• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miles Morales actor posts image of himself in mocap, hinting at Spider-Man 2 being in production

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This game is probably a couple of years away seeing as how Spiderman came out 2.5 years after they shipped Ratchet in 2016.

Hopefully this means a 2023 title will be next gen only but with Sony releasing THREE big last gen titles in 2022 who knows at this point.

sainraja

I'm hoping this is not more of the same and they make a deeper more interesting world. I always felt the Arkham games (City and Knight) suffered from a similar problem. Building a living breathing game world, rather than the open world cinematic take that it is now.
What good does that do any of us? There are soooo many open world games trying to do that very thing that I just don't understand why people keep asking for more. The Arkham games and Spiderman games have handled open world the best in my opinion.

Last edited:
Idk why he had to deleted as it Spider-Man 2 being made is a secret Needs to keep. Sometimes these companies stay secretive in places they don’t need too. Actually wish more developers gave BTS content as the game was being made. Ninja theory does a good job at that.

Last edited:
I expect Spider-Man 2 to be a Holiday 2023 game and hopefully a PS5 exclusive this time, not cross-gen. However, with Jim Ryan at the helm, I wouldn't be surprised if it does still release on old hardware.

Miles Morales actor doing mocap for next mainline Spiderman? So we gonna play as Fake Spiderman again and not real Spiderman that is peter parker?

If not Peter then will be easy skip then.

Last edited:

Hustler

I would really like Insomniac to try something new, but I guess Spider-Man has been good for them. I feel like they could do something more interesting though. Ah well.
You guess it's been good for them?

According to gamesindustry.biz:

"2018's Marvel's Spider-Man was the fastest-selling superhero game in US history, the biggest PlayStation exclusive launch ever, and it drove a 65% increase in games profits for Sony back then. As of November 2020, it had sold 20 million units worldwide."

I'd say this more than warrants a sequel, even if we would like Insomniac to work on a new IP.

Kuranghi

Obviously Insomniac will be watching this thread like a hawk for all the sweet, sweet core gamer feedback ofc so heres some for you:

Make it so you can do that web slingshot thing he does in some incarnations, I want to fly up into the sky like a mad pinball you 'mniacs, make it happen... or something cooler than that is fine too 😬

Kuranghi

"2018's Marvel's Spider-Man was the fastest-selling superhero game in US history, the biggest PlayStation exclusive launch ever, and it drove a 65% increase in games profits for Sony back then. As of November 2020, it had sold 20 million units worldwide."

I'd say this more than warrants a sequel, even if we would like Insomniac to work on a new IP.

20 milli-jizzle copies is fucking mad, I didnt know it was that high.

Great fun game so well deserved, bring on the sequel that gives an "Arkham City"-style level of gameplay upgrade!

Beelzebubs

Just because he's in mocap gear doesn't mean it's Spiderman neccessarily. It could be any number of projects as good mocap performers are hard to come by.

Kuranghi

Bundled with every PS4 sold where I live, for last year at least.

All Sony exclusives have inflated sales figures due to bundling, 3-4 games per console sold.

You're minimising it too much with that statement, even without the bundle sales it would still be pretty high sales figures for a non-CoD/sports game release.

mckmas8808

Banned
Yeah, but would you be happy for it to be more of the same? Or something fresh with Spiderman.

not sure I’d be keen for more of the same.

How do you define more of the same though? I'd like them to take what they have and just add to it. Make it PS5 exclusive, so that they can get more out of the hardware and add more physics to the game. There's ZERO reason to completely change it up though. Even the Batman games went through 4 separate games before people wanted some big changes to it.

Spiderman has only had one main line game and a side story game. There's alot more left in that jar to eat before Insomniac has to revamp it.

Kholinar

Banned
Why do so many people believe SpiderGwen will be coming.

Does she exist in this universe, isnt Gwen Stacy just a normal girl in the game universe?
She aint dead yet(?) for her to be replaced by SpiderGwen either.

Venom Spiderman is more likely than SpiderGwen.
Hell id actually even expect clone saga to come before SpiderGwen.
I actually think it's a LOT more likely than you think. Insomniac denied on Twitter that Gwen died before the events of the first game, basically confirming she's alive.

How I think they'll go about it, IMO, is a little more unorthodox than people expect. We know that Norman and Dr. Connors are trying to cure Harry's disease with Venom, but I theorize it's not the regular, talking, alien Venom we all know, but one made entirely out of a lab experiment between Norman and Curt Connors (The Lizard). The kicker is, this isn't just a random theory; this is somewhat what happens in Earth-65 in the comics. In that alternate Earth, there was a scientist who fused Dr. Connors' Lizard formula and Oscorp's radioactive spider isotopes to create Venom, which was eventually given to Harry to cure him of a disease. In this instance, I think they're just cutting out the middleman and just having Norman and Dr. Connors create Venom instead. Furthermore, in the comics, Spider-Gwen loses her powers at some point but eventually regains it through bonding with Venom, creating what the fanbase usually refers to as Gwenom.

My prediction is that Gwen will appear during the post-credits of SM2 and become unwittingly bonded to the symbiote and then we'll have some spin-off title or something. And, I mean, they're obviously gonna create a separate symbiote moveset for Peter, so it'll be rather economical for Insomniac to reuse it instead of scrapping it.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I would really like Insomniac to try something new, but I guess Spider-Man has been good for them. I feel like they could do something more interesting though. Ah well.
I want Spider-man 2 built from the ground up on PS5 and that Venom boss fight and after that, something new but knowing Insomniac, they're probably also working on a new IP or a new Resistance or Sunset Overdrive 2 as well

You're minimising it too much with that statement, even without the bundle sales it would still be pretty high sales figures for a non-CoD/sports game release.

Just a reality check man. I know sales are good.

Putting it out there cause it surprises people.

20 million for Spiderman? Whoa.

Ofcourse it will be there, it's bundled with the console.

Dr Bass

I love how on forums people will find literally any reason to rip on a post.

Apparently I was not effusive enough with my superlatives when discussing Spider-Man's sales numbers, so it's pitchfork and torch time.

Dr Bass

Why would they try something new? They literally just made ONE Spider-Man game and one side game...
Well I bought what I consider to be two Spider-Man games. They were good. And they were fairly close together. I could wait for Spider-Man 2 to be end of PS5 or a PS6 game, if they needed to do it at all.

Just my take. I'm sure plenty of people are ready for more and it will sell well, so by all means. I was merely stating a personal preference. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Hustler

I love how on forums people will find literally any reason to rip on a post.

Apparently I was not effusive enough with my superlatives when discussing Spider-Man's sales numbers, so it's pitchfork and torch time.

What're you talking about? I was agreeing with you and sharing some insights on just how good it's been for Insomniac and Sony with the first game. But sure, take my comment as ripping on your post and pitchforks. Dramatic much?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This suggests the following...

Sony has identified Spiderman as a game franchise that would benefit the most by releasing smaller, more frequent, less ambitious sequels more often. This sounds like a 2023 game.

iHaunter

Well I bought what I consider to be two Spider-Man games. They were good. And they were fairly close together. I could wait for Spider-Man 2 to be end of PS5 or a PS6 game, if they needed to do it at all.

Just my take. I'm sure plenty of people are ready for more and it will sell well, so by all means. I was merely stating a personal preference. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
It's just strange to say, not like it's Spider-man 6. They haven't even made a second one, why would they dump a new successful IP after one game?

Sony has identified Spiderman as a game franchise that would benefit the most by releasing smaller, more frequent, less ambitious sequels more often. This sounds like a 2023 game.

Unless Insomniac are capable of working on multiple projects at once. It's definitely possible that they were working on the game while making Ratchet.

I don't get why people are surprised by this lol. Game did well, did they just expect something else ? It's obviously gonna happen sooner or later.

Varteras

Gold Member
Unless Insomniac are capable of working on multiple projects at once. It's definitely possible that they were working on the game while making Ratchet.

Insomniac has more than one team and more than one director. If they didn't there was no way you were going to get Spider-Man, Stormland, Miles Morales, and Rift Apart within the span of 3 years. That doesn't even include the two little VR games they did during that time either. Insomniac is an incredibly prolific studio. Over the last 10 years, since 2012, they've released 20 games and about half of those were major projects. Meaning they're averaging about one major title a year for the last decade. In their 27 year history they've released 35 games. While I doubt we're getting another Spider-Man in 2022, it wouldn't be at all shocking if it gets announced as a Holiday 2022 or Early 2023 game. Insomniac just churns out games.

Insomniac has more than one team and more than one director. If they didn't there was no way you were going to get Spider-Man, Stormland, Miles Morales, and Rift Apart within the span of 3 years. That doesn't even include the two little VR games they did during that time either. Insomniac is an incredibly prolific studio. Over the last 10 years, since 2012, they've released 20 games and about half of those were major projects. Meaning they're averaging about one major title a year for the last decade. In their 27 year history they've released 35 games. While I doubt we're getting another Spider-Man in 2022, it wouldn't be at all shocking if it gets announced as a Holiday 2022 or Early 2023 game. Insomniac just churns out games.

The original comment said that he wouldn't be surprised if Spiderman 2 was a smaller title like Miles Morales. Knowing Insomniac and how efficient they are it's probably a title similar in scope to Insomniacs Spiderman. Although I can definitely see them releasing some sort of stand alone content after the sequel like Miles Morales.

Varteras

Gold Member
The original comment said that he wouldn't be surprised if Spiderman 2 was a smaller title like Miles Morales. Knowing Insomniac and how efficient they are it's probably a title similar in scope to Insomniacs Spiderman. Although I can definitely see them releasing some sort of stand alone content after the sequel like Miles Morales.
Oh for sure. I was following you on that. I probably should have included their quote too. Was just jumping into that convo to say that Insomniac definitely has the development chops to crank out a full fledged sequel relatively soon. Their track record clearly shows they could pull it off.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
......did people think this game was NOT in development?

The story here is that motion capture is already being done. Motion capture typically happens later in a games development cycle, which means...

1. We could be getting an Ikishmi Island style director's cut soon.

2. The next Spider Man is due ~2023, which is sooner than many would predict.

MrS

Banned
The story here is that motion capture is already being done. Motion capture typically happens later in a games development cycle, which means...

1. We could be getting an Ikishmi Island style director's cut soon.

2. The next Spider Man is due ~2023, which is sooner than many would predict.
1. Not happening again after we literally just had that in Miles Morales
2. 2023 is not sooner than many would predict as Insomniac are wizards. Game could well be out late 22.

Renozokii

They did one game and a small spin off. You talk like they’ve been stuck on the shit for a decade.

Renozokii

That would be 3 years for their largest dev team which is pretty average.

Top Bottom