• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Mobile Getting E3 Outing? Xperia Play as platform announcement?

V_Ben

Banned
http://kotaku.com/5805149/minecraft-mobile-getting-e3-outing

5gSDq.jpg

Packed with imagery and references to Minecraft, it seems a safe bet to assume that the Sony Ericsson E3 party for their Xperia Play phone has got to be, at least in part, about the popular indie computer game.

The party promises to give those in attendance access to Xperia Play devices as well as "one of the leading industry figures, makers of one of the hottest games on any platform right now."

The invitation, seen in part above, features Minecraft art and a reference to keeping the creepers at bay.

What if it's a PlayStation Suite launch title... Minecraft across Sony devices. That would be something. Having the creator come on stage at their press conference to announce it would be cool too :)

Update: Confirmed :)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34788/Android_Minecraft_Coming_To_Xperia_Play_First.php

Android Minecraft Coming To Xperia Play First

Minecraft developer Mojang has confirmed to Gamasutra that the previously revealed Android version of its PC indie hit will be arriving on Sony Ericsson's PlayStation-certified Xperia Play before other phones.

The Xperia Play version of Minecraft will feature customized controls for the system's PlayStation-styled slide-out buttons, the company said.

Mojang is also developing versions of the title for iOS and other Android phones, and said the smartphone versions of the game will be tweaked slightly to deal with the vagaries of the new platform.

"When playing on smartphones you will have a different screen size compared to PC, different hardware, different attention spans and thus the game needs to be customized to fit the mobile specifications," the company said.

Mojang has yet to announce a price, release date or specific exclusivity period for the Xperia Play version of Minecraft, but did say the title will follow the PC model of "release early and update frequently."

More information about new versions is expected at E3, where a Minecraft-themed media event invite for the evening of June 7 invites attendees to "stay in the light and take refuge with Sony Ericsson to keep the creepers at bay."

kodt

Banned
Hmm possible Android version to go along with the iOS version?

If so I hope this isn't limited to Xperia play devices. Then again my phone might not be powerful enough for Minecraft anyway.

Atomski

The only handheld I could see Minecraft actually being anywhere near the orginal on would be the 3DS. Using the bottom screen Metroid Hunters style.

Everything else just seems like it would be extremely janky.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I doubt it'll be a Playstation Suite title. They've already talked about doing an Android version of Minecraft, so it'll probably just be a normal Android title with Xperia Play support.

V_Ben

Banned
ZealousD said:
I doubt it'll be a Playstation Suite title. They've already talked about doing an Android version of Minecraft, so it'll probably just be a normal Android title with Xperia Play support.

Or perhaps an Xperia Play timed exclusive.

kodt

Banned
Atomski said:
The only handheld I could see Minecraft actually being anywhere near the orginal on would be the 3DS. Using the bottom screen Metroid Hunters style.

Everything else just seems like it would be extremely janky.

Now that would be cool, sadly I don't see it happening :(

ZealousD

V_Ben said:
Or perhaps an Xperia Play timed exclusive.

Yeah that's another good bet. There's already a couple titles like that, like Age of Zombies and Backstab.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ZealousD said:

I think this announcement will be for a 'vanilla Android' version, with Xperia Play support and/or some deal with Sony Ericsson around it.

HOWEVER, it's not a big leap to think they could submit it for Playstation Suite also, and that Sony would readily approve it. I agree this isn't what this announcement's about though, but perhaps in the future...

ZealousD

gofreak said:
HOWEVER, it's not a big leap to think they could submit it for Playstation Suite also, and that Sony would readily approve it. I agree this isn't what this announcement's about though, but perhaps in the future...

Well, Playstation Suite is still a ways off from launching. Right now the Playstation Pocket App on the Xperia Play only has like five PS1 titles and none of them enjoy any cross-platform play.

If the Android version of Minecraft is nearly ready to go, than they'd be sitting on their hands for awhile if they wanted Playstation Suite support. But they could launch pretty much immediately if they were just talking about an Android version with Xperia Play support.

Plus, I think a Playstation Suite announcement would come from Sony, not Sony Ericsson.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ZealousD said:
Well, Playstation Suite is still a ways off from launching. Right now the Playstation Pocket App on the Xperia Play only has like five PS1 titles and none of them enjoy any cross-platform play.

If the Android version of Minecraft is nearly ready to go, than they'd be sitting on their hands for awhile if they wanted Playstation Suite support. But they could launch pretty much immediately if they were just talking about an Android version with Xperia Play support.

Plus, I think a Playstation Suite announcement would come from Sony, not Sony Ericsson.

I agree, like I said, I don't think this is about Suite at all - it's something SE is arranging independently, as they have thusfar for Xperia Play - but it's not hard to imagine it in the future at some point. That's all :p

ZealousD

I really am interested in seeing how PS Suite is going to shape up. Right now things are pretty quiet on that front. Only the Xperia Play and a couple Sony-made tablets are Playstation Certified atm. Hopefully we'll hear more at E3.

V_Ben

Banned
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34788/Android_Minecraft_Coming_To_Xperia_Play_First.php

Android Minecraft Coming To Xperia Play First

Minecraft developer Mojang has confirmed to Gamasutra that the previously revealed Android version of its PC indie hit will be arriving on Sony Ericsson's PlayStation-certified Xperia Play before other phones.

The Xperia Play version of Minecraft will feature customized controls for the system's PlayStation-styled slide-out buttons, the company said.

Mojang is also developing versions of the title for iOS and other Android phones, and said the smartphone versions of the game will be tweaked slightly to deal with the vagaries of the new platform.

"When playing on smartphones you will have a different screen size compared to PC, different hardware, different attention spans and thus the game needs to be customized to fit the mobile specifications," the company said.

Mojang has yet to announce a price, release date or specific exclusivity period for the Xperia Play version of Minecraft, but did say the title will follow the PC model of "release early and update frequently."

More information about new versions is expected at E3, where a Minecraft-themed media event invite for the evening of June 7 invites attendees to "stay in the light and take refuge with Sony Ericsson to keep the creepers at bay."

plainr_

Sony needs to launch the PS Suite now and jump start their games catalog. I'm thinking of buying an Android phone soon and I don't feel like purchasing games if they can't transfer over to the NGP.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, pretty cool that it's confirmed.

I wonder how different/downgraded it will be? I was really hoping to see the game basically just get ported to other platforms so people on their Ipads could jump on the same server I was in.

Mojang said:

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
"makers of one of the hottest games right now"?

HM, I WONDER WHAT THAT COULD BE.

Seriously, given the art on that card, why did they even bother?

Top Bottom