• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2019 |OT| Eat, Sleep, Baseball (Postseason not included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2r079o.gif

This game never stops! As soon as the season ends, another begins.

Offseason for free agent signings and adjustments to your roster. Coming to terms with player who are arbitration eligible.

Spring Training to get ready for the season and further fine tuning of a teams roster.

Regular Season The 162. Determining who will be Playoff eligible.

Post Season To determine who is the champions for the season.

And immediately the Offseason starts again. Whats not to love?

This is the greatest invention of the human race. Baseball > The Wheel.

This OT will serve us for The Offseason, Spring Training, and the Regular Season. Post Season will get its own OT.

And boy do we have a lot to talk about. This free agent class is a big one, with 2 of the best in the game (Harper and Machado) looking to secure huge contracts. And many others waiting to see how high they push it to secure their own.

Huge players looking to be traded and teams determining that perhaps giving prospects for MLB ready players is a better strategy than giving huge contracts to free agents.

Pitchers and Catchers report in a month!!!

Let's talk Baseball NeoGAF, because this game never stops.

The 3 BIG names I expect to see news on soon...
1. Bryce Harper
2. Manny Machado
3. Corey Kluber

For Baseball news

https://twitter.com/dougherty_jesse Washington Nationals Reporter

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman Jon Heyman

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com MLB Trade Rumors

Last edited:
Reserved for Current MLB News

Harper to Philly

Arenado and Rockies agree to extension

Machado to Padres

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Let's go Red Sox :messenger_clapping:..:messenger_clapping:..:messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping:..:messenger_clapping:

That reminds me, I need to create my Road to the Show player in The Show to get the rest of the trophies to Plat it.

I used to just strictly just play that mode, but now I play it more in the offseason and Season/Chise during regular.

On topic, looking forward to some of the moves pre or going into ST. Especially which team signs that diva, Machado.

Last edited:
Let's go Red Sox :messenger_clapping:..:messenger_clapping:..:messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping:..:messenger_clapping:

That reminds me, I need to create my Road to the Show player in The Show to get the rest of the trophies to Plat it.

I used to just strictly just play that mode, but now I play it more in the offseason and Season/Chise during regular.

On topic, looking forward to some of the moves pre-ST. Especially which gets that diva, Machado.
I've heard they are moving on from Kimbrel. Is their replacement already in house?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've heard they are moving on from Kimbrel. Is their replacement already in house?

Nothing so far other than Dombrowski saying that they're not looking for high expenditure on a closer.

Last I heard about Kimbrel yesterday was that they could possibly sign him to a one-year deal believe it or not. Teams are being more cautious now with long term contracts, and short term high year ($25-$30+ mil/year) due to luxury caps. The baseball economy is changing a bit as it should. More PED monitoring equals longer injury stints for long term contract weariness is one reason my guess.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
Die-hard Mets fan here - I'm really excited about the moves that have been made thus far, though I'd like to see them make a move for another starter and bullpen help. I'm not entirely happy about the potential for one of Lagares or Broxton to be starting in CF, but I am holding out hope that they can dump Frazier's and perhaps Lagares's contract (at least partially) and maybe snag Pollack on a 2-year deal - though I know he wants more so it's not likely. If not, I'd like to see how McNeil fares in the outfield during spring training. It would be a shame to not have his bat in the lineup as often as possible, given what he did last season.

Still, it's always fun going into the season with some hope., and that doesn't always happen in Mets land. The NL East is looking pretty stacked though, so it should be interesting...

Nothing so far other than Dombrowski saying that they're not looking for high expenditure on a closer.

Last I heard about Kimbrel yesterday was that they could possibly sign him to a one-year deal believe it or not. Teams are being more cautious now with long term contracts, and short term high year ($25-$30+ mil/year) due to luxury caps. The baseball economy is changing a bit as it should. More PED monitoring equals longer injury stints for long term contract weariness is one reason my guess.
Makes sense. I heard he was originally looking for a 6 year deal... YIKES

Die-hard Mets fan here
giphy.gif

JK :pie_roffles:

Die-hard Mets fan here - I'm really excited about the moves that have been made thus far, though I'd like to see them make a move for another starter and bullpen help. I'm not entirely happy about the potential for one of Lagares or Broxton to be starting in CF, but I am holding out hope that they can dump Frazier's and perhaps Lagares's contract (at least partially) and maybe snag Pollack on a 2-year deal - though I know he wants more so it's not likely. If not, I'd like to see how McNeil fares in the outfield during spring training. It would be a shame to not have his bat in the lineup as often as possible, given what he did last season.

Still, it's always fun going into the season with some hope., and that doesn't always happen in Mets land. The NL East is looking pretty stacked though, so it should be interesting...
I was jealous of them signing Jeb. I wanted my Nats to sign Jeb.

dorkimoe

Cub fan checking in. Needed the giants to take heyward so we could get Harper.
I’m scared as fuck come 2020/2021 when half our team is free agents :( Can’t lose this core

Last edited:
Cub fan checking in. Needed the giants to take heyward so we could get Harper.
I’m scared as fuck come 2020/2021 when half our team is free agents :( Can’t lose this core

Giants fan here and the last thing we need is another long term contract with an underperforming player.

Great OT! Can't wait for the season to start. Harper and Machado not wanting to sign in Philly despite being offered the most money is hilarious.

dorkimoe

Giants fan here and the last thing we need is another long term contract with an underperforming player.

Great OT! Can't wait for the season to start. Harper and Machado not wanting to sign in Philly despite being offered the most money is hilarious.
Same thing happened to the cardinals which is hilarious to me. I believe it was Lackey and Heyward took less to come to Chicago.

Red Sox fan reporting in (sorry guys). The MLB offseason sucks so much, I get it and somewhat appreciate that teams are being smarter with money, but geez at least move the draft to somewhere around this time. The last thing that happened that I can remember was the Sox bringing back Eovaldi. The NBA and NFL are year long things, the MLB just forces you to forget about baseball until ST.

Red Sox fan reporting in (sorry guys). The MLB offseason sucks so much, I get it and somewhat appreciate that teams are being smarter with money, but geez at least move the draft to somewhere around this time. The last thing that happened that I can remember was the Sox bringing back Eovaldi. The NBA and NFL are year long things, the MLB just forces you to forget about baseball until ST.
Well. We go in circles don’t we based on how teams are winning in recent years.

And the majority of teams winning over the last 10 years aren’t doing so by making huge FA contracts. It’s done thru growing talent and making a big trade mid year if teams feel they are making a run.

It’s not surprising to me at all to see FA like it has been the last few seasons.

Well. We go in circles don’t we based on how teams are winning in recent years.

And the majority of teams winning over the last 10 years aren’t doing so by making huge FA contracts. It’s done thru growing talent and making a big trade mid year if teams feel they are making a run.

It’s not surprising to me at all to see FA like it has been the last few seasons.

Yeah agreed, long term contracts for declining players are bad for teams and I'm glad they're avoiding that. I'd like to see some compromise between the MLBPA and the owners though, something like less arbitration years and a minimum salary threshold of sorts based around the team's revenue but with partially unguaranteed contracts as a counterpoint. And the draft should be around now as well.

Yeah agreed, long term contracts for declining players are bad for teams and I'm glad they're avoiding that. I'd like to see some compromise between the MLBPA and the owners though, something like less arbitration years and a minimum salary threshold of sorts based around the team's revenue but with partially unguaranteed contracts as a counterpoint. And the draft should be around now as well.
Absolutely agree with you.

The current setup doesn't seem ideal for the majority of player imo.

Phillies "optimistic" they will sign either Harper or Machado http://www.philly.com/phillies/bryc...ter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

Very strange wording imo. Not the optimistic part... they have a lot of money to spend even if they have to over spend to get one of them there.

But the "The Phillies are going to be finalists for both Harper and Machado." makes me scratch my head a bit because... they already are.

Even if there is a mystery team or 2 for either player, it is rumored that neither player has more than 3 or 4 teams interested. So of course the Phillies are going to be finalist. They already are exactly that.

Harper has the interest of Dodgers, Cubs, Phillies, Nationals, and White Sox. And can you really consider the Cubs as a real destination right now? The White Sox and Dodgers aren't willing to go more than 7 years.

Machado has even less interest. Supposedly The Yankees are out which seems likely since the signed Lemahieu. The Phillies and White Sox seem to be the only 2 teams that are interested.

Keep in mind that "interested" means willing to give these players somewhere near the contract they are looking for.

But who knows. Greinke to Arizona was out of no where.

I honestly believe Machado's antics greatly impacted his market. Being an obnoxious player who gets under the other teams skin is one thing; going out of your way to intentionally injure players is another. That and coupled with his "not Johnny hussle", pimping homeruns that turn out to be doubles yet managing to end up on first, I doubt there's a lot of teams out there who want that level of stupidity.

A player as talented and as young as him should have had no trouble landing a long term deal even with the current trends in FA. The lack of interest is baffling.

Bob Nightengal is now saying that Phillies are clear cut favorites to land Harper

FYI some of the details contradict other well known sources. Such as A) The Nationals haven't been in contact with Harper in a month and B) they won't offer more than 25 million a year.

Last edited:
Have you guys followed the Kyler Murray story? Sounds like he wants the A’s to pay him 15 million to not play in the NFL instead.

From what I read it sounds like in order to pay him that, they would have to place him on the 40 man roster despite probably not calling him up for years.

Not sure I remember a situation in recent history where a player commanded such clout in two pro leagues (it’s possible he’ll be first QB drafted).

Also, sounds like A’s wouldn’t get a compensatory pick if Murray goes NFL, though he would have to return the 4 million signing bonus they paid him.

That’s my understanding of the situation, anyway

Last edited:
Have you guys followed the Kyler Murray story? Sounds like he wants the A’s to pay him 15 million to not play in the NFL instead.

From what I read it sounds like in order to pay him that, they would have to place him on the 40 man roster despite probably not calling him up for years.

Not sure I remember a situation in recent history where a player commanded such clout in two pro leagues (it’s possible he’ll be first QB drafted).

Also, sounds like A’s wouldn’t get a compensatory pick if Murray goes NFL, though he would have to return the 4 million signing bonus they paid him.

That’s my understanding of the situation, anyway
Certainly is a fascinating story.

I can't blame anyone (Players Union or otherwise) for not having planed on a situation like this.

In other news lol

Last edited:
I don’t blame Murray. It’s a business and he’s playing a business move. Curious how it turns out.

Also, regarding Machado and Harper.....

I get these guys are stars, I get they are gonna make insane-o money, but do either of these guys scream “Championship Material,” honestly?

I don’t blame Murray. It’s a business and he’s playing a business move. Curious how it turns out.

Also, regarding Machado and Harper.....

I get these guys are stars, I get they are gonna make insane-o money, but do either of these guys scream “Championship Material,” honestly?
For 2019, would you win more games giving $30 million to
A) Harper
B) Machado
C) Kimbrel

The answer is C

I’ve spent the last 7 years watching Harper. I probably watch 150 Nats games a year minimum.

But I am more than ok with my Nats OF being Soto, Robles, Eaton to start the season.

Machado supposedly has a 7/175 ($25 a year) offer from the White Sox.

Obviously the market isn't as high as some thought it would be.

Machado supposedly has a 7/175 ($25 a year) offer from the White Sox.

Obviously the market isn't as high as some thought it would be.

I’m honestly not surprised. Both these guys have been part of talented teams (in certain seasons, maybe not for the entirety of time in Baltimore/Washington but each were part of multiple playoff runs and neither have been particularly impactful in playoffs, from what I remember). Machado has temper tantrums and Harper seems like he’s always dealing with some minor injury of any sort.

Both great players but I don’t look at either guy like “ok NOW we are winning the series.”

Cinci must be pretty confident they can fix whatever is wrong with Gray if they want to immediately extend him. He'd be going to an even more pitcher unfriendly park

Cinci must be pretty confident they can fix whatever is wrong with Gray if they want to immediately extend him. He'd be going to an even more pitcher unfriendly park
Depends on the price.

Guys throwing above a 4 ERA are getting more than 10 mill a year. If you could get Gray for 12 a year...

I honestly thought Bonds would get it this year after Wille Mays said vote him in at his ceremony. I would say the usual about the voters being a bunch of goddamn idiots but surprisingly they voted in Mussina, who has long deserved it. The writers logic of not voting for players because of roids but then keeping Moose out because his numbers weren't good enough was baffling. Dude was one of the few pitchers who was able to navigate the roided out Majors. Congrats, long overdue.

Also happy and sad to see Doc go in. I have lived in Toronto for most of my life and got to see many Halladay starts, the only good thing about Jays baseball at the start of the millennium. We were definitely spoiled by him and he was a no doubt HOFer in my opinion. Really sad he isn't with us to enjoy it.

Congrats to Mo and Martinez as well

Well another insanely slow day has got me thinking, what is the solution to the current free agent problem? If this keeps up, I guarantee MLB is looking at a lockout. No one wants to give out lengthy overpaid contracts to aging vets which is understandable. But players getting paid less while the owners reap the benefits is a way worse proposal to me.

Some might think making arbitration year pay outs higher is a good idea, while it sounds good on paper and probably will happen, the success of small market teams has been based around drafting smart and controlling their young players. A team like the Royal's could have never won the world series if they had to pay Hosmer, Moose, Cain, Salvy etc... What they were worth at the time.

What do you think GAF?

It’s supposedly been leaked that Bryce Harper is going to sign with Philly.

However, no major publications or reporters are even mentioning it.

So idk if it’s true

It’s supposedly been leaked that Bryce Harper is going to sign with Philly.

However, no major publications or reporters are even mentioning it.

So idk if it’s true

Hmmmm. Interesting.

I didn’t watch much of the Phillies last season but record wise it looks like they at least improved, or have been improving.

I miss the Howard - Utley - Rollins, Phillies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom