• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft, we got beef. (Rewards related)

RPS37

So I game almost exclusively on my series x as of late.
However, I just discovered the Rewards app.
It’s actually pretty damn cool.
You get points for completing tasks like get an achievement or buy a game.
I even have it set up so that whenever I pass around 8700 points, it auto-redeems 10 bucks on XBL every month.
Anyway, I recently purchased Halo Infinite (Campaign) in preparation for the full game before the beta started.
I bought it on November 15th.
Just the other day I check the the rewards app and there’s a challenge for buying the game.
However, you have to have bought the game after November 27th. So I can’t get those 6000 points now.

That’s some bullshit if you ask me.

I even have it set up so that whenever I pass around 8700 points, it auto-redeems 10 bucks on XBL every month.
Anyway, I recently purchased Halo Infinite (Campaign) in preparation for the full game before the beta started.
Just the other day I check the the rewards app and there’s a challenge for buying the game.
However, you have to have bought the game after November 27th. So I can’t get those 6000 points now.

You can refund preorders, and pre order again

Banned

the rewards are a bit weird from time to time, but they are really generous... like simply by using Bing instead of Google I get enough points each month to get a 10€ gift card with the reward points from that alone basically. + all the rewards app stuff on xbox

also wait until it is released I guess? maybe you will get the reward then 🤷‍♂️

or cancel the preorder and preorder again I guess

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

MrFunSocks

Banned
Yep, that's how promotions/sales work. Buy during the promotion period or miss out.

Also just cancel your pre-order and buy it again.

I love microsoft rewards, I'm getting around 200-220 points a day every single day just by using edge/bing. Pays for my game pass ultimate subscription year round.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Yep, that's how promotions/sales work. Buy during the promotion period or miss out.

Also just cancel your pre-order and buy it again.

I love microsoft rewards, I'm getting around 200-220 points a day every single day just by using edge/bing. Pays for my game pass ultimate subscription year round.
For about 3 years I did all of the rewards activities (just kind of stopped) both in the rewards app and the game pass app
I was earning 25~30 dollars of rewards a month, if cash is a little tight ms rewards can fund game pass ultimate and then some

TDiddyLive

They made it so there is no reason to preorder early. If you’re going to preorder for bonus DLC, just wait until a day or two before the game comes out in case a bonus like this pops up.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
The Last Of Us Playstation GIF by Naughty Dog

MrFunSocks

Banned
how yall getting that many points in a month. Takes me 2-3 months to get the $10 thing
90 points for PC bing searches per day
12 points for edge use per day
60 points for mobile bing searches per day
~50 points per day on rewards website via links to click and surveys/quizzes
5 points per day for logging in to game pass app on mobile
5 points per day for starting a game pass game on xbox or xcloud on mobile

Those are pretty much guaranteed to be available to you.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Also they regularly do a monthly challenge on the Xbox app that’ll reward anything from 2k to 10k (10k are the Gamerscore challenges). Not to mention they’ll do easy challenges like get one achievement in FH5 for 250 points etc.

And any pre-order bonuses from EA Play games you can fudge: recently you could claim the 5000 points for ‘buying’ Battlefield 2042 just by installing it via your 10 hour free trial.

Topher

Gold Member
how yall getting that many points in a month. Takes me 2-3 months to get the $10 thing

I created a thread on MS Rewards.

I need to update it to include the Rewards app on Xbox, but take a few minutes every day and you'll get a lot more points.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Also they regularly do a monthly challenge on the Xbox app that’ll reward anything from 2k to 10k (10k are the Gamerscore challenges). Not to mention they’ll do easy challenges like get one achievement in FH5 for 250 points etc.

And any pre-order bonuses from EA Play games you can fudge: recently you could claim the 5000 points for ‘buying’ Battlefield 2042 just by installing it via your 10 hour free trial.
They also seem to always have the "get 1 achievement and get 50 points" that you can claim every day. Pretty simple with game pass to get that every day.

T-Cake

Typically, you can easily earn enough for 1 month of Game Pass Ultimate each month. I've got just a little over 16,000 points for November which will give me the GPU for 12,000 points.

I've done it for the last few years, takes me 5 minutes to do the daily searches etc.

that's an easy 1400 points a week.
then the daily achievement, and weekly/monthly quests.

You also get points for purchases from the store itself.

have saved a fortune. Got 521,725 points in total so far, that's set auto redeem monthly to save on the store credit as well.

They've also just added a few quests to the Xbox app (not game pass one that's another easy 20 points a day, more if you play a pc game with a friend daily, and by play I mean start up then quit.)

Pantz

Gold Member
Yep, Rewards app app took the fun out of pre ordering games on Xbox. I generally wait up to the day before release to pre order games now if I want a bonus or something like that. That way I can wait to see if they add any rewards for a purchase. It would be really nice if they changed it to include early pre orders, seems unfair to punish people who ordered early and reward lazy late buyers.

By the way, if it's still working, you could complete the purchase Battlefield 2042 punch card by installing the trial...might need EA Access/Game Pass Ultimate for the trial.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm currently at 28,000 points after having spent 35,000 on three months of Game Pass and around 14,000 points on MS gift cards which I used to buy Dolby Atmos for my headphones. So in about two weeks I'll have enough points to get another three months of Game Pass.

I keep this up for three years and the amount saved is about as much as my XSX itself.

T-Cake

I'm currently at 28,000 points after having spent 35,000 on three months of Game Pass and around 14,000 points on MS gift cards which I used to buy Dolby Atmos for my headphones. So in about two weeks I'll have enough points to get another three months of Game Pass.

I keep this up for three years and the amount saved is about as much as my XSX itself.

I "wasted" about 100,000 points buying movies that I still haven't even watched. I could have had enough to buy the 1TB SSD for my Series S by now. :(

Lone Wolf

Stop pre ordering so early. No reason to. Just cancel your pre order and do it again and you’ll get the points. As you see it’s a great program that if done right can pay for most of your games or game pass.

I still mostly buy physical so I don’t get any points for new games (wish there was a way to redeem physical games). But even without that I can usually rack up $10-15 per 1-2 months. I just got DOOM Eternal’s season pass at $15 (Black Friday sale), and only had to pay $2 because I had $13 worth in points.

Usually I’ll use it like that on DLC or something when it’s on sale.

It’s pretty sweet.

Wizz-Art

I had that happen with the FH5 pre-order I had bought (with a 100$ giftcard I redeemed with rewards) right when it went up at E3. They had a reward when you buy a movie from the special selection of $5-10 dollar movies they had up that week and pre-order FH5 you'll get 5000 points and a $5 giftcard. So I had to go through hoops because you couldn't cancel pre-orders that would release in a week or less. So I finally found a link where I explained exactly why I was canceling and they refunded me and I bought/pre-ordered the game right after so the reward triggered and the $5 giftcard I actually forgot about but they send me a mesage on Xbox Live last week with the redemption code so the movie I bought was basically free.

I love rewards, I do the rewards daily - it's a routine by now - but I also buy a lot through their Movies & TV store on tuesdays when they have new sales up and of course games from the game store. Something I did anyway before the MS Rewards program started. This gives me yearly between 200 and 400$ in giftcards redeemed with Reward points. Best loyalty program there is!

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

The monthly and weekly tasks.

Xbox has rewards??!

😂
Not sure what's funny about it? Unless you mean that you didn't realize?

I started doing it properly mid November last year. Takes about two minutes per day. I have close to $350 in Microsoft rewards in my account now, just for playing as I normally do, switching to Bing and doing the odd quiz (which I actually enjoy).

Last edited:

xiseerht

Since you are new to the reward game , I know your pain. That is why us vet reward members don't preorder any game and we wait until the game comes out or just about to come out. MS normally does some bonus that will give you 4000-6000 reward points if you buy the game at the moment. Trust me , I know it sucks and it happens to us all.

xiseerht

The MS Rewards Program is by far one of my most favorite things that MS does. Once you really get into it and doing your dailies , weekly , gamepass quests , Bing searches , etc. You can easily get 10,000 MS rewards a month with out even trying.

Last edited:

What do you mean "buy Dolby Atmos for my headphones"? Like a dlc add on for the headphones? Why doesn't it support Dolby Atmos to begin with?

Honestly MS rewards has been fantastic for me, though I am a bit obsessed with getting the points and make sure to do the dailys in bing every day aswell as the weeklys in the xbox app. Points build up fast. Recently I bought CoD Vanguard Bf2042 and Insurgency sandstorm, all with at least £30 of credit I got from MS rewards.

jaysius

Banned
If you're in USA than your program is FAR BETTER than Canada or ANY OTHER REGION.

There are so many more chances for points via Bing and other random things on rewards USA... yea yea change your location to USA, but those people do get banned every now and then, I'd rather not.

Topher

Gold Member
What do you mean "buy Dolby Atmos for my headphones"? Like a dlc add on for the headphones? Why doesn't it support Dolby Atmos to begin with?

No, the app adds Dolby Atmos headphone support to Xbox. Xbox has Dolby Atmos support for home theater out of the box, but not headphones. That is a separate purchase.

The system supports Atmos passthrough for home heater out of the box, but the Dolby Atmos for Headphones has a fee because Dolby charges a huge license fee.

And...Microsoft doesn't have the dough to cover these costs for their users? Instead it makes their customers pay up for the feature? This doesn't sound ludicrous to anyone else?

ManaByte

And...Microsoft doesn't have the dough to cover these costs for their users? Instead it makes their customers pay up for the feature? This doesn't sound ludicrous to anyone else?

At least they give you the option for Dolby for headphones. If you don't want it you don't have to pay it. You can use Windows Sonic for free (which is their version of Sony's Tempest 3D).

Topher

Gold Member
I missed out that way on the BF 2042 card, was miffed lol.

I just completed the BF 2042 card. It isn't showing for you any longer?

Doesn't really make sense to pay for a license to Dolby for every Xbox when a lot of folks are not using headphones.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Damn, I love the rewards program. I use Bing and Edge on everything anyway and get lots points on the Rewards app on Xbox plus the Game Pass rewards. So far this year I've earned enough points for another year of Game Pass, bought an amazon $25 GC and enough for another $15 for Amazon GCs.

Kuranghi

Damn, I love the rewards program. I use Bing and Edge on everything anyway and get lots points on the Rewards app on Xbox plus the Game Pass rewards. So far this year I've earned enough points for another year of Game Pass, bought an amazon $25 GC and enough for another $15 for Amazon GCs.

Does Bing get better the more you use it? I tried to use it a few times and the results were just garbage, but I suspect google is as good as it is due to building up a profile and tracking your habits.

DaGwaphics

Does Bing get better the more you use it? I tried to use it a few times and the results were just garbage, but I suspect google is as good as it is due to building up a profile and tracking your habits.

You don't really need to "use" bing to get the points. I just click through their news articles everyday, only takes about 30 seconds to get the daily 150 (170 if you are using edge browser).

I just completed the BF 2042 card. It isn't showing for you any longer?

Doesn't really make sense to pay for a license to Dolby for every Xbox when a lot of folks are not using headphones.
The Dolby Access license is for your Email account, you can only use Dolby Access on every Windows/Xbox by using your account.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I switched from Google to Live Search (now Bing) years ago because I got fed up with all the garbage results I got from Google.
I get less results from Bing but more results that I'm actually looking for. Does it get better over time? I'm not sure I just know it works for me.

Top Bottom