• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsofts E3 2019 Media Briefing Will Be 2 Hours Long

Gamernyc78

Banned
I wasn't moving the goalposts, just a misunderstanding. And don't you misunderstand, I am a huge xbox fanyboy. As an ex-Sega fanboy, Microsoft carried the torch after the Dreamcast died.

Anyway, Microsoft have always padded out E3's with 3rd party games. Who hasn't? My point was that there's no point in banging on about Microsoft having amazing E3's showing game after game, if those games are just coming to PC or PS instead. It's why they haven't had a great E3 In years; there are no/very few 'fresh' surprises. I was looking forward to scale bound and sunset overdrive. It's just a shame one was cancelled and the other didn't 'click'.

Microsoft are the best there's ever been in the gaming industry, when Microsoft want to be the best and don't focus on selling what they think we want.

Microsoft never been the best at anything and definitely never in the E3 space. They best they ever were at E3 was basically showing the holy trinity every single year then boasting tht they show games that actually come out lol after showing it three years in a row lol

Please tht make or break bs ppl been saying for years. They have their hardcore fans and tht won't change regardless of the output.
Their hardcore fans are dropping like flies.

I have never witnessed a turn in favour of consoles as fast as i did at the start of this gen. My friends younger brother (who was 14) had an xbox. All his mates had an xbox, they laughed at the PlayStation. As soon as the Ps4 was announced they all jumped onto the PS bandwagon and haven't gone back.

When i asked them if they would get another xbox, they said never.

If Microsoft put one foot wrong now, they are in the biggest trouble they've ever been in.

Microsoft never been the best at anything and definitely never in the E3 space. They best they ever were at E3 was basically showing the holy trinity every single year then boasting tht they show games that actually come out lol after showing it three years in a row lol
I disagree.

from the launch of the OG Xbox to 2009/2010, Microsoft dominated the gaming space with the best and most unique games. Xbox live was knocking it out of the park, they had millions of fans, hell even the RROD didn't hurt them as much as some people make out.

IMO, they should have launched a new xbox in 2011 and not coasted on their laurels with Kinect and a dwindling fanbase.

They've lost their spark and passion and I don't know if they can get it back?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Can we all just agree on this...

There’s going to be some shit, and some awesome, from every big player, regardless or who, what or when.

Bloody hell people, insert your game damn please be excited gif already.

Aintitcool

Banned
E3 is official now, one of the console makers announced a conference so hold on to the hype train.

I expect great things from the Halo Infinity showing and some sick teasers to next gen games.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I disagree.

from the launch of the OG Xbox to 2009/2010, Microsoft dominated the gaming space with the best and most unique games. Xbox live was knocking it out of the park, they had millions of fans, hell even the RROD didn't hurt them as much as some people make out.

IMO, they should have launched a new xbox in 2011 and not coasted on their laurels with Kinect and a dwindling fanbase.

They've lost their spark and passion and I don't know if they can get it back?

I respect your opinion. I think this dominance by Sony has bred a very retaliatory stance from Microsoft, one that will benefit us all greatly. I look forward to what they bring forward. Lately thy have been making the right moves. New Xbox is going to offer alot for the money imo and I'll probably buy it.

Last edited:
I wasn't moving the goalposts, just a misunderstanding. And don't you misunderstand, I am a huge xbox fanyboy. As an ex-Sega fanboy, Microsoft carried the torch after the Dreamcast died.

Anyway, Microsoft have always padded out E3's with 3rd party games. Who hasn't? My point was that there's no point in banging on about Microsoft having amazing E3's showing game after game, if those games are just coming to PC or PS instead. It's why they haven't had a great E3 In years; there are no/very few 'fresh' surprises. I was looking forward to scale bound and sunset overdrive. It's just a shame one was cancelled and the other didn't 'click'.

