• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft says Xbox monthly active users hit a record 120 million

Draugoth

Gold Member
FnRCzB9X0BYjceN

Xbox reportedly attracted a record 120 million monthly active users during the quarter ended in December 2022.

During Microsoft’s second quarter earnings call on Tuesday, CEO Satya Nadella also claimed Xbox saw “new highs for Game Pass” during the quarter.

In gaming, we continued to pursue our ambition to give players more choice, to play great games wherever, whenever and however they want,” he said.

We saw new highs for Game Pass subscriptions, game streaming hours and monthly active devices. And monthly active users surpassed a record 120 million during the quarter.

We continue to invest to add value to Game Pass,” Nadella continued. “This quarter we partnered with Riot Games to make the company’s PC and mobile games, along with premium content, available to subscribers.

• Gaming revenue declined 13% in the 3 months ending Dec. In-line with guidance.
  • Implies ~ $4.74B in quarterly Xbox sales. The lowest since FY 2020 Q2.
  • Xbox Content & Services down 12%, again in-line with estimate.
  • Xbox Hardware sales were also down 13%.

That's a lot of declines
To be fair I haven't seen XSXs available here where I live in Australia since they were released, however I am seeing PS5 in stock and on the floor far more than previously.
I think Sony has been able to increase their production rate alot where as Microsoft hasn't been able to.
I expect to see Sony smashing sales this year judging by how much stock I am seeing, and as Australia is a low priority for Sony compared to USA or EU, I imagine those places are seeing an even greater supply as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGO

bitbydeath

To be fair I haven't seen XSXs available here where I live in Australia since they were released, however I am seeing PS5 in stock and on the floor far more than previously.
I think Sony has been able to increase their production rate alot where as Microsoft hasn't been able to.
I expect to see Sony smashing sales this year judging by how much stock I am seeing, and as Australia is a low priority for Sony compared to USA or EU, I imagine those places are seeing an even greater supply as well.

JB has them.

I saw a PS5 in Target the other day, first I’ve seen one out in the wild. Woah! :messenger_open_mouth:

Outside of sales seems to be a continuance of post covid decline hence why it’s in line with guidance. Covid was peak for all forms of content. If I’m an entertainment company I’m working on a new Strain to get people back inside.

Freeza93

Banned
Sx is sold out here since months. Ps5 is not. A few months ago it was the other way. Ps5 was sold out, Sx was available.

Both are growing even now.

But i see a future where only mega corps can afford to make games. Small ones will go broke or will be eaten up by the big boys.

Just like Ubisoft whored around to get bought. But nobody wanted that dirty hoe.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Outside of sales seems to be a continuance of post covid decline hence why it’s in line with guidance. Covid was peak for all forms of content. If I’m an entertainment company I’m working on a new Strain to get people back inside.
Which is why Disney is making people go back to the office. Time to incubate some new strain.

On a serious note, how did the HW decline by 13%. That is atrocious for a 2 year old platform. Did they drop the ball on supply that bad or did they do it because they knew demand wasn't there? Right now I could not buy an XSX on Amazon. Google gave a false positive at Target, but I could buy one for MSRP at Newegg. So they are available, but not plentiful. I can get a PS5 at newegg too and a GoW bundle at my nearest Gamestop. Similar situation, available but not everywhere and only as a bundle.

Whatever. I am going back to play some gamepass on PC.

JB has them.
[/URL]

I saw a PS5 in Target the other day, first I’ve seen one out in the wild. Woah! :messenger_open_mouth:
Didn't know the Forza bundle was out. Bit late in the piece to be doing that lol.
Not only that but the game is free on GP and discounted in store, so I don't know how they think that bundle is of any value, which is probably why it's still available.

JB had tons of PS5s in the lead up to Xmas, they even had a heap out on the floor which I haven't seen before.
Drove past my local one yesterday and they had a hand written note on the window saying "PS5 in stock now"
Looks like Sony might be finally getting on top of the supply issues.

ByWatterson

I know Microsoft wants to move past the console, but it still seems like revenue is directly linked to hardware sales.

When does Microsoft think the future will finally arrive?

Which is why Disney is making people go back to the office. Time to incubate some new strain.

On a serious note, how did the HW decline by 13%. That is atrocious for a 2 year old platform. Did they drop the ball on supply that bad or did they do it because they knew demand wasn't there? Right now I could not buy an XSX on Amazon. Google gave a false positive at Target, but I could buy one for MSRP at Newegg. So they are available, but not plentiful. I can get a PS5 at newegg too and a GoW bundle at my nearest Gamestop. Similar situation, available but not everywhere and only as a bundle.

Whatever. I am going back to play some gamepass on PC.
Seems like as PS5 stock is up theirs is down...Series s is more available than X...but that combined with a lack of exclusives and Sony stock being waaaay up I see why they had the decline predicted in their books prior.

Top Bottom