• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft "to discuss the recently revealed technical specifications and what they mean for gamers." tomorrow on Inside Xbox

Alphagear

See, why couldn't your other comments had been like this? At least this one isn't toxic.

That said the problem isn't so much relying on Halo/Forza/Gears (more IP is always nice tho, and technically companies like Nintendo rely on just a small handful of IP themselves like Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/Smash), but having consistent quality to them.

Only Forza has retained that consistent quality, but it's a sim racer and sim racers aren't as massive as they used to be. Gears flubbed a bit with 4 but by all accounts got back going in the right direction with Gears 5. Halo 4 and 5 had the opposite problems: 4 had a great SP but bad MP, 5 had a bad SP but great MP. Hopefully Infinite can deliver a great SP & MP and reinvigorate the formula with some new stuff too.

And yes Ninja Theory is looking very good atm, currently looking very forward to HB2 and Project Mara (which still has the best RT I've seen from any upcoming next-gen game so far, even if it's in-engine. Final game should be able to match that if not even better because apparently the scope is going to be smaller, like PT was on PS4 (but as a full game).

I personally don't think Halo currently is that bad. Just that the market is saturated by First person shooters and the standard is so high.

Wasnt the case when Halo 1 and 2 were released. Hardly any other quality first person shooters on consoles at the time.

Reminds me of what happened to Gran turismo. It was special at one time but now others have caught up and exceeded it like Forza. To make matters worse no one has to wait 4-5 years for each release like Gran turismo.

Microsoft needs to focus on different genres. SP, WRPG and maybe even horror.

GymWolf

watching right now finally.

imagine wasting obsidian on that...thing.
i hope it's like a tertiary project made by the floor genitor on obsidian.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Anyway...nothing really new was mentioned in the show, but the Grounded game did look a bit more appealing to me than before. Wish the artstyle were even more stylized than it is, though.

Grounded is starting to grow on me. When it was first revealed I was underwhelmed. But as I see more of it, I'm getting interested. I think the game looks pretty, but I too would prefer a more stylized, less cartoony art style. Something along the lines of Everwild would be great. I absolutely love the look of that game.

sircaw

Banned
Grounded is starting to grow on me. When it was first revealed I was underwhelmed. But as I see more of it, I'm getting interested. I think the game looks pretty, but I too would prefer a more stylized, less cartoony art style. Something along the lines of Everwild would be great. I absolutely love the look of that game.

I think it needs some combat text or damage indicators when your hitting bugs, perhaps i missed it in a previous showing..

LordOfChaos

All that powah, and all they're showing is retro/block styled indies.

Wonder what else they'll have to show it off besides Halo and Hellblade 2. Nothing here was impressive.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They really wanted to get the 'consistent sustained performance" quote out there, that seems like the main purpose of the XsX portion.

Which is okay, I guess

Sounds like "uncompressed pixels" all over again. Them drawing attention to something that most people simply aren't going to notice.

Definitely not a thing they'd make a point about if the performance differential with PS5 was that substantial either...

JLB

Banned
Sounds like "uncompressed pixels" all over again. Them drawing attention to something that most people simply aren't going to notice.

Definitely not a thing they'd make a point about if the performance differential with PS5 was that substantial either...

What was wrong with "uncompressed pixels" (i guess you are referring to high quality pixels though) ?

quest

Not Banned from OT

Random frame drops when games push these devices will be noticed. When the action gets heavy the sustained clocks will keep the series x keep the performance steady vs down clocking.

Zannegan

A preview of the ad campaign the sustained performance wil be front and center. Be like when the action gets heated in your favorite game the series x sustains performance to ensure your best performance.

Imagine the used game debacle and Sony rightfully taking advantage and forcing Microsoft to change. This time Sony can't change the horrible variable clocks and random performance.
I agree that MS is and should be capitalizing on Sony's missteps, but "horrible variable clocks and random performance" is the opposite of what we're hearing about PS5, no?

Speaking of missteps, based on the reactions in this thread, this seems like the first wrong foot in what has otherwise been a stellar PR campaign from MS on the XSX. Whoever thought that this was the message they needed now when they were already riding high on the wave of hype from the reveal needs to be demoted. Having watched (the first half of) it myself, it's not awful, just boring. I wish they would have taken the lid off of one next gen game, even a 3rd party title, and shown it running on the XSX in Alpha state. Gears Tactics continues to look great though.

