• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's decision to bundle xCloud as part of Games Pass Ultimate is the smartest decision anyone has made in cloud streaming so far

Dory16

Banned
Downstream if old.
From gamesindustry.biz: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...mplement-not-competition-to-next-gen-consoles

This time around there are a lot of different possible futures in the mix, and I'd argue that there's no bigger wildcard in the deck than the role of game streaming. Both Microsoft (with xCloud) and Sony (with PlayStation Now) have embraced the notion of game streaming to some extent, while industry giants NVIDIA and Google are both also pitching for a slice of this as-yet-hypothetical market with GeForce Now and Stadia respectively. Amazon, the world's largest cloud services provider, will probably also want in at some point, perhaps once all of its efforts in the gaming space stop resulting in some form of public tripping over its own feet.

Microsoft's xCloud initiative, which is currently in beta, always seemed like a more moderate and sensible take on the role streaming could play in the future of gaming. Rather than being an attempt to replace powerful consoles or gaming PCs, it is positioned as a kind of filling that goes into the spaces between those devices -- a way to engage with games on your phone, your laptop, or some other device you have with you at a time when it's not possible or convenient to play a game on a console.

That makes an enormous amount of sense. The possibilities it opens up are enormous, especially for future games which actively seek to take advantage of this kind of play-anywhere paradigm, and it allows streaming to function as an extension of consumers' existing experiences rather than an attempt to replace something that's actually working pretty well already.

The one thing that didn't seem to fit together in this scenario -- the puzzle piece that just wouldn't slide into place -- was the business model. The appeal of being able to stream a game to your phone or other device when you're not around your console is clear enough, but convincing consumers to pay a subscription for that functionality always seemed like a hell of an uphill struggle. That makes Microsoft's announcement this week that xCloud isn't actually going to be a separate service at all, and will instead be part and parcel of the Game Pass Ultimate service, into something of a eureka moment.

It goes without saying, I guess, that this isn't the streaming future that technology advocates have dreamed of. There will be some people for whom streaming being reduced to a "snack between meals" will be a bitter disappointment, and the much grander aspirations of something like Google Stadia will continue to find adherents as a consequence. For now, though, Microsoft's decision to turn xCloud into a component of its broader Game Pass strategy is by far the most realistic and promising move any firm has made with game streaming technology -- a move that fully acknowledges the limitations of streaming, both commercial and technological, while still keeping the door open to the opportunities and benefits it can provide down the line.

It remains to be seen how other players -- and potential players -- in the game streaming sector will respond to this move. It's arguably a splash of cold water on the plans of other companies; Game Pass with xCloud built in is a value proposition that few of them are in a position to rival even if they wanted to.

As with several other aspects of the run-up to the next generation, we end up looking to Sony for a response rather than a lead.
The firm hasn't been forthcoming about how it sees PlayStation Now fitting into its next-gen plans, and while there's some potential to the notion of a kind of "retro" service that allows people to access the extensive PlayStation back-catalogue over streaming, for example, it's not clear whether there's really an audience for that independently of the existing audience for PlayStation Plus. This suggests that a similar merger of services could well be in the future on Sony's side of town as well.

At least with this announcement, one more piece of the puzzle slides into place. Streaming is absolutely going to be a part of the next generation of gaming, but it takes its place as a cautious evolution rather than the revolutionary overthrow of local processing power some few had expected. In many ways, though, this is a more exciting possibility; by making streaming into a feature a large proportion of users will have access to, it allows developers to think about how to leverage that remarkable new portability in the plans for their next-gen titles, rather than merely treating it as a headache of how to make their existing titles playable with bad input lag and video encoding artifacts.

Perhaps, as something complementary to consoles rather than something seeking their overthrow, streaming might deliver a minor revolution of sorts after all.

Last edited:

dwish

Different business model, strategy and value.
How? PSNow is cheaper. Lets you download games to PS4. Lets you stream games when you are away from your PS4. Only thing XCloud has is iOS/Android integration (which PSNow had but dropped).

Dory16

Banned
How? PSNow is cheaper. Lets you download games to PS4. Lets you stream games when you are away from your PS4. Only thing XCloud has is iOS/Android integration (which PSNow had but dropped).
It's very similar actually. I agree that GP Ultimate with Xcloud is a better value though.

You can use Xcloud without owning an Xbox console. It doesn't just turn on your console and uses it as a server, which will obviously have massive technical limitations unless you're inside the house.
Xcloud opens an entire market of people who love game pass but don't have or want an Xbox or a powerful PC.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I never met anyone who enjoyed doing that. The experience is reputed to be sub-par. Mostly it's on mobile devices that the service is lacking, requiring a console and WIFI access.

I am not sure if its much worse/better than Xlcoud on the phone. Ive used both and they both perform about the same. Xcloud for me tended to have better latency but it hiccuped more than Now did for me.

But the point is that the strategies aren't that different. They both are about accessing libraries.

Xcloud is looking to be used with any game at some point and is more about having your library with you wherever you go. It being added to Ultimate makes sense as Microsoft wants you use feel like their library is part of yours.

Where as Now is about subscribing to a library. Now doesnt appear to ever be about playing your own games as they have remote play for that.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Xcloud is looking to be used with any game at some point and is more about having your library with you wherever you go. It being added to Ultimate makes sense as Microsoft wants you use feel like their library is part of yours.

Where as Now is about subscribing to a library. Now doesnt appear to ever be about playing your own games as they have remote play for that.
This is a pretty big distinction, honestly. I would definitely be more interested in PS Now if I could use it to stream my digital copy of Ghost of Tsushima to my phone (not a Sony phone).

With XCloud, I could be playing Halo Infinite on my lunch break, in my car, on my work's free wifi. Or maybe I buy a new game that isn't part of Game Pass, and get to play it that way instead.

Last edited:
Isn't this what Sony does with PSNow? bundle games streaming with the games as a service thingy...

Yay MS invented the wheel AGAIN!!
Where as Now is about subscribing to a library. Now doesn't appear to ever be about playing your own games as they have remote play for that.
Remote play is free on PS4, GamesPass is in part like PSNow... and MS catched up to the ability to stream the games on the service. I tell you next week MS will innovate by inventing the computer mouse or something like that.

Who are all these gamers playing console games on their phones?

I've never seen anyone play on their phones, i've never heard of anyone playing, i've never heard of anyone talking about playing games on their phone. It smells like bullshit to me

Kokoloko85

Who are all these gamers playing console games on their phones?

I've never seen anyone play on their phones, i've never heard of anyone playing, i've never heard of anyone talking about playing games on their phone. It smells like bullshit to me

Its a thing that will change the gaming world didnt you know?
Who wants to play games on mobile said the Xbox and Playstation fans a few years ago.....

Now its THE thing to want. To play and download games on mobiles on pc.......

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Isn't this what Sony does with PSNow? bundle games streaming with the games as a service thingy...

Remote play is free on PS4, GamesPass is in part like PSNow... and MS catched up to the ability to stream the games on the service. I tell you next week MS will innovate by inventing the computer mouse or something like that.
On xbox too. According to the article, the industry is looking for Sony's response to GamePass + Xcloud but unsurprisingly, Sony's fans had it all along.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
This is a pretty big distinction, honestly. I would definitely be more interested in PS Now if I could use it to stream my digital copy of Ghost of Tsushima to my phone (not a Sony phone).

With XCloud, I could be playing Halo Infinite on my lunch break, in my car, on my work's free wifi. Or maybe I buy a new game that isn't part of Game Pass, and get to play it that way instead.
if your home connection is decent just remote play the game, it works really well.

Not requiring an actual console to play is the clear distinction. Including xcloud with gamepass is the clear value. Anyone who tries to blow that off as nothing hasn't taken a close enough look. PSNow has to have players connect to their console and then remain connected during gameplay sessions. Or that is my understanding at least, and please feel free to correct me asap if I'm wrong, which happens often. From what I understand that can complicate coding for game developers and can also increase input lag?

Kokoloko85

I hope this is sarcasm.

