• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "There are no changes being made to Xbox Live Gold at this time"

ManaByte

"The update to 'Xbox online service' in the Microsoft Services Agreement refers to the underlying Xbox service that includes features like cross-saves and friend requests. This language update is intended to distinguish that underlying service, and the paid Xbox Live Gold subscription. There are no changes being made to the experience of the service or Xbox Live Gold," a Microsoft spokesperson has told us.

REE Machine

Banned
WelloffBiodegradableDromedary-size_restricted.gif

Vawn

Banned
Everybody keeps saying that Microsoft is lying all the time. So free online gaming confirmed?

Pretty much, yeah. There's way too much smoke here. Gold is going away, but they just aren't ready to announce it yet for a variety of reasons.

TimFL

They‘ll probably move the online play part into the base Game Pass tier.

Potential setup:
- Gold -> GwG and online play
- Game Pass -> includes online play (no Gold required, but also no GwG)
- Ultimate -> xCloud and Gold included

Vawn

Banned
Will Ferrel doesn't believe you.

They've already made changes gearing for this. You can't buy a year of Gold. And didn't we already confirm existing Gold memberships were getting swapped for GamePass (albeit for a much shorter duration)?

NickFire

They've already made changes gearing for this. You can't buy a year of Gold. And didn't we already confirm existing Gold memberships were getting swapped for GamePass (albeit for a much shorter duration)?
Excellent point. That in itself is a pretty big change.

sainraja

They might re-introduce Xbox Live Gold with Game Pass or it could be the tier before Ultimate and above Silver.

Vawn

Banned
Excellent point. That in itself is a pretty big change.

Yeah, IF they were keeping Gold and NOT letting people buy 12 months, they'd basically just be raising the price by quite a bit.

I really don't believe they are doing that. Gold is going away, as MS focuses solely on pushing GP.

Infamy v1

“At this time” isn’t a part of the quote from Microsoft.

Yes it is.

Verge

Something is happening. All the signals are there and extremely reliable insiders are hinting at things, too. This is like all the "concern" people had when they changed the XGP logo, to which their official twitter had to tweet out that it's still officially called Xbox Game Pass, and the Xbox logo is still there.

XBL Gold will probably still be a thing. Gold discounts, GWG, exclusive features. But base online gaming is looking like it will be F2P.

Dr Bass

Yes it is.

Verge

Something is happening. All the signals are there and extremely reliable insiders are hinting at things, too. This is like all the "concern" people had when they changed the XGP logo, to which their official twitter had to tweet out that it's still officially called Xbox Game Pass, and the Xbox logo is still there.

XBL Gold will probably still be a thing. Gold discounts, GWG, exclusive features. But base online gaming is looking like it will be F2P.

That makes zero sense. So you'll sign up for ten dollars a month for really old free games, and maybe some discounts, when Game Pass is also out there for ten dollars a month? The value of XBL Gold plummets if it's the same price but it's not required for online play.

I have no idea if Gold is going away or not, and I'm not going to pretend to know. But for those saying "why did they get rid of the yearly pass," I think an obvious potential answer is they want to push people towards non-discounted monthly payments. Get that MRR up for the company. I really don't think they are worried about people OVER subscribing to their services. They would just convert people with years of Gold left to "free" Game Pass for X months.

I'm definitely curious to see how this plays out though.

THEAP99

Banned
Yes it is.

Verge

You’re wrong on this one

This is the exact quote from Microsoft -

"The update to 'Xbox online service' in the Microsoft Services Agreement refers to the underlying Xbox service that includes features like cross-saves and friend requests. This language update is intended to distinguish that underlying service, and the paid Xbox Live Gold subscription. There are no changes being made to the experience of the service or Xbox Live Gold."

If you’re expecting anything more than free to play games not requiring Paid online anymore, you will be disappointed.

I will be so surprised if they get rid of the paid online wall completely . It’s free money

Last edited:

NickFire

That makes zero sense. So you'll sign up for ten dollars a month for really old free games, and maybe some discounts, when Game Pass is also out there for ten dollars a month? The value of XBL Gold plummets if it's the same price but it's not required for online play.

I have no idea if Gold is going away or not, and I'm not going to pretend to know. But for those saying "why did they get rid of the yearly pass," I think an obvious potential answer is they want to push people towards non-discounted monthly payments. Get that MRR up for the company. I really don't think they are worried about people OVER subscribing to their services. They would just convert people with years of Gold left to "free" Game Pass for X months.

I'm definitely curious to see how this plays out though.
I completely agree it is an obvious possibility for removing 12 month options. And I guess it could make a gamepass bundle more attractive. But it just seems to carry a lot of obvious risk in my humble opinion. If they go into launch without changes outside of no more 12 month option people will be talking about how they just raised the price for online. Maybe they don't care about that kind of talk though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So people who said that this was a stealth price increase were right?

Yearly being gone means this sub is now going to cost $100 a year if you buy the $25 3 months subs.

Very pro-consumer.

NickFire

Microsoft: We are raising the monthly price of XBL Gold by removing bulk purchasing options.

NeoGAF: OMG THAT MUST MEAN THEY ARE CANCELLING THE SERVICE AND MAKING IT FREE SOON!

(I told ya so)
I can't deny you predicted no changes. Still seems like set up for a megaton announcement with price reveal to me, but as of now you can still take a victory lap

pr0cs

All the recent promos for online games on Xbox say gold is required to play (even for unreleased games).
Gold isn't going away, no matter how much people wish it to be true
J96EZ7U.png

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I can't deny you predicted no changes. Still seems like set up for a megaton announcement with price reveal to me, but as of now you can still take a victory lap
I mean it's still possible some change is coming, but I don't really get why they'd even need to make some change ahead of time.. and then wait weeks/months for the real change. If they wanted to make a change like that, why not just do it all at once?

At this point all they've done is raise the effective monthly price of Gold.. it just seems really odd if their plan is to do that, and then weeks or months later go "HAH! Just kiddding! It's free!"

Last edited:
Just because Gold isnt changing doesnt mean xbox live online play wont go free.

You can keep everything Gold as is and make silver online play free but without the rest of the gold benefits.

reinking

Gold Member
Yes it is.

Verge

Even after Microsoft comes out and states Gold is not going away they are still trying to spin it? Sheesh. Microsoft is not giving up that sub money. Best case scenarios is they fold it into the Game Pass console version. At least then it adds value to the $10 month sub. I expect they will bring the annual discount back when they end the conversion into Game Pass.

Wizz-Art

Hmmm, I believe the statement. It's only logical! They should remove the Gold requirement for F2P though.

Oh my god, them saying publically that there is no change is so proof that they are going to change it. Phil's doing that 4D chess. Source: Me

Last edited:
Top Bottom