• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Xbox - Quarter 4 Fiscal Year 2021 Results

kingfey

Banned
How much spent though? If they made 15B, what's the net profit = shows how much spent. This report is pretty useless to say it's good or bad, it's totally vague because of missing critical data.
Bo, I know you are very tired. Just take some breath. Slowly ok. Don't push yourself too hard.

Now that you are relaxed. Let all this nonsense you typed out of your mind. Throw all of them in the garbage bin. They are unhealthy for you.

Don't worry my sweet summer child. Xbox won't hurt you. Its just a bad dream you are having. These $15b means nothing in the grand business. All this much thinking, would give you nightmares about xbox success.

Remember, couple of breath, and one relax nap.

Just repeated behaviour of low tier ‘concern’ trolling - you’re saying I’m on my period and over sensitive but you’ve just posted a big fanny wipe of a post because I think people should be banned for trolling? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Are you a mod? No? Then STFU or place people on ignore and you can start with me. Kthanks.

Calling for accounts to be banned because this user had a different opinion to yours is small time.

Only if you're part of it too.

Imagine calling for people to get banned like that simply because people have differing views. This isn't resetera.
Dude this is exactly what happens on Resetera. Its like they gang up on you and then eventually you get a ban. I don't want that kind of thing here. We all have differing opinions. I have my squabbles with some people but wouldn't want them to get their accounts banned.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: How about no.

We can all go together <3

lcKasuJ.gif

Last edited:

NEbeast

Great news for xbox, these new consoles are so much better than last gen . It isn't a surprise people are clamouring for one.
Don't worry guys, Nadella is totally going to shut down a division making $15 billion and the Series X will be the final Xbox console.
Man, the victim complex is pathetic.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
A rising tide pandemic lifts all boats game companies. Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, Valve, they're all feasting during this pandemic. People got game money to burn.

John Wick

They give numbers though, just not the ones the console warriors want, because they’re not an important metric to MS anymore.

You’re not getting console sales figures from ms, even if they were selling 10mil a quarter. you and the others need to accept this. MS didn’t change their entire $2tril company wide reporting metrics just to hide console sales from console warriors.
No. They give the numbers that make the company look good. Take it as fact if MS was in the lead those numbers would be everywhere. If you think numbers aren't an important metric for a company like MS your deluded.
And talking about fanboys and console warriors why is it MS fanboys like yourself always state "a $2 trillion company" whenever you mention Microsoft? I don't see Apple fanboys stating $3 trillion company whenever they talk about Apple? Pathetic. Are you Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer by any chance?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They give numbers though, just not the ones the console warriors want, because they’re not an important metric to MS anymore.

You’re not getting console sales figures from ms, even if they were selling 10mil a quarter. you and the others need to accept this. MS didn’t change their entire $2tril company wide reporting metrics just to hide console sales from console warriors.
Not entirely true. Console sales are still incredibly important to MS (MS execs have publicly confirmed this), which is why they are also subsidizing both Xbox Series X and S.

Besides, they also don't report Xbox profit. Do you think profit is also not an important metric to MS?

Having said that, I understand why they only release Gamepass numbers and not console sales and why they hide Xbox profit. My only beef with this particular report is that they didn't reveal updated Gamepass numbers either. If Gamepass subscriber count is the most important metric for them, at least reveal that number consistently.

kingfey

Banned
I wonder, what is MS goal again?
Why do they actually bother doing all these hassle?
PC market, console, xcloud, gamepass. They could focus on 1 thing, and stop paying attention to other stuff, since they clearly have the money to buy publishers.
6.3m+ for their console according to Daniel, despite no 1st party games. This especially them having xcloud, pc store and steam store to put their 1st party games. They shouldnt have hit that number, yet they did . While Sony with 1st party games released, popularity, no pc store barely managed to hit 10m console sold. Like how? Shouldn't the no 1st party games be a red flag?

As a person who defended games pass several times, This is worrying to me. I accepted the reality that cloud games need time, before it replaces the console. I accepted the Idea that Xbox isnt really that much popular at all. I accepted the idea that xbox sells 3rd party games less. Yet, why does it keeps hitting these numbers. 6.3m console sold should literally be impossible. Especially, when their day1 games are on pc. One of the freaking reason, why people wont buy an xbox at all. Yet there is a huge demand for it.

Whatever is they are cooking, is really dangerous. This smells the 80s and 90s MS. They went left and right, destroying any obstacles in their way. Left many businesses in ruins.

We will enter a new generation this time. And whatever happens after this gen, is gonna have huge impact in gaming in the future.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
PC market, console, xcloud, gamepass. They could focus on 1 thing, and stop paying attention to other stuff, since they clearly have the money to buy publishers.
6.3m+ for their console according to Daniel, despite no 1st party games. This especially them having xcloud, pc store and steam store to put their 1st party games. They shouldnt have hit that number, yet they did . While Sony with 1st party games released, popularity, no pc store barely managed to hit 10m console sold. Like how? Shouldn't the no 1st party games be a red flag?

As a person who defended games pass several times, This is worrying to me. I accepted the reality that cloud games need time, before it replaces the console. I accepted the Idea that Xbox isnt really that much popular at all. I accepted the idea that xbox sells 3rd party games less. Yet, why does it keeps hitting these numbers. 6.3m console sold should literally be impossible. Especially, when their day1 games are on pc. One of the freaking reason, why people wont buy an xbox at all. Yet there is a huge demand for it.

Whatever is they are cooking, is really dangerous. This smells the 80s and 90s MS. They went left and right, destroying any obstacles in their way. Left many businesses in ruins.

We will enter a new generation this time. And whatever happens after this gen, is gonna have huge impact in gaming in the future.
MS is in a much better position than it was last generation. I expect them to sell more Series consoles than they sold Xbox One and X. Profitability of the division and their strategic vision are some things that I am concerned about, but that's another discussion and does not affect my prediction and thoughts on console sales and higher revenue that Xbox will have this generation.

Having said that, to answer your question "why MS sold 6.5m consoles despite 0 games", it's actually simple. There is always a set of hardcore fans who would move with the brand, generation over generation. Those are almost always early adopters. This applies to all types of products: mobile phones, TVs, cars, consoles, etc.

It's the same reason why Xbox One sold ~6 million units in the same time frame despite the disastrous launch. It's the same reason why PS3 sold 3 million units in 6 months despite a staggered launch and having an MSRP of $600, at a time when gaming wasn't as big as it is right now.

oldergamer

MS is in a much better position than it was last generation. I expect them to sell more Series consoles than they sold Xbox One and X. Profitability of the division and their strategic vision are some things that I am concerned about, but that's another discussion and does not affect my prediction and thoughts on console sales and higher revenue that Xbox will have this generation.

Having said that, to answer your question "why MS sold 6.5m consoles despite 0 games", it's actually simple. There is always a set of hardcore fans who would move with the brand, generation over generation. Those are almost always early adopters. This applies to all types of products: mobile phones, TVs, cars, consoles, etc.

It's the same reason why Xbox One sold ~6 million units in the same time frame despite the disastrous launch. It's the same reason why PS3 sold 3 million units in 6 months despite a staggered launch and having an MSRP of $600, at a time when gaming wasn't as big as it is right now.
I'm expecting xbox to reach or surpass numbers the xbox 360 did. Taking note, they did not have a full year head start like last time. First party game sales are going to be a large driver of this, along with game pass subscriptions. PC is going to account for a very large portion of the profit MS will bring in.

Overall I see it difficult to be concerned based on the financials we are seeing. I really wish i kept that MS stock i purchased 20 years ago ( same for nvidia ). Anyway, MS has more first party this gen then they ever have, and they seem dedicated to gaming unlike the Ballmer years where he nearly destroyed it.

ZywyPL

Banned

Their long-term goal is GP, it's obvious, they want to be everywhere with it, but an XB console is still the most convenient, user-friendly way to jump onto the service. I'd personally like to know the split of hose 6M consoles sold between the countries/continents, because historically, XB brand has always been strong in the US, even with XB1, whereas the rest of the world, especially Europe, was dominated by Sony, but with this generation due to dollar to euro exchange rate (let alone much weaker currencies), I wouldn't be surprised if GP would be carrying XB consoles hard in Europe this time around. That 10-15$ GP price tag is what I truly believe is carrying all the sales, despite no dedicated lineup for the past 9 months.

Dane

Why would sales have to rely entirely on exclusives? The PS1 sold on third party support, same thing with OG Xbox and Xbox 360.

kingfey

Banned
So if Sony and Nintendo have an equal drop, is that the gamepass effect?
Its easy to blame gamepass, when this quarter had no big games. Its the easy scape goat people have.

"This game isnt performing on xbox, so therefore, its gamepass fault" even though its not on gamepass. People will say its gamepass fault.

Too much hate for a service, which boosted a console sales. Especially, when that console got clapped hard last gen.

Stuart360

I dont get what you're trying to say. You sound like you are really down that Xbox is doing well lol. Unless i'm reading you wrong.

Also i dont get the worry about first party games. By the time this gen ends, they will probably of released more first party games than PS5 nad Switch combined.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I dont get what you're trying to say. You sound like you are really down that Xbox is doing well lol. Unless i'm reading you wrong.

Also i dont get the worry about first party games. By the time this gen ends, they will probably of released more first party games than PS5 nad Switch combined.
We have been hearing about how exclusive sells a console. Xbox went a head and put their exclusive games on pc, and they release no next gen games this gen. With these 2 points, Xbox should have sold less hardware's. But it really sold 6.3m consoles.
People are ignoring their lack of 1st next gen games. They are ignoring the ability to play it on pc.

Its like something is actively making the console very enticing. I know gamepass is good, but i doubt it could pull that much numbers.

Maybe its the hardcore fans, who are early adopters, and hardware sales will go down in the future.

If the hardware sales goes up in the future, this would mean, MS is very very very much serious this gen. And that there is something Special Xbox has this gen.

Last edited:

Stuart360

We have been hearing about how exclusive sells a console. Xbox went a head and put their exclusive games on pc, and they release no next gen games this gen. With these 2 points, Xbox should have sold less hardware's. But it really sold 6.3m consoles.
People are ignoring their lack of 1st next gen games. They are ignoring the ability to play it on pc.

Its like something is actively making the console very enticing. I know gamepass is good, but i doubt it could pull that much numbers.

Maybe its the hardcore fans, who are early adopters, and hardware sales will go down in the future.

If the hardware sales goes up in the future, this would mean, MS is very very very much serious this gen. And that there is something Special Xbox has this gen.
Because regardless of what certain people say on this forum, there are already advantages to owning a Series console, even without many 'next gen' games.
A brilliant BC program, FPS Boost, next gen patches for past gen games, and of course Gamepass.
People also know about all the studio buys over the past couple of years. We have just had E3 where they had a very good conference, and gamers got confirmation about the mega anticipated Starfield being exclusive, meaning almost certainly that all other Bethesda games will be exclusive, the next DOOM, Fallout, and of course Elder Scrolls 6.

Its only going to get better for Xbox this gen when the exclusives start flowing.

Schmick

I think when you consider MS have developed a eco system that now includes consoles, PC and mobile. They have developed a game distribution service in the name of Gamepass. And! The $7 billion spent acquiring Bethesda. You can be sure, right now, that MS are serious this gen.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I think when you consider MS have developed a eco system that now includes consoles, PC and mobile. They have developer a game distribution service in the name of Gamepass. And! The $7 billion spent acquiring Bethesda. You can be sure, right now, that MS are serious this gen.
How long until we see MS 80s and 90s?

Kenpachii

6.5 million is actually a lot. This means exclusives are simple not much relevant. And i believe this after the recent sony software sales of returnal and r&c that simple didn't sell much. i bet most games played on that box are all 3rd party titles.

Also xbox comes from a serious dud generation while PS5 comes from a absolute leadership solution and even then we only see a 34% increase in sales? not bad.

Microsoft has some serious potential here with there consoles. the 300 edition was also a good solution for people that want a cheap box but still play next gen games.

Microsoft is in a healthy spot if they keep trucking on like this.

Top Bottom