• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft RTX Beta is coming on April 16!

Banned
just watched the Digital Foundry video on it, and given the performance metrics tested, we can basically also infer the ballpark RT performance of the Series X.
during their visit at Microsoft they saw a Minecraft RT demo running on Series X at native 1080p with a framerate that fluctuated between 30 and 60, so let's just say it's 1080p45fps

an RTX2080ti can run the game pretty much locked at 1080p60fps with overhead to run higher on less taxing scenes it seems. an RTX 2060 can run the game at around 720p60.
so the RT performance of the Series X should be in the ballpark of an RTX 2070, if we assume the Series X demo ran at similar settings in terms of bounces and rays per second.

this is a really rough way to estimate this, but Minecraft RTX is the first real world example that at least somewhat allows us to judge the RT performance of the Series X

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
I've gotten all kinds of messages trying the insider hub. My network is missing, http request failed, not allowed on a secure server.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I have to admit I was wrong about this being an easier way to try path tracing on Minecraft. I followed all the steps in preparation late last night:
1) Owned Minecraft Win10
2) Updated to Nvidia 'Day 1' Minecraft driver
3) Downloaded Xbox Insider Hub and opted into the Minecraft Beta

Woke up today all excite to play, and then found out you have to go back into the Insider Hub and opt into the newly listed RTX Beta, which is stuck on pending. This is way more convoluted than the SEUS PTGI setup. Oh well, wish in one hand, shit in the other. Just gotta wait now.

*EDIT* The new RTX Beta opt-in finally went through. Took about 30 minutes. Had to uninstall and reinstall the Minecraft App to get the RTX Beta to work. Pain in the ass, but I'm happy it working now. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Quick side-by-side vid I did for the world Neon District by Elysium Fire. Haven't had a chance to mess around with settings and all the different maps, but I was excited to get something up showing how it looks...

Codes 208

I just want my damn graphics pack (the one they teased us with back in 2017, then sat on it for two years before straight up canceling it)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, this looks incredible. Just played around in a few maps on my RTX 2060 laptop. I love what Ray Tracing can do games with more rudimentary graphics like this and Quake II.

chinoXL

doesn't seem like i can do anything RTX related with the free trial version of the game. i just want to test out the RTX features but don't want to drop 30 bucks on it. anyone know of another way to get it going?

doesn't seem like i can do anything RTX related with the free trial version of the game. i just want to test out the RTX features but don't want to drop 30 bucks on it. anyone know of another way to get it going?

Buy it from "unauthorised" key sellers.

I just got mine from Kinguin for $2.50

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Made another video, this time a more complete comparison that looks at the frame rate and visual differences at different chunk sizes. Comparing standard rendering Minecraft at 80 chunks versus RTX+DLSS at 8, 12, 16, 20, and 24 Chunk Size, respectively. The video covers each of the 5 RTX Worlds created for the Minecraft RTX Beta.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
RTX implementation looks amazing, but I think "Seus" looks more realistic.

Photorealistic lighting.

SEUS shaders have whole post-processing pipeline (tonemapping, motion-blur etc.) but it's not even close to RTX version it terms of full ray-tracing lighting - RTX is full path-tracing, with multiple light bounces, SEUS it just a mod, that doesn't have access to whole rendering pipeline. More you play RTX version more you notice.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Minecraft with RTX Beta - 1.15.0.9 (Windows 10)
Posted: April 28, 2020

Several improvements and fixes have been made to the Minecraft with RTX beta for Windows 10. Be sure to check out the Known Issues List and Frequently Asked Questions for the latest details.

Fixes:
  • Crash fixes
  • Items in hand look identical to the same items placed in the world
  • Sun shadows and god rays look brighter and more correct through glass
  • Performance enhancements
  • Tweaks to address the brightness at night
  • Fix for per-pixel emissives on low resolution textures
  • Fix for better looking glass in reflections

Catphish

Is there a timetable for this to ever leave beta? I'll probably by buying a new rig next month after the 3080ti (3090?) drops, and Minecraft RTX is one of the main reasons I'm upgrading. It would be nice to know what the roadmap is for it, but I can't find any news or info on it whatsoever.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Is there a timetable for this to ever leave beta? I'll probably by buying a new rig next month after the 3080ti (3090?) drops, and Minecraft RTX is one of the main reasons I'm upgrading. It would be nice to know what the roadmap is for it, but I can't find any news or info on it whatsoever.
I hope it doesn't go the way of the Super Duper Graphics Pack.

Here we are four months later and I haven't heard anything about this or seen any updates. The Nether and the End dimensions were pretty broken in the beta.

Top Bottom