• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to halt sales of Xbox and all it's products in Russia

No, the point is to get the people of Russia to force Putin to stop invading Ukraine.
Even in the most optimistic of outcomes, Ukraine will have fallen long before any kind of popular action has managed to take place. Inertia is a hell of a thing. Plus pulling out of Ukraine without accomplishing strategic goals is literally not an option for Russia. Doing nothing, was worse than doing this. NATO had a chance to at least appear to care for the Ukrainian people, or people in general, by acceding to Russia's security demands. Then, when as is claimed Russia would have attacked anyway, they would have had the moral high ground. Thankfully, they are as shortsighted as they are greedy. And instead they send weapons to Ukraine, prolonging the inevitable fall and increasing the cost in human lives for both sides. Which is a-okay to them, since it's not the lives of their people being wasted.

Well all you're doing is succeeding in getting the average people of Russia to hate you. That's always a good plan. :p

Nobody gives a shit. Hopefully they will hate their own foolish dictator leader more, which is why he's threatening to throw them in prison for up to 15 years just for protesting the same war the significant majority of them are all against.

Make Russia an isolated society the exact same as the likes of North Korea. Make them completely cut off from the rest of the world if their leader doesn't stop what he's doing and demonstrates that he will never repeat it again. In fact, he must be removed from power in Russia, period, and all elements of his influence must disappear or else the U.S. and the rest of the world should keep all sanctions in place.

Our government prevents us from seeing what you peddle as "the truth". (Poorly, at that.) Your government prevents anyone else's truth from even existing, as they have absolute power to take it down. Not sure how it's even a contest at that point.
Yes our government decides who or what posts on those channels... you cant be serious right. Before putin you were allowed to post whatever you wanted on youtube and link it here. Nobody would stop you.But sorry, adolf putin decided differently.Please do not respond to me again unless you link me a video of Ukrainians celebrating the arrival of your (terribly trained) soldiers.

Nobody gives a shit. Hopefully they will hate their own foolish dictator leader more, which is why he's threatening to throw them in prison for up to 15 years just for protesting the same war the significant majority of them are all against.
I walked past an elevator technician today, who was cursing out NATO for sanctions as he and his company worked on installing new Belarusian elevators in our building.

I don't think you know a single thing about what the average Russian is thinking of this. :)

MrFunSocks

Banned
Even in the most optimistic of outcomes, Ukraine will have fallen long before any kind of popular action has managed to take place. Inertia is a hell of a thing. Plus pulling out of Ukraine without accomplishing strategic goals is literally not an option for Russia. Doing nothing, was worse than doing this. NATO had a chance to at least appear to care for the Ukrainian people, or people in general, by acceding to Russia's security demands. Then, when as is claimed Russia would have attacked anyway, they would have had the moral high ground. Thankfully, they are as shortsighted as they are greedy. And instead they send weapons to Ukraine, prolonging the inevitable fall and increasing the cost in human lives for both sides. Which is a-okay to them, since it's not the lives of their people being wasted.
You’re pretty out of touch with what’s going on from the sounds of it.

The Russian economy is getting absolutely fucked more and more with every passing day and every new sanction and business pulling services. The goal is to basically make Russia an island and force change.

PeteBull

There are if you look beyond the Western media. Of course, you can't actually look beyond the Western media. You're literally not allowed to.

Also I'm pretty sure intentionally cutting off water supply to a region is some kind of human rights violation. But you probably don't know anything about that either.

There is no such thing on the Western media. Not when it comes to Russia. There is none in our media either, especially when it comes to the West.
Did you believe that thing about the valiant defenders of Snake Island too? Because it was quite amusing here when they saw their glorious leader posthumously awarding them.
keep digging, man, keep on digging, it just shows how badly u are indoctrinated, every1 in the west saw the fuck u russian ship video, and we all loved it, or the one where captain from georgia telling russian ship told them to go to hell and use hand paddles- as a polish person i understood it too, same language family, was honey for my ears :) https://youtube.com/shorts/Cmj7zNudaq8?feature=share

EDMIX

Typical disgusting collectivist mindset, it’s ok to break some few eggs as long as we achieve our desired goals. The ends justifies the means. Evil.

Typical disgusting entitled millennial mindset. MS, EA, CDPR, Ikea, Ford, Apple, Spotify and many more don't need to support that country bud, you don't own them and you are not owed shit regarding this.

oh noes, someone can't use Spotify in Russia....eViLz

Mocking-Spongebob.jpg

"its ok to break some few eggs as long as"

Its ok to kill innocent children? Did we forget Russia did that or?

I walked past an elevator technician today, who was cursing out NATO for sanctions as he and his company worked on installing new Belarusian elevators in our building.

I don't think you know a single thing about what the average Russian is thinking of this. :)

Nobody cares. If they're angry about sanctions, that's great. That means they're working. Know what I care about? Bullshit like this.

C5JxaL1.jpg

If average Russians care enough also, maybe they'll raise some hell by the millions, enough that the government can't squash it.

Louay

unless you go war with Russia, Putin wouldn't Fall.
the chances of Military overthrow are also low/slim

reksveks

I am confused, did someone just argue that cause Putin's crazy and was going to invade Ukraine, the Ukrainian people should have just been okay with it and effectively roll over?

I'll just leave you all to your fantasies, heh. Didn't I just say it's pointless to fight the Western propaganda machine? I'm not listening to my own advice, apparently. :p

Anyway, much like the case with incompetent russian soldiers, that's all good. You carry on. The less you think of us the better. We wouldn't want to interrupt your gloating while we look after our own interests rather than yours.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Let’s see about that when the Russian population is almost completely cut off from the outside world, can’t buy anything cause they have no access and their dollar is worth nothing, can’t leave Russia because of travel restrictions, and the only one to blame for it all is Putin.

Even if Russia takes Ukraine these sanctions aren’t going away. Russia either gets cut off from the world or Putin goes at this point.

Last edited:
I'll just leave you all to your fantasies, heh. Didn't I just say it's pointless to fight the Western propaganda machine? I'm not listening to my own advice, apparently. :p

Anyway, much like the case with incompetent russian soldiers, that's all good. You carry on. The less you think of us the better. We wouldn't want to interrupt your gloating while we look after our own interests rather than yours.
Wheres my proof before you run of like a wimp? Your interest should be saving whats left of your bank account.

Last edited:

laynelane

You interpret peoples' opinions on a war which is causing loss of life and suffering on both sides, coupled with threats of nuclear retaliation, as "fantasies" and "gloating"? It's hard to know what to say to that, actually, but I imagine you will simply "carry on".

Last edited:

Louay

Let’s see about that when the Russian population is almost completely cut off from the outside world, can’t buy anything cause they have no access and their dollar is worth nothing, can’t leave Russia because of travel restrictions, and the only one to blame for it all is Putin.

Even if Russia takes Ukraine these sanctions aren’t going away. Russia either gets cut off from the world or Putin goes at this point.
I guess we will see how these sanctions would affect them in long run.

PeteBull

Not true, back in the 80s u didnt need war and soviet russia crumbled, together with communism, back then they lost about 10k soldiers in afganistan, so roughly as many as they already lost now after 10days^^
Even now russian goverment admited they got 500 deaths among soldiers(ofc actual numbers are much bigger, even if u think logically 150k soldiers army fighting with very lil succes for 10days cant be only 500 deaths, but thats what currently russia is ready to admit ;)

and making them understand how shitty they being for not revolting against this war.
Well, the ones trying to revolt against the war and protesting are being jailed by the dozens, if not hundreds, so obviously it's not working too well for them at the moment.

DaGwaphics

To this is Russia, I don’t see this ending well. I don’t think the citizens will actually revolt.

It isn't just about that. Putin is playing the cat and mouse game that all of the super powers have feared the most. The old "I can do anything and everything I want or I'll nuke the world", on the bet that the rest of the world will not take up arms against them. The complete solidarity of democratic nations against the behavior is important because it places real costs on these actions. That alone could persuade other nations to not repeat this behavior, specifically nations that benefit and rely on being members of the world economy (China for example).

It seems like you got hooked into the Russian "propaganda machine" more than the rest of the world getting caught up in the "Western propaganda machine". I truly wish you good luck and hope you finally see the actual truth (not Putin's "truth") once Russia's economy collapses because of an unprovoked war from a dictator. Whatever spin you want to put on this, there is no universe where Putin/Russia are the "good guys" in this war

On topic, good, I hope Nintendo/Sony/Valve and every major video game publisher/develop follows suit too (and really every company that's physically able). It absolutely sucks for the Russian citizens what's going to happen to them, but it's a much better alternative (even to Russian citizens) than WW3 would be

Fredrik

It's more than this. Russians don't live isolated like it happens in North Korea. They know the world outside of their own country and travel everywhere for the past 30 years.

These measures will eventually backfire on Putin no matter how much he tries to stop his own people. No one wants this. His own people are against this war. They have already shown that even risking their lives when the war started last week...

What's going to happen when all foreign companies leave and Russia stops being able to trade almost everything with other countries? How long can Putin handle his own people? Yes they live in fear for obvious reasons, they are oppressed...but they won't be quiet forever. He's underestimating an entire population that will be hungry, unemployed and watching their own freedoms taken away from them.

Again, Russia isn't North Korea. Putin may even get Ukraine now but he won't be able to handle the ukrainian population....or his own in the long run.
Just my two cents. These things matter. These brands pulling out of Russia matters.

I quoted you because I agree with you and decided to add my point of view btw.
What makes it so powerful is that Putin can’t do anything about it. Just as western military has their hands tied and can just watch the invasion happen Putin can just watch the isolation happen. The world has finally found a way to make a country feel the consequences of a war crime besides just retaliating and drop bombs.

That was once true, but if he destroys Russia to a point where they're significantly weaker, less prosperous, quality of life is significantly worse, all of which will happen as these sanctions become more and more effective as the years go by, major players in Russia will start talking amongst themselves and steps will be taken that remove Vladimir Putin from power. It won't happen overnight, but we are witnessing the end of Putin's reign over Russia. Anything that makes Russia significantly weaker and less prominent on the world stage is something that, over time, will be heavily frowned upon by all.

MrFunSocks

Banned
What makes it so powerful is that Putin can’t do anything about it. Just as western military has their hands tied and can just watch the invasion happen Putin can just watch the isolation happen. The world has finally found a way to make a country feel the consequences of a war crime besides just retaliating and drop bombs.
Exactly. Imagine if cloudflare, Amazon, google, and Microsoft all went “fuck you Russia, you get none of our services” - there’s literally nothing Putin can do about it, and it would completely decimate the Russian economy instantly. Businesses essentially couldn’t function, couldn’t communicate with each other via the internet, couldn’t trade, couldn’t accept payments, and couldn’t stop any DDOS attacks against them.

Does it suck for the Russian citizens that want no part of this war? Absolutely, but you know what? That pales in comparison to how the poor Ukrainians feel and the consequences of letting Russia just invade countries with no consequences.

There’s really no way out of this for Putin now that doesn’t end up with him not being their dictator. He brought this situation on single handedly, and even if he was to pull out of Ukraine now the damage is done. We’re watching the end of his reign in real time.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Beck Bennett Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Airbus Jr

Banned
I dont hate russians i just dont like putin so im not sure this decision is the right thing to do ( punishing russian citizens)

Last edited:
I am not sure any of us (in USA) really knows what is going on over there, filtered thru the big gov / big media lens. I do know that lots of politicians have had a hardon to get into war with Russia for some time.

Strategists (from both sides) have warned since the nineties that NATO expansion would provoke Russia. Which is exactly what happened.

No clear “good guy” here yet, just a bunch of bad actors. Sanctions on Russia will just play into Putin’s hands (like others have pointed out). We should just fuck off and let them sort it out.

Of course, this war is being cheered on by all the forces that are acting outraged. This is the outcome they've been hoping for. They've done everything they possibly can to engineer it. Everyone smart saw it coming and no one in power did anything to stop it - in fact they did the opposite - so it stands to reason this is the outcome they wanted.

And Ukraine has no idea they are just being used as a pawn by people who could not give less than a shit about them. NATO countries are not going to intervene. They're just going to fuel and profit off the conflict via weapon sales until Ukraine is a smoldering ruin. Just like any number of South and Central American and Middle Eastern countries where they propped up puppet leaders and started arming them. Meanwhile, it's been open season for western businesses and politicians in Ukraine since 2014, which is another thing they do when they get one of their guys in. A buffet table of corporations and state funds to choose from. Like when it came out that Joe Biden's crack-smoking son was making around $100K a month or something sitting on the board of a Ukrainian gas company. That's just one of many stories. We just heard about it because it was Biden. I knew back in 2014 Ukraine had made a big mistake.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Well, the ones trying to revolt against the war and protesting are being jailed by the dozens, if not hundreds, so obviously it's not working too well for them at the moment.
they are 150m and Just 6k person's get arrested if just 5% of their population would manifest against
Putin they wouldn't even have jails where to put people. A chain reaction would be created but the problem is state censorship, propaganda and brainwashing of which that system is completely guilty.

War is bad and all but this is fucking wrong , it's not a democracy in Russia that people if sanctioned might overthrow government , it's just not fair to the common people of Russia who had no part in war

MrFunSocks

Banned
War is bad and all but this is fucking wrong , it's not a democracy in Russia that people if sanctioned might overthrow government , it's just not fair to the common people of Russia who had no part in war
So only democratic countries can overthrow their government? What?

If it were just Xbox i would be against it but all products is big time for Sony & Ninteno to do the same pull everything
Why would you be against it if it was just Xbox? Xbox can’t just do the right thing?

So only democratic countries can overthrow their government? What?

Why would you be against it if it was just Xbox? Xbox can’t just do the right thing?
Because Xbox is just gaming for regular russian gamers im against taking things away from regular gamer folks but now that MS will stop Azure and Windows and Office it will affect more than just gaming so im for it

MonarchJT

Banned
I dont hate russians i just dont like putin so im not sure this decision is the right thing to do ( punishing russian citizens)
No one should be against Russian people but Russians have to understand that there's something wrong going around...they have state censorship, propaganda and blackout from reality ... if you think Russians average Joe knows what is really happening in ukraine I assure you that you are being wrong.

Last edited:
I knew I'd see typical phrases here like 'woke' and 'vitue signalling'.

What do the people using these phrases actually want. Sit back and let Russia invade any country they like? Personally even if you think they are virtue signalling it's a million times better than invading a country and killing hundreds of thousands of people and create a million refugees.

I can't believe peoppe are moaning about virtue signaling instead of the country going to war.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I knew I'd see typical phrases here like 'woke' and 'vitue signalling'.

What do the people using these phrases actually want. Sit back and let Russia invade any country they like? Personally even if you think they are virtue signalling it's a million times better than invading a country and killing hundreds of thousands of people and create a million refugees.

I can't believe peoppe are moaning about virtue signaling instead of the country going to war.
It’s about Microsoft, on Neogaf - what did you expect?

Last edited:
Top Bottom