I am. I can barely play on my switch let alone a mobile phone.
Switch is in dockmode 90% of the time lol

Dont get me wrong, I get the appeal of cloud and gamepass but people act like its the second coming of Sega and nothing will ever rival it until MS takes over the Video gaming world...

Both game pass and PS now are complimentary services if I can afford them. Not my primary idea for gaming.

Rather buy and own the games I love as a poor person instead of owning nothing after 2 years lol

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I never claimed remote play wasn't free and even said they already have remote play already so I dont know what your point is.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
if your home connection is decent just remote play the game, it works really well.
My download speeds are great but my upload speeds are comparatively terrible. I've used the remote play features on both of my consoles in the past but neither of them have worked anywhere close to as well as the XCloud beta did (or even Stadia on my phone, for that matter).

Another down side to remote play is that my PS4 Pro sounds like a jet engine. Turning it on in the middle of the day and having it blast off while my wife is home usually results in me getting an earful. Somewhat better with the One X (depending on what game I'm playing) but it's still less than ideal for my particular situation.

Tripolygon

Banned
Not requiring an actual console to play is the clear distinction. Including xcloud with gamepass is the clear value. Anyone who tries to blow that off as nothing hasn't taken a close enough look. PSNow has to have players connect to their console and then remain connected during gameplay sessions. Or that is my understanding at least, and please feel free to correct me asap if I'm wrong, which happens often. From what I understand that can complicate coding for game developers and can also increase input lag?
Your understanding is wrong.
spkWaXK.jpg

No PS Now does not support streaming on mobiles but that has been a part of their roadmap from the start.
6azEGYG.jpg

Last edited:
Again it's not about the services but the business model. That's how I know you didn't read.
This business model is copy of what PS Now is currently.
That doesn't change even if I read OP once more.

I'm not saying anything bad about Xcloud or GP, more criticising the hyperbole article, which this thread is based on.
Both Sony and MSFT copy from each other quite freely.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I guess I could see that as quite different. They both are tackling the idea but in slightly different ways in terms of how its structured.

I think in the end the real difference will be Now will about the size of the library vs GP which will be about the quality of the library as it rotates games in and out more frequently and has the 1st party games day 1. (sometimes third as well). Xcloud and Remote Play is basically a wash.

Edit: I guess I didnt realize that when you were to access a version of a game you already own on Xbox/Xcloud, it doesnt have to be on your own hardware where as remote play would. Xloud gives you the option of streaming a game via their servers or your own box where as remote play is limited to your box and your internet upload speed. Thats a pretty big difference.

Last edited:

vkbest

Why would you pay for streaming service, when you can play in your smartphone with remote play and your PS4?

I'm not saying anything bad about Xcloud or GP, more criticising the hyperbole article, which this thread is based on.
So Sony offering downloads makes gamepass ultimate and psnow similar services? Doesn't feel like it. Feels like psnow is a bunch of PS3 games they knew ahead of time they couldn't make backwards compatible and started adding more PS4 games and downloads when gamepass took off. Also can you psnow to your phone?

Its a thing that will change the gaming world didnt you know?
Who wants to play games on mobile said the Xbox and Playstation fans a few years ago.....

Now its THE thing to want. To play and download games on mobiles on pc.......
Playing games on phones is indeed shit, but connecting my phone to the TV in my hotel room and playing xbox games while on shitty business trips is pretty sweet.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
My download speeds are great but my upload speeds are comparatively terrible. I've used the remote play features on both of my consoles in the past but neither of them have worked anywhere close to as well as the XCloud beta did (or even Stadia on my phone, for that matter).

Another down side to remote play is that my PS4 Pro sounds like a jet engine. Turning it on in the middle of the day and having it blast off while my wife is home usually results in me getting an earful. Somewhat better with the One X (depending on what game I'm playing) but it's still less than ideal for my particular situation.
Oh yeah upload speed it the most important part.I'm lucky enough to have a silent ps4 and 300MB/s of upload and the service works really well.My Xcloud experience has been less than ideal with frequent stutters but I know that there's a sony server near me for psnow so it's probably due to proximity and I have no doubt both services will works similarly in the near future.

But both are bad compared to Shadow ,great picture quality, smooth gameplay but it is way more expensive (even if it's cheaper where I live in France than a lot of countries).If you own a lot of games on pc it really good I mostly use it on an ancient laptop that would probably struggle to play pong.

Kokoloko85

Playing games on phones is indeed shit, but connecting my phone to the TV in my hotel room and playing xbox games while on shitty business trips is pretty sweet.

For sure.
It will be even better in half a decade, especially on tablets etc.

Id like Xbox and Playstation to join the handheld market now that the tech has caught up with consoels basically. Just largely downscale the games to fit the resolution and fps etc, take some effects away.
No need for studios to make seperate games for handhelds anymore, just bring over the console library over

Id say get a Switch too for those boring business trips

John254

Banned
Your understanding is wrong.
spkWaXK.jpg

No PS Now does not support streaming on mobiles but that has been a part of their roadmap from the start.
6azEGYG.jpg
Unfortunately, Sony is not willing to give their first party games to PS Now permanently (not even older ones) and because of that it looses to GP+xCloud big time. Being able to play Halo Infinite day one on my console and also on my phone is better then not being able to play The Last of Us: Part II.

And the moment Microsoft will be able to provide also your purchased games through xCloud, it is decided. Unless Sony will give a shit about their service

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Meh; streaming still gonna be a not worth it niche for the businesses trying to sell it IMO.

And a bunch of cost being sunk into GamePass's value that I'll never use is not something that makes me happy as a GamePass Ultimate subscriber.

JLB

Banned

Good! you mean that if I sub to PSNow ill get access to TLOU2 or GOT?

IntentionalPun

If Sony did do the "all first party games included" thing PSNow subscriber base would be incredibly massive and they could probably charge $20 a month. I bet they'd overall make far more money too.

Arkam

Except PS Now is a rolling dumpster fire. But yeah, otherwise identical. 🤦‍♂️😅
How so? I use it regularly. Has close to 1,000 games with ~half are PS4 so you can download them instead of streaming. Works perfect for me. And If I remember right I paid $60 or $70 for a year of the service.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

What's hilarious is I wish Sony would break off the dumb streaming service and make a download only service lol

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
So they are doing what Sony does with PS Now?
Revolutionary indeed.
They aren't doing exactly what Sony is doing. For example they are selling it way better, they are 5 times as big.

bitbydeath

If Sony did do the "all first party games included" thing PSNow subscriber base would be incredibly massive and they could probably charge $20 a month. I bet they'd overall make far more money too.

But then they’d have to turn games to Gaas like Halo in order to obtain revenue from other means. It’s not sustainable if you want Sony to deliver the same big games they do today.

IntentionalPun

But then they’d have to turn games to Gaas like Halo in order to obtain revenue from other means. It’s not sustainable if you want Sony to deliver the same big games they do today.
I don’t believe they would personally.

And people should really wait to hear about Halo Infinite before declaring it "GAAS because of GamePass."

Most of GamePass isn't GAAS games.. including what MS releases. MS have walked back a lot of overly done MTX over the last couple of years if anything.

Last edited:

John254

Banned
How so? I use it regularly. Has close to 1,000 games with ~half are PS4 so you can download them instead of streaming. Works perfect for me. And If I remember right I paid $60 or $70 for a year of the service.
And yet, PS Now have a fraction of Game Pass subs and that's despite the fact, that Playstation have way bigger ecosystem in terms of players. How can you have service which is cheaper (if we count GP Ultimate), has more games and offers streaming (which is not out on GP) and still lags behind your smaller competition?

Arkam

And yet, PS Now have a fraction of Game Pass subs and that's despite the fact, that Playstation have way bigger ecosystem in terms of players. How can you have service which is cheaper (if we count GP Ultimate), has more games and offers streaming (which is not out on GP) and still lags behind your smaller competition?

There was no $1 promo to exploit is my guess. Last number Sony put our was 2+million paying subscribers. I would enjoying seeing apples to apples on GP paying subs (minus the #1 converts, until they renew). Didn't want to turn this into a streaming service war. Was just curious why someone would call PS Now a dumpster fire, cuz I think its pretty solid.

Top Bottom