• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to support Windows 11 n Apple Silicon

ReBurn

Gold Member
I was in the Parallels beta for Apple silicon and I tried Windows 10 ARM then. So many Windows apps wouldn't run because they weren't ARM compatible. I played with it for a few days and came to the conclusion that it was pointless to run Windows ARM and went back to running Linux containers.

I switched from Parallels to UTM on Apple Silicon because for my use cases Parallels isn't worth $99 per year. The standard version has too many limitations. UTM now supports Apple virtualization and my Fedora sandboxes have been solid and performant, and free doesn't hurt either.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't think Apple needs bootcamp anymore.
Especially not with Apple virtualization doing such a good job with ARM guests. For ARM-based guest operating systems it's possible to get near full speeds on top of the MacOS host.

The only reason I can think of where you would want Bootcamp is if you need full GPU/hardware capability, but I think chances are low that Windows ARM or any other alternate ARM-based OS is going to take full advantage of the silicon any time soon.

daveonezero

Banned
And this is why I’m looking to spend $1300 on a quad core intel MacBook Air as an upgrade to my dual core MacBook Air

ReBurn

Gold Member
And this is why I’m looking to spend $1300 on a quad core intel MacBook Air as an upgrade to my dual core MacBook Air
To be able to boot into Windows? Or some other reason?

I considered trying to snag an end of life Intel MacBook Pro to use as a MacOS/Windows swappable laptop but I think they topped out at a 10th gen I7 which will be long in the tooth pretty soon. I decided instead to move to a MacBook with Apple Silicon. I recently got a 12th gen I7 ThinkPad for Windows. There's just not a happy future for Intel Macs if you also want to use MacOS. Ventura already has features that won't work on Intel.

Last edited:
Cool, daughter's Macbook is Apple silly-con (just joking it's a sweet bit of kit but the dropping support for Windows is irksome). Guess it's time to look at Parallels Desktop so I can leech her Macbook away sometimes.

Drew1440

Interesting, I wonder how Win32 x86 applications/games will run? I assume apple will need to develop boot camp drivers, how will DirectX function on Apple's GPU?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s kind of dumb to do VM on any daily user machine. If you really need dual os just make a dedicated server for VMs and remote into it. 🤷‍♂️

Topher

Gold Member
Some windows-only apps users need?

AS ReBurn ReBurn mentioned, virtualization works really well and will handle the vast majority of needs for Windows apps.

It’s kind of dumb to do VM on any daily user machine. If you really need dual os just make a dedicated server for VMs and remote into it. 🤷‍♂️

Makes more sense to use virtualization than to build a server just to have access to Windows.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Some windows-only apps users need?
Those windows-only apps may not work in the ARM version of Windows. The ARM version of Windows 11 only officially supports apps built for ARM. If the app is supported by the ARM version the only real benefit of boot camp would be to get direct access to the metal. Or you cheaped out and skimped on RAM and sharing resources between guest and host turns your machine into a slideshow. Windows ARM is not optimized for Apple Silicon so the bare metal scenario is currently irrelevant.

If a Windows app is a critical requirement you probably need the hardware it was built for.

daveonezero

Banned
To be able to boot into Windows? Or some other reason?

I considered trying to snag an end of life Intel MacBook Pro to use as a MacOS/Windows swappable laptop but I think they topped out at a 10th gen I7 which will be long in the tooth pretty soon. I decided instead to move to a MacBook with Apple Silicon. I recently got a 12th gen I7 ThinkPad for Windows. There's just not a happy future for Intel Macs if you also want to use MacOS. Ventura already has features that won't work on Intel.
Yes. I use it for work to allow remote access. It’s just the way my work flow is right now. More remote techs familiar with windows and using those apps to configure network devices.

I like the Air form factor and continuity with my phone on the MacOS side.

Then instead of holding a separate windows machine to allow remote access to networks I just boot to Windows.

So I’m basically stuck with the intel machines or I might as well redo all my personal computing and professional work flow. I don’t really want to change all that.

What I’ll probably end up doing is just buy a powerful AMD laptop and the Macboon Air will literally just be for work. And to have an MacOS machine. And have it as a secondary machine till it dies. I recently put in a new battery so it should go a while longer.

A new Air with the Apple silicon looses a key function for me. And would just add complexity to a function that needs to work reliably.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
Dude, don't pay $1300, I bought a used early 2015 13' MacBook Pro with an i7, and 16GB RAM, for $120 USD on Mercari. It had a bloated battery and no SSD, but I put my own 1TB SSD, bought a new battery on Amazon, and re-pasted the CPU with some compound I had lying around, so I spent about $300 in total, and now have a perfectly functional MacBook Pro. I use it at home and work, and I have no issues. I triple-booted it with MacOS, Linux Mint, and Windows 11.

nbcjr

Dude, don't pay $1300, I bought a used early 2015 13' MacBook Pro with an i7, and 16GB RAM, for $120 USD on Mercari. It had a bloated battery and no SSD, but I put my own 1TB SSD, bought a new battery on Amazon, and re-pasted the CPU with some compound I had lying around, so I spent about $300 in total, and now have a perfectly functional MacBook Pro. I use it at home and work, and I have no issues. I triple-booted it with MacOS, Linux Mint, and Windows 11.
I need to use Windows, and I like the form factor of macs, so I recently bought a used 2020 Pro with 1tb ssd and 32gb ram, core i7 for $850.
From my research, M chips with parallels are not suited for daily windows use.

The Fartist

Gold Member
I need to use Windows, and I like the form factor of macs, so I recently bought a used 2020 Pro with 1tb ssd and 32gb ram, core i7 for $850.
From my research, M chips with parallels are not suited for daily windows use.
$850 is a bit steep for a 10 gen Intel CPU/iGPU, for that price I would just get a mid-range gaming laptop (RTX3050) but that's me. I hate that apple started soldering storage and memory to their boards. Pretty soon everyone will, though, it sucks.

Top Bottom