• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to publish PUBATTLEGROUNDS on Xbox One

I dislike Spencer more than anyone but he's talking about DLC in that tweet. Destiny 2's to be more specific, which is a huge game from a huge team and publisher. The PUBG deal is nothing anyone should be applauding, but the context is a bit different.
I'd be more pissed having an entire game being held back for a year plus than just a map and a gun from a DLC expansion I'm already getting the rest of.

paulogy

I think the only thing we can really conclude is we won't see PUBG on PS4 this year.

Probably next year, but how soon?

trixx

Wonder how gameplay would be like on original Xbone and 1x. Have a feeling the original/s gonna run/look bad

Gestault

Tangentially related to the publishing agreement, but I wish Sony had a formal early-access program to facilitate games like this.

I really don't think Sony even has a choice in Destiny 2's case. And no they're not upfront at all when it comes to a bunch of other games they tout as exclusives and then shadow release on other platforms later. If anything they're even less upfront because there's never any mixed message that people can pick up on.

They don't have a choice? And what shadow releases do you mean? Surely if this happens all the time you have actual examples and not just innuendo. Sony has pretty well established terms that we can all understand: Exclusive, Console Exclusive or Console Launch exclusive. The fact that there's no mixed message means no one requires clarification because we all understand what those each denote. PUBG is obviously a "console launch exclusive" in Sony's terminology, but MS thinks it's important to obscure that fact.

Oh, of course its not.

WVXq0tP.gif

Well props to Microsoft and their ambiguous marketing terms I guess because they've fooled you (and I'm sure others as well) into thinking it's exclusive. It clearly isn't. I'd love see why you think it is. It's a timed exclusive. Sorry.

They don't have a choice? And what shadow releases do you mean? Surely if this happens all the time you have actual examples and not just innuendo. Sony has pretty well established terms that we can all understand: Exclusive, Console Exclusive or Console Launch exclusive. The fact that there's no mixed message means no one requires clarification because we all understand what those each denote. PUBG is obviously a "console launch exclusive" in Sony's terminology, but MS thinks it's important to obscure that fact.
Please explain to me what crash is 🤔

Floody

Tangentially related to the publishing agreement, but I wish Sony had a formal early-access program to facilitate games like this.

I don't really like Early Access, but at this point they really should, instead of the seemingly random stance they have at the moment. Also, it's not like they care all that much about quality control, considering all the crap they let through.

Salty Hippo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nw8vFvJcUA

Crystal clear. It was announced for PC in a low profile interview mere days later.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Crash is "no comment."

A new tactic. Don't even talk about whether or not it's exclusive, just treat it like a game coming out and let others read between the lines and guess blindly.

Yep. It's quite unlike Microsoft, who actively attempt to obfuscate details via PR

Theorry

IqFJ68L.jpg

Crayon

We all know what it means by now. Less informed people may get confused, and if they complain they'll be met with the "if you believed that, that's your fault" routine.

Floody

So it's pretty much the exact same situation it was at E3, just now MS is publishing it on Xbox to speed it along?

Be really strange if they haven't at least tagged a 12 month full release exclusivity period on it, but if they haven't seems like a massive win-win all-round.

Xbox players better please beta test the hell out of this during the holidays.
I'm hoping for a much more polished experience than currently available for PS4 next year.

Good game to get an exclusive window for by MS too.

leeh

Looks like it'll be a permanent console exclusive and people are saying it's misleading simply due to their own hope of it coming onto the PS4 IMO.

EDIT: Just seen Jez's tweets.

OléGunner;246598772 said:
Xbox players better please beta test the hell out of this during the holidays.
I'm hoping for a much more polished experience than currently available for PS4 next year.

Good game to get an exclusive window for by MS too.

Hey, no problem. I will early preview the shit out of this game.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Really smart move my MS to go all-in on this while it's hot.

Call me slightly cynical, but full exclusivity seems like a waste of money on what could probably be just the flavour of the month. A period of exclusivity is probably the most financially smart thing to do.

Hey, no problem. I will early preview the shit out of this game.

Haha no doubt. I'm sure ya'll Xbox players will rack up the hours in the hundreds once it's released. The game seems incredibly addictive!

Should provide great info to Bluehole to maximise the other console version down the line.

Call me slightly cynical, but full exclusivity seems like a waste of money on what could probably be just the flavour of the month. A period of exclusivity is probably the most financially smart thing to do.

Even if PUBG hits a ceiling sooner rather than later in terms of its market potential, we have seen how Battle Royale games do on Steam. BR-genre is not a flavour of the month.

H1Z1: King of the Kill, a similar game which has been out longer has a healthy user base and 6.5 million sales.

We don't know how well console-market will respond to this genre, but it's a healthy genre in the PC market.

DesiacX

If weve learned anything from all of this, its that they need to separate the release time frame into it's own sentence, possibly on its own slide/screen
unless this effect is something they want to cause.
. On a side note, now im unable to not process the idea of a games release time frame being near anything on one of those ending slides.

Man you guys are embarrassing.

This game is the biggest game of the year so far. It's all anyone talks about these days. There's no way It won't come to Ps4.

Although, MS being a publisher will more than likely mean a better optimised console version of the game.

Unless of course Sony become the Ps4 publisher which is also entirely possible, then id imagine they too would give a hand in developing their consoles version of the game.

ViviOggi

This is the game you people play when you cream your pants over Crash exclusivity, go ballistic over wording in Nier:A PC threads and fight list wars over pieces of plastic
Fuck forced hardware exclusivity

That said, PUBG is obviously coming to PS4 at a later date

So Xbox players will be beta testing and PS4 players will get the finished product.

I am OK with this. This game will be a buggy mess at first if the PC launch is anything to go by. PC version is running really good these days, which proves the quality of the devs at hand.

Look, if MS wants to pay $$$ to keep an alpha and beta off of PS4, I think that is OK. Shady, yes. It's nothing Sony hasn't done in the past, though and Sony has no room to throw shade because of how they pay for Destiny DLC. PS4 players will very obviously get the game. This is just how these behemoth companies do business. It's not good for consumers, but sadly we have to live with it.

Mengetsu

So Xbox players will be beta testing and PS4 players will get the finished product.

I am OK with this. This game will be a buggy mess at first if the PC launch is anything to go by. PC version is running really good these days, which proves the quality of the devs at hand.

Look, if MS wants to pay $$$ to keep an alpha and beta off of PS4, I think that is OK. Shady, yes. It's nothing Sony hasn't done in the past, though and Sony has no room to throw shade because of how they pay for Destiny DLC. PS4 players will very obviously get the game. This is just how these behemoth companies do business. It's not good for consumers, but sadly we have to live with it.
It's the same thing with these games that have exclusive time windows on Xbox. By the time they hit the PS4 it gets the polished up version or the Definitive Edition with all the dlc and such tacked on for the same price as the vanilla version.

I waited an extra year to play Rise of The Tomb Raider but, got the full package and even got it on sale for 29.99 during the holiday sale. I hate timed exclusives but, I won't lie and say the benefits have been great as a PS4 only owner.

sense

Looks like it'll be a permanent console exclusive and people are saying it's misleading simply due to their own hope of it coming onto the PS4 IMO.

EDIT: Just seen Jez's tweets.
proving the point without meaning to is too hilarious.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I don't get what shared vision means. Will this shared vision not technically work on another console?

Shared vision as in getting it out this year on early access and the only way to make that happen now is for MS to step in and help. This will will help out the PS4 version also since MS will accelerate the development of the port. Until proven otherwise the exclusive period is for the early access granted that could be 6-12 months looking at the PC version.

Top Bottom