• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2019 |OT| Eat, Sleep, Baseball (Postseason not included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m going to New York in September and plan on visiting a Mets game, but there’s one against the Phillies on Friday and another one on Saturday, does it matter which one to visit?

I’ve never been at a game before, so I have no idea. :)

If you aren't looking to buy tickets in advance, I'd try to go on a day where DeGrom or Syndergaard are pitching. Mets are out of it this year so getting tickets at the gate shouldn't be an issue.

Nyx

Thanks both, I’ll definitely go to a 7:10 PM game and will have a look at the line-up to see who is pitching.

GreatnessRD

I don't know what to feel about this Cashner trade from my Orioles. Is Cashner really just a 5th starter on most major league teams, lol?! Feels like a salary dump with some lotto ticket prospects. Hopefully, 4 years from now we're get a decent ROI with one of them. Sounds like Elio Prado is the better of the two.

I don't know what to feel about this Cashner trade from my Orioles. Is Cashner really just a 5th starter on most major league teams, lol?! Feels like a salary dump with some lotto ticket prospects. Hopefully, 4 years from now we're get a decent ROI with one of them. Sounds like Elio Prado is the better of the two.

100%. Orioles aren't doing anything meanful anytime soon. Cashner has only been good since the start of June too, could be a mini hit streak or could be for real. Not much was given up for him but given the current state of the O's I think a few prospects is better than nothing.

I moved recently and not planning to get cable. MLB.tv seems completely useless with the local live blackout trash.

If Manfred wants to grow the game he can start by getting rid of that nonsense. People can't enjoy the game if they can't watch their team. But no, let's instead experiment with letting the batter steal first. That'll bring the kids to the game

GreatnessRD

Yeah, that Blackout stuff is completely stupid. Like, I'm from Baltimore and recently went to ATL. I wanted to watch the Rangers vs. someone (Wasn't the Braves) and it was blacked out. I couldn't watch it on ESPN down there or on MLB.TV which I currently have. I couldn't believe it. I'm not even from the ATL and you had it blacked out for me. But I don't like Manfred anyway, he's a complete meatball.

Yeah, that Blackout stuff is completely stupid. Like, I'm from Baltimore and recently went to ATL. I wanted to watch the Rangers vs. someone (Wasn't the Braves) and it was blacked out. I couldn't watch it on ESPN down there or on MLB.TV which I currently have. I couldn't believe it. I'm not even from the ATL and you had it blacked out for me. But I don't like Manfred anyway, he's a complete meatball.
VPN!

GreatnessRD

Trade deadline is fast approaching. Any trades y'all hoping will happen? For me I hope the Orioles...

1. Trade Givens for a top 10 prospect in an organization and a lottery ticket prospect
2. Trade Mancini for a prospect

Shot in the dark Trade Dylan Bundy even though his stock is way down. I've been done with that project.

Trade deadline is fast approaching. Any trades y'all hoping will happen? For me I hope the Orioles...

1. Trade Givens for a top 10 prospect in an organization and a lottery ticket prospect
2. Trade Mancini for a prospect

Shot in the dark Trade Dylan Bundy even though his stock is way down. I've been done with that project.

My Giants are in an odd spot right now. They've been red hot since June and are now 2 games under .500 and 2.5 out of a crowded wild card spot. I don't think Farhan should be a buyer, but if the team keeps winning, selling Bumgarner, Will Smith and others is going to piss off the entire fanbase.

He's probably fielding offers right now so if the team goes back to sucking he's got potential packages lined up.

In sadder news, we somehow missed that Jim Boulton has passed away. Jim wrote one of the greatest baseball books ever, Ball Four. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend checking it out.

Mike Leake has a perfect game going through 7 against the Angels. Pitch count below 70 at the moment, I believe.

Edit

Perfect thru eight

Edit

Leadoff single to open the 9th breaks up the perfecto

Last edited:
Does anyone here believe in miracles? Perhaps something divine? What about magic? Sorcery? The dark arts? Witchcraft? Magicks? Anyone here down with any of the aforementioned phenomenon that can not be explained by modern science? Let's talk about the Giants.

2010, the Giants win their first championship since relocating to San Francisco, an event 52 years in the making. A hex had been placed upon them after leaving New York, the Curse of Coogan's Bluff. They were not favourites to win it all, yet somehow, they did. The hex was broken. Taylor Swift released Speak Now, which miraculously sold in the age of declining revenue across the music industry.

2012, once again, the Giants find themselves in the playoffs. Once again, not favourites to win, in fact they faced elimination against both the Reds (down 2 - 0 before rallying) and the Cards (down 3 - 1). They swept the Tigers in the World Series to the surprise of the baseball world. The Giants had somehow won another world series. Taylor Swift released her new album, Red, which did significantly better than Speak Now in terms of chart performance and sales.

2014 the Giants manage to sneak into a wild card spot. Everyone is getting older and there are far too many questions with the roster for this team to seriously make a push for another championship. Then Madison Bumgarner did things. Giants win. They are now a dynasty and have cemented themselves in baseball history as one of the all time great teams. Taylor Swift released 1989, considered to be her magnum opus, propelling her to heights of stardom thought unattainable.

February 2016 Kanye West released The Life of Pablo, his new record on which he asserts that he and Taylor Swift "might have sex" because he "made that bitch famous". The world is shocked and angered at Kanye for continuously provoking and demeaning this poor, innocent white southern belle who never did anything to anyone. Taylor takes the high road and let's the world know not to let disgusting, male pigs take credit for your hard work and perseverance. Kanye tells the world he ran the lyric by Taylor who consented to it and loved it, yet Queen Taylor denies such an encounter ever took place. Why would she let something so vile be said about her? Everyone expects the Giants to win the World Series because it's an even year and even year magic is now a thing. Giants are cruising through the first half of the season with the best record in baseball heading into the all star break.

Kim Kardashian released a series of videos in mid July on snapchat, in which Kanye is speaking with Taylor over the phone about the inclusion of the infamous lyric. She (or someone who sounds a lot like her) agrees to the lyric and thanks Kanye for being gentlemanly enough to run it by her before including it on an album. She thanks him for his friendship. The internet turns on Taylor. She is branded a lying, duplicitous wench who twisted an old narrative to further portray herself as a victim with Kanye as an evil tormentor who relentlessly mocks and belittles her. She is branded a snake and memes and snake emojis flood the internet. Suddenly, the Giants start losing. They give up their decisive lead in the division and eventually settle for a wildcard. There is still hope for the Giants to pull off a win. They lose to buttfucking Cubs with the bullpen giving up 4 runs in the ninth. The dream is dead. Taylor Swift has been cancelled, publicly humiliated, presumably never to be heard from again.

2017 the Giants escape a 100 loss season, one of the worst seasons in San Francisco history. How did this team fall so far so quickly? The dynasty looked to be a shell of it's former self, with comparisons to the Phillies being made by every uneducated dumbfuck sports analyst who clearly don't watch baseball and just report on it because it's their job. The Dodgers continue to play untouchable baseball. In fact they are in the world series this year for the first time since 88. Taylor Swift returns with a new bad girl image. "Look What You Made Me Do" she snarls on her lead single off her new album, Reputation. She gnashes her teeth and scathingly calls out all of those for attempting to assassinate her character through falsehoods and blatantly untrue retellings of the truth. The public doesn't buy it, her album tanks and the Queen is dead. Dodgers lose game 7 of the World Series at home to Houston, a fatal blow to the pride of Californians everywhere. Beaten by Texans, how degrading.

2019 Bruce Bochy announces this will be his last year. Madison Bumgarner is a free agent by the end of the year. Buster Posey is returning from hip surgery. If the team gets off to a good start, maybe just maybe, they can make one last playoff push and send Bochy off a winner. The dream is dead by the end of May, as the team is hot garbage. Bumgarner will definitely be traded along with other key bullpen members. Posey is 2 months into the season and barely batting .200. He'll never be the same after this surgery. It's June and the team is 12 games under .500

Taylor Swift announces that she has lost her masters and publishing, a critical blow to her as an artist. She is at the mercy of evil white males who now control her most profitable era. She takes the high road and announces her new album, Lover, to be coming out later in the year. Make love, not war. The Giants start winning. Something has changed but no one can put a finger on it. The team is now above .500 and 2 games back of a wild card spot. Bumgarner and others are no longer on the table for trades, in fact it looks like the team is currently untouchable in trade talks. Could they be making a final push for Bochy? No, that's impossible... It's not an even year.

Some weird shit going on with Tampa Bay and Boston.

Tampa brought in a lefty to face a lefty, then a righty to face Betts but left the lefty in the game at 1B for that AB, then after Betts they moved the lefty back to the mount from 1st and brought in an actual infielder at 1st. There's' been like a 15 minute delay as the umps are trying to figure something out. I don't know what the initial question was over but my guess is it was about what the batting order was going to look like for Tampa after that maneuvering. Angel Hernandez had to get on the headset to get a clarification and everything.

Edit

Now Boston is playing rest of game under protest. I guess they didn't agree with whatever ended up being decided.

Cora still out arguing something. There's' been one pitch thrown in the last 20 minutes and counting.

Last edited:
A few notes from around the league today...

Troy Tulowitzki has announced his retirement. Only can imagine how great this guy could have been if he stayed healthy. He still had a great career regardless, but who knows what he could have achieved without all the injuries.

On the note of injuries, Blake Snell is going to miss 4 weeks (possibly more) for elbow surgery. Does not bode well for the Rays who are desperately fighting for a wild card spot.

Also, Joey Gallo is going to be out for 4 weeks for a surgery. Probably wasn't going to be dealt anyway but that's a potential trade chip for Texas gone.