ZehDon

Whelp, so it was a recap. I guess they’re not quite the master tacticians I guessed they might be. They needed to be clearer in what this was - because this was ultimately pointless and boring for those keeping up with the news.
After Sony’s misstep with the “Road to PS5”, and the misinformation rolling around, this felt like an opportunity to direct the narrative. With Sony’s new DualSense being shown off - which I think is gorgeous - Sony are starting to redirect the narrative.

With the PS5 console itself still to be unveiled, and sure to make headlines, and the price point questions still to be answered, Sony have room here to take back control from Microsoft’s early PR gains. Microsoft need to be on point moving forward. Clear messaging, defined expectations, meaningful content.

Great Hair

Banned
That technical deep dive was... disappointing to say the least.

Because there was no deep dive at all. Eveything said a month ago ... thankfully i missed the show. Was hoping to see something special, maybe even a new techdemo. BUT best was Sony´s DS5 which was a surprise.

AND did Microsoft purge the inside team AGAIN? Two new faces ... wonder how long these poor fellas will last.

What mis-steps? Overall Sony is pretty dominating this generation. Even those their last 2 big AAA flopped, the bunch before that all sold > 10 million each.

Look at all the best selling PS4 games:

1Uncharted 4: A Thief's End16 million[1]
  • 190,230 at retail in Japan[2]
  • 879,000 at retail in the United States[3][D]
  • 500,000 in Germany[4]
  • WW: May 10, 2016
Action-adventureNaughty DogSony Interactive EntertainmentYES
2Marvel's Spider-Man13.2 million[5]
  • 125,154 at retail in Japan[6]
  • WW: September 7, 2018
Action-adventureInsomniac GamesSony Interactive EntertainmentYES
3The Last of Us Remastered10 million[7]
  • 96,868 at retail in Japan[2]
  • NA: July 29, 2014
  • AU: July 30, 2014
  • EU: July 30, 2014
  • UK: August 1, 2014
Action-adventure, survival horrorNaughty DogSony Computer EntertainmentYES
4God of War10 million[7]
  • 101,703 at retail in Japan[8]
  • 1,900,000 in the United States[9]
  • 100,000 in Germany[10]
  • WW: April 20, 2018
Action-adventureSIE Santa Monica StudioSony Interactive EntertainmentYES
5Horizon Zero Dawn10 million[11]
  • 204,517 at retail in Japan[12]
  • 200,000 in Germany[13]
  • 286,538 at retail in the United Kingdom[14]
  • 915,000 digital sales worldwide[15]
  • NA: February 28, 2017
  • EU: March 1, 2017
  • JP: March 2, 2017
Action role-playingGuerrilla GamesSony Interactive EntertainmentLimited
6Gran Turismo Sport8 million[16]

All better selling than the best selling XBox One game: Halo 5 - 5 million. That's what's XBox hasn't had for 4 years now - a true system seller.

Zannegan

What mis-steps? Overall Sony is pretty dominating this generation.
The "missteps" are pretty clearly in reference to their handling/unveiling of their next gen hardware. And it's all the more surprising because not only have they (as you say) been dominating the generation on sales, but their messaging has been on point. At least, it was on-point up until the last couple of E3s.

No one is trying to (or even could) take away from Sony's dominance this gen, but their handling of the PS5's messaging so far has been pretty lame. Will it bring down the house? No. It might not even make a material difference in the end, because they have plenty of time to course-correct. But it's hard to argue that their presentation of the PS5 has been anything but a missed opportunity so far. People clearly want to be excited--just look at the reception of the PS5 logo and controller--but Sony isn't making it easy.

The comments are about execution not sales, and next gen not current gen.

ZywyPL

Banned
All better selling than the best selling XBox One game: Halo 5 - 5 million. That's what's XBox hasn't had for 4 years now - a true system seller.

All of the listed games were released in 2016 at earliest, whereas PS4 itself in 2013, which has sold 40-45MLN units before those games even arrived, so I don't know if you have the correct understanding what "system seller" means... I.m personally pretty sure 399$ was PS4's system seller, same as 499 was for X360. Average consumers are not into those retarded console wars, hence lowest price always wins their wallet.

