• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Xbox Series X's AMD Architecture Deep Dive at Hot Chips 2020

pawel86ck

Banned
When comparing performance, its about frame time to do things, XSX will spend more time accessing CPU RAM, less time accessing GPU RAM. The result will be how much time is taken relatively for each per game.

Also there is allot of mis understanding of Cache and memory on the apus, people do realise these caches are everywhere, every vertex shader, every pixel shader.......everywhere.
Man, you are too invested into theories. Multiplatform comparisons will show what's the real difference between both consoles.

geordiemp

You forget some things.
1. it is not an intel CPU. Even Zen+ could handle >3GHz under full AVX load
2. With 3.8 GHz you just have 7 cores (without HT)
3. With 3.6 Ghz you just have 14 threads
4. The CPU has less cache, so it is likely that "full load" is not the same as "full load" as on a 3700x CPU because it muss refill the caches faster therefore it has less time for Working in the AVX2 unit
5. The APUs will use a better process than existing Zen2 processors. We just don't know how this will change the needed power
6. The APU is bigger, so more Die area to transfer the heat

So you can never fully set the CPU under AVX2 (edge case) load and there are big unknowns.

And the last: Who cares? The MS architect told that it can handle it, why do we even question that unrealistic edge case? If Cerny would have said something like that, people wouldn't even bother to question that.

Yes who cares, exactly....

Both consoles will handle AVX 256 bombardment differently, and explains Cernys comments on teh subject.

This will not affect ps5 running at 3.5 Ghz or XSX running at 3.6 Ghz. At all.

The same logic applies to teh 2 Ghz, 2 2.3 Ghz - the GPU will not be running Furmark or equivalent in a loop.

The only reason the sustained stuff comes up is people trying to FUD Ps5 clocks and performance.

CrysisFreak

Banned
12278582.jpg

Sorry to disappoint you, but time travel hasn't been invented yet.
Huh? We're 3 months away from release we haven't seen any Series X gameplay yet. Or am I mistaken? I don't follow it 100% so maybe I missed something, anything, but I don't recall.

Also, it's like people conveniently forget the fast resume demo with current-gen games running on the XSX.
Oh my god how could I forget? The game changing current-gen games on Series X. Wow truly magnificent. X gon give it 2 ya!

pawel86ck

Banned
Huh? We're 3 months away from release we haven't seen any Series X gameplay yet. Or am I mistaken? I don't follow it 100% so maybe I missed something, anything, but I don't recall.

Oh my god how could I forget? The game changing current-gen games on Series X. Wow truly magnificent. X gon give it 2 ya!
Only Gears 5 and minecraft gameplay was running on XSX.

Allandor

Its not theories, thats how CPU and GPU work lol.

We dont need to wait for digital foundry, we have already seen Halo and it was not even native 4K. Is there a bottleneck somewhere ?

t4FDnCI.jpg

I know, MS made it a showcase, but well.. I think we all know, that Halo infinite has other problems, that are not hardware related.

Halo was never a real technical up to date looker. It had always it's own flaws and there were many games in the same generation that looked far superior. But that also depends on the personal taste.
I didn't think that Halo infinite looked really bad. It just didn't look like a technical showcase, something you would expect after such an announcement.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
Man, you must be trolling if you think halo infinite looks bad because of XSX hardware. Even Gears 5 tech demo running on XSX looks better.
That's true, but Halo is open-world and still work-in-progress so I do hope that in the very end Halo ends up looking more impressive.

pawel86ck

Banned
Show us games running on XSX then. Show us the hardwrae clearly designed as a split board for a blade server runs games well. I am waiting.
Man, you have a stake in XSX / PS5 battle, so you dont even want to consider every possible scenario, but reasonable people will wait for real comparisons before making definitive conclusions. I cant imagine what you will do when more games will show differences like Orphan (120fps on XSX and 60fps on PS5), or even like 4K on XSX and 1800p on PS5.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Man, you have a stake in XSX vs PS5 battle, so you dont even want to consider every possible scenario, but reasonable people will wait for real comparisons. I cant imagine what you will do when more games will show differences like Orphan (120fps on XSX and 60fps on PS5), or even like 4K on XSX and 1800p on PS5.

I have said I think XSX will edge it by say 2-5 %, but it will vary between games and no it wont be 20 % is my take.

I am happy to back that up in theory, less abstract api and hypervisor, faster pixel fill rate and caches, faster throughput within shader due to compression patent.....How it adds up I dont know, lets see.

You believe what you want.

TBiddy

But he's right.............

No he is not. He barged into the thread, demanding to see gameplay on the XSX. I politely (I think) wrote, that we've seen fast resume demoed on an XSX? His response? Full on aggression, acting like a 13-year old keyboard warrior on Twitter.

"Oh my god how could I forget? The game changing current-gen games on Series X. Wow truly magnificent. X gon give it 2 ya! "

pawel86ck

Banned
I have said I think XSX will edge it by say 2-5 %, but it will vary between games and no it wont be 20 % is my take.

I am happy to back that up in theory, less abstract api and hypervisor, faster pixel fill rate and caches, faster throughput within shader due to compression patent.....How it adds up I dont know, lets see.

Yes, I remember your theories especially about SSD speed on XSX (500MB/s :goog_sneaky:) based on BC games alone. No offence, but I have no reason to trust your theories and I will rather wait for real comparisons before making any definitive conclusions. If you were correct I will applaud you, but if you were wrong... ☠😅.

Raekwon26

No he is not. He barged into the thread, demanding to see gameplay on the XSX. I politely (I think) wrote, that we've seen fast resume demoed on an XSX? His response? Full on aggression, acting like a 13-year old keyboard warrior on Twitter.

"Oh my god how could I forget? The game changing current-gen games on Series X. Wow truly magnificent. X gon give it 2 ya! "

But fast resume is not what this thread is about.

If the XSX is as unbelieveably powerful as you guys make it seem, we should have some examples of games proving that and showing everything you guys are touting.

Fast resume on Gears 5 and Minecraft doesn't prove that.

geordiemp

Yes, I remember your theories especially about SSD speed on XSX (500MB/s :goog_sneaky:) based on BC games alone. No offence, but I have no reason to trust your theories and I will rather wait for real comparisons before making any definitive conclusions. If you were correct I will applaud you, but if you were wrong... ☠😅.

I am not wrong yet, we have not seen fast loading on XSX, we have seen 12 seconds state decay 2, 5 seconds fast resume on Cave (a 1 GB game) and texture pop in on Halo.

My belief is MS are hard at work tuning Velocity architecture, and all the dual hypervisor abstract stuff for running 4 instances on a serverblade and backwards compatability for allot of hardware variations and compat with PC means they are full to the brim.....

If MS had something to show they would of shown it.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
Also, it's like people conveniently forget the fast resume demo with current-gen games running on the XSX.

Haha was thinking the same thing, did he time travel and read DF analyses of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Cyberpunk 2077, Control AWE and other next gen multiplatform comparisons?

“While in fear of losing the war, they have lost their minds”

TBiddy

But fast resume is not what this thread is about.

If the XSX is as unbelieveably powerful as you guys make it seem, we should have some examples of games proving that and showing everything you guys are touting.

Fast resume on Gears 5 and Minecraft doesn't prove that.

No, this thread is not about gameplay and the PS5, even though some people try to steer the thread in that direction.

I corrected his mistake and to absolutely noones surprise, he lashed out. He's a simple troll.

CrysisFreak

Banned
What is up with people?
I didn't say I'm waiting for DF comparisons. I said I'm waiting for first party (or even 3rd party idc) gameplay on an actual Series X.
Not Xbone games and no in-engine trailers.
Real-time, next-gen games, on Series X.
You cannot be serious about current-gen stuff on Series X right?
Who the fuck cares about current-gen. I have that ALREADY.

Last edited:

martino

the surprise could be elsewhere
Imo ramdom / mix performance will be a lot less than sequential marketing like you can already see it is with most ssd.
even intel optane who is made with ramdom reads in mind is far from sequential specs in benchmark .
sequential : https://www.anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review/8
random: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review/7
mix : https://www.anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review/9

Last edited:

Raekwon26

No, this thread is not about gameplay and the PS5, even though some people try to steer the thread in that direction.

I corrected his mistake and to absolutely noones surprise, he lashed out. He's a simple troll.

Uh........

What is up with people?
I didn't say I'm waiting for DF comparisons. I said I'm waiting for first party (or even 3rd party idc) gameplay on an actual Series X.

Yeah.............. I think you misspoke.

The thread is about the power inside the XSX. If people are being told over and over again about it, is it wrong for people wanting to see it?

TBiddy

Uh........
Yeah.............. I think you misspoke.
The thread is about the power inside the XSX. If people are being told over and over again about it, is it wrong for people wanting to see it?

I didn't misspeak. I absolutely meant what I wrote. And no, nothing wrong with that. This is not the thread to whine about it though.

If posters stop referring to ps5 in every post becasue they cannot help themselves, we can talk XSX hot chips.

The problem is nobody is dicussing the technical inputs we got, most dont understand it anyway and just want to war.
So if somebody mentions the PS5 in a thread do you guys have a beacon that flashes in the air, like Batman, to let you known you know you need to come to it's defense or is it more like spidey-sense?

Raekwon26

Well, this is what he wrote......

We are waiting. Since a whole year. Nothing so far. Not a good look. LMAO.

You lost me at connect.

What? I'm not trolling. We need to see true next-gen gameplay running on Series X. Not current-gen games what's so weird about it come on.
What is up with people?

Seems pretty clear to me what he's saying.......

I didn't misspeak. I absolutely meant what I wrote. And no, nothing wrong with that. This is not the thread to whine about it though.

So, yeah.... you misspoke.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Show us games running on XSX then. Show us the hardwrae clearly designed as a split board for a blade server runs games well. I am waiting.

so I can, theoretically, say that PS5 cannot run bc games, and there is no argument outside “Show us BC games running on PS5 then.”? Do you agree? I know it slight off topic but you logic is quite flawed. You are admitting that xbsex will have some advantage (I have noticed that you are making these % smaller and smaller) but then show halo infinite screenshots, so if xbsex have an advantage and halo infinite shows its “limits”, weaker system, ps5, would struggle even more with halo infinite and that game would looks even worse on ps5 (let’s ignore dev skills for the sake of this argument).

And this is apparently the point where you ran out of come backs, lol. I don't have a fraction of the knowledge base of Thicc... But in todays world it is hard to take the word of any company or developer as gospel. Between NDAs, marketing agreements, and aspirations of partnerships or opportunities, the line between fact and fiction get pretty blurry at times.

I find it funny that both sides latch on to a few rogue developer voices who express opinions in a sea of developers. If they are speaking then they aren't under NDA. If they aren't under NDA then they probably don't have access to dev kits.

But in todays world it is easy to take the word of any random user in forums as gospel.

Oh, not Ali again.
Well, yes, the two-pool concept is .. well strange and makes it harder to optimize. But it is not the situation like on xbox one. There the sram was just to tiny to be really usefull. Now the big pool is the fast pool, while only 2.5-3 GB is in the slow pool (well actually it is not really slow, but slower) for games (the rest is the OS-memory). That is a big difference.
Could it be easier, sure, but it is a whole different situation.

yep, you re right, different pratical situations, but both more complex than simply do what Xbox One X or PS4 done about memory.

Redlight

Well, you seem to be back peddling a little compared to this...

Cry me a river I dont care, Ps5 games will look better, deal with it.

Getting a little nervous?

Man, you must be trolling if you think halo infinite looks bad because of XSX hardware. Even Gears 5 tech demo running on XSX looks better.

John Linneman at DF found some 1080p screenshots in XSX Gears 5, probably to mantain 60fps.

We didn't saw any next-gen game running in this console. Halo Infinite was running on PC, State of Decay 3 for example become a kind of joke in DF reaction video (who makes the CGI? Some 3d studio?).

Maybe Microsoft is more envolved to gain 2 billion users in Xcloud/Gamepass in Samsung Smartphones and TVs.

But in todays world it is easy to take the word of any random user in forums as gospel.
Says arguing random user... Lol. There are some people in the forum like Thicc and Gieordemp (even though I think he trolls xbox threads way too much) who spend an exceptional amount of time not only discussing, but researching what they are talking about. I would never take the time to look up patents, mostly because I have more important things to do, but these guys do in an effort to be educated about what they are talking about. I can respect this more than those who just throw out Craig memes and regurgitate things they don't understand in an effort to defend their favorite plastic box.

Says arguing random user... Lol. There are some people in the forum like Thicc and Gieordemp (even though I think he trolls xbox threads way too much) who spend an exceptional amount of time not only discussing, but researching what they are talking about. I would never take the time to look up patents, mostly because I have more important things to do, but these guys do in an effort to be educated about what they are talking about. I can respect this more than those who just throw out Craig memes and regurgitate things they don't understand in an effort to defend their favorite plastic box.
Yes, i will ignore a pipeline engineer and trust in "forum researchers".

Last edited:

Redlight

You have to be very careful. People with a committed point of view tend to cherry-pick from the info that they think supports their case, leaving out what doesn't. The fact that they spend time doing so doesn't say anything about how true they information they present is.

Marlenus

OK so you know that XSX CPU is better at heat dissipation than ps5, Intel and zen 2. Sources for AVX 256 claims ?.

AVX 256 has not been discussed by anyone other than Cerny explaining that case for CPU at 3.5 GHz and 3 Ghz fixed can be problematic (bombarded with AVX 256 constantly edge case) and ps5 has a liquid metal to heat sink.

And XSX can do constant AVX 256 as a CPU melter at 3.8 GHz because GAF Xbox fan says so....

Whatever.

AMD spec zen2 to handle AVX 2 without using clock domains. The base clock of the 3700x is 3.6Ghz as is the base clock for the 4750g. Both are 65W TDP processors.

It does not seem unreasonable to presume that the consoles can run avx2 code at full speed absent any statements on the matter.

Halo was never a real technical up to date looker. It had always it's own flaws and there were many games in the same generation that looked far superior. But that also depends on the personal taste.
I'm sorry, but Halo CE was a technical showcase for the OG xbox, and this continued all the way to Halo 4 on the 360 (it's still considered as one of the best looking game of its generation by many)... Even Halo 5 looked pretty good at times, despite the many sacrifices it did to hold its 60fps target.

This game is not even up to par for a current get title, someone at MS should have noticed... I mean, these people are paid to look at games all day, every day.

Top Bottom