• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will buy Valve or atleast Steam

Laptop1991

Microsoft is literally moving away from UWP, at least for games.
the Windows store stopped requiring UWP apps, which means you can simply publish .exe games on there now.

also, I would imagine if Microsoft actually buys Valve that Steam would become their new go to storefront for games. letting the Microsoft store be used for mobile-esque games and apps like Asphalt 9 or Spotify etc.

so in actuality this could mean basically no change for Steam users but a positive change for people that use Gamepass, because it could mean Gamepass will use Steam in the future, meaning no more forced Microsoft Store.

also more PC + Xbox connectivity when crossplay is enabled and you have a shared Steam + Xbox friends list.

THE ISSUE however would be that actually unifying and interconnecting Xbox and Steam would be a very big undertaking and would probably take years to fully realise. and in these years I foresee bugs and other issues plaguing Steam and to a lesser extent Xbox users.

the amount of systems that are in place and would need to change for this is immense and stuff like that often goes terribly wrong

I suppose it's a case of seeing is believing with MS, i've been a PC gamer since 95 and they have stated over and over that they would support PC more and never did during the last 20 years since they made the xbox,

So the script extender's like skse for mods now work with Microsoft's store, well that's a move in the right direction anyway, i hope your right, like i said Valve isn't doing much either, i can't see Xbox and Steam being compatible either or if they try to do it, it would be a bit of a mess, just like how each Windows 10 update causes problems with games and FPS, which happens quite often lol.

Wait no!

Intense power-play out of left field. Disney just bought Microsoft AND Valve. Guys, we can finally have Mickey Mouse and the Master Chief in the same place!!!
disney can't afford MS lol shit, they can't afford even a quarter of MS lol.

the only company with enough money to buy MS is Apple.

Last edited:

Banned
I suppose it's a case of seeing is believing with MS, i've been a PC gamer since 95 and they have stated over and over that they would support PC more and never did during the last 20 years since they made the xbox,

So the script extender's like skse for mods now work with Microsoft's store, well that's a move in the right direction anyway, i hope your right, like i said Valve isn't doing much either, i can't see Xbox and Steam being compatible either or if they try to do it, it would be a bit of a mess, just like how each Windows 10 update causes problems with games and FPS, which happens quite often lol.

I actually never had any issues with Windows updates before. I always am surprised to hear reports of Updates breaking stuff for people.

I did have many issues with the damn Microsoft store tho. so it would be a big plus if I never had to use that thing again lol

the biggest gaming storefront on Windows, a Microsoft platform, is not worth buying... for the platform holder Microsoft?

that's like if the Google Play store was in fact not run by google, and you'd say that it's not worth for Google to buy that storefront.

of course it is
Why do people use Steam instead of the Microsoft.

Because its not Microsoft

can't say i agree with that. i'd happily use MS store if it wasn't so shit. if they fixed the issues with it then i would use it. Microsoft owning it isn't the reason i don't use it. if people have an issue with Microsoft then Linux gaming would be way more popular than it is.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I actually never had any issues with Windows updates before. I always am surprised to hear reports of Updates breaking stuff for people.

I did have many issues with the damn Microsoft store tho. so it would be a big plus if I never had to use that thing again lol

I haven't either to be honest, but there are a lot of reports of issues with updates and MS have removed 1 or 2 of them in the past,

i've never used the MS store, infact, it was never going to be really popular with PC Gamers what with MS past and not being open enough, i'll have to wait for Starfield to find out probably in over a years time lol.

Banned

uhm, no... because it was simply one of the first storefornts and it had the biggest library + users tend to stay within their ecosystem once they are invested in it.

and from a modern perspective Steam is also way better than the bug and issue ridden Microsoft Store.

Steam was first and is better, that's why people use it. technically speaking GoG is better than any other online store but it stil is far behind Steam in terms of sales. why? because people simply stick to the thing they know and are invested in... it's very simple.
in a world where the best thing wins, GoG would win, but they don't

Topher

Gold Member
MS acquiring Steam makes a ton of sense when you think about it.
Steam-Library-Gabe-Newell-Phil-Spencer-E3-Rumor.jpg

Is there something going on between those two we don't know?

The Office Smile GIF

uhm, no... because it was simply one of the first storefornts and it had the biggest library + users tend to stay within their ecosystem once they are invested in it.

and from a modern perspective Steam is also way better than the bug and issue ridden Microsoft Store.

Steam was first and is better, that's why people use it. technically speaking GoG is better than any other online store but it stil is far behind Steam in terms of sales. why? because people simply stick to the thing they know and are invested in... it's very simple.
in a world where the best thing wins, GoG would win, but they don't
Then maybe it's possible. But I still doubt it.

FStubbs

The store sucks, but the Xbox app and UI is decent. But yes, they would need to have a plan, and they have to build on what Steam UI already has to offer, and completely ditch using the MS Store on PC.

Anyway, this isn't happening. The MS buying Steam rumors usually happens once in a while.
And as I said earlier, MS buying Steam would be an immediate Tencent/Epic lawsuit. Because now MS owns the largest store on their platform - basically, a monopoly.

wipeout364

It makes sense in some ways and not in others. Steam unfortunately is really one mans passion project. Gabe is getting older and may be thinking about cashing out. The question in my mind is what does buying Steam get Microsoft:

1. a too slow development team that can barely get games out the door which certainly does not help microsoft’s subscription model.

2. Hardware designing company VR/ now portable

3. Several of the most important IP’s in computer gaming that have been seriously underutilized in many ways due to a number of reasons :, Half Life, Team fortress, CS GO, DOTA, portal, Day of defeat.

4. A monopoly on PC gaming sales: Integration of gamepass and Steam could very well rock the very foundations of gaming, and I mean that in all seriousness.

Laying it out like that makes it seem like reasonable acquisition for gamepass, and the IP, with the bonus of getting a big boost in VR and probably picking up a few good engineers and programmers in the process

Last edited:

Juza

They tried a while ago but didn't work. Valve will not be sold as long as Gaben is breathing.

But probably Epic Games! because Google is trying, and the rumors about going public!

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Steam was first and is better, that's why people use it. technically speaking GoG is better than any other online store
How are we measuring that? Last I checked Steam client was still years ahead of GoG in terms of feature-set (and I use Galaxy on regular basis) - and nothing else on the market even begins to compete with either of these two.

MonarchJT

Banned
Gabe ans other Steam owners surely has to retire at some point. Nothing lasts forever.
this......absolutely and only this.....bill gates left Ms ...jony Ive left apple, Markus persson sold Mojang etc etc before or later it will happen no matter what.

ps. this does not mean that it is happening. but sooner or later valve will sell steam And the main candidate is certainly ms...or here someone thinks that ms will leave more space to Epic ... or even worse Ms will be outbidded by Sony in a possible sale .... lol

Last edited:

PJX

(Edit. came out too rude. sorry.)

"Private Company" means the company's stocks is not available for purchase in a stock market.

i can, right now, buy a piece of Apple, Microsoft, Sony, or Samsung. If i have infinite funds and available stock, I could potential buy 51% of any of these companies and thus make myself the controlling owner of one of these companies. (Technically not possible for most of them because of stock availability. Not to mention South Korean government would block any attempt of a Samsung foreign takeover, as Samsung supply local military hardware.)

On the other hand, private companies have stocks that are not on the market. That doesn't mean you can't buy them, but you can only do so by directly talking to the owners and personally make a deal with them. But what kind of deal can Microsoft even make with Gabe? Gabe has fuck-you-money already. Gabe is running Valve because he wants to run Valve, and he is researching VR because he wants to reserach into VR. Also collect knives of all kinds. Regardless you can't buy Valve off Gabe because he has more money than he knows what to do with it.
I know what it means but that doesn't mean much at all. Apart from Bethesda, every recent MS studio purchase were private companies. Being private doesn't mean much.

PuffyCan

wish people would stop listening to those no-name streamer / influencer. If anything happens they'll be the last to know.... same as all other acquisitions rumor

Banned
How are we measuring that? Last I checked Steam client was still years ahead of GoG in terms of feature-set (and I use Galaxy on regular basis) - and nothing else on the market even begins to compete with either of these two.

GoG is better because you literally don't need a client. you go on the website and download an installer for the game. after you installed the game it's yours, no DRM, no limits.
you can literally copy the whole game folder onto a USB drive, give it to a friend and that friend now can use that game on his PC. no login, no client, no need to set up family sharing (which is also limited on Steam, some games don't even support it either)

that's why GoG is better. it doesn't need a client but it has one should you want it.

Steam is limiting what you can do with your purchased product, GoG isn't.

so yeah GoG is better

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Gabe would never, ever accept any offer from MS

Valve doesnt need any money. They are filthy rich.

They also wouldnt have the liberty to do their own thing like they do now. To experiment with new tech, launch niche games like Alyx, Steam Deck.

They would also bleed talent. Everyone that works at Valve can do what they want, basicaly. Thats why they have so many talented people doing whatever.

This is not happening. I bet my account. Ban me if so.
Why wouldn't he? How do you know he is not ready to retire with a big bag of cash?

Gamezone

Gold Member
lmfao how cute. if MS was gonna buy valve gabe wouldn't say shit. i know valve is private but MS ain't.

believe it if you want to "rest peacefully" but you'd be stupid and naive to trust his word over an email to some stranger (no offence...)

Gabe wouldn't respond if he was planning to sell his company to Microsoft.

it actually makes a lot of sense for MS to buy Valve (if they are willing to sell).

MS owning Valve would be really beneficial for them. loads of talented developers to put into their studios (hur yeah i know Valve doesn't release games much anymore). they could make Steam their own store for Windows gaming which would be huge. it would be a death blow to Epic having MS run Steam. Valve is doing fine for themselves but they don't have the kind of money MS has to spend. also it would pretty much kill any chances of Steam moving completely over to Linux. it would guarentee Windows to be to the only place to go for gaming on PC. Linux gaming has come on a lot but still really sucks.

honestly if MS wanted Valve they can afford to buy them and it makes way too much sense to buy them. it's only a question of whether MS decide to do it and if Valve are willing to sell. i don't think it's likely to happen but i wouldn't be surprised if it did.

onesvenus

From an S&P and FTC perspective Private companies are far easier to purchase than public companies. Private companies are also not required to file (publicly accessible) documentation when they are approached for purchase.
Can you provide a link about that law? I read the public traded acquisitions law the other day and they are not required to file anything before an agreement. In fact the law says it's not recommended because that would change the share price and then change the amount a company has to pay the other.

If you want an example, when Microsoft bought Nuance, which also was a public traded company they only did a press release saying they entered a definitive agreement.

If MS bought Steam I'd go into full meltdown mode and I'm not even exaggerating. I've invested too much into the platform.
Why? What do you think it would change?

And as I said earlier, MS buying Steam would be an immediate Tencent/Epic lawsuit. Because now MS owns the largest store on their platform - basically, a monopoly.
It's not a monopoly if other companies can have their stores in there.

Microsoft owning Steam would be quite frankly, yuck. Go buy something like Epic games or something.
Again, why would that be bad if they let them work as they do now?

Nezzeroth

But I thought they were going to buy Take Two? And what about SEGA?

God I hope new games come out soon so people finally stop making threads about who they wish Microsoft would buy this week.

Shubh_C63

15 billion would be more than enough to get valve
I would have also asked for something ridiculous figure like this.

But why on earth would anybody sell steam. I would rather have one less car than to think of losing my golden goose.
Unless MS says Gabe gets very high percentage of every transactions now onwards which they wouldn't negotiate.

GoG is better because you literally don't need a client. you go on the website and download an installer for the game. after you installed the game it's yours, no DRM, no limits.
you can literally copy the whole game folder onto a USB drive, give it to a friend and that friend now can use that game on his PC. no login, no client, no need to set up family sharing (which is also limited on Steam, some games don't even support it either)

that's why GoG is better. it doesn't need a client but it has one should you want it.

Steam is limiting what you can do with your purchased product, GoG isn't.

so yeah GoG is better
So GOG just sells DRM-free games and provides standalone installers that you can use to facilitate piracy. :)

I really don't see it as 'technically' superior to what Steam offers. It's just entirely different. GOG doesn't offer me support for my ancient Thrustmaster gamepad, doesn't host mods, hasn't got any streaming tech behind it or gamepad-friendly interfaces that'd let you play just about any game from your account on any TV or smart device you own, etc. But it has Homeworld Cataclysm, and a host of other games I'd never find anywhere if GOG didn't release them.

GOG is great for old games that nobody else cares to release properly, or for games you just have to have with you regardless of what remote jungle village with no internet you may go to. Steam, for the most part, is great for everything else. Technically, as in on the technical aspect, Steam is still superior. Standalone installers and patch files have stopped being technically impressive around the time centralized CDNs like Steam became prominent. Yes they're convenient, and 'superior' from specific standpoints depending on what you care most about, but I wouldn't call subjective superiority 'technical'. :)

CitizenZ

Banned
This would be like cancer invading the body, but when you have unlimited funds, everyone has a price. Everyone.

The fun part , even though it sucks but it just gets worse after that , they should better save themselves before saving others in this business.

Top Bottom