• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2019 |OT| Eat, Sleep, Baseball (Postseason not included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My offense has shit the bed since the second week of August. Good chance I get spanked by a team that isn't even being managed. Need some dongs and RBIs bad this week.

Posey just laid down the first sac bunt of his career. Honestly, I like it. Guy has been an automatic double play all season, I'll take one out and a RISP over a twin killing any day

GreatnessRD

What a tough one for the Brew crew with Yelich getting hurt. Only two games out of the WC, too? Tough!

And what's good with the MLB not showing the CLE vs. LAA game on MLB TV? I get that you have it streaming Live through Youtube, but I find it wild that if I'm a PAYING customern for MLB TV you're gonna tell me I gotta watch it exclusively on YouTube. Pretty crazy. These services and streaming subs are getting out of hand.

^^^^
Praising the sun about the youtube games. So stupid I have to watch it in a separate app. I know it's not the end of the world, but come on, if we are paying for the service why not make it available for us?

Not praising the sun about Yelich. That stinks. Both for the Brew crew and for him because he was putting together another MVP caliber season. Would have loved to see what he would have finished at stats-wise

prag16

Banned
Tough blow for Yelich and the Brewers. I can't see them hanging on after this. But the Mets still probably have too steep a hill to climb. The Cubs play STL a bunch of times still, but otherwise the schedule is soft. The Nats on the other hand have a tough schedule, and could collapse with that questionable bullpen. But 5.5 games is a lot with 18 to play. And the Mets bullpen is even worse outside of Lugo.

The plan: Starters go 7 or 8 every night, and Lugo cleans up, every day, until he blows out his arm. I'm holding out hope for no other reason than to be able to troll that "New York Mess" guy if he ever shows back up. I predict he'll show up just as soon as the Mets are officially eliminated, because that's how he rolls.

Last edited:

greyshark

GAF Fantasy Baseball Playoffs are here! A crazy finish to the season with Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese (Bear Backs), prag16 prag16 (Hilldawg), and R Rock And Roll (Steinbenner) all changing places seemingly hourly over the weekend, but when the dust settled Steinbenner's 8-1 victory was enough to propel him to 3rd in the league. Hilldawg at one point was up 10-0, but had to settle for a 7-2 victory. Good result but not enough to make the playoffs, he finishes 2 games behind Steinbenner and Bear Backs for the last spot.

On to the playoff matchups:

Greyshark Attack (18-3-2) vs. Bear Backs (14-9): Greyshark Attack defeated Bear Backs in both head to head matchups this year (10-0 and 6-4). Injuries have hit some of Greyshark Attack's most important players with the loss of Javier Baez and potentially Mookie Betts - the season long lucky streak of health appears to finally be at its end. Of course this matchup will be almost entirely decided by how well the Nationals do, as that's the entire Bear Backs team.

JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered Team (16-5-2) vs. Steinbenner (14-5-4): Jarebear's team (with its ever changing names) lost to Steinbenner 6-4 and tied 5-5 in their 2nd matchup. Jarebear has been on a tear since the All-Star break, not having lost since their first matchup with Steinbenner in Week 11. They have put together the strongest offense in the league, leading everyone in R/HR/RBI. Add in the fact that they are the most prolific streaming team in the league means they also have an advantage in the pitching counting stats. They are a force to be reckoned with and will be a tough out in the playoffs. Steinbenner boasts the best pitching staff in our league - leading in W, ERA, and WHIP, and 2nd in K's. Their offense has had to deal with injuries to their top draft picks this year, so the question will be can Steinbenner's pitching fend off Jarebear's potent offense?

Should be a fun playoffs - 4 good teams to duke it out for the GAF championship - good luck to all!

Not gonna lie I was watching the match up's a lot today. Barely managed to squeak through. I think my offense is turning the corner though so I feel pretty good about this.

MC Safety

The plan: Starters go 7 or 8 every night, and Lugo cleans up, every day, until he blows out his arm. I'm holding out hope for no other reason than to be able to troll that "New York Mess" guy if he ever shows back up. I predict he'll show up just as soon as the Mets are officially eliminated, because that's how he rolls.

Wrong again, just as you've been wrong about me trolling, or trying to be clever, or wanting to gain popularity among the fanatics. You've been wrong about it all, time and again. It's actually quite impressive how wrong you've been for so long.

You're also wrong about the Mess. The franchise is dysfunctional from the top down, and it's put an inferior product on the field. Maybe the agent-turned-GM will stop giving sweetheart deals to ex-clients or have the good sense not to barter away the future, but his first year has set a bad tone. I hope the Mess' make the wild card, but not as much as I want someone to clear out the rot and set the franchise straight.

You've misjudged my character, my intentions, my behaviors, and the New York Mess.

I'm just being honest, because that's how I roll.

prag16

Banned
Wrong again, just as you've been wrong about me trolling, or trying to be clever, or wanting to gain popularity among the fanatics. You've been wrong about it all, time and again. It's actually quite impressive how wrong you've been for so long.

