• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mid year sale on NA PSN (finally,there is some good deals)

MikeyB

Excuse my ignorance, but what is Killzone Shadow Fall Intercept? Is it the game + some DLC?
IIRC, it is a four person coop horde mode. Class based I think. It can be standalone or DLC. I bought it a year after release and finding full matches was spotty then. But it was a shit ton of fun when I got a full match. Regular Killzone multiplayer was slightly better, but different.

Hexa

Definitely in for Ratchet and Clank.
I've been looking into Malicious Fallen, but I haven't been able to find a completely clear answer. This has all the content from the other games, and hence can be played even if I haven't played the others right?
Also tempted to get Witch and the Hundred Knight. I really like the style. Is the game play at least bearable?

Kill3r7

That's a bit harsh.. it's probably the worst uncharted game but it's enjoyable and not too long.

If you are an uncharted fan it's worth it on sale.

It was the first game I bought on the Vita. Personally it did not capture the essence of Uncharted at all. It was like someone put together a game around a set of Vita features and key Uncharted elements. Killzone Mercenary on the other hand delivered something unique and the best Killzone game since 2.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
$40 for Far Cry 4 Gold Edition, Mad Max and Shadow of the Beast is damn good for me.

HF2014

Dang, Diablo 3 UEE is only $12. I was an idiot and traded 12 games at once to GS, but I should have stayed with the bare minimum and split it into two, because I could get $18.70 in credit for my copy... Digital would work a lot better for me with that game.

This is definitely a much better sale than that Flash a week ago.

Its the PS3 version on special. The PS4 version have been removed from store and updated with the new version.

thoughts on littlebigplanet3?

still have nostalgia thinking back on the first game , its charm and music. I did not like 2 at all. Felt too gimmicky.

PudieRSC

thoughts on littlebigplanet3?

still have nostalgia thinking back on the first game , its charm and music. I did not like 2 at all. Felt too gimmicky.

I've tried all the LPB games because I want to like them, but I just can't. There's some creative levels being made, but I something just feels missing.

gogosox82

Finally broke down and got GTA V. If this shit goes on sale for $19.99 next week, I'm gonna throw a fit since that was the price I was waiting for. Also got Mad Max, Rachet and Clank, GOW 3 remastered, and Giana Sisters.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You have to start from the beginning the OG save will not work with the GOTY. That said it is totally worth it.

It's also all new trophies, though.

autoduelist

Also NAtURAL DOCtRINE... I remember looking at this one before... any redeeming qualities? It looks like a better Valkyria game than the one that releases today :p Edit: looks fun for $5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKJn0-UKkHo But I would prefer vita version...and that is the only version NOT on sale... :/

Did anyone play Natural Doctrine? $6 seems a decent price but I don't think I've even heard anyone talk about it.

Many people hate this game. I think it's the best SRPG ever made, and it's my favorite vita game. It's very much a love it or hate it game [and i love it so much i don't mind writing up a new essay on it every time it comes up for sale and someone asks]. If you like tactical mechanics and complex moves, it might be your jam.

First off, it plays nothing like a traditional SRPG, and if you play it like one you'll die quickly and the game will seem unfair because you won't understand why your characters get pummeled into mush when you do standard SRPG mechanics like trying to bait one enemy at a time, etc. You can't overpower the game by creating a super OP warrior, or anything like that, you just need to learn the systems.

The key factor in the game are two techniques called linking and chaining. Effectively, if one of your characters does something near another character with a complementary action, that 2nd char can 'chain' and perform an action too. This means a single 'turn' can look almost like a football play with lots of actions, plus visual modifiers for all sorts of tactical considerations [you gain variable modifiers for flanking, distance, terrain, and all sorts of other things]. It is literally tactical bliss for me. The turns look crazy to a newcomer, but once it clicks it all makes sense.

One thing that many reviewers [and people who only touched it and gave up on it] misunderstand is how to properly chain/link. Even though you have the option to, never [unless absolute emergency] chain a player who still has a turn that round [it uses up their turn]. Instead, plan it out so you're constantly chaining only chars who already moved that round. So A moves. Then B moves, chains A. Then C moves and chains A and B. So, with a team of 5, your last character can cause your 4 other characters to have an extra move [and your first moved char might have performed 5 actions] if planned well. If you do not take advantage of this system, combo-ing in increasingly wild moves each turn throughout a round, you will not survive. Lots of reviewers were clearly chaining chars that hadn't moved yet that round, critically injuring their ability to win [instead of getting bonus action/moves, they were effectively losing actions/moves].

Another reason some reviewers couldn't handle it is that the AI is really solid. You might be fighting 10 lowly goblin grunts, but those grunts -do- know how to chain/link really well. So all of a sudden that character you left undefended [traditional SRPG baiting does not work] will get gang stomped as they get pummeled by a swarm of goblins [that first goblin alone will get chained by all those other nearby goblins, getting a ton of attacks in a single round].

Because the game stomps you for not understanding it completely, it got a lot of dings for being overtly difficult. That's half true -- sure, you need to learn a new combat system, but once you do, the game is very fair. You end up moving much more 'realistically' than other srpgs, keeping a tight formation, playing into your other characters powers and skill countdowns, never over extending.

There's also a really solid MP version of the game, but since it's likely hard to find an opponent nowadays I won't go into depth on it.

TLDR -- if you like hardcore tactical/strategic games with complex systems and turns that look like awesome football plays full of flanking and other considerations, jump on it. If the above doesn't sound like your thing, it isn't.

.J.

Banned
Definitely lots of good stuff in here. Wish I'd held off on a few things prior, because they're cheaper now than when I bought them, but that's the gamble.

The one thing that grinds my gears is that the Driveclub Bikes standalone is on sale, but if you already supported Driveclub and purchased it early, you don't get a discount on the same content as an add-on. Just can't justify buying that stuff for $15 to futz around with it.

HeeHo

Tales of Zesteria for $15? Seems decent?

Well, it's a good value for playtime compared to dollars but it's honestly not worth the time with the amount of good stuff already out. I felt that even when I played it more than a year ago too.

blackjaw

Well, it's a good value for playtime compared to dollars but it's honestly not worth the time with the amount of good stuff already out. I felt that even when I played it more than a year ago too.

Yeah I'm still behind and need to play Horizon and Yakuza 0 next...probably a better use of my limited time

soooo good?

It's a very short action game, just a series of boss fights, designed for replaying. The controls are unique and you should expect the game to give you utterly dismal rankings until you get used to them.

It's also Mega Man-ish - you want to beat the bosses in a particular order.

Van Bur3n

Uncharted games on sale for PS3, but no Nathan Drake collection for PS4?

The fuck is this shit? Surely I missed something going through all nine of those pages of sales for worthless games.

breakfuss

Definitely lots of good stuff in here. Wish I'd held off on a few things prior, because they're cheaper now than when I bought them, but that's the gamble.

The one thing that grinds my gears is that the Driveclub Bikes standalone is on sale, but if you already supported Driveclub and purchased it early, you don't get a discount on the same content as an add-on. Just can't justify buying that stuff for $15 to futz around with it.

Is this really the case?! That is complete and utter bullshit. Welp, won't be buying it.

Still no Just Cause 3 on sale.

But I bit on Fallout 4 for $20.

Really fun for losing yourself in the wasteland for a while. Driving is great with some upgrades and melee is simple but satisfyingly crunchy.

But repetition will get to you, so pace yourself.

Pretty much a perfect summation.

I was in the mood for a decent hack and slash to play while listening to podcasts, surprised to see diablo 3 is still so expensive! Dat Blizzard Tax I guess

Mozendo

This is what I got so far
vdSpEhS.png

Which PS3 Ratchet and Clank games are worth it? Just got Tools of Destruction physical today.

Top Bottom