• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MIT: Climate change could make South Asia too hot for human survival by 2100

Oersted

If climate change continues at its current pace, deadly heatwaves could make large parts of South Asia too hot for human survival by the end of the century, researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) warned on Wednesday.

"The most intense hazard from extreme future heat waves is concentrated around the densely populated agricultural regions of the Ganges and Indus river basins," wrote the authors of the study. Up to 1.5 billion could see their hometowns become impossible to live in.

ccording to climate scientists, humans can survive a wet-bulb temperature of about 35 degrees Celsius (95 degrees Fahrenheit), while anything beyond could cause the body to have difficulty sweating to cool down. Such a phenomenon could lead to heat stroke or even death within just a few hours.

Putting the research findings into perspective, wet bulb temperatures have so far rarely exceeded the already hazardous level 31 degrees Celsius.

It is hard to imagine conditions that are too hot for people to survive for a more than a few minutes, but that is exactly what is being discussed in this paper," Chris Field, a Stanford University climate scientist who was not involved in the study, told the Associated Press news agency. "And of course, the danger threshold for punishing heat and humidity is lower for people who are ill or elderly."

More here

http://p.dw.com/p/2hbV9

Lock if old

BY2K

Membero Americo
Pretty sure we'll have come up with a solution by then.

This feels a bit clickbaity/sensationalist.

EDIT: I mean I fucking hope at least...

Lamel

Banned
The population of that area combined with the amount of agriculture there is...could truly be disastrous.

They don't have AC?

Ummm it gets a lot hotter than this right now in lots of places....

This is a wet bulb temperature, not dry air. Your body cools itself by sweating and evaporation into the air but at high humidity this can't happen because the air is saturated so you just die.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I am surprised everyday how we tolerate the heat here anyway. In summers Mumbai is nothing but an inferno. 40 degree Celsius with incredible humidity makes life living hell. In North India temperatures go up to 50 degree Celsius (though lesser humidity). No idea how we will live when Mumbai starts touching 45 on a regular basis.

They don't have AC?

We do. A lot of us have. I couldn't imagine living without AC in mumbai. I have no idea how so many people do.

My closet tinfoil hat conspiracy theory of choice is that the powers that be in the US all accept climate change, but some think the US will be hurt less than other emerging superpowers by it and thus be able to leverage it into continued global hegemony.

I have no evidence to back up this theory. They are probably just stupid.
Yeah. But it won't.

But I guess that wouldn't bring in the views.
It will go faster, so you're technically correct

Arttemis

Yeah. But it won't.

But I guess that wouldn't bring in the views.

image.php

Oersted

Unlike previous climate change and temperature projections, the MIT study also looked at humidity and the body's ability to cool down, as well as heat levels. The three factors make up what's called a "wet-bulb temperature," which is measured by recording the temperature of the air when a wet cloth is wrapped around the thermometer. Climate scientists use this measurement to estimate how easily water can evaporate.

2100 sounds late i was thinking earlier 😓

A heatwave in 2015 already killed 3500.

Humans seriously need to reduce reproduction because Climate Refugees fleeing the most will be from already Over-Populated areas

Thanks all you republican flilipinos. All your talk of family and Catholic-indocrinated values were a death sentence on those you loved.

Brakke

Banned

The claim is not "if a wall thermometer ever says 95, people die.", but rather,

Unlike previous climate change and temperature projections, the MIT study also looked at humidity and the body's ability to cool down, as well as heat levels. The three factors make up what's called a "wet-bulb temperature," which is measured by recording the temperature of the air when a wet cloth is wrapped around the thermometer. Climate scientists use this measurement to estimate how easily water can evaporate.

According to climate scientists, humans can survive a wet-bulb temperature of about 35 degrees Celsius (95 degrees Fahrenheit), while anything beyond could cause the body to have difficulty sweating to cool down. Such a phenomenon could lead to heat stroke or even death within just a few hours.

Putting the research findings into perspective, wet bulb temperatures have so far rarely exceeded the already hazardous level 31 degrees Celsius.

So it's about humidity too. Also when heat waves happen in those "lots of places", people do have heat strokes and die if they get dehydrated or don't have access to climate control.

A heatwave in 2015 already killed 3500.

If anything, maybe that's a sign that our reckless behavior will become self-limiting. Not that I wish death on anyone or want that to happen, but it seems like the potential exists for the year 2080 to roll around and we're dying left and right from famine, heat stroke, floods, tsunamis, etc.

I'm not talking about fertility rates, I'm talking about the lack of contraception and sex education where reproduction is too high

Huh? What do you think fertility rates are? And demographic transition is what reduces the amount of children people have more than all of the above. Government attempts to meddle with fertility rates have a long history of being ineffective.

Large parts of southern Europe have been record temperatures this year as well. Parts of Italy/Sardinia have been getting into the 40 degrees. Spain and Portugal reached those heights a few weeks back too.

Neo C.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: We need geo-engineering on a massive scale, and it really should start very soon.

Over the past year I've been meditating on my mortality and this has been a big part of it.

Needless to say, I'm scared shitless. I just wish there was something I could do.

If climate change continues at its current pace, deadly heatwaves could make large parts of South Asia too hot for human survival by the end of the century, researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) warned on Wednesday.

lots of maybes in there

to get to "Climate change could make South Asia too hot for human survival"

My closet tinfoil hat conspiracy theory of choice is that the powers that be in the US all accept climate change, but some think the US will be hurt less than other emerging superpowers by it and thus be able to leverage it into continued global hegemony.

I have no evidence to back up this theory. They are probably just stupid.

It will go faster, so you're technically correct

Current Paris accord climate change policy is essentially a wealth transfer - rich western countries pay into a fund, that is currently slotted at $10 billion dollars raised (total) but the expectation is that the fund would grow to $100 billion, ANNUAL contributions within the next 30 years. Western countries pay in, poorer countries get funds distributed from the fund to ?? do something about climate change in their country ?? Historically, wealth distributions like this have simply gone to line the pockets of the corrupt, and not truly helped the people in the countries affected.

The problem is simply this: Western countries climate impact is really based on the things we buy now, not pollutants we create in our own countries. Sure, driving cars in America or garbage recycling in Europe may be a minor problem, but it is insignificant compared to the steel created in India and China for goods sold in USA/Europe, the electronics created in China sold worldwide with minerals mined from Africa, the meat, chicken, and vegetable industries in South America we are the consumers of, etc.

That itself is also a trivial problem compared to the fact that there are ~600m "middle class" westerners, and around 500m currently in Asia which can grow to over 1.5b over the next 20 years. Those people want their own cars, to eat quality meat every day, to own lots of electronics, to take vacations to far off places, and to consume and all those things are adding to environmental stresses. And who are we to say "well... we got in while everything was good, but you can't have any of that stuff cuz its bad for the planet, ok?"

Even China is getting into the act, beyond being the worlds biggest polluter at home, they are investing heavily in coal power plants in other parts of the world (Africa, Asia, South America) to move their businesses elsewhere, because their own people don't want more pollution at home. Out of the ~1600 coal plants expected to be built worldwide in the next 10 years (43% expansion, virtually none built in the USA) about 40% are Chinese funded, 700 in China, and the rest in other countries.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/01/climate/china-energy-companies-coal-plants-climate-change.html

At this point the grim reality is that either we are going to have to come up with new technological solutions to the global warming problem - ways to essentially take carbon out of the atmosphere and shoot it into the sun, inside the earth, domes to protect us from the higher temperatures, colony missions to new stars, whatever - or a few billion people have to die to relieve global demand for goods and services.

Previous wars were fought over idealogy, the next big war will likely be fought over water.

Who knows though, Elon Musk or a 11 year old kid could invent a new stable infinite energy battery that rapidly replaces all our power grids. Vat grown meat could become a thing quickly. People were absolutely sure in the 70s food was going to grow too scarce to feed more than 2 billion people, and then GMOs and fertilizers let us hit 7 billion populations.

This is yet another example of why we have to start acting immediately. The good news is that actually have most of the tools, we just need to implement them much faster. We have also proven that GDP growth does not need to be tied to carbon.

Top Bottom