• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2020... again? : We'll do it live, F@#K IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyshark

White Sox fired Renteria today - same thing happened to him with the Cubs right before they won the WS. Wonder who they have in mind to replace him.

greyshark

Hahn said Renteria’s replacement likely will come from outside the White Sox. He would like someone who has worked for a championship organization, though major league managing experience is not necessarily a requirement.

“Recent October experience with a championship organization would be ideal, but we’re gonna keep an open mind,” Hahn said.

That list includes 2 candidates - Alex Cora and AJ Hinch. I guess I no longer have an issue with the Astros cheating scandal.

That list includes 2 candidates - Alex Cora and AJ Hinch. I guess I no longer have an issue with the Astros cheating scandal.
HeartfeltAnguishedIndianglassfish-max-1mb.gif

Rays upppp. Charlie Morton with 4 wins in winner take all playoff games. I still think rays beat the Astros last year if he didn’t have to pitch the wild card

Last edited:
I bet against the Stros tonight. I figured Morton would be clutch and if the Rays ended up losing it would be due to bullpen choking, which made it interesting for a bit.

I still take ATL tomorrow for whatever reason. Dodgers suck shit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Get yer asses to watch the game right now. Tied 6-6 in the 7th. Crazy game.

Baseball.

Most boring regular season sport. But awesome playoffs.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Holy shit crazy ending. Rays won 8-7 bottom of the 9th!

If you missed the game, watch the replays tonight.

Kenley Jansen and the Dodgers totally fucked up the 9th.

I don't follow baseball as much as I used to (when I did pools), but looking at Jansen's stats, his past 3 years are an ERA of 3.00 or more. Didn't know that. He was a solid 2.00-ish ERA for years. Looks past his prime.

Last edited:
Yeah I boycotted MLB after they cancelled games and won't be reupping MLB TV for at least another season, but I just saw the replay and legit feel sad I missed that happening live. We're going to see it for decades to come and if the Dodgers lose this to the Rays, it's going to be a Buckner situation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Matt Vasgersian and Buck Martinez have the biggest boner for Max Muncy. All playoffs, they've been hyping this guy at every at bat like he's the best player in the league.

Checking his stats, he's a pure power hitter. Lots f HR, strikeouts and bad batting avg. And if he's lucky he gets 2 SB a year. His regular season and playoffs stats are similar. Similar kind of player as Steve Balboni.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Close game 1-1.

Rays pitcher just tossed a wild pitch leading to LA scoring.

Edit: Now 2-1 Dodgers. Hi Sop Choi made a terrible throw home. Wasn't even close. Should had taken the easy out at first base.

Rays collapsing.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
Snell is a low inning starter. He usually maxes out at 5 innings. They don't trust him going longer.
I see. I don't agree though or really understand it, and it may have very well cost them the series. He's your ace and he was completely locked in with not even 75 pitches thrown. You gotta ride that out in that spot. Overmanaging is just a pet peeve of mine.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I see. I don't agree though or really understand it, and it may have very well cost them the series. He's your ace and he was completely locked in with not even 75 pitches thrown. You gotta ride that out in that spot. Overmanaging is just a pet peeve of mine.
Given the situation, I would have rode him out too. Keep him going if he's hot.

Overmanaging is definitely a baseball issue. The whole lefty batter/righty pitcher (and vice versa) is also an issue because not all batters bat better against an opposite throwing pitcher. But the going rate is late in the game pinch hitting you go with the opposite handed match up because that's an advantage.

Last edited:
The staff monitor so many things. Velocity, spin rate... and include communication with the catcher.

Have to wait until after the game to hear the explanation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sportnet guys were dumbfounded too why Snell was pulled as he looked good. And why replace him with Anderson who has been terrible.

Good point. Including today's game, Anderson has let in a run in 7 straight games.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sportnet guys were dumbfounded too why Snell was pulled as he looked good. And why replace him with Anderson who has been terrible.

Good point. Including today's game, Anderson has let in a run in 7 straight games.

Everyone is dumbfounded. Blake Snell was dominating with a low pitch count. Worst case scenario, he puts another batter on, which is what the relief pitcher did anyway. or gives up a home run and they are down 2-1, which happened anyway.

I have a degree in mathematics. I understand "the numbers" and "the data" but you. cannot. do. that. This is the game where "the data" lost a World Series.