You're also wrong about the Mess. The franchise is dysfunctional from the top down, and it's put an inferior product on the field. Maybe the agent-turned-GM will stop giving sweetheart deals to ex-clients or have the good sense not to barter away the future, but his first year has set a bad tone. I hope the Mess' make the wild card, but not as much as I want someone to clear out the rot and set the franchise straight.

You've misjudged my character, my intentions, my behaviors, and the New York Mess. Oh, and your trolling sucks. I had thought you were just stupid, but it turns out you are stupid and a dick.

I'm just being honest, because that's how I roll.
PracticalGrippingCanine-size_restricted.gif

greyshark

Trying to reverse jinx himself like a true gambler

Careful - his reverse jinxing game is strong. The last time he did it I had a 6-2 lead after Monday only to have my worst week of the season after his post.

Although part of me wonders if he really is legit triggered from seeing a guy he dropped homer against him :messenger_grinning_smiling:

prag16

Banned
For the 50th time this year, the Mets are dead. At this point they have to finish AT LEAST 9-2 to have any shot, and probably need to run the table to have a 'decent' shot. Oh well. It was a fun second half. I'd like to see them find a way to make it to that final Atlanta series still mathematically alive at least, but we'll see.

I just need the Cubs and Brewers to get them wildcard spots. Don't let me down, Meatballs!

Also, Mychal Givens is trash.
If the Mets can't catch up, which isn't looking good at this point, I'd be in favor of that. Screw the Nats. (That said, it would be amusing to see them lose yet another divisional series. The Dodgers would likely steamroll them.)

Last edited:
So many teams giving their fanbases blue balls this year with improbably good stretches of baseball. Giants, Mets, Dbacks, pretty much the entire NL central.

Man I hope the Twins take the all-time single season team HR record @ season's end. They currently have a 289-287 lead with a game in-hand. I love small-ball, strangely enough, but the fact that our competition is the Yankees with all their history, and just how much I hate them, it would be so satisfying to have that over them. Although with the way baseball is going, the record will be crushed again next year by August, lol.

Regardless, it's just going to be nice to have some post-season baseball to enjoy. (I hope I didn't jinx things. :p)

Congrats to Bruce Bochy on 2000 wins as a manager. HOF!!!

Also the Fenway faithful have been great this series. I know there's a lot of Giants fans out there, but the ovation they gave Yaz and the ovation they gave Bochy was pure class.

It's such an unbelievably stupid predicament. Owners think if they wait the FA out they'll get them at a discount but the player is going to be completely useless for the season. I don't care how many simulated games you play, joining a team halfway through the season while the rest of the league has been dialed in for 3+ months is not going to bring good results.

All eyes on Francisco Lindor

He needs to hit a dinger, or get a hit+stolen base+run scored for HeWhoMustNotBeNamed to advance. Otherwise Musky moves on to finals and looks damn near unbeatable next week with Nats loaded roster+Nats playing every day including a freakin' double header. Basically gets 8 days worth of at-bats I'll have a hard time filling 6.5 days worth. No possible way to match those at-bats as well as the quality quality starts of his staff

Will Lindor be the hero, or will the Mighty Nats (plus Ken Giles, Corey Seager, Trey Mancini, and Max Muncy) move on to a very likely inaugural NeoGAF Fantasy Baseball Championship?????

STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT

SMASH THAT LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE BUTTON

CAN YOU DIG IT????

And there it is! Congrats to Musky for winning Year One of NeoGAF Fantasy Baseball, a more worthy champ has never been seen. He persevered through some early adversity and managed his way to the top. Gold Trophy is his and his alone.

Jinx your way to victory you glorious rascal.

So apparently the Padres are kicking the idea of bringing back Bruce Bochy to San Diego as they just fired Andy Green. Maybe he's not done managing yet. If not, it is an ingenious way to get gifts (and expensive booze). Announce its your last year and get showered in gifts only to come back next season and say you still want to remain in the game.

Side note about Andy Green. I was at the Padres vs Jays game earlier this year when they got blown out. Up in the 500s (nosebleeds), everybody is getting drunk and being an asshole because we're all waiting for the Raps game to start. Anyway, the score is like 17 - 5 at this point in the top of the ninth inning. 2 outs, batter hits the ball and its a close play at first but even all the way up in the stands hammered AF we can see the runner is clearly safe. Ump calls him out because he, like the rest of us, wanted to go home. Then out of the dugout comes Andy fucking Green saying he wants to challenge it. I'm like lmfao wtf dude everyone knows he's safe, the game is over though and they want to wrap this shit up, why are you challenging this nonsense? Play gets overturned and another few minutes are mercilessly added to that shit show of a game.

I vowed to fight his ass in the parking lot if I saw him for wasting everyone's time. I didn't, but his firing makes me feel slightly better. Although it shouldn't, but I'm an ass so whatever.

greyshark

GAF Fantasy Baseball Semifinals are complete!

Greyshark Attack vs. Bear Backs: Story of my fantasy career, great regular season only to flame out in the playoffs. I checked and the last time my team hit less than 10 HRs was way back in Week 11. Could not overcome the late injuries to the squad (and one relief pitcher that turned out to be a pedo), and my ill-advised SP pickups cratered my ERA/WHIP for the week. Great job to the Nationals Bear Backs, and good luck in the finals Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese .

JareBear Team vs. Steinbenner ( R Rock And Roll ) Steinbenner never gave up after Jarebear surged to an early lead, but his team's final push could not quite overcome the outstanding performance from JareBear's pitching staff. Great weeks from both teams, but Jarebear heads to the final.

On to the championship!

Bear Backs vs. Jarebear team ( JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered ): Just like with the semifinal matchup, this will come down to how well the Nationals do. The Bear Backs have to overcome the loss of Ketel Marte and their other two non-Nationals are hurt as well in Trey Mancini and Max Muncy, both solid hitters. But none of it will matter if the Nationals can average 7+ runs a game over the week. And no amount of streaming will save you against a Nationals pitching staff that puts up a 2.00 ERA/1.00 WHIP as they have the talent to make happen as well. Should be interesting to see how Jare will strategize against it (other than the classic reverse jinx).

Good luck to both teams and hope you all ( prag16 prag16 , TrainedRage TrainedRage , DeepEnigma DeepEnigma , synchronicity synchronicity ) had fun this season, I know I did!

GreatnessRD

Good way to end the year at home for my O's. I went to the game on Saturday which we loss in extra, but got my free O's blanket so all wasn't lost. Just happy to see them bounce back the next day and take the series and end the final home game on a positive note. Sad the season is about to come to an end, but in spite of the constant gasoline baseball the O's played, I still enjoyed watching them nonetheless. Guess I'll root for the Dodgers just because I'd feel bad for them to lose 3 chips in a row, lol

TrainedRage

Banned
GAF Fantasy Baseball Semifinals are complete!

Greyshark Attack vs. Bear Backs: Story of my fantasy career, great regular season only to flame out in the playoffs. I checked and the last time my team hit less than 10 HRs was way back in Week 11. Could not overcome the late injuries to the squad (and one relief pitcher that turned out to be a pedo), and my ill-advised SP pickups cratered my ERA/WHIP for the week. Great job to the Nationals Bear Backs, and good luck in the finals Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese .

JareBear Team vs. Steinbenner ( R Rock And Roll ) Steinbenner never gave up after Jarebear surged to an early lead, but his team's final push could not quite overcome the outstanding performance from JareBear's pitching staff. Great weeks from both teams, but Jarebear heads to the final.

On to the championship!

Bear Backs vs. Jarebear team ( JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered ): Just like with the semifinal matchup, this will come down to how well the Nationals do. The Bear Backs have to overcome the loss of Ketel Marte and their other two non-Nationals are hurt as well in Trey Mancini and Max Muncy, both solid hitters. But none of it will matter if the Nationals can average 7+ runs a game over the week. And no amount of streaming will save you against a Nationals pitching staff that puts up a 2.00 ERA/1.00 WHIP as they have the talent to make happen as well. Should be interesting to see how Jare will strategize against it (other than the classic reverse jinx).

Good luck to both teams and hope you all ( prag16 prag16 , TrainedRage TrainedRage , DeepEnigma DeepEnigma , synchronicity synchronicity ) had fun this season, I know I did!
It was fun, even though I sucked. Started to get the hang of it a bit later in the season.

It was fun, even though I sucked. Started to get the hang of it a bit later in the season.

I hadn't played since 2016 so I was pretty rusty. Should be able to do much better next year.

In other news, Ned Yost has announced his retirement. Classy act and a great manager. I'm sure he's already on the shortlist for the Padres managerial position xd

Posey went deep at home for the first time since June of last year and who should go deep a few innings later but MADBUM.

Puts a smile on my disgruntled, Giants loving face.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Nice job by the Nats turning their season around and clinching that spot in the Wildcard game.

My Mets somehow keeping hope alive, but it's barely a sliver at this point. You know you're a fan of a pretty unfortunate franchise when you're actually kind of proud of a team that isn't going to make the playoffs. It's been nice watching meaningful baseball down the stretch. They had a hell of a second half run, and though they look to have fallen just short, they showed resiliency. Plus, I don't think they're all that many moves from possibly being VERY good next season, though fixing that bullpen is going to take some work.

Thabass

Guys...The Red Sox aren't in the playoffs and I have no idea what to do with myself. No heart attacks. No hopes. No dreams. Just death.

I'm not sure what to expect from my Twins come post-season. I think Baldelli is a good manager, and I think they've got as good a shot as anyone, but in a short series you're always a bit at the mercy of hot/cold streaks.

I feel like the Yanks and Twins are going to have to outslug their way to victory. They're going to end up facing some tough pitching in the form of the Astros (who can slug themselves) and whoever takes the WC (Rays, A's or Indians). NL looks ways worse in that regard because aside from the Dodgers and Nats starting rotation there's almost no intimidation factor in pitching.

King Felix had a nice sendoff in Seattle last night. Tossed a decent game, at least the A's didn't light him up. Hopefully he can turn things around somehow and leave on a higher note.

He's going to have to reinvent himself and his pitching philosophy if he wants to keep going. I'm sure injuries are playing a part but like most guys who threw smoke in their young days, they got to transition into a finesse/location guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom