• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft & Streets of Rage Movies in production

Draugoth

Gold Member
Jason-Mamoa-Ambulance-Premiere-GettyImages-1389623881-H-2022.jpg

Aquaman and Dune star Jason Momoa is lining up another tentpole with Warner Bros. The actor is in final negotiations to star in the studio’s live-action Minecraft movie, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. Napoleon Dynamite filmmaker Jared Hess will direct the project, based on the popular video game.

image002-1.png

On the heels of its success with Paramount’s Sonic the Hedgehog films, SEGA has another franchise coming to the big screen with beat ’em up game Streets of Rage getting the film treatment, sources tell Deadline. Derek Kolstad, who created the John Wick action franchise and penned the Bob Odenkirk actioner Nobody, wrote the script on spec.

Saber

Gold Member
Minecraft lmao

Street of Rage, now this is something. But I wouldn't put my hopes in it. Its rare to see video game turning into good movies.

Last edited:

dave_d

As long as it's not as bad as "Fist of the North Star". I know, not a video game movie but holy hell is that movie bad. (Just go watch the "hundred crack fist" from it on youtube.)

A Streets of Rage movie not made in the 80's/early 90's would be shit. Leave it alone.

Not really; the Sonic movies were made this decade and are among the best gaming films ever. They're also just genuinely good movies.

As long as they set a SoR movie in the early '90s and actually make it feel that way (and not be surface-level BS like Captain Marvel was; think more like how Mid '90s was), then I think it could work.

As for Minecraft film? Literally makes no sense. There's even less story there than SoR, but at least SoR has a cool setting and nostalgic aesthetic/era it can play to. Minecraft has none of that going for it.

Holy shit is Hollywood creatively bankrupt.

Welcome to the past 10 years.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
I have faith for SoR with Kolstad behind it. Surprisingly Sonice backlash by gamers is what’s given Paramount the needed formula to get gaming movies right.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Streets of Rage definitely has potential to be a great action flick and if all else fails, there's like 100 of those movies that were made in the 80s/90s. You can always just watch one of those.

Man when i saw the news...I still can't believe Sor will get a movie, with a good director also...!

Im so happy! :D

Last edited:
I'd go back and have fun with Double Dragon. I wouldn't have fun with the current shite. Films are right up their own arse these days.
The only two redeeming things about that movie are Robert Patrick hamming it up and Alyssa Milano's ass. It's not a fun movie and the two main characters are extremely boring. All of the budget was most likely spent on Robert Patrick and you can very much tell. Streets of Rage wouldn't have been given nowhere near the same treatment that the Street Fighter Movie got, and even that's a stretch. It's better off being mentioned today for a movie rather than back then. You honestly just need a great director to pull it off.

dave_d

Streets of Rage definitely has potential to be a great action flick and if all else fails, there's like 100 of those movies that were made in the 80s/90s. You can always just watch one of those.

Hell, if you want to watch a classic 80s movie that mixes fighting with music you can always watch "Berry Gordy's Last Dragon". It's even got Sho'Nuff in it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking to Deadline, producer of Sonic Prime and Sonic the Hedgehog, Toru Nakahara said: "Lionsgate is one of the most dynamic studios in the entertainment industry today. We look forward to working with them, Derek, and our all-star producers to bring this compelling IP to life.'' DJ2 Entertainment's Dimitri Johnson added that it was his dream to work on a Streets of Rage movie since his childhood, "I’ve wanted to make a Streets of Rage film since I was 12 years old. This has shaped up to become a dream project alongside a dream team.''

Top Bottom