• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Rewards |OT| Get Game Pass for free

Topher

Gold Member
Yep. Anyone can invest a few minutes each day into building up Microsoft Rewards points and redeem those points for Microsoft Rewards. Those diligent enough will never have to pay a dime. This will show you how.

Disclaimer: No, I have no affiliation with Microsoft whatsoever and I do not benefit from anything posted here. This is a guide for those who are interested in using Microsoft Rewards. Nothing more than that. I have already received mod approval for this.

BUT FIRST

Before you go any further, you need to make sure you are eligible as Microsoft Rewards is not available in every country.

So check this page.

Get to the Point(s)

Let's talk first about how points can get Game Pass for free. Here is the endgame:

UKvV7YE.png

One month of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is 12,000 points. To get 12,000 points in a month you need to earn 400 points a day. Don't worry about the "Level 2 discount'. You get to Level 2 automatically when you reach 500 points.

Another option is to save up and get a bigger discount by setting a goal of 3 months of Game Pass. This currently what I do.

nKEK6Zc.png

EDIT. LOLCats LOLCats pointed out below that your points are better used on rewards money vs Game Pass Ultimate directly. It is a good point.

Yeah that's what I'm saying you're better suited using your rewards money on other things like gift cards than the ultimate. You can get better deals on ultimate with your real dollars

PyOujEg.jpg

Either way, remember the magic number is around 400 points a day.

Fine....how do I get the points?

Points are achieved primarily in three ways.

1) Web searches via Bing. Yeah.....I know. Bing still sucks. But it doesn't have to be that bad. More on that later.
2) Daily activities on the Rewards page. Quizzes, polls, etc.
3) Bing searches on mobile.

So here is the Microsoft Rewards page. This is where you keep up with your points and do the daily activities. By just going to the Rewards page every day you automatically get 150 points. So now you only need 250.

wsWR21e.png

Click on Points Breakdown and you'll get a summary of your current day's points. So just by using Edge and doing 30 Bing searches, you've knocked out another 170 points. Now you only need 80 points to reach 400. As you can see, there is a limit to how many points you can get in a day.

UsNRpzY.png

The daily activities are simple survey or trivia questions. The daily activities will give you between 30 and 70 or so points a day so really you are down to a few mobile searches to get the remainder.

t8PPzMg.png

There is also a Microsoft Rewards app on Xbox consoles where you can perform activities for Rewards points.

That's it. Doing all that takes less than 10 minutes a day.

But Bing? Really?

Yeah.....Bing is the key here. But remember, we only talking about 30 searches on desktop and a few more on mobile. It doesn't have to be anything complex. Microsoft doesn't care what you search for as long as it is a unique search for that day. You can search each letter of the alphabet and that will work. Every search per day much be unique though. You can't search the letter A 50 times. But you can search the alphabet and then start over searching AA, BB, CC, and so on.

So if that is to much trouble then you can always find ways of automating these searches. There are plenty of ways.

One such way is to create a collection in Edge. Create a bunch of tabs with Bing searches. Doesn't have to be anything specific. I have tabs Bing-searching each letter of the alphabet. Then in collections, click open all in new tabs. Tons of points coming your way.

Getting Started

So if you are still here and are willing to invest a few minutes each day to get Game Pass (or other stuff from MS) without paying a dime then this is what you do.

1) Create a Microsoft account. If you already have an Xbox then use that account. You want to use the login you would use to sign in to Xbox. If you don't have a Microsoft account then go here.

2) Sign into the Microsoft Rewards page. When you log in, the page will ask if you want to stay logged in. Say yes to avoid having to log in every single time.

3) Start searching and doing the activities. Whatever browser you are using to do this, make sure you are signed into your Microsoft account. If you are signed in then you will see your Rewards points progress on the top right of the Bing page. The points will update with each search. You need to be logged in on your mobile browser as well.

rpHMJCU.png

Xbox Quests

If you are on Xbox then make sure you have the Rewards app and as there are more ways to generate points there along with Xbox quests. As is the case with the mobile app.

There you go. That may seem like a lot, but as you can see, I've accumulated a lot of points and it really doesn't take much time. I don't plan to pay for Game Pass as long as Microsoft Rewards is around.

Buster Keaton The Blacksmith GIF by Maudit

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yeah man it’s great. I’ve currently got 52k points. Need 64k for the Electric Volt pad, been saving since Feb/March time. Before that I used to use the points to buy games when they were on sale. Game Pass isn’t the best value as you can often find it much cheaper at retail, hardware all the way.

