• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsofts E3 2019 Media Briefing Will Be 2 Hours Long

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Huh? I said third-party games, so the usual crap from EA, Activision, Ubisoft etc.
Activision always appears in Sony conference, EA and Ubisoft have their own. They sometimes do appear in Microsoft conference but its usually minor. I dont think anyone considers last years Microsoft conference as being dominated by EA and Ubisoft.
Actually, lots of stuff this year will be from Microsoft and less from 3rd party.
D7MxBHeWkAAkVuu

Last edited:

Codes 208

Activision always appears in Sony conference, EA and Ubisoft have their own. They sometimes do appear in Microsoft conference but its usually minor. I dont think anyone considers last years Microsoft conference as being dominated by EA and Ubisoft.
Actually, lots of stuff this year will be from Microsoft and less from 3rd party.
Not that I doubt you but Activision was actually Xbox focused prior to Sony getting marketing rights to cod and destiny. EA has also been also strongly Xbox this gen and going by ea and respawn’s twitter I’m guessing fallen Jedi will be shown off at MS’ event this year.
As an xbox fan, this word 'game' you mention is alien to me. Do you mean 'game', like what the 3rd party's show?:messenger_savoring:

Microsoft haven't shown anything to tickle my fancy at their E3's lately. Unveiling that Porsche just goes to show how out of touch they are.

Microsoft and Molyneaux have a lot in common.
Plenty of good games were shown off at MS event last year, so many people here went nuts when they showed off cyberpunk. Meanwhile, my current goty (sekiro) was revealed at MS’ event last year.

Reactions: Isa

Bernkastel

Not that I doubt you but Activision was actually Xbox focused prior to Sony getting marketing rights to cod and destiny. EA has also been also strongly Xbox this gen and going by ea and respawn’s twitter I’m guessing fallen Jedi will be shown off at MS’ event this year.
Dont know how thats relevant, Activision has marketing deals with Sony now. Also, EA and Ubisoft have their own conference.

Aren't cyberpunk and Sekiro 3rd party?

I'm not a man who's only interested in dem exclusives, but I like to see unique output from each console maker. If they don't have unique and fresh titles from 1st party studios then I don't see what they bring to the table?

Microsoft greatest achievement this gen was the elite controller. By far the greatest controller ever made.

Codes 208

Dont know how thats relevant, Activision has marketing deals with Sony now. Also, EA and Ubisoft have their own conference.
You said always. It wasn’t always (which was my sole point) as for ea and Ubisoft they have their own conferences sure, but more often than not they also have a section showing off a game or three during the console holder’s event. Which a lot of the time was handled like an exclusive so I wouldn’t really call them minor. But I digress.
Microsoft greatest achievement this gen was the elite controller. By far the greatest controller ever made.
...you’re not wrong.

Aren't cyberpunk and Sekiro 3rd party?

I'm not a man who's only interested in dem exclusives, but I like to see unique output from each console maker. If they don't have unique and fresh titles from 1st party studios then I don't see what they bring to the table?

I hope this year at E3 they reveal the Elite V2 with the adjustable tension analog sticks.

As an xbox fan, this word 'game' you mention is alien to me. Do you mean 'game', like what the 3rd party's show?:messenger_savoring:

Microsoft haven't shown anything to tickle my fancy at their E3's lately. Unveiling that Porsche just goes to show how out of touch they are.

Microsoft and Molyneaux have a lot in common.
Well now you're just moving the goal posts. First it was MS hasn't had a good E3 in years when in fact the last 2 have been basically non-stop footage of games. Regardless of actual exclusives, their presentations have not consisted of boring power point slides lol.

How many of those games did you end up playing?

Just saying, they could show 100 games but if only 3 to 5 of them are any good then it's kind of pointless to brag about numbers.
The argument is that their presentations were not boring. But I'll take 3 to 5 good games shown at an E3 conference any day. This E3 I can think of Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Halo Infinite, Battletoads, Void Bastards, Tunic, Gears 5, and hopefully Fable and some other announcements.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, I hope it's good. Hopefully they take this opportunity to show off some next-gen gameplay for Xbone2 before Sony can show anything. It would set them up to be the first to show what is coming up and what is possible on the new hardware. That's assuming Sony doesn't undercut everyone with a big reveal before E3 or some crazy move.

If they just show more 3rd party Assassin's Creed and Forza gameplay for Xbone, this is going to be a long 2 hours.

GamerEDM

Banned
if the Xbox Scarlet wants any hope to compete with PS5 they must release during 2019 not 2020. An e3 announcement for such would blow the socks off everybody.

XBox - Greatness Awaits

2017 - was all time low, bad, mocked relentlessly by Playstation fans on social media
2018 - was amazing with the new studios
2019 - megaton, even this time Crapgamerreviews will sound legit

I think for many people this is a make or break type deal for them and MS. Either they bring the next gen gaming goods, or a lot will move on.

It’s true games take time, and sadly that ship has long sailed for this generation. But there’s been enough time, with enough acquisitions, for some early next gen preview and news.

I would be shocked if they don’t hit it out the park.

Of course, they could show 100 games, all original, all AAA, and it still won’t be enough for some people here.
Won't be enough for me. I have too much of a backlog, and own 500+ games on ps4, many digital. When I buy next Gen it will be with ps5 so my games carry over. I also own switch and good pcs. Buying a 2nd console is a waste. Switch is not a console to me but replaces my vita/3ds for next Gen.

For me Sony would have to do something crazy for me to disregard ps5 like, no backwards compatibility with ps4, streaming only console, $599 us dollars, or make Anita Sarkisian the official arbitor of games being releases or mascot. Now if Sony does any of those, I'll check out ms offerings.

I do hope it's good though for people interested,

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They probably bumped it up due to the number of third party devs asking for E3 spotlights, which MS asked E3 organizers if they can accommodate. MS and Sony split the third party promos, but since Sony bailed ship, it's MS unless they are big enough to have their own show.

That's unfortunately the sad thing about Sony. Every generation they are all about indies and promoting third party games to fill the gaps when the first party games aren't ready yet. The second they are, suddenly third party games get kicked to the curb with last year's E3 being that god awful 4 game drama class. So much for helping all the devs who help promote PS systems in the early stages. Now for this E3, they totally bail ship.

You'd think the leader in console gaming would help out their partners for helping keep the PS brand strong. This will be two years in a row of zero third party support at E3.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I think for many people this is a make or break type deal for them and MS. Either they bring the next gen gaming goods, or a lot will move on.

It’s true games take time, and sadly that ship has long sailed for this generation. But there’s been enough time, with enough acquisitions, for some early next gen preview and news.

Of course, they could show 100 games, all original, all AAA, and it still won’t be enough for some people here.

" still won’t be enough for some people here." The fact that releasing new AAA IP has not been a staple thing and that this E3 could be the first we see many new AAA IP might be the reason why in the past it wasn't enough for those people. They had great reason to not care then and to be cautious now. Fact is, MS should have prepared for this generation so its hard to open up a safe space, give a participation trophy and give a pat on the back for late work when other students have been on honor roll and completing the same task on time and normally enough that its expected and not some "wait and see".

So I'll be ok with what MS shows if they indeed actually show lots of new AAA IP. They should have NEVER been throwing out that word "exclusive" when they decided to go 3rd party and start putting games on more then 1 system. Its why many have to scale back expectations as MS sat back pretending as if what was going on was normal and expect. So I do hope they get their act together and have no issue buying any new IP they make if it looks good (on PC of course), but the reasons many had issues with MS is legit and warranted. The fact that lots of that new AAA IP is likely for the next XB speaks volumes into how they treated consumers this gen.

It would be like EA telling you they bought a whole bunch of teams and this time is "different" and they are now in a better place. Also known as trying to do what many publishers have been doing the whole gen without need to tell people that they are doing it.... Would that sound like the issue is REALLY folks who wouldn't see any changes as "enough" or a publisher that has a history of short comings? So let the work speak for itself, but don't bash the gamers for mistakes MS made. This shouldn't even be a massive deal for MS, this SHOULD BE HOW THEY HAD ALL THEIR E3s IN THE FIRST PLACE. So it makes sense for many to doubt, worry, question etc. It will take some time for the community to actually trust MS again, but those games need to be announced, released etc before you really see a return to form.

EDMIX

Plenty of good games were shown off at MS event last year, so many people here went nuts when they showed off cyberpunk. Meanwhile, my current goty (sekiro) was revealed at MS’ event last year.

oh I have no issue with the event itself, I'm just going to watch to see games I'm going to just buy on PS4 anyway. Got Sekiro day 1 on PS4 and Cyberpunk already pre-ordered on Amazon. The event has so much focus on 3rd party, with MS being multiplatform now, its an easy watch even if I never plan to buy a XB. If they plan to keep showing 3rd party games and plan to keep putting their games on PC.....I'll still watch as I can still buy what they are showing.

Alx

So much negativity in this thread… people used to be excited for E3 and the anouncement of new stuff, but now half of the reactions to "there will be more of it" is "eh, more trash".
I always watch the MS conferences (part of it because they're compatible with euro timezones). Never regretted it, even if only a handful of games are for me (which is why they show so many, so that there's something for everybody).
I hope they'll have technological showcases too (streaming is a given, VR is unlikely, maybe a surprise ?)

Zannegan

As someone who has sat through hour long presentations that felt interminable and ninety minute ones that seemed to fly by, two hours could be either a blessing or a curse. Here's hoping Microsoft blows the doors off the place and leaves us wanting more.

xool

Here’s hoping 70%+ of it isn’t made up of third party games as it has been in recent years.
oh I have no issue with the event itself, I'm just going to watch to see games I'm going to just buy on PS4 anyway. Got Sekiro day 1 on PS4 and Cyberpunk already pre-ordered on Amazon. The event has so much focus on 3rd party, with MS being multiplatform now, its an easy watch even if I never plan to buy a XB. If they plan to keep showing 3rd party games and plan to keep putting their games on PC.....I'll still watch as I can still buy what they are showing.

This - MS's E3 conference has been a guilty pleasure watching good games get announced I won't be buying on their system. DMC5 too. Then Phil turns up and starts talking about GamePass, cloud, fucking Crackdown3 that has the style of an early gen 360 game, plus 40 minutes of "enabling game communities = world peace". Feel my pain.

I really want them to turn it around though.

[edit - I'll say their indie line up has been better than Sony's though]

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
oh I have no issue with the event itself, I'm just going to watch to see games I'm going to just buy on PS4 anyway. Got Sekiro day 1 on PS4 and Cyberpunk already pre-ordered on Amazon. , its an easy watch even if I never plan to buy a XB.

I don't think Microsoft cares if you choose to play the best third party games of the gen on a inferior system that's up to you as a gamer...

This - MS's E3 conference has been a guilty pleasure watching good games get announced I won't be buying on their system. DMC5 too. Then Phil turns up and starts talking about GamePass, cloud, fucking Crackdown3 that has the style of an early gen 360 game, plus 40 minutes of "enabling game communities = world peace". Feel my pain.

The things you complain about are why people enjoy watching xbox events, and why they support the platform. You're watching Microsoft's event not Sony or Nintendo's. They will always show what they are working on because their events are targeted towards their customers.

Elenchus

Banned
Dominating the biggest video game trade show of the year but still behind Sony and Nintendo in sales.
Won't be enough for me. I have too much of a backlog, and own 500+ games on ps4, many digital. When I buy next Gen it will be with ps5 so my games carry over. I also own switch and good pcs. Buying a 2nd console is a waste. Switch is not a console to me but replaces my vita/3ds for next Gen.

For me Sony would have to do something crazy for me to disregard ps5 like, no backwards compatibility with ps4, streaming only console, $599 us dollars, or make Anita Sarkisian the official arbitor of games being releases or mascot. Now if Sony does any of those, I'll check out ms offerings.

I do hope it's good though for people interested,

If you have no interest why are you on this thread? Honest question.

Elenchus

Banned
So much negativity in this thread… people used to be excited for E3 and the anouncement of new stuff, but now half of the reactions to "there will be more of it" is "eh, more trash".
I always watch the MS conferences (part of it because they're compatible with euro timezones). Never regretted it, even if only a handful of games are for me (which is why they show so many, so that there's something for everybody).
I hope they'll have technological showcases too (streaming is a given, VR is unlikely, maybe a surprise ?)

Most of these folks aren’t gamers. They’re politicians. Here to campaign for their party. Haven’t beaten a game in years but have all the time in the world to cry about wanting to “see” more content. Ignore ‘em.

MS’s E3 was incredible and this one looks to be even bigger! Love the way they keep pushing through all the negativity. That’s called perseverance. Nerds on GAF who have already given up on their own lives aren’t familiar with it.

Bernkastel

What a barefaced fucking lie this is
Yup it's just character skins and they don't even look out of place with the game unlike other FPS games.

At 8:17 he talks about how character skins in Halo 5 and Overwatch don't look out of place with the game. And they are still removing them for Halo Infinite. But in the end character skins are just cosmetics.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Excited for Halo Infinite and Gears 5

I suppose these two game will be the big talking point on microsoft conference

Last edited:
Well now you're just moving the goal posts. First it was MS hasn't had a good E3 in years when in fact the last 2 have been basically non-stop footage of games. Regardless of actual exclusives, their presentations have not consisted of boring power point slides lol.

I wasn't moving the goalposts, just a misunderstanding. And don't you misunderstand, I am a huge xbox fanyboy. As an ex-Sega fanboy, Microsoft carried the torch after the Dreamcast died.

Anyway, Microsoft have always padded out E3's with 3rd party games. Who hasn't? My point was that there's no point in banging on about Microsoft having amazing E3's showing game after game, if those games are just coming to PC or PS instead. It's why they haven't had a great E3 In years; there are no/very few 'fresh' surprises. I was looking forward to scale bound and sunset overdrive. It's just a shame one was cancelled and the other didn't 'click'.

Microsoft are the best there's ever been in the gaming industry, when Microsoft want to be the best and don't focus on selling what they think we want.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Please tht make or break bs ppl been saying for years. They have their hardcore fans and tht won't change regardless of the output.

Top Bottom