• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to publish PUBATTLEGROUNDS on Xbox One

Do we have a date of when I can play this on my Xbox? Don't give a shit about anything else. I really want to check this game out.

People claiming a game already at 7 million users needs any sort of other user base to be a success sound crazy.

dlauv

Resi4-gc-cover.jpg

It's not that big of a deal, guys. It's exclusive as far as anyone should be concerned (and it will be until it isn't). That's how the developer and publisher agreed to play this. The developer might find a different publisher later ala Ninja Gaiden 2.

Bsigg12

Do we have a date of when I can play this on my Xbox? Don't give a shit about anything else. I really want to check this game out.

People claiming a game already at 7 million users needs any sort of other user base to be a success sound crazy.

Brendan (PlayerUnknown) just keeps saying 2017. It's likely a once it's stable enough to add thousands of players type of thing. Personally, I'm expecting October.

Durante

I'm surprised Bluehole is allowing MS to take a significant chunk of revenue by publishing PUBG on Xbox, I don't think they needed MS help to market it.
There's nothing really telling us that MS is taking a significant chunk (beyond what they take on Xbox anyway). Maybe they are providing technical assistance, publishing and marketing simply for a 6 month / 1 year console exclusivity window.

Salty Hippo

umAWLXW.png

Although I have to say "getting the game to Xbox players faster" is a fun twist on "delaying the game for PS4 longer" so kudos to them! :p

I dislike Spencer more than anyone but he's talking about DLC in that tweet. Destiny 2's to be more specific, which is a huge game from a huge team and publisher. The PUBG deal is nothing anyone should be applauding, but the context is a bit different.

Gowans

Sounds like MS are supporting with development, controls, console expertise and advice and development to accelerate bringing it to the platform.

Makes sense they are moving to more of a publisher releationship/partner to get it out the door.

Came across from the post E3 interviews that they were happy to include ms as much as possible for support.

angelic

Banned
Take a look at Battlefield for comparison. Aim assist will fix any issues, or they will go even further and add a GTA5 style lockon.

I hope you're right, give it a healthy aim assist so pad players can concentrate on strategy...not impossible headshots.

People keep complaining that Microsoft doesn't have enough exclusives under their belt to justify purchasing a Xbox. I can't fault them for trying.

I dislike Spencer more than anyone but he's talking about DLC in that tweet. Destiny 2's to be more specific, which is a huge game from a huge team and publisher. The PUBG deal is nothing anyone should be applauding, but the context is a bit different.

It's different in that Sony is completely upfront about what is exclusive and that content eventually releases to everyone after the specified term. Spencer prefers using deliberately misleading language to sow uncertainty and doubt backed by contractual requirements that the devs not divulge the true nature of the exclusivity.

RedRum

Banned
People keep complaining that Microsoft doesn't have enough exclusives under their belt to justify purchasing a Xbox. I can't fault them for trying.

The rhetoric.

"Xbox doesn't have exclusives whatsoever and needs them!" > "What?? An Xbox 3rd Party exclusive?? Timed or full exclusivity? > "PS4 will eventually get it. Can't ignore 60+ million player base. Game will fail if it does."

Cipherr

Good for them. This game is about as much of a sure thing as possible. They are smart to lock it up as much as they can; even if temporary it will be a huge fucking advantage for them.

Shows that they have their finger on the pulse of gaming to a degree. All three (yes Nintendo and their Switch included) should have been fighting for a port of this game. Period.

Good for them. This game is about as much of a sure thing as possible. They are smart to lock it up as much as they can; even if temporary it will be a huge fucking advantage for them.

Shows that they have their finger on the pulse of gaming to a degree. All three (yes Nintendo and their Switch included) should have been fighting for a port of this game. Period.

Who's to say all did, but MS won out?

Ultimately, a deal is signed with one, and it's a deal that entails "no comment on other platforms till further notice."

It would be so much simpler if if was exclusive to one platform. My IRL friends are on Xbox, but my online friends are on PS4.

Please don't make me double dip D:

EvB

Wiiipedia page has been swiftly updated to show the new publisher , but has also be updated to say it’s coming to PS4, then locked so it cannot be edited.

Interestingly, thecompany who are porting it; Anticto have also done some of the dev work for Crackdown’s cloud features and Unreal 4 integration.

Dabanton

Agree if a company wants to pay to get a game exclusively or timed so be it. But to pay so DLC content is purposely held back on a game that's out at the same time as another console version is fucboi activities.

EvB

I'm surprised Bluehole is allowing MS to take a significant chunk of revenue by publishing PUBG on Xbox, I don't think they needed MS help to market it.

They are doing exactly what they did with Minecraft , they’ve gone to a small developer who has had huge success on PC (in a very short time) who has zero experience in the console space and they have arranged for another studio to port the game to console and presumably maintain and continue development parrellel with that of the main game.

It’s even the same situation because Microsoft published Minecraft on Xbox too. And then Minecraft was brought to other platforms by other publishers.

Aters

Guess what, you'll be regretting that decision.

How? Vita is already dead. It just depends on the future PS4 exclusives which you have no idea if he cares about or not. How would you "guess" he will regret it?

Killzone shadow fall and rainbowsix say hello, great games and mechanics whilst accessible. They play great with no aim assist

Not sure about Killzone but Rainbow Six is fine because it's just close quarter. Engage distance in PUBG is often greater than a hundred meters, aim assist is definitely necessary.

Chobel

Agree if a company wants to pay to get a game exclusively or timed so be it. But to pay so DLC content is purposely held back on a game that's out at the same time as another console version is fucboi activities.

Pay so the whole game is purposely held back? That's OK
Pay so small DLC content is purposely held back? "fucboi activities".

LOL Please!

They are doing exactly what they did with Minecraft , they've gone to a small developer who has had huge success on PC (in a very short time) who has zero experience in the console space and they have arranged for another studio to port the game to console and presumably maintain and continue development parrellel with that of the main game.

It's even the same situation because Microsoft published Minecraft on Xbox too. And then Minecraft was brought to other platforms by other publishers.

The thing is, the bold was already happening before MS became the publisher.

EvB

Had it been confirmed that a console port was in the works before Microsoft unveiled it at E3?

And when exactly did Microsoft become th publisher?

As people have already point out, Minecraft arranged for 4J to port Minecraft and published it on Xbox.

It was then published by Sony and Nintendo using the 4J version of the game.

There are lots of Parrallels here, as Rufffian games (Crackdown 2 developer) and 4J studios shared an office.

Real-time worlds (Crackdown developer) used Anticto’s software in APB and Anticto has contributed Tech to Crackdown 3 and Cloudgine’s (Crackdown 3 Developer) “They came from space”

quest

Not Banned from OT
Pay so the whole game is purposely held back? That's OK
Pay so small DLC content is purposely held back? "fucboi activities".

LOL Please!

Actually yes because those who paid the same are money get less content. This very well could be a early access only exclusive. Which would be on Sony for no early access program. We have no idea at this point.

Actually yes because those who paid the same are money get less content. This very well could be a early access only exclusive. Which would be on Sony for no early access program. We have no idea at this point.

Isn't that less content stuff that they did not pay for yet or are we talking about free DLC?

I think both postponing DLC and a game release are bad marketing tactics in the gaming industry and would hope that they both could go away. They probably won't.

Chobel

Had it been confirmed that a console port was in the works before Microsoft unveiled it at E3?

No? But console port was confirmed at E3 and MS was not the publisher at that time.

Is this a joke? You'd rather have the game not available at all?

EvB

No? But console port was confirmed at E3 and MS was not the publisher at that time.

That’s your assumption , because it hadn’t been announced.
However we now know that the studio who is porting it has close ties with MS anyway. So unless they have also changed developer since E3 (and this new developer is on schedule to deliver it by the end of the year), I think it’s quite unlikely that nothing internally has changed between then and now.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Is this a joke? You'd rather have the game not available at all?

Sony gamers still getting this game. Good chance they get it retail same day as Xbox gamers. The exclusive period probably will be the 3-6 months of early access.

EdgeXL

It's different in that Sony is completely upfront about what is exclusive and that content eventually releases to everyone after the specified term. Spencer prefers using deliberately misleading language to sow uncertainty and doubt backed by contractual requirements that the devs not divulge the true nature of the exclusivity.

Like they were with the Crash N. Sane trilogy?

13ruce

Banned
They really should buy full console exclusivity they need a couple of titles like this. Otherwise even Switch will beat em in lifetime sales later.

No decent first party support so they kinda need stuf like this.

Soi-Fong

They really should buy full console exclusivity they need a couple of titles like this. Otherwise even Switch will beat em.

Not really a smart move by Bluehole if they do that. 60+ million users and counting isn't something any sane developer would let go.

EvB

Not really a smart move by Bluehole if they do that. 60+ million users and counting isn't something any sane developer would let go.

Which is why it totally isn’t happening.

Which was exactly why Mojang were never going to let Minecraft be exclusive to 360.

And it wasn’t

EmiPrime

What's wrong with that?

Everyone keeps bashing Xbox for not having enough exclusives.

Because negotiating for console exclusive ports from a position of weakness (half user-base of PS4) is a really stupid way of trying to fixing that. Better to plan for the future, expand current studios or establish new ones instead of throwing down silly money for one game.

They have the timed exclusive via early access, that's a big coup for Xbox already.

watershed

Banned
This was the best pick up for XBOX at E3. Battlegrounds is one of those big community games that just seem to drive eyeballs on streams and stuff.

I don't understand the fuss here. Clearly pubg is already a success story and it seems they had plans for console but wanted to get it right on pc first. Microsoft came in with a pile of cash and said get this on Xbox now. If Sony walks in with the same offer they will get the same response

Head.spawn

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS OT: It's Exclusive! Not exclusive... but EXCLUSIVE!!

I don't understand the fuss here. Clearly pubg is already a success story and it seems they had plans for console but wanted to get it right on pc first. Microsoft came in with a pile of cash and said get this on Xbox now. If Sony walks in with the same offer they will get the same response

Pretty much. Though Sony probably wouldn't want to disrupt their Fall courtship with Bungie and EA.

The reason it's coming to Xbox first, I have no doubt probably because Mike Ybarra is a massive fan of the game, played it on the regular, streamed it on the regular, filled his twitter feed talking about it and posting clips etc etc.. that is probably why they ended up talking to MS first.

Salty Hippo

I really don't think Sony even has a choice in Destiny 2's case. And no they're not upfront at all when it comes to a bunch of other games they tout as exclusives and then shadow release on other platforms later. If anything they're even less upfront because there's never any mixed message that people can pick up on.

Top Bottom