• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft wants to buy Metal Gear license from Konami

fermcr

tenor.gif

Rikkori

This would be such a major move by MS. Honestly Sony's looking like they're re-creating a Diablo 3 scenario. They build up all that good will (PS4) then they squander it for one round of great sales (PS5), then they got a long climb back to where they started (if they can even make it back).

the land before time raspberries GIF

How are they going to be a monopoly when ppl around here claim Sony is going to outsell them 3:1 and they only matter in the US and UK?

Don't you have to have the lions share to be a monopoly?
Never said they are a Monopoly. I just said they are desperately trying to become one. There is a difference. But anyway, I guess them trying to buy everything shouldn't be a surprise to anyone considering the butt whipping they took last gen from Playstation and Nintendo.

A.Romero

I believe Microsoft wants to get MGS but I don't think Kojima would go back to work on MGS. I think he has been done with the franchise for a long time and also I don't think he would collaborate with something that would represent any kind of profit for Konami.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Before all this warchest craze, if anything MS should sit down with Sony and beg them to get Deathloop and Ghostwire to release at the same date and pay the compensation for breaking the deal. It's funny when 2 of their first party are exclusive to PS5 while there is zero new games on Xbox Series X|S. People need to be a bit realistic with their dreams.

Dabaus

Banned
Before all this warchest craze, if anything MS should sit down with Sony and beg them to get Deathloop and Ghostwire to release at the same date and pay the compensation for breaking the deal. It's funny when 2 of their first party are exclusive to PS5 while there is zero new games on Xbox Series X|S. People need to be a bit realistic with their dreams.
Exactly, Besides the Bethesda Acquisition almost every other move Xbox has made has been in line with business as usual. Lets not forget shortly after the Bethesda deal closed xbox attempted to double the price of xbl gold. To me that says they dont have the infinite black hole of money some of these astroturfers will have us believe. Time will tell though i guess but as far as this goes its total nonsense in my opinion.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Never said they are a Monopoly. I just said they are desperately trying to become one. There is a difference. But anyway, I guess them trying to buy everything shouldn't be a surprise to anyone considering the butt whipping they took last gen from Playstation and Nintendo.
Someone is personally invested.

also, why would Microsoft buying this piss you off? It’s literally just sitting there after being tarnished by Konami themselves. This would open up the series to more people and more consoles.

Bizarre that the idea of MGS being bought angers you. Especially as you seem to have a bias towards PlayStation (noted by your bitter-tasting “butt-whipping” comment), who utilize their money to keep games from players more often than they do something like this which will bring games to players.

anyway, no offense, I just think your comments in this thread are weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
So kojima didn't want to keep making metal gear so leaves.

MS will spend a billion buying a franchise that always sold best on PlayStation and kojima will develop it. I mean if you like losing money then go for it.
Losing money? You got an explanation for this?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I don’t think they are as concerned with those games as they would/should be about MGS.
Those games have good developers, but they aren’t console sellers and Microsoft isn’t crying over that exclusivity. I think their main focus, in relation to those games, is just making sure Halo is the best exclusive this year.

splattered

Microsoft could always buy the Metal Gear Solid license, partner with Kojima to make his next game on Xbox, have a completely different team make a new Metal Gear Solid title, LET Kojima make whatever game he wants, and still ask him to offer outside consulting on the new MGS title from time to time...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don’t think they are as concerned with those games as they would/should be about MGS.
Those games have good developers, but they aren’t console sellers and Microsoft isn’t crying over that exclusivity. I think their main focus, in relation to those games, is just making sure Halo is the best exclusive this year.

With all due respect to you, sir, what you said doesn't make sense at all. What Halo has to do with either game? So we're getting Horizon FW so we should not get the rest of the exclusives? Why even buy the console then?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
With all due respect to you, sir, what you said doesn't make sense at all. What Halo has to do with either game? So we're getting Horizon FW so we should not get the rest of the exclusives? Why even buy the console then?
Ah, thanks
With mutual respect, I’ll say it makes as much, if not more sense, than insinuating Microsoft should be worried about Deathloop and Ghostwire - one year exclusivity, when they are going as big as Bethesda and Metal Gear Solid. Why, that’s just bananas, sir.
Deathloop and Ghostwire have nothing to do with this, and no, they shouldn’t be Microsoft’s primary concern - that’d be silly!

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Never said they are a Monopoly. I just said they are desperately trying to become one. There is a difference.
In the context of your post, there’s really no difference.
You implied Microsoft was on it’s way to becoming a Monopoly, or at least wanting to become one. Someone pointing out that they are further from that then Sony does pretty much negate your comment. Looks like you are trying to back out of it, from layman perspective.)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ah, thanks
With mutual respect, I’ll say it makes as much, if not more sense, than insinuating Microsoft should be worried about Deathloop and Ghostwire - one year exclusivity, when they are going as big as Bethesda and Metal Gear Solid. Why, that’s just bananas, sir.
Deathloop and Ghostwire have nothing to do with this, and no, they shouldn’t be Microsoft’s primary concern - that’d be silly!

Sky.jpg

They don't have the luxury for that as it's extremely dry on their console. That's my opinion. Also this is only a rumor, the reality is there are no games on Xbox other than multiplats, which are pretty narrow as well. Have a great time.

OverHeat

« generous god »
They are not AAA titles who cares right?

LiquidRex

Supposedly Sony are working on Konami back catalogue of titles.... MGS is real. The only way I can see those titles appearing on Xbox is if the Sony Konami IP deal (there must be one) included a multiplatform distribution clause.

emilegc

Exactly, Besides the Bethesda Acquisition almost every other move Xbox has made has been in line with business as usual. Lets not forget shortly after the Bethesda deal closed xbox attempted to double the price of xbl gold. To me that says they dont have the infinite black hole of money some of these astroturfers will have us believe. Time will tell though i guess but as far as this goes its total nonsense in my opinion.
First time hearing that Ms tried to double price of XBL gold.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Sky.jpg

They don't have the luxury for that as it's extremely dry on their console. That's my opinion. Also this is only a rumor, the reality is there are no games on Xbox other than multiplats, which are pretty narrow as well. Have a great time.
It’s extremely dry on both consoles right now. Ratchet and Returnal are great, but it’s not an avalanche, and the actual quality of those two is still undetermined.
Especially when both consoles have a handful of good multi-plat games that are going to start coming out this month (Nier, Resident Evil, Biomutant, Mass Effect, Outriders), which make that even less relevant.

I’m not sure which luxury you are referring to. Acquiring IP and studios isn’t a luxury in comparison to acquiring Deathloop and Ghostwire early. It’s a necessity for the brand, and one that Ghostwire and Deathloop can not help them with in the big picture. Setting those games as a priority over bigger acquisitions is the luxury they can’t afford.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Yeah they attempted it recently but the backlash was so swift and strong that they backed off the same day. Look it up.
Correct. Then in listening to customers and reverting that decision, they also went ahead and made all free-to-play games actually free online, which wasn’t the case before, right?

it’s pretty cool actually.

VulcanRaven

I'm disappointed with Sony if this is true. They should have made deal with Konami about MGS years ago.

Last edited:
Yeah they attempted it recently but the backlash was so swift and strong that they backed off the same day. Look it up.
It was all decided before Phil woke up, when he was chugging down his protein shake after a 3 hour gym session he heard the news. He booted Greebergs office door off its hinges and politely told him to change it back, rest is history.

Mentat02

Banned
Konami isn't going to sell their IPs. they have figured out that they can make a lot of money from their IPs buy leasing them to the highest bidders. In Japan Konami is licensing out their IPs to different Pachinko companies and making millions, if Microsoft can cough up 200mil to borrow IPs for 1 game deals that is easy money right there.

Konami isn't going to sell their IPs. they have figured out that they can make a lot of money from their IPs buy leasing them to the highest bidders. In Japan Konami is licensing out their IPs to different Pachinko companies and making millions, if Microsoft can cough up 200mil to borrow IPs for 1 game deals that is easy money right there.
They well sell for the right price my friend, that's how business works.

This is hilarious spin. If anything, Sony should beg MS to release future Bethesda games multiplatform. Bye Bye Fallout, DOOM, Starfield, Elder Scrolls, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, etc. You are nuts.

Mentat02

Banned
They well sell for the right price my friend, that's how business works.
of course they will sell for the right price, I'm just saying Konami has been making big money without making anymore AAA games by renting out their IPs. 4 billion to microsoft is chump change compared to Sony though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is hilarious spin. If anything, Sony should beg MS to release future Bethesda games multiplatform. Bye Bye Fallout, DOOM, Starfield, Elder Scrolls, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, etc. You are nuts.

I hate to break it to you, never cared of any games you've shown, bought Fallout 4 and made me puke. Only game that was fun with mediocre story is Rage 2. You can keep all of that, also got a gaming PC if anything turns out to be "good".

I hate to break it to you, never cared of any games you've shown, bought Fallout 4 and made me puke. Only game that was fun with mediocre story is Rage 2. You can keep all of that, also got a gaming PC if anything turns out to be "good".

It's not about YOU particularly though is it? There are others out there that enjoy those games. What are you playing now?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Oddworld isn't my style. I really tried with other installments but it was too SNES style for me mechanically. Outriders and Monster Train for me right now with some Yakuza peppered in.

Oddworld is a very simple game, if not on PS+ would buy it for the sake of nostalgia of the first one on PS1. It looks like shit, and has some janky parkour but overall a solid puzzle game with some story. Outriders looked rough to my liking, but might get the game on a later date as some are facing some issues with it as well. Loot seems to be perfect. Been a massive Yakuza fan after their remake Yakuza 0 on PS4 and played all the games after it. When saw the new one being turn-based... it's the worst ever gameplay philosophy in gaming to me, although I feel gutted because I hear that the story is excellent as always.

So mostly playing single players, finish the game 100% with endless hours like there is no tomorrow, then wait for weeks or months until the next SP game released. Had a blast with Control UE before Oddworld.

So you see me here more lately. If I'm playing a massive game I literally disappear from GAF.

I don't think these games will sell consoles on their own. They will probably rank in the nice-to-have as an early gen filler, and fodder for online console warring as this thread and others have shown.

This would be such a major move by MS. Honestly Sony's looking like they're re-creating a Diablo 3 scenario. They build up all that good will (PS4) then they squander it for one round of great sales (PS5), then they got a long climb back to where they started (if they can even make it back).

the land before time raspberries GIF

Is that GIF from The Land Before Time? I really need to watch that again. Such an amazing film.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't think these games will sell consoles on their own. They will probably rank in the nice-to-have as an early gen filler, and fodder for online console warring as this thread and others have shown.

Definitely not console sellers at all. But the very first games from 1st party Xbox being exclusive to PS5 isn't a good look, at least compensate for the exclusivity and make it a multiplat especially that the console launched with no next gen first party games at all until now.

Top Bottom