• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to "continue to invest in new gaming studios and content to expand our IP roadmap" in 8K filing.

intbal

They should sell off Activision Blizzard.
They need more cash to get the JSRF rights for backwards compatibility.

They don’t need to buy those divisions, those games already come to Xbox. Rich as Microsoft may be, money is money and they need to spend it where it actually matters. Activision is a huge investment and a double sided purpose to keep it out of the hands of Facebook or anyone else entering the market. purchasing those studios would’ve been the biggest waste of money. Embracer was a better fit.
Lol yeah, exclusives like deus ex, tomb raider, deus ex, thief etc wouldn't draw anyone into the Microsoft financial ecosystem 🙄

They want people buying 3rd party games on Xbox, and they want people joining game pass, exclusives lead to both

BreakOut

Lol yeah, exclusives like deus ex, tomb raider, deus ex, thief etc wouldn't draw anyone into the Microsoft financial ecosystem 🙄

They want people buying 3rd party games on Xbox, and they want people joining game pass, exclusives lead to both
They don’t seem to be too interested in “more”exclusives. They bought Activision/Blizz and I can pre-order Diablo 4 right now on my PS5. With that deal closing I just don’t see it being a studio that they would want to acquire. Clearly they didn’t either because it’s not like it was to expensive to outbid.
Microsoft has already bit off a pretty big hunk of steak, not only that but they are going to have to clean up the reputation behind that studio. Better for them to focus on the games that they are working on. Buying studios hasn’t really produced anything yet. There’s a serious need to focus their time and money on getting games out of development and into the players hands.
Also, You don’t need to own a studio to to put tat studios game on Gamepass. It’s much cheaper to buy the right to release it on gamepass then to buy the studio.

They don’t seem to be too interested in “more”exclusives. They bought Activision/Blizz and I can pre-order Diablo 4 right now on my PS5. With that deal closing I just don’t see it being a studio that they would want to acquire. Clearly they didn’t either because it’s not like it was to expensive to outbid.
Microsoft has already bit off a pretty big hunk of steak, not only that but they are going to have to clean up the reputation behind that studio. Better for them to focus on the games that they are working on. Buying studios hasn’t really produced anything yet. There’s a serious need to focus their time and money on getting games out of development and into the players hands.
Also, You don’t need to own a studio to to put tat studios game on Gamepass. It’s much cheaper to buy the right to release it on gamepass then to buy the studio.
They didn't buy buy the studios because they're already in dealings with Activision.... Literally the largest deal in video game history, and it hasn't closed yet. They aren't going to jeopardize it for a few studios. There's a reason they haven't bought anyone since, they're back on the market when it's done, and not a second sooner.

BreakOut

They didn't buy buy the studios because they're already in dealings with Activision.... Literally the largest deal in video game history, and it hasn't closed yet. They aren't going to jeopardize it for a few studios. There's a reason they haven't bought anyone since, they're back on the market when it's done, and not a second sooner.
That’s almost exactly what I said.
“With that deal closing I just don’t see it being a studio that they would want to acquire”
I’m sure the acquisitions aren’t done but they need to finish that deal. Even so, they have bought enough studios and not put anything substantial out. I’d rather see some AAA games that have real quality than a bunch of that keep getting delayed. But.. they need finish what is on their plate before everyone asks them to order more.

the green rats will finally be united with the blue hedgehog on wednesday... which wednesday you ask? doesn't matter, the glorious wednesday will come and we will bask in its glory!
Lol what? No such announcement I ever heard. Where did you get this from?

Lady Jane

Banned
Microsoft just needs to rip the band-aid off and buy Sony so we can confirm its the end and retire/hide in the Gary's Mod community.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
03_787_553552316014954531552085441.3062-375x250.jpg

BUURP
NIntendo and Sony fans, we sincerly love you at Microsoft but never forget:

Amazon, Apple, Google are your only enemies. Microsoft will protect you from them.
😍

Last edited:
https://microsoft.gcs-web.com/node/30786/html

Issue is whos left to buy that is relevant enough to have a high ROI that isn't an off-limited brand like Take Two or Namco?

I'm also concerned abut consolidation, with Sony thinking about scooping up Square (or part of it) and Microsofts continued search for acquisitions, It's feeling like there's a lack of independence.
Why would take two be off limits when they could buy ActiBlizz who has been a larger company for ages.

Ansphn

Did you have a chance to already play it? Please share.
Its exactly the type of games i dont play. This is a game that should be an the Android and Apple store for free but Xbox is headlining it on Gamepass. But i blame Xbox base for taking advantage of the $1 deal and then not subcribing for full pricing for Gamepass.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Its exactly the type of games i dont play. This is a game that should be an the Android and Apple store for free but Xbox is headlining it on Gamepass. But i blame Xbox base for taking advantage of the $1 deal and then not subcribing for full pricing for Gamepass.
I have no idea how you can compare F2P App Store games with something like Pentiment. It makes zero sense, at least call it a cheap indie or whatever else people say.
For someone that has no interest in that game you have a pretty strong opinion about it. I'm pretty excited about it, alone by who makes it. Love the art style. (Sorry for off topic)
Josh Sawyer has a pretty good CV as a designer so I’m confident it will be good.

Ansphn

For someone that has no interest in that game you have a pretty strong opinion about it. I'm pretty excited about it, alone by who makes it. Love the art style. (Sorry for off topic)
I have a strong opinion because i bought Gamepass for 12 months full price ( supported the subscription type model) then Xbox went and gave me game like Pentament and As dusk falls (both book-like games can be played with smartphone). WTF happened? They sold me on Starfield, showed me a long as list of exclusives and 30+ studios and now theyre giving me book-like games. Bait and switch and i'm pissed. They got me good.

Last edited:
Why would take two be off limits when they could buy ActiBlizz who has been a larger company for ages.
Because Take two is poorly run and is a money sink on Microsofts end, and execs get big money and partnerships on the Take Two end.

Remember Tale Two had financial issues sometime after GTA V had already sold nearly 20 million copies, not to mention their other games.

Also, Activision has a higher amount and diversity in IP that could produce ROI. Where for Take Two that's NBA2K, Grand Theft Auto, and that's pretty much it.

Did people believe that xbox was about to get dropped?

4k is overrated, 1440p is more than enough.
1440p is overrated 1080p is enough, you see how stupid this is? As assets become more detailed the resolution has to increase to show those details. So no 1440p isn't enough nor will 4k in time.

Fredrik

1440p is overrated 1080p is enough, you see how stupid this is? As assets become more detailed the resolution has to increase to show those details. So no 1440p isn't enough nor will 4k in time.
The Matrix UE5 demo still looks better than just about everything and it’s 1440p.

And I think if you would look at Avatar on a VHS tape you’d start questioning if higher output resolution is where gaming needs to go.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Theres something called diminishing return.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Couldn't "investing in new gaming studios" also mean expanding their new additions? (i.e. the studios they've acquired since 2018), Or creating new ones? That being said I'm always in favor of Xbox and Sony acquiring small and mid-sized studios, and big ones in very limited cases, so as long as they're not just buying up every studio in existence. So I'm happy with this news as it means potential for more content for me and more Game Pass additions, and the improvement in quality of the studios that get bought. I'd definitely rather they focus on the smaller studios and building them up rather than another massive publisher (Really I would've rather they spent the Activision money on a bunch of other studios, unless of course they decide to revive Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero in which case I'm all for it). Couldn't care less about 8K but there's always going to be a push for more pixels so it's whatever
I was just about to mention this. I agree that this statement can't just be interpreted as buying other studios as they own such a large collection of ip's currently. They could be investing in home grown studios to make these games. We will see.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I have a strong opinion because i bought Gamepass for 12 months full price ( supported the subscription type model) then Xbox went and gave me game like Pentament and As dusk falls (both book-like games can be played with smartphone). WTF happened? They sold me on Starfield, showed me a long as list of exclusives and 30+ studios and now theyre giving me book-like games. Bait and switch and i'm pissed. They got me good.

You did not buy 12 month game pass at full price. There's no 12 month game pass, you can only buy 3 months codes or you can upgrade 12 months of gold to GPU.

Your post history alone is telling. Don't make stuff up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
I think it would be less confusing if people used a hyphen when discussing 8-k forms.
People keep talking about wednesday, whet's happening on wednesday?
It's a long-running joke from earlier this year referencing when people thought MS was going to make a Wednesday announcement that it had bought Sega. Im not sure anyone actually believed it was going to happen but the joke has been born.

Edit: beaten

Ansphn

You did not buy 12 month game pass at full price. There's no 12 month game pass, you can only buy 3 months codes or you can upgrade 12 months of gold to GPU.

Your post history alone is telling. Don't make stuff up :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I didnt make shit up. I bought a 12 months Gamepass from Ebay. You can buy this right now.

I purchase it last September just to play Halo and that was pure trash too. Ask the Halo community. Now theyre giving me showelware. Gamepass is getting worst by the month.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I didnt make shit up. I bought a 12 months Gamepass from Ebay. You can buy this right now.

I purchase it last September just to play Halo and that was pure trash too. Ask the Halo community. Now theyre giving me showelware. Gamepass is getting worst by the month.

If you even did this in the first place, which I doubt, you did not buy game pass or at full price. This is account sharing.

But that's besides the point. I wouldn't keep myself subscribed to a service I didn't find useful. Since you mentioned you "got it" last September, your 1 year should almost be up. You don't have to bear with it for much longer.

Last edited:
The Matrix UE5 demo still looks better than just about everything and it’s 1440p.

And I think if you would look at Avatar on a VHS tape you’d start questioning if higher output resolution is where gaming needs to go.
The problem with lower resolutions is that they can't show enough detail which for certain artistic ideas it matters. Something like the matrix awakens looks amazing because of it's great RT lighting, asset quality and specially post processing. On the other hand though that demo looks amazing despite the limitations of current gen consoles, epic spent a lot of time toning down and optimizing aspects of UE5 for that demo.

But let's imagine this: what if epic would have made that demo for a console with a Zen 5, 12 core 24 thread CPU, 32GB of Ram, RTX 4080 and Intel Optane SSD. All of a sudden you'd know 1440p wouldn't limit epic's vision because they would easily go higher res, not only that but the demo could even have a 60fps mode and easily a 30fps mode with UE5s full features. It's like the difference between a game made for OG Xbox One and the same game made from the ground up for Series X, all of a sudden your not stuck at 800-900p because the GPU is stronger, there's twice the ram etc.

Nocturno999

Console makers are going to continue their retarded resolution race.
They can't even make 1440p games on time nor running at a stable frame rate.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The problem with lower resolutions is that they can't show enough detail which for certain artistic ideas it matters. Something like the matrix awakens looks amazing because of it's great RT lighting, asset quality and specially post processing. On the other hand though that demo looks amazing despite the limitations of current gen consoles, epic spent a lot of time toning down and optimizing aspects of UE5 for that demo.

But let's imagine this: what if epic would have made that demo for a console with a Zen 5, 12 core 24 thread CPU, 32GB of Ram, RTX 4080 and Intel Optane SSD. All of a sudden you'd know 1440p wouldn't limit epic's vision because they would easily go higher res, not only that but the demo could even have a 60fps mode and easily a 30fps mode with UE5s full features. It's like the difference between a game made for OG Xbox One and the same game made from the ground up for Series X, all of a sudden your not stuck at 800-900p because the GPU is stronger, there's twice the ram etc.
What if consoles would cost $3000, yeah well that would be something. But I would still think high resolution is a waste of system resources. I only just upgraded to 1440p this summer on my PC, it’s plenty enough. Ray-tracing, high fps, effects and post-processing etc etc do so much more.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Ozriel

M$FT

[/URL]

To put it mildly, your claims seem extremely implausible, based on your post history.
Just yesterday you were plugging conspiracy theories about MS subscription model. And now you're a believer who's aware of $1 Gamepass deals yet somehow went and paid for a year full price.

What if consoles would cost $3000, yeah well that would be something. But I would still think high resolution is a waste of system resources. I only just upgraded to 1440p this summer on my PC, it’s plenty enough. Ray-tracing, high fps, effects and post-processing etc etc do so much more.
Yea higher resolutions cost more computational power but I guarantee that if you go back 7 years you would be saying the same thing about 1080p, if you go back to the 360/PS3 era you'd be saying the same thing about 720p and assuming you were around back in the days of the PS2 I'm sure you were perfectly happy with 480i gaming, I know I was hell Mario Sunshine on my old 480i TV still looks great.

The point is there's a reason we pick a specific res and most of the time it has to do with technical limitations. The only reason they settled on 1440p for the matrix awakens is because that's as high as current gen consoles could go and when we get better hardware 1440p will become the 1080p and eventually the 480i of today.

Fredrik

Yea higher resolutions cost more computational power but I guarantee that if you go back 7 years you would be saying the same thing about 1080p, if you go back to the 360/PS3 era you'd be saying the same thing about 720p and assuming you were around back in the days of the PS2 I'm sure you were perfectly happy with 480i gaming, I know I was hell Mario Sunshine on my old 480i TV still looks great.

The point is there's a reason we pick a specific res and most of the time it has to do with technical limitations. The only reason they settled on 1440p for the matrix awakens is because that's as high as current gen consoles could go and when we get better hardware 1440p will become the 1080p and eventually the 480i of today.
I know but why not use that extra computational power for something that is actually seen when you sit a couple meters from a TV in the living room?

The reality is that gaming is still not matching how movies look on DVD. Devs should start building the image from the ground up with filters and post-processing and all kinds of image wizardry to reach that point, then when they’re actually matching a low res real movie they could start thinking about increasing the output resolution.

Three

I know but why not use that extra computational power for something that is actually seen when you sit a couple meters from a TV in the living room?

The reality is that gaming is still not matching how movies look on DVD. Devs should start building the image from the ground up with filters and post-processing and all kinds of image wizardry to reach that point, then when they’re actually matching a low res real movie they could start thinking about increasing the output resolution.
Because it's a lot easier when scaling for weak and strong hardware to just do the same thing faster (fps) or with better sampling (resolution) than it is to create new algorithms, engines, or increased asset creation. Having said that this is what the Matrix demo aims for with UE5 even though I think that could be better. It aims to make it look like the Matrix movie and the engine had a lot of work put into it with new ways of doing things.

Last edited:

Ansphn

To put it mildly, your claims seem extremely implausible, based on your post history.
Just yesterday you were plugging conspiracy theories about MS subscription model. And now you're a believer who's aware of $1 Gamepass deals yet somehow went and paid for a year full price.
Why the hell do you think I'm pissed off and "stirring" anti-subscription now?

I already explain why. Here I'll do it again.

1. I was once upon a time hyped as fuck for Gamepass/Subscription models
2. I bought a 12 months sub through Ebay last September 2021
3. Now it's August 2022 and I'm mad as fuck

Why?

Xbox sold me Gamepass and the huge catalogue/time-line of games coming to the service like Starfield, Halo, 30+ studios all coming to Gamepass.

Now its August 2022

...and all l got from them was another fucking Forza and the worst Halo in the history is the franchise. Starfield pushed to next year with no release date, the 30 studios didn't release shit, and now they're giving me book-like games like Pentament and As dusk falls..

Now do you understand how someone can be for Gamepass but now hate Gamepass and subscription model? Right now Playstation tiers is better than Gamepass and i still have not purchased a sub cause Gamepass damaged my trust in subscriptions.

And if you look more at my post history, you will see that i blame the $1 tiers and people taking advantage of it fucking up Gamepass. But then when i think about it, Micosoft is a 2 trillion $ company so i blame them more.

Last edited:
Why the hell do you think i'm pissed off and "stirring" anti-subscription now?

I already explain why. Here i'll do it again.

3. Now it's August 2022 and i'm mad as fuck

Why?

Xbox sold me Gamepass and the huge catalogue/time-line of games coming to the service like Starfield, Halo, 30+ studios all coming to Gamepass.

Now its August 2022

...and all l got from them was another fucking Forza and the worst Halo in the history is the franchise. Starfield pushed to next year with no release date, the 30 sudios didnt release shit, and now they're giving me book-like game like Pentament and As dusk falls..

Now do you understand how someone can be for Gamepass but now hate Gamepass and subscription model? Right now Playstation tiers is better than Gamepass and i still have not purchased a sub for that damage Gamepass damaged my trust in subscriptions.

And if you look more at my post history, you will see that i blame the $1 tiers and people taking advantage of it fucking up Gamepass. But then when i think about it, Micosoft is a 2 trillion $ company so i blame them more.
Even if Starfield wasn't delayed it would have came out after your supposed subscription ended. I guess I would have been mad too know I signed up to play something too early.

You can always go back to paying $60-$70 for titles. Lots on the forum seem to enjoy that. Thanks for stopping by and sharing.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why the hell do you think I'm pissed off and "stirring" anti-subscription now?

I already explain why. Here I'll do it again.

3. Now it's August 2022 and I'm mad as fuck

Why?

Now its August 2022

...and all l got from them was another fucking Forza and the worst Halo in the history is the franchise. Starfield pushed to next year with no release date, the 30 studios didn't release shit, and now they're giving me book-like games like Pentament and As dusk falls..

Now do you understand how someone can be for Gamepass but now hate Gamepass and subscription model? Right now Playstation tiers is better than Gamepass and i still have not purchased a sub cause Gamepass damaged my trust in subscriptions.

So let me get this clear.

Microsoft announced at E3 2021 that Starfield was launching November 11th 2022. Then you went out and bought a 12 month subscription in September that would expire in September 2022 and you expected to play Starfield with a November 2022 release date?

You apparently bought a 12 month sub in September 2021 and are upset at getting Halo and Forza Horizon 5 that were heavily advertised as Holiday 2021 games at E3?

Only ONE promised AAA game has been delayed outside your alleged sub window and that's Redfall, which you've never mentioned.

We've had folks lie for console warz before, but yours are so easily dispelled that it's almost insulting. At least put some effort into this. Yuck

Ansphn

So let me get this clear.

Microsoft announced at E3 2021 that Starfield was launching November 11th 2022. Then you went out and bought a 12 month subscription in September that would expire in September 2022 and you expected to play Starfield with a November 2022 release date?

You apparently bought a 12 month sub in September 2021 and are upset at getting Halo and Forza Horizon 5 that were heavily advertised as Holiday 2021 games at E3?

Only ONE promised AAA game has been delayed outside your alleged sub window and that's Redfall, which you've never mentioned.

We've had folks lie for console warz before, but yours are so easily dispelled that it's almost insulting. At least put some effort into this. Yuck
I did not buy the 12 month subscription for Starfield. It was for Halo - Infinite and all the other games they hyped with their 30+ studios and Starfield included. I don't care for Forza because GT7 was coming to Playstation ( Greatest racing franchise in the history of gaming). Why care about Forza when GT7 was releasing the same year? Why care bout regular steak when you're getting Wagyu? The only game i wouldnt be able to get are Xbox exclusives like Halo ( Greatest FPS franchise imo), + the stuff the 30+ studios would be releasing and Starfield was just the cherry on top and why i would be "extending" my subscription.

But instead what Gamepass gave me was the worst Halo ever chopped up into pieces and still not complete after nearly a year since it was released on Gamepass. And no other games from the 30+ studios except Forza. Then to make things worst, they're releasing booklike games like Pentament and recently gave me as dusk falls (Another booklike game..anyone see a trend?).

Where are the exclusives? Bait and switched. Xbox got me good but that's not going to happen again.

Last edited:

Ansphn

Even if Starfield wasn't delayed it would have came out after your supposed subscription ended. I guess I would have been mad too know I signed up to play something too early.

You can always go back to paying $60-$70 for titles. Lots on the forum seem to enjoy that. Thanks for stopping by and sharing.
I got the 12 months for Halo. Starfield would be what would get me to extend my sub.

And yes i'm happy to pay $70 for quality games that are not book like games.

Top Bottom