• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to publish PUBATTLEGROUNDS on Xbox One

xabbott

Sounds "exclusive" to me. The same kind as Nioh might be.
Distribution/publishing deal. Then when the game will leave EA, it'll come to PS4.

Except I don't think the publishing stuff really happens until it leaves EA/Game Preview. We Happy Few has been in Game Preview and console exclusive for a long time and only recently announced it's publishing deal (Gearbox) with the PS4 announcement.

angelic

Banned
Is this gonna be playable enough on a pad? It looks awesome, but also like it demands mouse precision for aiming. Hope they nail the feel of it and I'm all in.

What would really be fun is if Microsoft could convince Bluehole to require a cross platform option for the game to come to Ps4. No reason for those 100-person matches to be split between Ps4 and Xbox.

Tovarisc

Haven't Bluehole been saying they wanted their final 1.0 release of the game to be out by the end of this year? While obviously PC and console development are not going to be in sync, I have a hard time imagining a situation where the PC is at it's 1.0 release while it's console counterpart lags behind that for more than a year.

Core content may be in near sync, but console version has to go through a lot performance and control ironing.

Except I don't think the publishing stuff really happens until it leaves EA/Game Preview. We Happy Few has been in Game Preview and console exclusive for a long time and only recently announced it's publishing deal (Gearbox) with the PS4 announcement.

The wording though is important.

Arklite

I feel like there's a decent chance this is going to end up like Counter-Strike where the game is huge on PC but never quite takes off on consoles.

If it were just about the shooting mechanics you might be right. The open map, looting, and more direct co-op aspect will make it more widely appealing though.

yuraya

I feel like there's a decent chance this is going to end up like Counter-Strike where the game is huge on PC but never quite takes off on consoles.

It will be successful but people should really not be comparing it to games like minecraft lol. Minecraft became a success because every parent bought it for their child. PUBG is a very competitive shooter that needed many years of modding before games like it turned into a legit genre on PC. Consoles have never had anything like this so it'll be interesting to see how well it does.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The primary audience for shooters is on console. PUBG could easily crossover into the CoD/Battlefield crowd - the sort that would never play the game on PC. For the game to reach its' full potiental, it'll need that playerbase.

I doubt PUGB would appeal much to the CoD/Battlefield crowd. The experiences those players crave is way different then PUGB.

MattAces

DHsskU-UAAAfKWQ.jpg:large
more

farisr

The stupid wording during the conference definitely made it feel like a ROTR situation, which was also published by MS.

Pif

Banned
Fuck, looks like a full year of timed exclusivity.

Was looking forward to a summer release on PS4...

Dabanton

I doubt PUGB would appeal much to the CoD/Battlefield crowd. The experiences those players crave is way different then PUGB.

It actually appeals to GTA:Online players

Some people have already been doing bootleg versions of PUBG within that game world.

I actually can see R* doing it for real. I mean they already have 30 player servers on the next gen.

I thought Spencer told us he didn't like doing this

He also told he had a good time in Japan visiting developers.

I don't know, at this point Spencer is behaving so strangely he deserves his own Spencer Mansion in a MS published Resident Evil title, coming exclusively to Xbox, whether it is console exclusive or not.

MattAces

He also told he had a good time in Japan visiting developers.

I don't know, at this point Spencer is behaving so strangely he deserves his own Spencer Mansion in a MS published Resident Evil title, coming exclusively to Xbox, whether it is console exclusive or not.

Maybe he did had a good time in Japan? The food or hotel is nice there.
To be fair, he got Code Vein.

Tagyhag

I'm exclusively talking about sales potiental. It's a similar situation to Minecraft in a lot of ways. That game was HUGE when it was just on PC.

When it hit console/mobile, that's when it became a cultural phenomenon.

Today I learned that WoW and LoL were never cultural phenomenons.

Let's not even talk about FNAF.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
umAWLXW.png

Although I have to say "getting the game to Xbox players faster" is a fun twist on "delaying the game for PS4 longer" so kudos to them! :p

Is this gonna be playable enough on a pad? It looks awesome, but also like it demands mouse precision for aiming. Hope they nail the feel of it and I'm all in.

Take a look at Battlefield for comparison. Aim assist will fix any issues, or they will go even further and add a GTA5 style lockon.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's in preview. The whole idea is games that aren't finished.

It isn't like this is going to retail anytime soon.

Again, I don't expect a proper build running on both XB1 consoles this year. There's a very small off-site team working on the port.

Chobel

I'm surprised Bluehole is allowing MS to take a significant chunk of revenue by publishing PUBG on Xbox, I don't think they needed MS help to market it.

Theorry

I'm surprised Bluehole is allowing MS to take a significant chunk of revenue by publishing PUBG on Xbox, I don't think they needed MS help to market it.

But they need help to make it i guess. Not enough console expertise in the studio?

I thought Spencer told us he didn't like doing this

Not much of a chance is the other console doesnt have the option.
He said btw he doesnt like marketing deals wich lock out strikes or other stuff like in Destiny.

Chobel

But they need help to make it i guess. Not enough console expertise in the studio?

Not much of a chance is the other console doesnt have the option.
He said btw he doesnt like marketing deals wich lock out strikes or other stuff like in Destiny.

They had that help since last time when announced Xbox port (E3), and it was self published then.

Top Bottom