Microsoft are the best there's ever been in the gaming industry, when Microsoft want to be the best and don't focus on selling what they think we want.
Eh that's fair. Also, while I won't debate you on whether MS putting all xbox games on pc is a good or a bad thing, personally I don't think it really changes much. There isn't going to be a mass exodus of people doing away with their consoles to play all their xbox games on pc. Most likely, it will be avid pc gamers who were never interested in buying an xbox before regardless. There will be a small percentage of xbox fans who also play games on pc that will say bye to the console, but i suspect it will be a drop in the bucket compared to the overall xbox player base. That's why I'm not really bothered by the whole pc thing, but that's a can of worms I'm not interested in opening even though i sort of just did lol

I respect your opinion. I think this dominance by Sony has bred a very retaliatory stance from Microsoft, one that will benefit us all greatly. I look forward to what they bring forward. Lately thy have been making the right moves. New Xbox is going to offer alot for the money imo and I'll probably buy it.

Microsoft have never done well in any media as the retaliator. They're always best being the innovator. Unfortunately for them, those innovations are usually five years too early lol. I think if they wanted to focus on games and 'winning'/dominating the market share, they could do. They just spend too much money, effort and time in the 'fringes' and not on the main subject.

The Xbox One X is a good console, but it's not an xbox one. It will be interesting to see the nextbox and I agree, I think it will be very powerful.

Eh that's fair. Also, while I won't debate you on whether MS putting all xbox games on pc is a good or a bad thing, personally I don't think it really changes much. There isn't going to be a mass exodus of people doing away with their consoles to play all their xbox games on pc. Most likely, it will be avid pc gamers who were never interested in buying an xbox before regardless. There will be a small percentage of xbox fans who also play games on pc that will say bye to the console, but i suspect it will be a drop in the bucket compared to the overall xbox player base. That's why I'm not really bothered by the whole pc thing, but that's a can of worms I'm not interested in opening even though i sort of just did lol

Very true and on the whole people migrating to PC won't be an issue. However, the main issue is this; Mouse and Keyboard. I won't play PC online due to cheaters and M+KB. Now Microsoft and Sony have pushed it. Using a controller, even an Elite, vs M+KB in fortnite or apex or any other twitch shooter is absolutely pointless. It ruins online gaming.

IMO, Microsoft have always had the better platform for multiplayers. I don't know why and I still feel that's true. If they push away people from playing online and make gamers migrate towards single-player experiences, they will drift over to Sony, who have always had the best Single-player experiences.

So, yeah PC isn't a big issue but it could cause an unwanted side-effect that sinks the Microsoft ship.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

It depends, on what they talk about... if Microsoft wants to talk about games coming to other store platforms or devices, I'm all ears.

If they talk about this nonsense for long periods of time:

- Games as a Promise (GaaP) :messenger_tears_of_joy:
- Xbox as a Service Platform
- The infinite power of da cloud
- 10 minute discussion about their failed Microsoft Store and how they are going to fix it
- UWP games from the Store
- Game Streaming
- Diversity
- Inclusion
- 20 minutes devoted to Game Pass which is just a rental service, like having GameFly up on stage

Than I'm out.
They either have good games to show which can be played natively on other devices/platforms or they don't. The rest of their nonsense isn't going to work.

Gamernyc78

Banned
It depends, on what they talk about... if Microsoft wants to talk about games coming to other store platforms or devices, I'm all ears.

If they talk about this nonsense for long periods of time:

- Games as a Promise (GaaP) :messenger_tears_of_joy:
- Xbox as a Service Platform
- The infinite power of da cloud
- 10 minute discussion about their failed Microsoft Store and how they are going to fix it
- UWP games from the Store
- Game Streaming
- Diversity
- Inclusion
- 20 minutes devoted to Game Pass which is just a rental service, like having GameFly up on stage

Than I'm out.
They either have good games to show which can be played natively on other devices/platforms or they don't. The rest of their nonsense isn't going to work.

Gaap 👀🤔😭😭😭😭😭

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The reality is that Xbox has lost this gen badly, and that has serious ramifications for business. Particularly third-party developers and publishers. Right now, the challenge is getting them onboard on an equal footing to what they offer to Sony, Nintendo, and the upcoming streaming challengers like Stadia.

Insufficient time has passed since they made their acquistions to have much ready to show, not to mention that conventional wisdom indicates that especially in the case of new IP's, its better to establish them at the start of a new gen over the tail of the other.

I think people need to temper their expectations because no matter what MS have in the bag, now isn't the time to show it. Its just not going to help that much.

Expect an XCloud blow-out, where they expand the reach of their current services and options further outside of the console space, because that's where the competitive fire is.

Three

Yup it's just character skins and they don't even look out of place with the game unlike other FPS games.

At 8:17 he talks about how character skins in Halo 5 and Overwatch don't look out of place with the game. And they are still removing them for Halo Infinite. But in the end character skins are just cosmetics.

Req packs were more than cosmetics. They are not just cosmetics. Not sure why you are perpetuating the idea that they are just cosmetics. They were loot box crap single use power ups too.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
I said it will be the “killzone 2 reveal” of e3 events. I stand by that. More smoke and mirrors than an amusement park.

Riven326

Banned
You know, I've drifted away from Xbox this generation. It was my main game machine for over ten years. It would be nice to see a return to form. But with the games as a service direction Microsoft is going in, I just don't see it.

Not that things are much better with PlayStation. But they do have some damn good exclusives and I like their consfole software, UI and such, more than Xbox.

I have a feeling Microsoft is going to get bogged down by the cloud and how much things must change. Most people don't want change. They just want the next evolution of the hardware.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't feel like I'm part of the target demographic anyomre for Microsoft. I feel like they shifted focus late in the 360 era and it became obvious when the Xbox One was first revealed.

Romulus

I'm hoping they mention VR as an option. Phil said he didn't like wires, well know wireless VR tech is here. Forza in VR would be great, even with a wire.

I'm hoping they mention VR as an option. Phil said he didn't like wires, well know wireless VR tech is here. Forza in VR would be great, even with a wire.

I predict Microsoft punts VR from XBox this generation and has it only for Windows 10 PCs. No need to muddy the waters when there is still plenty to perfect in traditional gaming. F.e, XBox is positioning itself to be the premier 'Indie' console going forward as it seems Sony has dropped the ball there.

Mattyp

Gold Member

VR is pointless, but unless it goes wireless it will continue to be even more so. I don't think we'll see any Microsoft VR for now, want to plug in any third party headset into your next xbox? Go ahead. Outside of that I don't see them wasting their time with it. Even PS VR the most uptaken VR is shit levels.

Romulus

VR is pointless, but unless it goes wireless it will continue to be even more so. I don't think we'll see any Microsoft VR for now, want to plug in any third party headset into your next xbox? Go ahead. Outside of that I don't see them wasting their time with it. Even PS VR the most uptaken VR is shit levels.

I just, completely disagree. As a huge Forza fan, Dirt Rally and Wipeout PSVR have been complete game changers for me, even not being a fan of those specific racing genres.

Going back to a TV or monitor without VR depth perception feels like stepping back 30 years in time.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I think we will soon see a Xbox VR. They are still frequently updating mixed reality.

They are slowly porting the whole Windows into VR.

Last edited:
To be fair, they probably have a lot to talk about. They have known games that people are eager to see more of (Battletoads, Ori, Halo, Gears). There is a next gen console that they may or may not talk about. There was a ton of studio acquisitions and perhaps they'll announce more. Probably some games that are in the works that they'll finally announce like Fable. Plus new game announcements that we don't know anything about. I'm still interested in seeing more of Void Bastards, Tunic, and dare I say The Last Night. And then we all know there will be a lot of 3rd party game trailers, but I'm honestly okay with that. Just because it isn't an exclusive doesn't make a new game coming out any less interesting.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It’s been many years since I’ve owned an Xbox console but MS has great E3 presentations and I’m really looking forward to it. Actually I think they have the best E3 show in terms of both presentation and content. Can’t wait to see what gets announced.

Hopefully they talk about next gen some too.

Last edited:
To be fair, they probably have a lot to talk about. They have known games that people are eager to see more of (Battletoads, Ori, Halo, Gears). There is a next gen console that they may or may not talk about. There was a ton of studio acquisitions and perhaps they'll announce more. Probably some games that are in the works that they'll finally announce like Fable. Plus new game announcements that we don't know anything about. I'm still interested in seeing more of Void Bastards, Tunic, and dare I say The Last Night. And then we all know there will be a lot of 3rd party game trailers, but I'm honestly okay with that. Just because it isn't an exclusive doesn't make a new game coming out any less interesting.

I am so upset about the Last Night situation. I still believe SJWs are trying to kill this game.

Varteras

Gold Member
They have a hell of a mountain to climb. That's for sure. For their sake I hope this isn't another E3 2013 where they show a ton of games but most of them ended up being lame, half-baked, or nowhere near as good as their predecessors. I was so stoked for Crimson Dragon and Killer Instinct. The former was crap and the latter took two seasons to get good. I don't think I can cross my fingers any harder for Halo Infinite. I was such a big fan of the franchise but 343 just hasn't managed to bring back that magic yet. I watched The Fall of Reach last night and found myself wishing Halo was still as great as it used to be.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I just, completely disagree. As a huge Forza fan, Dirt Rally and Wipeout PSVR have been complete game changers for me, even not being a fan of those specific racing genres.

Going back to a TV or monitor without VR depth perception feels like stepping back 30 years in time.

I try to 100% each Forza and Dirt so glad to see we love the same thing, even with every personal experience I've had of VR it just haven't been for me yet at all in the slightest and I spend stupid money on stupid niche things sometimes. I'm glad the option is there for you to enjoy it but since we all love different things, I just don't see a Microsoft branded headset until they can make them wireless.

Atrus

Gold Member
Sounds like Xbox Scarlett is inbound for 2019. I wonder what the buzzword will be this time around. Cloud?

Romulus

I try to 100% each Forza and Dirt so glad to see we love the same thing, even with every personal experience I've had of VR it just haven't been for me yet at all in the slightest and I spend stupid money on stupid niche things sometimes. I'm glad the option is there for you to enjoy it but since we all love different things, I just don't see a Microsoft branded headset until they can make them wireless.

I like your idea about using my own headset too with MS products. That might work for them down the road.

Pallas

Damn, I hope it's good. Hopefully they take this opportunity to show off some next-gen gameplay for Xbone2 before Sony can show anything. It would set them up to be the first to show what is coming up and what is possible on the new hardware. That's assuming Sony doesn't undercut everyone with a big reveal before E3 or some crazy move.

If they just show more 3rd party Assassin's Creed and Forza gameplay for Xbone, this is going to be a long 2 hours.

It would be pretty nice but I’m expecting nothing more than a soft spec reveal and maybe even the actual names of their next consoles. I think it’s probably a bit too early and maybe slightly unrealistic to expect gameplay yet from NextBox. Maybe 2020 E3?

Last edited:

zenspider

I can get with this, until I remember those "streamer" presentations where they have actors who talk like YouTube to each other over footage.

Hoping for an interesting kick-off to the next generation and some fire to that Project Great Rune (FROM/GRRM) smoke.

I'll catch the highlights.

LordOfChaos

Activision always appears in Sony conference, EA and Ubisoft have their own. They sometimes do appear in Microsoft conference but its usually minor. I dont think anyone considers last years Microsoft conference as being dominated by EA and Ubisoft.
Actually, lots of stuff this year will be from Microsoft and less from 3rd party.
D7MxBHeWkAAkVuu

What could "Halifax Takehome" be? Relevant to my interests, but the keywords in quotes don't seem to exist on google and therefore in the universe

DilWSTS

Hopefully not to bloated. rewatched last years conference and KH3 and Division definitely dragged on. I understand spending longer on first party games but i guess there wasnt many to show.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
What could "Halifax Takehome" be? Relevant to my interests, but the keywords in quotes don't seem to exist on google and therefore in the universe
Halifax is Gears 5.
Seems like Halifax is the codename for Gears 5.
D7RpjbKUwAANQTT
Rest are codenames based on Windows Phone games
What if I told you a lot of those placeholders are Windows Phone Games ?
Or DLC's of some obscure Xbox game
Miami Street is also a placeholder.

DanielsM

Banned

I have never witnessed a turn in favour of consoles as fast as i did at the start of this gen. My friends younger brother (who was 14) had an xbox. All his mates had an xbox, they laughed at the PlayStation. As soon as the Ps4 was announced they all jumped onto the PS bandwagon and haven't gone back.

If Microsoft put one foot wrong now, they are in the biggest trouble they've ever been in.

I actually agree with most of your posts but disagree with your first couple of comments here though. Despite a lot of negative fan feedback in the 2013-2014 range, sales were actually much higher than Xbox 360 initial sales, it really wasn't off PS4 rate by much either. I don't look at as in trouble, they are going to have to change and Nadella will change them.... they'll have to go where the customers are i.e. other platforms and devices, not the other way around.

Xbox as solely a hardware is long gone. The PR slogan, "We have the most powerful console every built" doesn't mean squat. They need to change and change rapidly i.e. turn into a traditional publisher. If they have some good games that they will offer on other devices or platforms, than that is good, if they push all this other nonsense.... the gaming world is passing them by. and rightful so... some of this is a disaster on top of a disaster i.e. Games for Windows and the Microsoft Store.

Last edited:

There have been very few if any back to back generational winners. It all could change with this up coming gen, but history proves otherwise.

I actually agree with most of your posts but disagree with your first couple of comments here though. Despite a lot of negative fan feedback in the 2013-2014 range, sales were actually much higher than Xbox 360 initial sales, it really wasn't off PS4 rate by much either. I don't look at as in trouble, they are going to have to change and Nadella will change them.... they'll have to go where the customers are i.e. other platforms and devices, not the other way around.

Xbox as solely a hardware is long gone. The PR slogan, "We have the most powerful console every built" doesn't mean squat. They need to change and change rapidly i.e. turn into a traditional publisher. If they have some good games that they will offer on other devices or platforms, than that is good, if they push all this other nonsense.... the gaming world is passing them by. and rightful so... some of this is a disaster on top of a disaster i.e. Games for Windows and the Microsoft Store.
If MS places their software on other platforms while maintaining their own hardware as a proof of concept of how well a game can look and play I think would be the best bet. Similar to how the PC market is.

Last edited:

Pantz

Gold Member
Pre E3 Recommendation: Watch this orchestra play Halo music with spacial audio on a VR headset if you have one.

Guaranteed hype tears.

DanielsM

Banned
If MS places their software on other platforms while maintaining their own hardware as a proof of concept of how well a game can look and play I think would be the best bet. Similar to how the PC market is.

Hm. I'm not going to say you are wrong, cuz I kind of see where you are going with it, kind of.... .and it might matter how it plays out. The issue is.... why have Xbox as a Hardware at all, I mean, that is basically where they have been for years.... play on Windows 10, hopefully you buy UWP/MS Store. The issue is, nobody is going to go to the Store, generally speaking. The issue I have is why would the big publishers continue to target Xbox Next? That base will most probably be shrinking further, its like investing in Windows Phone in 2016.... everyone but the most rabid fan knew it was a goner. Also, will they release the ability to play Xbox games on Win 10?

That's why I say they need to change quickly to even having a chance of being a publisher type situation.... limited audience unless they expand devices/platforms.... Halo on Steam is probably a good start... the other issue is MS Store/UWp.... I mean what do they do with it? I have no idea.... its dead man walking, but the thing is... it was never really alive to be dead.

You might be right, I see what you are saying.... I think of this way though..... walk left side of the road, safe, walk right side of the road, safe.... walk in the middle of the road... sooner or later.... squash just like grape.

Last edited:

How many gamers in 2013/2014 vs 2005?

Then why tout the xbox one x as the most powerful console ever built?

I don't totally disagree with what you're saying and I know where you're coming from, it's just very thin ice to stand on. Like you say, Microsoft are in trouble. They're in trouble because they're having an identity crisis. Do they want to be a publisher, an online streaming service or a console maker? While they flip-flop between identities they ignore what their core fanbase want; exciting, unique and interesting games.

Top Bottom