Kenpachii

All of the listed games were released in 2016 at earliest, whereas PS4 itself in 2013, which has sold 40-45MLN units before those games even arrived, so I don't know if you have the correct understanding what "system seller" means... I.m personally pretty sure 399$ was PS4's system seller, same as 499 was for X360. Average consumers are not into those retarded console wars, hence lowest price always wins their wallet.

Jup this was also what the main reason was for the wii to succeed. Xbox360 was 500 bucks + hd tv which nobody had. that would already put you over the 1k, the PS3 was even a more expensive device. Yet the wii was pretty much 300 bucks and call it a day, exactly what people wanted.

All that powah, and all they're showing is retro/block styled indies.

Wonder what else they'll have to show it off besides Halo and Hellblade 2. Nothing here was impressive.
Obviously, this is a small side project. Obsidian is also working on a new AAA rpg. Obviously, MS is not going to show the big guns until closer to E3, just like Sony and Nintendo. It's really not complicated.

Whelp, so it was a recap. I guess they’re not quite the master tacticians I guessed they might be. They needed to be clearer in what this was - because this was ultimately pointless and boring for those keeping up with the news.
After Sony’s misstep with the “Road to PS5”, and the misinformation rolling around, this felt like an opportunity to direct the narrative. With Sony’s new DualSense being shown off - which I think is gorgeous - Sony are starting to redirect the narrative.

With the PS5 console itself still to be unveiled, and sure to make headlines, and the price point questions still to be answered, Sony have room here to take back control from Microsoft’s early PR gains. Microsoft need to be on point moving forward. Clear messaging, defined expectations, meaningful content.
IMO MS blew their load early.

What else is there to know about the console? Nothing. It's now just software.

You look at Sony and they have the whole stack still waiting to be showed off. This drip feeding of info is working so well right now generating massive interest.

We dont even know what's happening with VR. Devs are under strict NDA. No word on anything regarding the 1st party studios. Nothing on services. Funky specs via Road to PS5 is all we have a logo and controller lol. Come E3 Sony will be dropping nukes.
GAF and Era will be crashing all day.

Honestly thought MS would show some cool tech demos today. Didnt expect an indie show.
Says slot then that they will probably be holding back until E3.
Cant imagine what Forza Horizom will look like. MY GOD

Last edited:
Look. Enough.
This is the more powerful console, fuck your SSD...

But at the end of day, where are your exclusives?

Ive no reason to give a care about this console outside of being able to play the games I own from previous generations. Thats not worth launch day prices. Thats a mid gen "Well, since im here picking up a new vacuum may as well" sale.

What do you have that I dont already get elsewhere, MS?

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
My bad, 399 actually. So yeah, even further proof than price > everything else, people didn't even thought twice about abandoning Sony after amazing PSX and PS2.
Hehe, you surprised me with that, I actually thought it costed as much :messenger_face_screaming:

Since we're talking sales a bit, I think people overlook something important.
Xbox does well in US/UK more so than in other countries, those 2 combined along with some sales around the world was enough to make them sell 45M+.
While PlayStation dominated sales world wide by a large margin it's sitting at 102M+ (not to take anything away from that), I think for what it is Xbox did well in the current generation.
They really need a big Japanese developer though, should buy out Namco, Sega or Square-Enix and be done with it, they need something of that caliber to tip the scale further IMO.
Gonna have to break the bank or we'll keep going with 16 studios that fall short or come up short (in terms of pushing units sold).

ZehDon

IMO MS blew their load early.

What else is there to know about the console? Nothing. It's now just software.

You look at Sony and they have the whole stack still waiting to be showed off. This drip feeding of info is working so well right now generating massive interest.

We dont even know what's happening with VR. Devs are under strict NDA. No word on anything regarding the 1st party studios. Nothing on services. Funky specs via Road to PS5 is all we have a logo and controller lol. Come E3 Sony will be dropping nukes.
GAF and Era will be crashing all day.

Honestly thought MS would show some cool tech demos today. Didnt expect an indie show.
Says slot then that they will probably be holding back until E3.
Cant imagine what Forza Horizom will look like. MY GOD
I'm not sure I'd say Microsoft blew early. I think wanted to be first; that's an important distinction. They set the pace, and Sony has been lagging ever since. The interest in PlayStation 5 details, apart from it being another PlayStation, is mostly around "can it out perform the Series X?" because the Series X is a beast by all accounts. That's the power of getting out first. However, Microsoft need to have counter PR moves. When Sony reveals the PS5's appearance, Microsoft needs to have something to fire back with. With Sony reveals the PS5's price, Microsoft need to hit back. After today, I'm not sure they've got the foresight to match those kinds of Sony megatons, because this presentation just wasn't what was advertised. This stuff is all moot, of course. Price and games are the ace in the holes. If Microsoft come out cheaper with a better line up, they have a chance to clean up. If Sony comes out cheaper with a better line up, Microsoft will be on the backfoot from the get go, because Sony is riding the PS4's wave of success. But the lead up still counts for a lot in how the race starts. And, it's fun to speculate :)

And, hate to be the barer of bad news, but E3 2020 has been cancelled. For the first time since 1995, the ESA isn't holding a conference of any kind. GAF won't be crashing this year, I'm afraid. Microsoft have confirmed they're all digital for the rest of the year, thanks to COVID-19. Who knows when we'll be seeing anything.

Last edited:

B_Boss

Couple Xbox related gaming questions guys since I absolutely love the 2 series I’ll mention:

Is it true that a Perfect Dark will be developed for Series X? (I can’t even imagine...but maybe that depends on the devs and what they accomplish, etc)

Why is it that Rare stopped developing Killer Instinct? What I’d give as a gamer to see them develop one these days.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
[
Random frame drops when games push these devices will be noticed. When the action gets heavy the sustained clocks will keep the series x keep the performance steady vs down clocking.

It doesn't work like that.

"Random frame drops" occur during intermittent periods of peak load. i.e. the exact sort of scenario that the PS5 load balancing is best suited to handle.

Sustained power only helps if the hardware is struggling with the baseline (non-peak) requirements, and if not its simply a wasteful surplus.

[

"Random frame drops" occur during intermittent periods of peak load. i.e. the exact sort of scenario that the PS5 load balancing is best suited to handle.

Sustained power only helps if the hardware is struggling with the baseline (non-peak) requirements, and if not its simply a wasteful surplus.
Yeah but there's no advantage to the end user to variability versus fixed compute, the end result is the same and one comes without the convolution. Who cares if there's a wasted surplus? How would variability change a Series X experience?

It wouldn't.

quest

Not Banned from OT
[

Lol down clocking is totally the best way to handle heavy action. Or Sony could build proper cooling and not clock it short of just exploding to get to the magical 10tf mark for the marketing team. Light loads where it can run at max clocks is where it is best suited. The heavier the load the worse it is and performance is all over the map. It won't matter until after the cross generation is over and games start using the zen 2 and its power budget starts increasing. There is a reason Sony won't give any detailed charts and hard numbers on this like the SSD. Just mostly, a couple, slightly and other marketing speak like Microsoft in 2013.

Last edited:
Lol down clocking is totally the best way to handle heavy action. Or Sony could build proper cooling and not clock it short of just exploding to get to the magical 10tf mark for the marketing team. Light loads where it can run at max clocks is where it is best suited. The heavier the load the worse it is and performance is all over the map. It won't matter until after the cross generation is over and games start using the zen 2 and its power budget starts increasing. There is a reason Sony won't give any detailed charts and hard numbers on this like the SSD. Just mostly, a couple, slightly and other marketing speak like Microsoft in 2013.

Sony has multiple system selling games for PS5, the ones I listed. PS5s will sell like hotcakes because people will want to play Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Dreams, Little Big Planet 3.

I don't know what people were expecting from this seeing as these shows are typically just filler-ish. Better to wait until afterwards and watch the segments that look interesting on YT. Very interested in Grounded, and like how the updates to Sea of Thieves sound.

B_Boss

IMO XSX will look great next to the HDTV, although it would be nice if MS would add something in the front (like green X sign on xbox classic) because current design looks too simple.

69361_3_xbox-series-look-living-room_full.jpg

69361_5_xbox-series-look-living-room_full.jpg

Would certainly look more aesthetically pleasing (to me of course) in the center shelf directly under the TV. Course the shelf would need it’s center shelf removed but the Series X would look amazing there horizontally. I absolutely love Series X’s design.

Obviously, this is a small side project. Obsidian is also working on a new AAA rpg. Obviously, MS is not going to show the big guns until closer to E3, just like Sony and Nintendo. It's really not complicated.

I think every game shown was a current gen.

LOCs comment made no sense, these weren’t XsX games. So “powah” comment was just a weak drive by

Top Bottom