In my two other fantasy leagues I’m getting absolutely ravaged by injuries right now.

One league I was running away with first, other league I am in second just one game back and facing the top team this week but just so many injuries the last 72 hours for both my rosters. Ouch

I was watching this game live (for fantasy reasons, my boy Soler) and this shit made my day

Dude, am I the only one impressed with that rocket he sent over the center field fence? That ball went 385+ feet apparently and was sizzling. Probably the best throw he made all day.

Also, the "Angel Hernandez called it a strike" jokes on Twitter are gold.

MastAndo

Gold Member
So the Mets go out and acquire Stroman?...I'm not exactly ready to throw myself off of a bridge with other Mets fans for giving up "the future" in Kay and Woods-Richardson, and on paper it's a seemingly fair trade, but I don't really get the move at this point. I sincerely hope the front office isn't under the delusion that they're making a wild card run this season.

Van Wagenen does have a set of balls on him though for parting with more top prospects after the Cano/Diaz trade debacle he pulled off in the off-season.

Plus, I wouldn't put it past the Mets FO to be petty enough to acquire Stroman just so a rival (namely, the Yankees) could not acquire him...but if the move is intended to drive up the market value of Syndergaard and/or Wheeler and Van Wagenen is playing some 4D chess and they end up getting a haul for a trade involving either of them, then yeah, I'll be impressed.

Last edited:
I feel bad for Stroman. You know you're getting traded all year so you're getting amped to play for a team that is going to have a post season run and get traded to a team that's out of it? How the hell does that happen? Brodie is out of his mind

I watched it like 10x already, hilarious

"Hey blue, blue *whispers* im gonna fight them! im gonna fight them *stops whispering* alright getta outta here."

"This is the Chris Archer Story, which is a sad tale folks, a sad tale."

"He's like Eminem in that scene from 8 Mile"

"Lookin like Jon Stewart's angry baseball brother."

I think the real X-factor behind the whole thing is that Puig had literally just been traded

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Braves' bullpen LMAO

Edit

Well at least they just got Shane Greene

And Melancon from the Giants as well, on top of Martin from Texas yesterday. That should go a long way to shoring up the bullpen. I just hope we didn't give up too many prospects for Greene or Melancon. We need to fix the bullpen, but we're a young, in-experienced team with a ton of young talent in the minors. I don't want to mortgage the future in a year we're a long shot to get past the Dodgers and all their post season experience. We're set up well to contend for a decade plus if we trust the process, let the youth develop and teams like the Dodgers age and start trading away people once we know exactly what we have and which prospects are expendable.

In any case, bull pen scares aside great week or so with taking 2 of 3 at Philly and then 2 of 3 at the Nats to go back up 6.5 games in the division!

I imagine Greene was expensive but I don’t know any details, and yeah Martin and Melancon are nice pieces.

I just couldn’t help but laugh at leads evaporating the last two nights, but yeah I realize they won both games.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet, the Braves didn't give up all that many prospects to get Greene/Melancon/Martin. Just three of their top 30 prospects (7, 10 and 17 and none were crucial as we have young depth in all three spots).

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Pride

Banned
I don't know if it's analytical or what but the Astros seem to unlock and maximize the pitchers they get more than anyone else. Greinke will be an excellent addition. We paid the price in prospects though we didn't give up either of our top 2 and the D backs are eating some salary for those prospects so I'm okay with it.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's analytical or what but the Astros seem to unlock and maximize the pitchers they get more than anyone else. Greinke will be an excellent addition. We paid the price in prospects though we didn't give up either of our top 2 and the D backs are eating some salary for those prospects so I'm okay with it.

Astros M.O. seems to be draft hitters and trade for pitchers. So much offensive homegrown talent but not on the pitching side. They're definitely sitting on some pretty advanced stuff if they can take already great pitchers and seemingly help them reach another level. Keep in mind they added Sanchez and Biagini from the Jays too. They really upgraded their pitching today.

Anyway I like what Farhan did with the Giants today. There's so much pitching depth especially with the bullpen. Trade away some of the older guys (Melancon, Pomeranz, Dyson) and keep Moronta, Coonrod, Watson etc... Plus I don't trust Dyson in the playoffs after Joey Bats publically deballed him with that flip. Back on topic it's a good way to get some prospects out of this season and help rebuild the system a bit. Team does not look any worse after today and kept the big names to see if they got one last magical run in them for Bochy.

Pretty wild trade deadline though, I'm still catching up on everything. It seemed like it might have been tame but a ton of deals went down today

Who woulda thought they'd be better off with Luke Jackson.

I kid, I kid.

Greene will be fine, this happens. Been an interesting season for the Atlanta bullpen, for sure.

Greene hasn't recorded a save since June 29th and has blown 4 saves since then. Completely worthless piece of shit on my roster doing fuck all except raising my ERA and WHIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom