• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minimal Mice or Fully-loaded Mice? Which do you prefer.

Which type of mice do you prefer?

• Total voters

Tams

Gold Member
I was just watching Hardware Canucks 'Top 5 Best Gaming Mice of 2021!' and found it notable that all the mice featured were of the minimal variety.

Also, all the mice that have lots of buttons and features are all getting on now, having not been updated in some years. Not much experimentation seems to have occurred either recently. So I assume the market for them is quite small.

I'm very much a fan of mice with lots of buttons. I had the first Razer Naga, then the R.A.T. 7 MMORPG (shame about some of the build quality), and now use a Roccat Tyon. The weight of them doesn't bother me.

So what's GAF's populace like? Are you all FPS nuts that don't want lots of buttons adding weight or MMORPG addicts who need buttons to bind everything?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
In-between, my ideal amount of side buttons is 4 which is why I have a Logitech G502. Looks a bit space-age and you have to manually configure the top buttons to work as extra inputs but it works a treat.

61mpMH5TzkL._AC_SY450_.jpg

T-Cake

I've seen these ergonomic mice that resemble a joystick and you move the stick around. Not sure whether they're any good but I'd like to try one.

Ellery

Minimal for me, but I used to play shooters competitively and nearly made it into the Counter Strike 1.6 Pro league.

Mostly minimal low dpi right hand mice I've used throughout my life and I tested what must be like 30+ different ones throughout my life. At some point I even owned the extremely rare sought after Microsoft Intelli Mice 1.1 and 3.0 from Steelseries. I tried Steelseries Kinzu, Kana, Rival, Sensei, Logitech g403, g502, MX510, MX518, Finalmouse Ergo, Razer Deathadder, Razer Viper, multiple Zowie models etc.

Right now and for some time I have been using the Zowie EC1A. Eventually I realized that big, right hand, good clicky, light weight mice are the way to go for me. This is the second time I bought that one.

zowie-ec1-a-opener.jpg

I am just used to it by now having low sens and a big cloth mousepad. I no longer play competitively and eventually I see myself getting a new wireless mouse (they are extremely good nowadays).

SJRB

Gold Member
I've seen these ergonomic mice that resemble a joystick and you move the stick around. Not sure whether they're any good but I'd like to try one.

People at my office get those when they're having carpal tunnel or similar ailments. I've tried it but in my opinion it's a recipe for disaster because of the high mobility movements. You need to move it from the shoulder joint instead of the wrist. I don't think it'll be good for your arm in the long term with extensive use.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I'm extremely heavy handed so fully loaded for me! feels good not to have to grab my mouse off the floor after it went flying off my desk

supernova8

Banned
I was just watching Hardware Canucks 'Top 5 Best Gaming Mice of 2021!' and found it notable that all the mice featured were of the minimal variety.

Also, all the mice that have lots of buttons and features are all getting on now, having not been updated in some years. Not much experimentation seems to have occurred either recently. So I assume the market for them is quite small.

I'm very much a fan of mice with lots of buttons. I had the first Razer Naga, then the R.A.T. 7 MMORPG (shame about some of the build quality), and now use a Roccat Tyon. The weight of them doesn't bother me.

So what's GAF's populace like? Are you all FPS nuts that don't want lots of buttons adding weight or MMORPG addicts who need buttons to bind everything?

Personally I like a simple mouse that is quiet (almost silent clicks), comfortable for my hand and (since I always use wireless now) has a good connection with the dongle or whatever receiver it has, without cutting out. Not that I really game much anymore anyway. I swear I just come here to argue with people about games I'm never going to play.

Will Ferrell Loser GIF

nemiroff

Gold Member
I couldn't be happier with my choice going from a fully decked to a Logitech G Pro Wireless. It's minimalistic, quiet and very comfortable.

Graciaus

I have one of those MMO ones and never use 95% of them. A scroll wheel and a back/forward button on the side are good enough for me.

Fuz

Banned
In between.

But if I have to choose, I prefer a simple 5 euros mouse to the many thumb buttons.
In-between, my ideal amount of side buttons is 4 which is why I have a Logitech G502. Looks a bit space-age and you have to manually configure the top buttons to work as extra inputs but it works a treat.

I have this one too.

rofif

Banned
1200x725.jpg

I'm using the Razer Viper, so minimal layout for me. Never been one for a fully decked out mouse, I can't even reach the side buttons on the right side without contracting my fingers in unnatural ways, lol.
YEAH I have viper ultimate and it's perfect.
I was looking for a mouse without dpi button under scroll. I like to rest my middle finger there.

Soodanim

I currently use a Logitech G305 because wireless is the way forward despite it being smaller than ideal for my big hands, but I have my old G502 as a backup for if this dies. In terms of what the thread is actually asking, I lean towards minimal. I don't do any MMORPG type stuff where more than a couple extra buttons are necessary.

I can't get used to a mouse. Love Apple Magic Trackpad 2.
That will have to be pretty fucking magic for it to be good. I hate trackpads with a passion, and making it bigger doesn't seem like it will fix that.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I currently use a Logitech G305 because wireless is the way forward despite it being smaller than ideal for my big hands, but I have my old G502 as a backup for if this dies. In terms of what the thread is actually asking, I lean towards minimal. I don't do any MMORPG type stuff where more than a couple extra buttons are necessary.

That will have to be pretty fucking magic for it to be good. I hate trackpads with a passion, and making it bigger doesn't seem like it will fix that.
Ordinary trackpads I don't like, but the gestures capabilities on Apple ones are really efficient.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

The two thumb buttons are good, but the scroll wheel is mostly useless for gaming outside really spammy glitchy stuff that usually gets patched out.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I actually have 2 mice on my desk.

For general browsing and work I use a MX Anywhere V3. Amazing battery life, love the hyperscrolling feature, enough buttons etc. Build quality has been questionable in the past, I have had sevearl V1s and some V2, but V3 seems to be the best so far. Battery life is unbeatable.

61S6yJOOA4L._AC_SX450_.jpg

But when I do any serious gaming I switch over to a Logitech G Pro Wireless

LD0005893070_1.jpg

CeeJay

Logitech MX Anywhere 2

71KKppCU9PL._AC_SY450_.jpg

I use it for work and for gaming, it can store 3 different Bluetooth profiles. Nice weighty feel, not too big, not too small, lasts ages on a charge, charges quickly. It's aimed at desktop office use but works perfectly well for any gaming I do on PC and is not extortionately priced. I really do not see the value in so called "gaming" mice, they cost a fortune while also seemingly less robust and for my old brain the difference in latency and precision is unperceivable. My son only ever gets gaming mice and seems to go through about 1 a year whereas I just buy decent middle of the road office mice and have had about 2 or 3 in the entire time i've been a PC user/gamer.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

For general browsing and work I use a MX Anywhere V3. Amazing battery life, love the hyperscrolling feature, enough buttons etc. Build quality has been questionable in the past, I have had sevearl V1s and some V2, but V3 seems to be the best so far. Battery life is unbeatable.

61S6yJOOA4L._AC_SX450_.jpg

But when I do any serious gaming I switch over to a Logitech G Pro Wireless

LD0005893070_1.jpg
That anywhere v3 great taste.
Only mouse i would ever use on a macbook

Tams

Gold Member
I have one of those MMO ones and never use 95% of them. A scroll wheel and a back/forward button on the side are good enough for me.
I find it hard to play games without the extra buttons. Even FPSes, as a bind things like the grenade and melee to the mouse. It just feels far more intuitive to me, even though it can compromise accuracy at times.

And while I do like playing on a keyboard, I'm not a fan of contorting my hand to reach some keys. I tend to use keypads, but even then I prefer the controls on the mouse.

I do use an MX Master 2 (although I actually keep it in my work bag and am too lazy to use it at home). The Hyperscroll and side scroll wheel are really nice, and of course the shape is great too.
And I have an Elecom trackball for when I'm playing my electric piano.

Last edited:

CeeJay

This so much! It's a beast for Excel or long SQL database result sets. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Soodanim

The two thumb buttons are good, but the scroll wheel is mostly useless for gaming outside really spammy glitchy stuff that usually gets patched out.
As funny as the Doom 2016 slope jump is, the scroll wheel is the classic weapon selection. I usually use the middle click for grenade or special ability if the side buttons are already used.
This so much! It's a beast for Excel or long SQL database result sets. :messenger_smiling_hearts:
I tempted by an MX Master because of the horizontal scrolling, is there something about the Anywhere or Master that makes you prefer the anywhere?

Dream-Knife

Banned

I love my G502 with all of the weights. High dpi (3200) with a heavier mouse is ideal.

CeeJay

As funny as the Doom 2016 slope jump is, the scroll wheel is the classic weapon selection. I usually use the middle click for grenade or special ability if the side buttons are already used.

I tempted by an MX Master because of the horizontal scrolling, is there something about the Anywhere or Master that makes you prefer the anywhere?
Not especially, I got the Anywhere because at the time it was on a really good offer compared to the Master and I decided the horizontal scroll wheel wasn't something that was worth the extra cost to me. If both mice were the same price at the time I would have probably gone with the Master.

Wildebeest

Number keys are the classic weapon selection. With the scroll wheel there is no way to select the exact weapon you want and too often it registers a double action. I know that many games bind weapon switch to scroll wheel as a default but this is bad, bad, bad.

Soodanim

Number keys are the classic weapon selection. With the scroll wheel there is no way to select the exact weapon you want and too often it registers a double action. I know that many games bind weapon switch to scroll wheel as a default but this is bad, bad, bad.
I've always had good results with the scroll wheel, personally. Number row is fine, but there's been plenty of games where I'd rather scroll backwards through the list to get to whatever is mapped to 6-9.

If you don't use the scroll wheel for weapons, what do you use it for? Blank?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
For General Browsing I use a g502, super comfortable and the infinite scroll wheel is very nice. For fps, if I'm trying to go super sweaty I use the Razer DeathAdder as if has the best ergonomics and the thumb buttons are the perfect size, and for MMO's I use the Logitech MMO mouse, it's just perfectly designed for MMO's and it'd be hard to go back. So I switch back and forth between 3 mice depending on what I'm doing.

Last edited:

Tschumi

i came here to post this. i am not a hardwear guy, but i needed a mouse with lots of buttons for a vanilla wow private server a half decade or so ago and i got this one, just because... i've owned 3, i'll only ever use this for the rest of my mofuggin life and i'm so glad the first post here was it. fuck yes.

edit: they released a second model, prefer the new wire coating for sure.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member

I just got this, and the only things I hate about it are:
  • It feels too light - I came from the Logitech MX Master 2S and that was hefty and felt sturdy. This feels so light that it's almost cheap.
  • The scroll wheel is too clunky - I'm not sure how to explain it. Again, compared to the Logitech MX Master 2S the scroll wheel feels cheap and clunky. I'm talking about precision mode, not the infinite scroll (or whatever it's called).
The mouse works great, but those two things really bother me about it.

JCK75

I don't want a lot of buttons because I find I'm not really capable of using more than the usual amount..
but I do want high precision and the option of adding weight (and by that I mean I add the maximum amount of weight it allows)

Dream-Knife

Banned
I just got this, and the only things I hate about it are:
  • It feels too light - I came from the Logitech MX Master 2S and that was hefty and felt sturdy. This feels so light that it's almost cheap.
  • The scroll wheel is too clunky - I'm not sure how to explain it. Again, compared to the Logitech MX Master 2S the scroll wheel feels cheap and clunky. I'm talking about precision mode, not the infinite scroll (or whatever it's called).
The mouse works great, but those two things really bother me about it.
Did you put all the weights in it? I do think it should be even heavier though.

Kuranghi

I have a Razer Mamba TE 1.5m from me but its wired and PC is too far for the wire now so I've been using this wireless piece of shit (in terms of gaming) for years:

414HLRREM4L._AC_SY450_.jpg

I play most things on controller now and if it really needs or benefits from M&KB I can still do it, just not ideal. Every time I look at lapboards or the like I balk at pricing and forget about it. When I get a new place next year I'll have a cinema and gaming room separate from lounge and then I can have a chair and desk traditional PC setup with my large TV as the display on a wall a couple of meters away. I'd like to fold away computerdesk and chair when watching movies and have couches or the like.

The only games I have installed that really need M&KB are C&C+RA:Remastered and Serious Sam Fusion/4 but even the latter is fine on controller, the default max speed turning seemed perfectly balanced for circle strafing enemies like Kleer so I didnt want for M&KB tbh. Sure long shots and the like would be easier and more fun to pull off but it wasn't a massive deal when just having fun on normal/hard with a friend.

Whoa that was funny, SS4 just got launch trailer for PS5/XSX while I was writing that.

Trogdor1123

Wireless,back button, and scroll ball. That’s I need. Why do they have so many buttons on mmo mice? I’ve never understood why

chixdiggit

Had a Razer Naga and loved it then went G502 for years. Now on a Razer Basilisk Ultimate
Same.
Razer Basilisk Ultimate is incredible. Just feels great and really performs. Interested to see how long it holds together given Razer's sometimes questionable quality. But so far highly recommended and a total replacement for the G502.

Top Bottom