Alx

I'm doing most of the Bing daily activities, but am nowhere near 12000 points a month. Even adding the rewards from gamepass quests (which are actually less tedious and can make you discover new games), it's still not enough.
But it's ok, I'm still getting enough credits to spend on stuff like season passes for F2P games.

Bragr

Banned
This is useless and a fucking scam in Europe and I highly recommend people to stay away from this, here you mostly just get points from trying games and getting achievements, you don't have as many options as you do in the U.S. and you spend hours and hours gathering points every month and it still takes several months to get anywhere close to getting Game Pass. I tried it once and never again, fuck this bullshit to hell.

It also becomes this compulsory bullshit you spend a few minutes with every day, it starts to become like ADHD kinda shit where you gotta log on and get that fucking achievement to get some points. It's such a fucking bullshit way to scam people into spending hours downloading and trying games you never wanna play. You get peanuts for nothing, the amount of time you spend you should get 4 years of Game Pass.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I’m sorry but, you can find ultimate at 13.33$ a month on Amazon, so I’m sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

13.33$/30

That’s 0.44 cents a day. So instead of spending 0.44 cents a day and be done with it, you would rather waste “minutes” of your day using bing and doing whatever activities?

Goddamn.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Its great to get something for free with minimal effort, but have you really thought about how valuable your own time is here?

You say "less than 10 mins a day", I'll be generous and say thats 5 mins, so 30 x 5 = 150 mins per month. You are taking up 2.5 hours of your time a month to save $15, so you are paying yourself $6/hr. If its 7.5 mins then thats an even worse deal.

How much money could you have made from working those extra hours in your actual job? $25? Even if overtime/extra hours doesn't apply to your job and you can't do a side job you've taken away 2.5 hours of your free time and paid yourself about $6/hr at best. Will you really notice doing 30 mins extra for 5 days a month at your job?

Wouldn't it be more efficient to look for "free month of GP" deals on food products you would buy anyway?

This is useless and a fucking scam in Europe and I highly recommend people to stay away from this, here you mostly just get points from trying games and getting achievements, you don't have as many options as you do in the U.S. and you spend hours and hours gathering points every month and it still takes several months to get anywhere close to getting Game Pass. I tried it once and never again, fuck this bullshit to hell.

It also becomes this compulsory bullshit you spend a few minutes with every day, it starts to become like ADHD kinda shit where you gotta log on and get that fucking achievement to get some points. It's such a fucking bullshit way to scam people into spending hours downloading and trying games you never wanna play. You get peanuts for nothing, the amount of time you spend you should get 4 years of Game Pass.

Beaten to it.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

It takes me around 60 seconds each day to complete the daily set/activities on my phone. I have Bing set to my default iPhone browser so that’s another 60 points a day, with no effort.

I use my Xbox nearly daily, and if there’s any monthly quests for playing a game (I only get the ones that require you to start the game) that I’ve not downloaded, I just use xCloud rather than downloading an entire game.

UK based. No idea how you can describe it as a scam. You also get 50 points just for getting an achievement daily, and there’s regularly a monthly bonus punchcard worth anything from 500-2000 points which will take 30seconds to a few minutes to complete.

Last edited:

elliot5

I hear it sucks in Europe but in the US it's great. Takes less than a minute to get all the Bing stuff done. Just click through actors or movies.

Game pass quests are extremely simple especially when they're xCloud activated.

Game pass mobile stuff takes 10 seconds.

I have 110k points after like 5.5 months? Or less? That's like $125 in credit from doing bare minimum stuff when I have down time. I can get the refresh console or an expansion slot or some game for free. It's pretty sweet

Fyi: go to reddit r/Microsoftrewards for updates or answers to the this or that quizzes

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Ultimate via rewards isnt a good deal

You can also redeem regular Game Pass for PC for 6,800 points a month or 20,400 for three months. Or a MS gift card.

I’m sorry but, you can find ultimate at 13.33$ a month on Amazon, so I’m sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

13.33$/30

That’s 0.44 cents a day. So instead of spending 0.44 cents a day and be done with it, you would rather waste “minutes” of your day using bing and doing whatever activities?

Goddamn.

Ever need something to do while sitting on the toilet?

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Last edited:
All of this + just playing the games and beating them is one of the easiest ways to get free points. I'm paid up for gamepass until April 2023 so my wife uses my points to grab giftcards for her morning coffee all the time lol.

I remember during the 360 days when folks figured out how to game microsoft's old reward program that would give you free controllers, headsets and such...*Looks around*...I had like 7 360 controllers cause of that thing back in college lol

Antwix

I just do this while taking a shit. Takes like 2 minutes to do the set and mobile searches. Then I have like 40 pages bookmarked in the Edge browser that I just right-click > Open in New tab. That's it. Done.

I have like 185k points and I'll probably just redeem them for a couple years of XBL Gold then do the Game Pass conversion when my Game Pass runs out later this year.

AJUMP23

I have been using rewards for a while. It takes me about 4 months to build up enough points to get 3 months. But I do my daily quizzes and try to keep my streak alive. It has been cool so far.

Impotaku

Does sound like the gaming version of feeling around inside the back of the sofa looking for some money to scrape together to buy something, i mean it's probably great for kids i guess that have loads of free time and don't have much money they can grind enough doing tedious shit to cobble enough for a gamepass sub. Actual working adults will just buy what they want, as time is money and this scheme sounds like a chore.

Kev Kev

yeah this doesnt make sense for the time invested

your better off working a gig job like instacart or door dash. do one or two orders, and in less than an hour you have enough money for gamepass.

Kuranghi

Ever need something to do while sitting on the toilet?
I just do this while taking a shit.

I love the fact that somewhere a Bing executive is in a boardroom saying "Our search engagement numbers have gone up 20 fold since last year!!" *everyone cheers and does mini fist pumps*

*cut to Antwix Antwix + Topher Topher and 10k others sitting on the toilet shitting while performing spurious Bing searches for random character strings*

Back in the office:

"Whoa people are going crazy for jjjhhhhfas! Pump more ad money into jjjhhhhfas!

Last edited:

WoodyStare

I just buy ultimate around the holidays for much cheaper. I use my MS Rewards points to buy Amazon gift cards, which I then turn into PSN credit. Between Game Pass and MS Rewards I never have to spend much real money to play games anymore.
Same here, I believe it’s around 10,500 points for a $10 Amazon gift card. I usually apply that towards Game Pass Ultimate when they have it on sale, or towards PSN credit. Recently got Demons Souls for $30 because of this (plus the sale).

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Same here, I believe it’s around 10,500 points for a $10 Amazon gift card. I usually apply that towards Game Pass Ultimate when they have it on sale, or towards PSN credit. Recently got Demons Souls for $30 because of this (plus the sale).

Stealing from Philus to pay Jimus! You naughty chap.

Sexy Flirt GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Thats a mega deal on DS though, I've still not bought it because I might just quit on it like a big bitch.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I open my VirtualBox session of Windows 10, and then run an AutoHotKey script to complete the Bing searches. Then I minimize the VirtualBox while it's running, and go in 5 minutes later or so and close it. I can't fathom why people are against other people spending their time doing this. It's not for you... cool. Just live your own life.

Topher

Gold Member
I open my VirtualBox session of Windows 10, and then run an AutoHotKey script to complete the Bing searches. Then I minimize the VirtualBox while it's running, and go in 5 minutes later or so and close it. I can't fathom why people are against other people spending their time doing this. It's not for you... cool. Just live your own life.

Nice. I wrote a C# program:

C#:
        static void run()
        {
            var xmlDocument = new XmlDocument();
            int count = 0;
            int totalcount = 0;
            xmlDocument.Load("/temp/Sony PlayStation 2.xml");
            foreach (XmlNode node in
                from XmlNode elem in xmlDocument.ChildNodes[1]
                orderby Guid.NewGuid()
                select elem)
            {
                if (totalcount != 60)

{
                    totalcount++;
                    try
                    {
                        string game = node.Attributes["name"].InnerText;
                        openpage(game);
                        count++;
                        if (count == 5)
                        {
                            Thread.Sleep(5000);
                            count = 1;
                        }
                    }
                    catch (Exception exception)
                    {
                        Console.WriteLine(exception.Message);
                    }
                }
            }

Thread.Sleep(10000);
        }
        static void openpage(string search)
        {
            var uri = "https://www.bing.com/search?q=" + search.Replace(" ","%20");
            var psi = new System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo();
            psi.UseShellExecute = true;
            psi.FileName = uri;
            System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(psi);
        }

It searches for random PS2 games that are pulled out of an XML file. I have it scheduled to run on my computer each day.

I included a google search in my initial post that brings back links on how to do stuff like what you and I do, but seems that wasn't noticed.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
You can also redeem regular Game Pass for PC for 6,800 points a month or 20,400 for three months. Or a MS gift card.
Yeah that's what I'm saying you're better suited using your rewards money on other things like gift cards than the ultimate. You can get better deals on ultimate with your real dollars

PyOujEg.jpg

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

PyOujEg.jpg

Good point. I've added this to the OP.

reinking

Gold Member
I have been doing this for years for Gold. Getting Gold was so easy but Game Pass I fall short each month. I'm not going to put enough effort into the "job" so I will typically hit up the daily search on Edge but rarely will I do the mobile searches. Funny thing is, as long as I have been doing this I had no idea I got points for visiting the rewards page. Thanks for the thread.

Blond

Banned

13.33$/30

Goddamn.
You could door dash for 2-3 hours a month and make more real money than all these "Do X get free shit" stuff and it'll be a better use of your time but then again wtf do I know.

You could door dash for 2-3 hours a month and make more real money than all these "Do X get free shit" stuff and it'll be a better use of your time but then again wtf do I know.
People like coupon hunting and getting stuff for free. It's not for everyone though. If you just want to sub and not even think about it, there's value in that. If you want it for free, that's where this thread comes in.

Dural

There's an Android app that will do all the daily searches for you, haven't found the same for iOS. I've been using MS rewards for years, usually save up until MS or XB gift cards are on sale and buy a bunch.

Wizz-Art

I love the MS Rewards program and find that it's hands down the best loyalty program there is. I have Bing as my default search engine on PC and my Android phone for a couple of years now and found that the search engine gives me much more relevant results than Google that always likes to push results with companies paying to be on top of their list.

Every day starts with me starting the rewards page and do the quizes and so on while I enjoy my breakfast, I found this page very useful to keep track of all the rewards related stuff → Microsoft Rewards (reddit.com)

I always have some easy gamerscore game running for the daily achievement reward on the Xbox. I do the weekly quests, the Game Pass challenges as I always have the Game Pass games installed anyway but you also could use Xcloud for that. I mostly buy my stuff every Tuesday when there are new game, movies & tv deals available and once a month for the whole month there are 2500 points up for grabs if you purchase 3 movies worth at least $4 and because I love movies I rarely miss that promotion.

I use the points to get giftcards though when there are big sales like the summer sale, the reasoning is quite simple. Those giftcards when buying stuff with it still gives me new MS Rewards points, converting those points to Game Pass Ultimate doesn't. The 15 bucks a month to be subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate I don't really feel. Recently I pre-ordered Forza Horizon 5 Premium Edition with a giftcard I redeemed for 91.000 MS Reward Points making the game and it's DLC essentially free which is awesome, getting rewarded for things I did already feels good and the extra daily tasks are maybe 10 minutes of work including getting an achievement.

Oh, and on average I earn enough points to have $300-400 in giftcards redeemed a year.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Door Dash sounds like a helluva a lot more work than what I'm putting into MS Rewards.
Overtime? Definitely not. More of your time will be spent trying to get something free than finding a beer money gig and calling it a day. DoorDash in a decent area is 35 bucks a hour usually plus tips.

Do it for 5 hours over a couple weekends and you have a year of Gamepass.

Topher

Gold Member
Overtime? Definitely not. More of your time will be spent trying to get something free than finding a beer money gig and calling it a day. DoorDash in a decent area is 35 bucks a hour usually plus tips.

Do it for 5 hours over a couple weekends and you have a year of Gamepass.

Nah....I'm good. I don't want a part time job. I can do MS rewards sitting at home. Big difference

But to each their own, right?

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
People like coupon hunting and getting stuff for free. It's not for everyone though. If you just want to sub and not even think about it, there's value in that. If you want it for free, that's where this thread comes in.
Well that’s my point, all this hamster wheeling amounts to nothing lol. You spend 3 minutes a day on this over 3 months, you’ve already spent what someone does in a Saturday morning with less time investment and it’s something you do once. A year of gamepass while bullshitting a Saturday morning vs Trying to game a system from a company’s failed search engine that’s so desperate to get people to use it that they’ve resorted to “reward’s”

Nothings free if it requires your time.

Top Bottom