• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minn House committee passes bill that lets local gov't sue protesters for police cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
If the protester is convicted of a crime. More at the link.

A confrontation between protesters and legislators in St. Paul on Tuesday underscored the nation’s deepening political divide in which lawmakers in at least eight states are considering crack downs on demonstrations.

Chants and shouting erupted after a House committee voted to pass a GOP-led measure that could make protesters financially liable if police must intervene.

Minnesota is joining a growing number of states looking to discourage large, disruptive protests.

Measures aimed at toughening laws against demonstrators have been introduced in North Dakota, Iowa, Michigan, Indiana, Colorado, Virginia and Washington state as protests have proliferated in recent months over issues ranging from police shootings to oil pipelines.

In Minnesota, groups have waged large rallies after the police shootings of Jamar Clark and Philando Castile, demonstrations that blocked roadways, disrupted the airport and resulted in a weekslong encampment at a north Minneapolis police station.

“I don’t think this is a coincidence that this is happening at a time in our nation where there are widespread movements led by people of color for racial equality,” said Teresa Nelson, legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Minnesota. “It is very troubling that we would see this kind of suppression and these attempts to intimidate people who are engaging in constitutionally protected speech and civil disobedience.”

Rep. Nick Zerwas, R-Elk River, said residents are tiring of the disruptive protests.

“I think there is a push on the part of the people who I represent and I think Minnesotans think it’s time we get tough on people who block freeways and try to close down airports,” he said in interview.

Tuesday’s committee ended abruptly after a House panel passed Zerwas’s proposed legislation that would give cities authority to charge protesters for police services if the demonstrators had been convicted of illegal assembly or public nuisance. The measure would also give cities the option of suing convicted protesters to recoup expenses from policing the demonstration.

“The meters are running and the taxpayers are holding the bag,” Zerwas said.

A large crowd that opposed the bill angrily denounced the lawmakers in the House Civil Law Committee after they passed the measure on a party-line vote. Republicans supported the legislation while DFLers opposed it.

Zerwas said that $2.4 million had been spent over 18 months for the policing of protests in Minneapolis, St. Paul and Bloomington, particularly during the blockades of I-94 in St. Paul and I-35W. Zerwas said he arrived at his total policing cost by adding up estimates in media reports.

Among those testifying against the bill on Tuesday was John Thompson of St. Paul, a machinist employed by the St. Paul Schools who said he was a friend of Castile, who was shot by police during a traffic stop. After the vote, a visibly upset Thompson stood and pointed at the legislators.

“My friend’s blood is on the streets of St. Anthony,” shouted Thompson. “It’s a crime to be a black, to be a black man driving down the street. That’s why we protested.”

Rep. Ilhan Omar, DFL-Minneapolis, said she opposed the measure.

“In Minneapolis there is a lot of money paid out because police use excessive force,” Omar said to Zerwas. “Who should be responsible for that?”

“That’s a good question for your City Council and mayor,” responded Zerwas.

Omar then told Zerwas he might want to co-author a bill with her that would make police who engage in excessive force responsible for the payouts to victims.

Zerwas did not reply.

slit

This is what happens when people don't fucking vote. The local and state level counts too you know!

kswiston

This kind of stuff can't be constitutional, but the GOP doesn't really respect the first amendment anyway.

The only one that matters is the second. People are fine losing the first and fourth as long as you distract them with issues about the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom