3 it may log as a fielders choice or something.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Soooo, any interesting baseball news today, fellas?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Sadly, Mets are my one true sports love, they're really the only team I care about on a day-to-day basis, which isn't a great spot to be in.

...and I have no expectations going into 2021. Whatever Cohen and Alderson wanted to do was fine by me, because for the first time in my life, I trust the people they have there from the top down. Cohen's a bastard, but he demands results, so he's cool with me. So the signings are great, but no signings would have been fine too. A lot of work needs to be done.

Last edited:

Excess

Last season was the first season I was hoping my team lost (Yankees). What a pathetic display of what sports have become, empty seats, fake crowd noises, politics, etc. I didn't want the Yanks to win a World Series on the backdrop of an 80-some game season and an empty Yankee Stadium. I actually feel bad for the Dodgers.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last season was the first season I was hoping my team lost (Yankees). What a pathetic display of what sports have become, empty seats, fake crowd noises, politics, etc. I didn't want the Yanks to win a World Series on the backdrop of an 80-some game season and an empty Yankee Stadium. I actually feel bad for the Dodgers.
As a Red Sox fan, I felt the same way, I was almost glad my team sucked. I could not even muster watching a game due to all the things you mentioned as well.

Haven't got around to posting it until now but...

The Washington Nationals have agreed to terms with Kyle Schwarber

1 Year/$7 Million. Second year is a Mutual Option of $11 Million or a $3 Million Buyout

Checking up on some news...

Liam Hendriks signs with the White Sox. 3 Year/ $54 Million. Club Option for 4th Year. The buyout and Club Option is both worth $15 Million (Buyout is paid over 10 Years)

Fucktard Manfred has told teams to plan for 162 game season

Tatis Jr and Padres have discussed extension. No offer has been made yet tho

So where do we think Bauer is going to sign? Most likely he'll be wanting to go to a contender so you can cross off half the league. Next you got to think who needs pitching or has yet to make a splashy signing.

He apparently has beef with Gerrit Cole so I doubt he's going to the Yanks. This could be the one time I see the Jays landing a huge free agent as they're looking to win now and they could do a big 1-2 year contract. Over in the AL Central I'd say an Indians reunion is off the table as the Lindor/Carrasco trade signals a temporary reset. Possibly the Twins or White Sox, but those teams are built around mashing and I don't think Bauer would really help them. I don't see any AL West teams signing him, the Angels want him but I don't see them contending soon and will continue to waste Mike Trouts brilliant career.

In the NL East I think all the teams think they have a shot at contending, even Miami after their fluke season but I don't see them opening up the wallets yet. The Nats could sign him just to make sure they don't have to face him repeatedly in the East and have an even scarier rotation. A reunion in Cincinatti is definitely plausible, I don't see the Cards wanting to spend big bucks for Bauer. NL West Dodgers are always in on throwing some fuck you cash around but the Padres are definitely challenging them for top of the division.

My opinion I think he goes to San Diego, they have the money and they do need someone to plug the hole created by Clevinger going down. They could give him a 2 year contract as well and by that time his buddy Clevinger will be back and give them a chance to win together.

greyshark

Checking up on some news...

Liam Hendriks signs with the White Sox. 3 Year/ $54 Million. Club Option for 4th Year. The buyout and Club Option is both worth $15 Million (Buyout is paid over 10 Years)

Fucktard Manfred has told teams to plan for 162 game season

Tatis Jr and Padres have discussed extension. No offer has been made yet tho

I generally hate big money multi year deals for relievers, but fuck it - let’s do this. If our historically cheap owner is willing to spend let’s sign Bauer and go all in for 2021.

Theo Epstein signs with the... Uhhhhh.... Manfred???

Looks like Theo is taking up a role with MLB designed to address the game and proposed rule changes. This is very interesting to me. Theo is undoubtedly one of the greatest baseball minds of all time and a future HOFer. His expertise and ability to think critically might mean some drastic rule changes won't butcher the sport. I'm looking forward to seeing what solutions he'll come up with as they try to speed up the game.

Last edited:
I guess they aren't going to resign Tanaka then. Where do we think he lands?

I actually think he's a good fit for the Giants. Playing in a big ballpark will reduce the HR/9 and the rotation is definitely shaky. Seems to be an obvious fit unless he wants to go to a bonafide contender.

MC Safety

Just when you thought the New York Mess would not be the New York Mess...

MastAndo

Gold Member
We Mets fans just can't have nice things for very long.

I'm guessing he'll resign by noon tomorrow, by the way.

stn

I guess they aren't going to resign Tanaka then. Where do we think he lands?

I actually think he's a good fit for the Giants. Playing in a big ballpark will reduce the HR/9 and the rotation is definitely shaky. Seems to be an obvious fit unless he wants to go to a bonafide contender.
Apparently he's looking for 1yr/$15M, which I'd jump on if I'm Boston. More depth to deal with Sale's injury, and mid-season trade chip if they struggle like they probably will.

Springer to the Blue Jays - 6 years, $150 Million

Not gonna lie, this is super odd to me. Happy for him and all. Just feel that yearly money could be better spent.

I think the Jays just really wanted to sign a free agent at this point since they have the money for it. They couldn't get anyone else so they went for springer. Personally I would have tried to go after Bauer but they might still be looking into that.

I think the Jays just really wanted to sign a free agent at this point since they have the money for it. They couldn't get anyone else so they went for springer. Personally I would have tried to go after Bauer but they might still be looking into that.
I wonder if Bauer takes $150/6? I am interested to see what his market is.

I could understand if the Blue Jays were in the Central for example. But it seems hard to imagine them competing with the Top 8-10 teams in the league with that rotation.

MastAndo

Gold Member
I'll admit that I'm pretty bummed that Springer didn't sign with the Mets, just because I was salivating at the thought of adding him to an already pretty darn good lineup. It didn't seem realistic at the amount he was asking for, so I get it - Mets have bigger fish to fry with that money if there's any hope of staying under the luxury tax threshold in the upcoming seasons.

Then again, I heard they offered Springer 6/125, so I'm not sure how an extra $4M or so per year would have handcuffed them. I suppose you have to draw the line somewhere though.

MC Safety

Sandy Alderson spoke about the Jared Porter firing and revealed the woman in question's nationality. I guess this is a pretty big deal since she didn't want to be identified in any way. Even when doing the right thing, the Mess can't help but be the Mess.

I don't know if Alderson just misspoke or what. But internet sleuths are probably trying to track this woman down.

greyshark

Surprised Hand got that much - I thought any team in MLB could have taken him for $10M if they claimed him off waivers.

Can’t wait for the upcoming 2022 strike.

MLB would be stupid enough to strike during a time when the sports popularity is at a decline coming off two straight seasons which were hampered by a pandemic. RIP baseball you had a good run

Edit: I should mention I agree with the PA here. Universal DH you can go either way in and I change from day to day, but expanded playoffs is just plain dogshit. The Astros went 29-31 and almost made it to the world series this year. Do we really want teams with losing records potentially winning the whole thing?

Last edited:

No HOF inductees this year - I think Bonds and Clemens eventually get in.

Schilling should be in there too and keeping him out just because he's a jackass on twitter is an even bigger joke than leaving Bonds and Clemens out.

greyshark

Schilling should be in there too and keeping him out just because he's a jackass on twitter is an even bigger joke than leaving Bonds and Clemens out.

Agreed - his tantrums about removing his name from next years’ ballot isn’t helping. I’m not sure I’d vote him in as a veteran if he’s going to disrespect the process so openly. Disagree fine, but if they’re so full of shit then are the other selections valid?

Top Bottom