• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to publish PUBATTLEGROUNDS on Xbox One

aeolist

Banned
In defense of console users, the two biggest profile games of the genre (DayZ, H1Z1) had hype. But they're vapor ware.

even discounting the open world survival aspects i don't think the more simulation style shooters with lots of kick/recoil on the guns and bullet travel time/drop have ever been well-liked on console, simply because the controls make it more difficult to manage

Lifeline

For a game like this?

This isn't an on rails action adventure game. The console community might take to it, or it might not. We won't know until it hits Xbone.

It's a less polished, open-world, jankier version of Rainbow Six Seige and Last of Us Factions multiplayer. Let's not pretend this is revolutionary gameplay that console players are not master race enough to appreciate.

Dadasch

No matter how Micrsoft worded this announcement, people would accuse them of being intentionally misleading.

Dude, that's simply not true.
Look at that statement without knowing anything in this gaming industry. What would you understand out of that statement on Twitter? And don't lie to yourself.

Now imagine they wrote "Timed Exclusive" instead.

How is it in any sharp or form comparable?

Would be one of the smartest things MS could do tbh. Good move if it's actually exclusive and not timed.

Um... no? If you just take CS:GO, Overwatch and PUBG PC numbers you'd probably beat all the consoles games.

Let's compare apples to apples. PUBG is a multiplayer, open world third person/first person shooter hybrid. So, fairest comparison would probably be the current market leader in that segment - GTA V.

Steamspy estimates about 7.8M people own the game on Steam.

The game has sold over 75M copies total, as of February.

ClumpSoul

Neo Member
For a game like this?

This isn't an on rails action adventure game. The console community might take to it, or it might not. We won't know until it hits Xbone.

My guess is we see a PS4 port mid 2018.

It will be an interesting litmus test. If Bluehole can get around UI and controller compatibility I can see the game doing well. The main problem with PUBG (on console) is how closely knit KB/M is to its core design.

In reality could MS do something that stops this game from ever going to PS4? sure its possible but wouldn't be smart for MS and it would take so much money it would only be smart for Bluehole is they got minecraft money

Tovarisc

The primary audience for shooters is on console. PUBG could easily crossover into the CoD/Battlefield crowd - the sort that would never play the game on PC. For the game to reach its' full potiental, it'll need that playerbase.

"To be real game it needs those console versions and playerbase"?

Lifeline

Let's compare apples to apples. PUBG is a multiplayer, open world third person/first person shooter hybrid. So, fairest comparison would probably be the current market leader in that segment - GTA V.

This just made me realize how badly I want a battle royale mode in RDR2. It might just make the online focus Rockstar is putting into it worth it.

Stygr

Banned

RedRum

Banned

I guess if it isn't on PS4 the game will flop and never reach its full potential. /s

Developers would be complete idiots to ignore PS4 userbase. Great way to jeopardize your future.

LoL. Is this is seriously the sentiment that people are posting???

I'm exclusively talking about sales potiental. It's a similar situation to Minecraft in a lot of ways. That game was HUGE when it was just on PC.

When it hit console/mobile, that's when it became a cultural phenomenon.

frbrr

jet1911

The primary audience for shooters is on console. PUBG could easily crossover into the CoD/Battlefield crowd - the sort that would never play the game on PC. For the game to reach its' full potiental, it'll need that playerbase.

There's almost 10x more people playing PUBG on PC right now than people playing BF1 on every platform.

Jawmuncher

Sounds exclusive to me. Feels like a Nioh situation where Sony published that.
If that's the case hopefully they push for some sort of cross play. Yeah yeah "BUT PC WILL OWN US". Make it an optional server. if it's as big of a success as it is on PC, you can make it an optional server/mode.

These games have nothing in common. This is a PC , mouse and keyboard game, alright? Shooting at extremely large distances, pixel point accuracy at moving targets. It goes like this :

https://youtu.be/Q-O_2_eZ5uk?t=22s

Console games in the meantime are designed like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL1_ht1EdAU

How did Counter Strike on consoles do? How did Team Fortress 2? Diablo 3 has 80% of its install base on PC. PC designed games are not console games. We'll see how well it will do, if its actuallly redesigned to play well on consoles or its just a "lets port it for the fuck of it, even if it doesnt work well on pads". But this "if its not on ps4 its not reaching its true pottential" nonsense should stop

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yeah, console people just won't be able to handle this game because it isn't on rails and doesn't have lock on, what a bunch of chumps!

Sorry people are excited that the game is coming to console/s, it will be OK.

Dabanton

Developers would be complete idiots to ignore PS4 userbase. Great way to jeopardize your future.

From the looks of things MS was offering technical info and full control of their own game.

For some devs that's more important than an install base and lets be honest here. their success on PC means they can leave that PS4 base and still be making lots of money.

yes. the fairest comparison is obviously a game that came out on TWO console generations before coming to pc.

It also is a game that when sold at any retailer other than Steam it does not add to the Steam numbers. All other retailers sell the non-Steam version. The 7.8 million on SteamSpy doesn't represent anywhere near the entire sales on PC.

I'm exclusively talking about sales potiental. It's a similar situation to Minecraft in a lot of ways. That game was HUGE when it was just on PC.

When it hit console/mobile, that's when it became a cultural phenomenon.
WoW was a cultural phenomenon and it never came to consoles or mobile. Pokemon Go was a cultural phenomenon and it came to neither console or PC.

Hell the largest game in the world, LoL, is only available on PC.

You're argument holds no water.

The fact that you believe this to be an apples to apples comparison is as much proof as anyone needs that you just don't know what you're talking about

y'know, if your last few replies weren't enough proof to begin with. Stating that the 'primary shooter audience' is on console is preeeety naive

libregkd

In reality could MS do something that stops this game from ever going to PS4? sure its possible but wouldn't be smart for MS and it would take so much money it would only be smart for Bluehole is they got minecraft money
I mean if they gave them a shit ton of money, sure? They are just publishing the game, they weren't sold the rights to it so Microsoft publishing the game on the Xbox One doesn't really mean much when it comes to other potential platforms. There are plenty of games that are published by Microsoft (and Sony) that end up getting released elsewhere. The devs have said an eventual PS4 version would come out (exact wording being "We definitely have plans and thoughts for other platforms"). That could obviously change with discussions between Bluehole and Microsoft go on and contracts are drawn but until then it's not crazy to assume the game is just a timed exclusive.

Anything longer than 9 months is pretty much an exclusive for me. Potentially dodgy marketing wording aside.

This game could remain in preview for more than a year. That is a major get.
Haven't Bluehole been saying they wanted their final 1.0 release of the game to be out by the end of this year? While obviously PC and console development are not going to be in sync, I have a hard time imagining a situation where the PC is at it's 1.0 release while it's console counterpart lags behind that for more than a year.

Sounds exclusive to me. Feels like a Nioh situation where Sony published that.
If that's the case hopefully they push for some sort of cross play. Yeah yeah "BUT PC WILL OWN US". Make it an optional server. if it's as big of a success as it is on PC, you can make it an optional server/mode.

Sounds "exclusive" to me. The same kind as Nioh might be.
Distribution/publishing deal. Then when the game will leave EA, it'll come to PS4.

I feel like there's a decent chance this is going to end up like Counter-Strike where the game is huge on PC but never quite takes off on consoles.

Top Bottom