Last edited:
Everyone is dumbfounded. Blake Snell was dominating with a low pitch count. Worst case scenario, he puts another batter on, which is what the relief pitcher did anyway. or gives up a home run and they are down 2-1, which happened anyway.

I have a degree in mathematics. I understand "the numbers" and "the data" but you. cannot. do. that. This is the game where "the data" lost a World Series.

Yeah there needs to be a balance between sabremetrics and actual managing. Something like bullpening is a prime example of why using numbers doesn't work. Sure, numbers say all your bullpen guys are great for one inning (that's why they are in the pen). But even the best starters can have a day where they don't have their stuff. The more pitchers you put in, the greater risk some of them are having an off day. On top of that, before bullpen guys came in once every few days. They could easily get overworked if called upon repeatedly. On paper it's a great idea, but anyone with a basic knowledge of baseball knows that this idea is dumb and doesn't work. I expect it to be around for the next few years until all the sabremetrics whizzes in the front offices make a ground breaking discovery that's it better to have a starters who can go 7 innings and then use 1-2 guys out of the pen.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yeah there needs to be a balance between sabremetrics and actual managing. Something like bullpening is a prime example of why using numbers doesn't work. Sure, numbers say all your bullpen guys are great for one inning (that's why they are in the pen). But even the best starters can have a day where they don't have their stuff. The more pitchers you put in, the greater risk some of them are having an off day. On top of that, before bullpen guys came in once every few days. They could easily get overworked if called upon repeatedly. On paper it's a great idea, but anyone with a basic knowledge of baseball knows that this idea is dumb and doesn't work. I expect it to be around for the next few years until all the sabremetrics whizzes in the front offices make a ground breaking discovery that's it better to have a starters who can go 7 innings and then use 1-2 guys out of the pen.

John Smoltz said it perfectly as it was happening - yea the data makes sense over the course of a season and dozens of appearances, but game 6 of the World Series is not that.

I remember when the Giants rode a tired, worn out Madison Baumgartner for five innings in game 7 of the 2014 WS, they won the title and he won MVP, that's what great players do. Blake Snell is a great player not a bunch of data in a spreadsheet. I'm all for good data but this stuff pisses me off.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

This reminds of the Jays/Orioles series 5 years ago but in the reverse way.

Everyone thought the Orioles coach would put in Zach Britton (who was an awesome closer or reliever) to come in early and hold the fort because there's no future games if Jays win.

Orioles coach didn't do it because he was planning on saving Britton for the 9th if Orioles came back.

Everyone grilled the coach too.

John Smoltz said it perfectly as it was happening - yea the data makes sense over the course of a season and dozens of appearances, but game 6 of the World Series is not that.

I remember when the Giants rode a tired, worn out Madison Baumgartner for five innings in game 7 of the 2014 WS, they won the title and he won MVP, that's what great players do. Blake Snell is a great player not a bunch of data in a spreadsheet. I'm all for good data but this stuff pisses me off.

Giants lose that WS if they didn't let Bum do his thing. 1 ER over 21 innings against KC. Statistics would have taken him out of there because they've seen him too many times/his pitch count is too high etc... Instead Bochy managed and let Bum throw and he turned in the greatest post season performance of all time. I'm convinced there is a happy balance between sabremetrics and an old school baseball mentality. You use the stats to increase your odds and keep things in your favor while not ignoring what successful teams have done over the past 100 years, that being having a manager who knows his players and knows how to utilize them.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Dodgers winning it all (Betts, payroll etc) makes sense, listening to fauci, I think fans will be back at minimal capacity spring 2021 they’re missing out on something like 500 million dollars spring 2021 with less fans seems realistic.

Not sure what to think about this one - can LaRussa be as effective as he once was? At least I can continue hating the Astros.

I couldn't find a reaction to your post so I don't know either.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Mets finally have a new owner! We are finally out of the Dolan “you can’t fire the owner” Zone! And the guy promises to spend money and turn the team into a modern ball club!

HOPE

I saw this last night - apparently Sox management knew about this and still made the hire. Our owner overrode the entire front office to make this decision, clearly against better judgement. Not the best way to start off the most promising season in 15 years.

Reimsdorf clearly does not give a shit

MastAndo

Gold Member

McNeil back at 2B and $24 million off the books? Sign me up! Things really coming up roses in Mets land. That trade went from a disaster to an abomination though.

EDIT: $20M . I forgot the Mariners are paying some of that ridiculous contract.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom