• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Xbox E3 2019 | Viewing and Discussion Thread | June 9, 2019. 4:00 PM EST

Microsoft Xbox E3 2019

• Total voters

Stuart360

What the grown ups here are saying is that not all of us want to play Microsofts games on a PC.

If I had a buck for everyone that didn't understand people don't want to play on PC...
Yeah its a stupid argument really. It like saying 'no point in getting an expensive PC when i can buy a much cheaper Xbox and play the same multipl;atform games and Xbox games.
Fact is there will always be PC only players, Console only players, and PC and Console players. Microsoft now cater to all those.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I do, and plan to do so Salty McSalty pants. What the grown ups here are saying is that they have a new console to sell and this did not do much to put my eyes on their prize. Some people seem to take this far too personally it seems.

Listen here salty mcdumbieface.

They don't care if you buy the console or not. Again...why can't people understand this.

Manus

Great conference. Could care less about gameplay. Whenever they show on stage gameplay it's always so boring and cringey.

Plus do people really need to see Gears of War gameplay? I'm sure it plays just like Gears of War.

ShaikhCroft

I counted the games. They have shown exactly 60 titles. But that includes some old games like Rise of the Tomb Raider for Game Pass. And there were 10 of them. ID @ XBOX also have shown around 20 titles!

Naked Lunch

Phantasy Star was the the moment of the show for me.
I like what I saw of Ori, Elden Ring, Cyberpunk, Flight Sim console, some of those indie ID @ Xbox games looked rad, and Halo.

Massively pissed that we didn't see gameplay of Halo. Its been so long since the last entry - more so than any other Halo downtime. Now a whole other year till we see anything. Sick of waiting.

Its interesting they didnt really announce any backwards compatibility for next gen. Im expecting the next xbox to play everything from any gen. I thought I heard them say you could use any accessory. Just too early to hear any of this stuff I guess.

Ol'Scratch

Listen here salty mcdumbieface.

They don't care if you buy the console or not. Again...why can't people understand this.
Ooooo I could hear the impotent rage clicking and clacking on the keyboard with that one. DO you genuinely believe that Microsoft is not hoping that I and others buy their new system? Really and truly? Seems alot of work to go into a system that they did not care if people bought. Third party games do nothing for them if not on their system.

Pantz

Gold Member
Could have been a solid 8.5/10 but Gears soiled this conference dropping my score to 7.5/10

Backwards compatibility news and Fable 4 or other new games could have boosted the score but they were MIA.

Ol'Scratch

Phantasy Star was the the moment of the show for me.
I like what I saw of Ori, Elden Ring, Cyberpunk, Flight Sim console, some of those indie ID @ Xbox games looked rad, and Halo.

Massively pissed that we didn't see gameplay of Halo. Its been so long since the last entry - more so than any other Halo downtime. Now a whole other year till we see anything. Sick of waiting.

Its interesting they didnt really announce any backwards compatibility for next gen. Im expecting the next xbox to play everything from any gen. I thought I heard them say you could use any accessory. Just too early to hear any of this stuff I guess.
Ori is like a magical gift that keeps on giving. And PSO 2 was a fantastic and genuine surprise

Stuart360

Ooooo I could hear the impotent rage clicking and clacking on the keyboard with that one. DO you genuinely believe that Microsoft is not hoping that I and others buy their new system? Really and truly? Seems alot of work to go into a system that they did not care if people bought. Third party games do nothing for them if not on their system.
They care obviously but they also know that there are millions of PC gamers who would never touch a console, like there are millions of console gamers that would never game on PC. Microsoft are catering to both parties.

Im waiting... waiting... waiting....

I will give you a hint. There will be nothing except some next-gen console tease as the highlight of this conference at the end.
You've convinced yourself to dislike this conference regardless of what was shown. I know your type.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

They care obviously but they also know that there are millions of PC gamers who would never touch a console, like there are millions of console gamers that would never game on PC. Microsoft are catering to both parties.
Oh absolutely they are and it is great to see. I know a big part of their 2018 was using pc in unison with the Xbox One and I would like to see what lies ahead on that road. I think many pc gamers still enjoy a console now and then, but I think now more than in previous gens there will not be as many who own all of them and choosing which console it will be will be a battle

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Disappointing showcase. Couldn't even surpass Sony's 2018 E3 in my opinion. Barely any gameplay which when it's game after game after game, what's the point if there's no gameplay being shown? Also, way too many crappy games and Indies which should be shown on Inside Xbox. Too much focus on quantity over quality. Spencer needs to just pick the top 20 and boom, done.

Biggest disappointment was the Gears 5 segment. Considering that it releases in three months, is said to have a HUB world, wide-linear levels, etc. and they show that??? SMH. Come on. Microsoft's/Spencer's marketing and showcasing their games is still horrible. Just don't get it.

Biggest surprise and best of the show by far for me was Keanu Reeves in Cyberpunk 2077. Like holy hell, what an amazing signing for the game. Just hope he has good sized role in the game.

Onto Bethesda.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Oh calm down chief. No one here is mad. It's video games. I was simply using the same childish insult structure that was sent to me.

The argument forever goes In circles. Microsoft doesn't out their stuff on PC people complain. Microsoft puts it on PC, people complain there's no reason to own an Xbox.

So Microsoft now has moved to a service based model. All they care about is getting you to subscribe to their service.

They don't make money on hardware. (Consoles, obviously they do on accessories) so yes, they want you in their ecosysystem more than they want you to buy a console.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm kinda glad they didn't show much gameplay honestly. This was always going to be a "sizzle reel" of sorts. Games you're interested in, you're probably going to start following more closely anyway and you'll have the chance to see tons of gameplay videos from the devs themselves, jurnos, let's players, etc before it gets released.

I feel like having more gameplay (especially for a game like Halo that's still 12+ months away and will likely change drastically in that time) would be a waste personally.

I think the big surprises were crossfire x and phantasy star online 2 coming to the Xbox box one. Crossfire x is apparently some hugely popular counterstrike clone in South Korea, but I thought it looked super generic. Oh and the acquisition of Double Fine and psychonauts 2? I think the biggest letdown was no mention of fable. No gameplay footage of halo Infinite. And at least one reboot of a really popular franchise like conquer or banjo. There were good games shown with very limited footage. I hope battletoads is good but the footage shown was not the direction I would have expected. 12 hours and way to the woods were probably my fav new games shown. Minecraft dungeons looks like a lot of fun too. Keanu Reeves was hilarious and definitely the high point of the conf.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

Disappointing showcase. Couldn't even surpass Sony's 2018 E3 in my opinion. Barely any gameplay which when it's game after game after game, what's the point if there's no gameplay being shown? Also, way too many crappy games and Indies which should be shown on Inside Xbox. Too much focus on quantity over quality. Spencer needs to just pick the top 20 and boom, done.

Biggest disappointment was the Gears 5 segment. Considering that it releases in three months, is said to have a HUB world, wide-linear levels, etc. and they show that??? SMH. Come on. Microsoft's/Spencer's marketing and showcasing their games is still horrible. Just don't get it.

Biggest surprise and best of the show by far for me was Keanu Reeves in Cyberpunk 2077. Like holy hell, what an amazing signing for the game. Just hope he has good sized role in the game.

Onto Bethesda.
My favorite thing about the Gears segment is that there is all of this pyro *WHOOOSH* and shit opening up and smoke pouring out *FSSSSSSSSSS* and the crowd is like *OH FUCK SOME SERIOUS SHIT IS ABOUT TO GO DOWN* and it was some cheesed up understage prop and nothing more. No monsters coming out or badass cosplayers wrecking shit, no metal band shredding just him standing there like "tadaaaa".
Xavier Woods and crew looked lost

PSlayer

PimMPWh.gif

Gamernyc78

Banned
This is a good point. I was watching on Mixer in 4K and it was 100% rock solid, amazing video quality. I didn't have too many issues with the Stadia announcement, but it didn't look nearly this nice when I played it on Youtube live.

Yeah on mixer it didn't buffer and quality was on point stream wise.

Last edited:

ChinMitten

Neo Member
I mean.. I'm excited for Psychonauts 2. I thought MS would have bought Double Fine ages ago, though. I liked Iron Brigade back in the day so hopefully we see more of that in the future, as well.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I would have liked to see more Gameplay too, but the trailers were actually really well done? no real bullshots from what I could tell (Hah).

I guess they just were not confident on the final version of Scarlett so just gave us what they were aiming for.

Appreciate the effort they put it with the conference. E3 is always a great time of the year. I fully understand why Sony decided to skip but at the same time i'm not going to bag MS for not fully revealing a console they are probably still finalizing.

II_JumPeR_I

Really a disappointing showing.... way way too much CGI crap... what year is it? 2006?
And almost everything went into 2020 or still has no release date.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That Gears showing was fucking atrocious. In fact I'd say it hurt more than it helped because it made them look severely lacking in confidence about a game out in less than a few months.

People who haven't already bought into the franchise aren't going to go to mixer or whatever in order to see people playing it when MS themselves can't be bothered to put it onscreen at the presser!

The Halo reveal was nearly as bad. Compare that to how Sony set up the God Of War reveal... You could see the 343i guys were trying to hit some emotional checkboxes, but it was just flat and uninteresting because, again, if you aren't already invested in the series the footage gives you nothing to latch onto.

I swear, Xbox seems stuck in a 2006 time-warp. They refuse to accept that they've lost a lot of mindshare to Sony and need to really freshen up their product in order to hook in a new generation of fans. But instead, they seem stuck constantly looking backwards to a glorious past that really wasn't that great to begin with.

Green is very apt colour for Xbox given their predilection for recycling the same shit over and over.

Dramos

Sorry folks, I'm disappointed... Halo Infinite hype is real. New engine looks promising but aside from that, I did not see any game play from Gears. No exclusive SP games, no gameplay, etc.

Highlights:

- New Minecraft
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Project Scarlett
- Halo Infinite

MayauMiao

I fell asleep around an hour mark. The conference bored me to sleep. Good thing for youtube replay but holy fuck after all the E3 2 hours hype turns out it was a major letdown. Almost all of it are trailers.

quazy

Neo Member
I was also pretty disappointed by all these CGI trailers, but I guess it's a difficult situation. The next gen console is roughly 1.5 years away and most AAA titles will mainly be developed on the new consoles. What should they show? In-game scenes on a console which doesn't exist yet? Or in-game scenes on the current gen, but then the graphics might look worse than what would actually be reached.

On the other hand, the Gamescom is around the corner and it think MS kept some stuff back for this event as well.

tryDEATH

Really great showing. Some surprises mixed in with a few announcements that would have had more impact if they weren't leaked earlier. Looking forward to quite a few titles in the upcoming year.

Also Xbox basically kept E3 alive this year, as they easily could have folded like Sony, but people won't appreciate it.

Pallas

Not a bad showing, some neat interesting titles, I think my biggest surprise was the new Flight Simulator coming to Xbox as well and the PSO2 finally hitting west on Xbox/PC only and Halo Infinity launching with Scarlett.

I thought Blair Witch game looked intense, loved the CP2077 presentation with Keanu. Kind of disappointed that we didn’t see anything about that open world RPG PG is working on aka that new Fable.

CyberPanda

Banned
I ain't buying any of squares products on Xbox then.
SE has released the original FF7 on Xbox, and I’m sure in the future FF7:R will come out too. After all, publishers only care about money, and the more platforms they release their products on, the more money they make.

Sorry folks, I'm disappointed... Halo Infinite hype is real. New engine looks promising but aside from that, I did not see any game play from Gears. No exclusive SP games, no gameplay, etc.

Highlights:

- New Minecraft
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Project Scarlett
- Halo Infinite
Yeah. I can understand.

Highlight for me was having fun on GAF. I am happy for all the PSO2 people

Top Bottom