• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft says Sony is working on a Superman game

Barakov

Gold Member
The legal team representing Microsoft referenced a PlayStation Superman game in a document responding to the Competition and Markets Authority's (CMA) provisional findings regarding concerns the company's nearly $70 billion acquisition of the publisher may render Activision Blizzard games exclusive to Xbox should the merger go through... but that reference was most likely a typo.

In Section 2.20, where it discusses the impact the merger will have on PlayStation exclusive titles on Xbox console sales, it wrote, "This applies for 'big titles' like God of War and Superman. There has never been evidence that exclusivity of one single franchise can drive console sales."

The problem is, a Superman game hasn't been made for the PS5 or PS4. In fact, the last time a Superman game was made for a PlayStation console was Superman Returns, the video game adaptation of the 2006 movie of the same name starring Brandon Routh as the Man of Steel, for PS2.

The superhero game Microsoft's attorneys probably meant to write in that section is Marvel's Spider-Man, as it was mentioned three times throughout the document. Insomniac Games made that game and Spider-Man: Miles Morales exclusively for PS4 and PS5. Although, both games aren't necessarily PlayStation-exclusive titles anymore since they got ported over to PC last fall, especially the remastered version of the former.

I don't know what's funnier : that Sony is making a Superman game or that Microsoft is butthurt about it.

7ZiBzJJ.jpg

Esca

In Section 2.20, where it discusses the impact the merger will have on PlayStation exclusive titles on Xbox console sales, it wrote, "This applies for 'big titles' like God of War and Superman. There has never been evidence that exclusivity of one single franchise can drive console sales."

Halo. Not only did that game drive console sales, it's also responsible for giving Xbox recognition and sales they needed to actually get into the market

"This figure shows that the impact of PlayStation exclusive releases on Xbox consoles sales is. There has never been evidence that exclusivity of one single franchise can drive console sales."

MS constantly trying to have it both ways. Talk about not taking COD away, but then instantly talk about how if (read when) they take it away, PS will be fine.

It also seems they are arguing that Sony's multiple exclusives hurts Xbox, but Xbox owning just one exclusive franchise (COD) wouldn't hurt PS. Uh, maybe someone should tell MS they already own multiple exclusive franchises. Even more, now, with Bethesda.

Something tells me these poor arguments, along with typos, won't sway the CMA, which seemed to have done their homework with their last decision.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

A superman game could be fun, you just need to give him a cosmic level threath to fight instead of shitty underpowered criminals and lex luthor. Youd pretty much have to fight darkseid.

But yeah this is a typo.

Last edited:

sinnergy

All these exclusive that Sony takes .. how is this in the good interest of gamers , gamers that play on Nintendo or Xbox? Atari ? Are they not entitled to Insomniac and Naughty Dig or Nixxes games ?

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I do think there are some cool things you could do with a “mature” Superman game. I imagine it’d kinda be like being Homelander in The Boys.

homelander-crowd.gif

But you’d need a lot of cool physics stuff for it to be worthwhile. Buildings crumbling, bodies being severed by lasers etc. etc.

Last edited:

midnightAI

We at Sue D'Basturds believe that Soony is currently working on a 'SuperDuperMan' game along with 'The First of Them' and 'Ghost of SushiMama' and that m'lud is why it's not fair, it's really not fair, why can't my client make games like this, it's just not fair. Please let us buy Activision/Blizzard, pretty please with sprinkles on top, if not then I'll scream and I'll scream until I'm sick. Kisses.

Last edited:

chonga

"This figure shows that the impact of PlayStation exclusive releases on Xbox consoles sales is. There has never been evidence that exclusivity of one single franchise can drive console sales."

MS constantly trying to have it both ways. Talk about not taking COD away, but then instantly talk about how if (read when) they take it away, PS will be fine.

It also seems they are arguing that Sony's multiple exclusives hurts Xbox, but Xbox owning just one exclusive franchise (COD) wouldn't hurt PS. Uh, maybe someone should tell MS they already own multiple exclusive franchises. Even more, now, with Bethesda.

Something tells me these poor arguments, along with typos, won't sway the CMA, which seemed to have done their homework with their last decision.
It is a valid argument to be making from them. Many regulators are basically not believing Microsoft right now, or taking the view that a fixed term agreement is great, but that ends at some point.

So Microsoft is simply saying well even if you don't believe us it doesn't matter because your concerns are not valid because exclusives don't drive sales like you think they do.

Though I would take issue with that assumption. Exclusive games don't sell consoles? Yeah, right.

graywolf323

Gold Member

These brain dead console war twitter accounts are a real hoot

I mean that‘s the same reason I’ve seen Xbox fanboys give for why Microsoft buying Bethesda and making them Xbox exclusive instead is okay

obviously they would have never been PlayStation exclusive though (doubt they could have gotten ES6 and at best Starfield would have been one year like Deathloop/Ghostwire)

MS talks out of both sides of their mouth and you can see it from their PR too + how their shills than repeat the contradicting statements without any shame

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I know people are saying its a typo, but I think a Superman game could get boring pretty fast unless you can fly across the entire planet or something.

Yeah, you'd need to be able to travel the whole planet for it to work.

Then you'd need to recreate every inch of the planet. Every city, town, village. Every forest, and ocean. All relevant animal life etc.

You'd also need to make it fully destructible, so you could reduce mountains to rubble and completely destroy whole cities.

Why stop at Earth? To make it more believable, Superman should be able to travel around the solar system with ease, so now we're creating more planets and moons to explore/destroy.

The technology isn't there to do Superman justice.

Mobilemofo

If Sony were to make a Superman game, it would be a generic VR title called "Flight of Superman" or something.
Yeah..it would be made with the very latest unity tech, and if licensing suddenly became an issue for some reason, they could simply name it Man Flight 2023 and offer a palette option that allows for color change.

God I'm good.

The legal team representing Microsoft referenced a PlayStation Superman game in a document responding to the Competition and Markets Authority's (CMA) provisional findings regarding concerns the company's nearly $70 billion acquisition of the publisher may render Activision Blizzard games exclusive to Xbox should the merger go through... but that reference was most likely a typo.

The problem is, a Superman game hasn't been made for the PS5 or PS4. In fact, the last time a Superman game was made for a PlayStation console was Superman Returns, the video game adaptation of the 2006 movie of the same name starring Brandon Routh as the Man of Steel, for PS2.

[/URL]

The superhero game Microsoft's attorneys probably meant to write in that section is Marvel's Spider-Man, as it was mentioned three times throughout the document. Insomniac Games made that game and Spider-Man: Miles Morales exclusively for PS4 and PS5. Although, both games aren't necessarily PlayStation-exclusive titles anymore since they got ported over to PC last fall, especially the remastered version of the former.

I would like a superman game though. Especially if it would run on an engine that has great phsyics and destruction.
Think of "Man of Steel" like fights against other Superhumans/Aliens.

Top Bottom