• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft says there will not be a native version of Forza Motorsport releasing on Xbox One, it will be a cloud version.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/n...e-is-a-cloud-version-not-native/1100-6510927/
"There will not be a native Xbox One version of the game," Microsoft said.

Turn 10's new Forza Motorsport game that was detailed during this week's Developer Direct event is not coming to Xbox One, as least not natively. The game will be playable on Xbox One, but it will be available as a streaming title through the cloud.

In a support page post, Microsoft said the new Forza Motorsport was built "from the ground up" to take advantage of the "full power and performance" of the Xbox Series X|S systems, not Xbox One.

"While there will not be a native Xbox One version of the game, Xbox One players can stream Forza Motorsport through Xbox Cloud Gaming included in Xbox Game Pass Ultimate," Microsoft said.

The new Forza Motorsport title will be available natively on Xbox Series X|S and PC. Like all other Microsoft first-party games, it will be available through Game Pass, too.

In terms of performance, Forza Motorsport players on Series X can expect a 4K/60fps experience, while Series S players are getting 1080p/60fps. Performance on PC will depend on a player's setup. The PC system requirements have not been announced.

Given the age of the Xbox One--it launched in 2013--it makes sense that Microsoft would be moving away from the platform these days, at least in terms of native support. This week's surprise-launch, Hi-Fi Rush, also did not have an Xbox One release. And native Xbox One releases for the new Fable and Avowed are supposedly not planned.

Additionally, marquee 2023 titles like Starfield and Redfall could be cloud versions, too. In a June 2021 blog post, Microsoft said those titles "require the speed, performance, and technology of the Xbox Series X|S," and thus may not come to Xbox One natively but instead release via the cloud.

Microsoft's cloud games are streamed on external servers and beamed to supported machines, so in this way, a console from 2013 can play a 2023 game with the same or similar quality. The major potential catch is that, because games are streamed, it requires a stable and consistent connection. Microsoft's cloud streaming platform is already up and running and allows players to stream games to any supported device, including the Xbox One, mobile phones, and tablets, among other devices.

Good to see that Microsoft is moving away from crossgen more and more. Having the ability to stream as fine, as long as the games aren't being developed for the Jaguar in mind anymore.

Hopefully this game comes out sooner than later, 2023 needs to be a good year.

NickFire

I want one of those tough choice memes for myself, with a bad reaction to mention of AAA games on cloud, or a good reaction to current gen only.

Actually, its not needed. Good reaction to current gen only wins.

Kvally

Banned

Pelta88

giphy.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good call. Xbox One gamers getting cloud service is good enough IMO. Gets to a point in gaming you got to move ahead. Even in PC gaming with all the specs support, you arent going to get many big name names supporting old ass OS and specs. Even the minimum specs call for Windows 10 for probably all new games.

X-Wing

Considering they probably have metrics on how many gamers on Xbox One can use the service it's a safe bet for them. It's also a way of pushing the Xbox One owners that are not on Game Pass to subscribe to it (since the previous attempt by doubling the price of Live Gold failed).

Freeza93

Banned
w
Honestly, this is pretty ingenious. Make the game current gen only, but have a streamable version to play on legacy systems. You can still put it on Gamepass and allow legacy systems to play the new hotness. Pretty smart.
Win win.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

NickFire

But then there wouldn't be a delay if they gave up, lol
That would depend on when they gave up.

Of course, technically we don't actually know that it's delayed. Seems less likely it will hit Spring with the ongoing silence, but it still might. Could even be a situation where the game is basically done, but the planned marketing materials need to be revised if they changed plans recently.

Anyway, I'm just deep in the rabbit hole of wondering why they didn't trumpet this to the heavens last year when people were speculating over leaks or on the day we learned GT was cross gen.

Jinzo Prime

Nintendo already does this with games that are too heavy to run on the Switch. Never tried a cloud version, but the concept absolutely works.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Seems like it would be better to just not make it available for that platform than to make a cloud version

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Cloud gaming isn’t there yet, at least as far as I’ve tried.
If your connection has minimal line noise, it's great. Up until recently, xcloud was a hit or miss experience. I called my isp and got the tech to look into my signal to noise ratio and it turned out to be sub par. They came out and ran new lines and I went from around 450Mbps to over 950Mbps with a packet loss of 0%. Latency went from mid 70's, down to 40 or below.

No joke, it's easy to forgot you're streaming a game. I can play fast twitch games like fps no problem now.

Edit: this may not be feasible if you live in an apartment where one node supports many users.

Last edited:
That would depend on when they gave up.

Of course, technically we don't actually know that it's delayed. Seems less likely it will hit Spring with the ongoing silence, but it still might. Could even be a situation where the game is basically done, but the planned marketing materials need to be revised if they changed plans recently.

Anyway, I'm just deep in the rabbit hole of wondering why they didn't trumpet this to the heavens last year when people were speculating over leaks or on the day we learned GT was cross gen.

Well if it's coming out spring of this year, they need to get the promotes, retailer deals, and marketing started before late February to build hype. I remember March-April was the original frame that was going around so who knows that "might" still be a thing, though that would be them going back on them saying Red Fall would release first, so unless they do that it's probably going to be start of summer.

Makes sense too, given they need to improve X console stock. Not sure they can get that done in spring.

NickFire

Well if it's coming out spring of this year, they need to get the promotes, retailer deals, and marketing started before late February to build hype. I remember March-April was the original frame that was going around so who knows that "might" still be a thing, though that would be them going back on them saying Red Fall would release first, so unless they do that it's probably going to be start of summer.

Makes sense too, given they need to improve X console stock. Not sure they can get that done in spring.
I didn't know they officially said Redfall comes first. I'll stop trying to find ways that my March 2023 prediction might still be correct now.

I didn't know they officially said Redfall comes first. I'll stop trying to find ways that my March 2023 prediction might still be correct now.

Yeah they said Starfield is after Redfall, https://www.pcgamesn.com/starfield/release-date-after-Redfall

But who knows, they might surprise us. Only issue with that is again, how long will it take them to produce enough consoles, primary the X? That's likely when they will have Starfield release date.

NickFire

Top Bottom