• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Rumored To Be Working On An Xbox Modding Platform

"Microsoft has apparently been working on a new modding platform for Xbox consoles to not only push the scope of mods in support but also make it easier for Xbox players to mod their favorite games in the near future.

Earlier today, a series of new leaks (via Reddit) allegedly obtained through a third-party source involved in the development of Starfield claimed how publisher Bethesda Softworks will be utilizing its new next-generation Creation Engine.

Bethesda Softworks has notably already expressed how its proprietary Creation Engine has been overhauled to match next-generation expectations, an overhaul which the publisher stated was the largest to date."

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
"Disclaimer: I'm by no means an insider. I've talked to some people who "might" be in a position to know certain things and gathered some of this info on my own which was either already available on the internet or less. Some of it will be more straight-forward, some of it will be more vague and go into the rumour/speculation alley. Also please appologize for my english. If I say something like "There is now..." or "the new engine features.." please don't take it as a fact but with a grain of salt. Also please apologize for my english."

Seems legit.. article is based on a reddit post containing that statement, and some vague mention of a modding system?

Iced Arcade

"Disclaimer: I'm by no means an insider. I've talked to some people who "might" be in a position to know certain things and gathered some of this info on my own which was either already available on the internet or less. Some of it will be more straight-forward, some of it will be more vague and go into the rumour/speculation alley. Also please appologize for my english. If I say something like "There is now..." or "the new engine features.." please don't take it as a fact but with a grain of salt. Also please apologize for my english."

Seems legit.. article is based on a reddit post containing that statement, and some vague mention of a modding system?
Do you expect a high profile CNN report for a rumor?

Lol smh

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
If only the “Xbox insiders” played more games than spreading rumors … things would be calmer but then again I guess everyone is bored…

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Do you expect a high profile CNN report for a rumor?

Lol smh

lol

Just pointing out that even as rumors go, the person spreading this basically says "some of this is speculation and I'm not gonna tell you which part", and then the rest is "I may / may not have talked to people who may / may not know things" lol

alienator

i cant wait for the community to fix and mod starfield on the xbox if it launches in the state pretty much all bethesda games have launched

LMJ

Regardless if this is true or not, this should be a thing on all consoles. No reason not to.

Lol yeah there is, because Sony and Ms (and Nintendo)s names would be associated with them, and the usual "think of the children" crowd would be up in arms the moment a "risqué" or *gasp* nude mod was released...

I think its a great idea, never against more freedom, but it's a P.R nightmare in the works

I.E NSFW

Last edited:
Good but make it wider than just Bethesda please.

Halo has been crying out for official modding support forever. It's fucking Minecraft 2.0 waiting to happen.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Lol yeah there is, because Sony and Ms (and Nintendo)s names would be associated with them, and the usual "think of the children" crowd would be up in arms the moment a "risqué" or *gasp* nude mod was released...

I think its a great idea, never against more freedom, but it's a P.R nightmare in the works

I.E NSFW

am i the only cunt that tried to click on that picture and came away a littler sadder?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Very interesting. I’ll be curious to see is anything comes of this.

But right now, I’m more excited by the confirmation of upgrades to the Creation Engine. I’m currently replaying Skyrim, and the 4 shadowed lights limitation is awful. I’m very much looking forward to that and various other things not being an issue.

I doubt it would work.

I mean, sure, it woud be great if it worked out. But the issue is that Consoles are walled gardens, and that means the Gardner, the platform owner, have legal responsibility over the contents in that garden.

The whole point of mods, is to put in things that developers would never have allowed to put in themselves. It is only permitted because technically PCs are owned and operated by the user and not the game studio, so if the customer mod in BotW Zelda or Thomas the Tank Engine, no one can sue the studio. And this will never change for as long as consoles are consoles.

Top Bottom